Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Irish Business Online

Options
  • 21-07-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭

Just visited the site to sign up.

Absolutely amazed to find you can't register a .ie address.

If it's all about getting Irish business online (which the name would suggest), surely that's a massive shortfalling of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

.ie addresses are closely guarded by the IEDR - it keeps .ie name as premium names tat are properly attached to the rightful companies and stops squatters taking the names and holding you to ransom.

You should be quote thankful that a .ie is not available to purchase by just anyone as a .ie is seen as a sign of a secure and safe site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

Yeah, I know that, but it should be an option. Woeful mistake to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Does seem a bit weird alright! You would think that would be one of the places you would be able to register a .ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭thesteve

Its my understanding that the workflow on getting your business online is completely automated. Registering an ie is not, there's a manual check to see if you meet the criteria to own a domain before the domain is 'yours'. Hence automation would be impossible.

That said, I doubt there's anything stopping you registering the ie yourself and using this service on your domain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

.ie is 2-3 times more expensive than the ones offer by GIBO. So considering GBO is free for year 1, it makes little business sense for them bundle in the more expensive domains. Gift horse and mouth tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement