Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ for 30+ people

Options
  • 21-07-2013 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

There's a few people calling over soon for a BBQ and I'm looking for idea's on how to be as lazy as possible in cooking. The thoughts of standing there over the grill for a few hours churning out the usual sausages and burgers fills me with dread when I'd much rather be filling myself with food and beer.

So, I was thinking of getting a spit roast pig. I've had a look around and google tells me there's a few guys that will do this. It's a bit costly but it's that or cooking all day. Anyone get one of these before and is there much cooking involved? Was it worth it?

Alternatively I was thinking of butterflying 4 or 5 legs of lamb but there's still a lot of cooking time for these but it should be less work than burgers, etc.

I've never had to cook for 30+ people before and it's starting to give me a sinking feeling even thinking about it. Any advice welcome.

I have 2 weeks and won't be able to spend much time in the days ahead of it preparing. Most will be done on the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭clearodara

Had one of these a while back and I found the best way to to this is pre cook all your burgers, sausages, chicken and what ever else in the oven. Place all the food in a large container and cover with tin foil. Then 1/2 an hour before your guests arrive whack on the bbq and get it fired up. It will only take 2 minutes of so per item to heat it and flip it. Your food will be cooked perfectly and will also have the charred bbq flavor. ;) best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do a forum search for 'hog roast' for more info... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

clearodara wrote: »
    Had one of these a while back and I found the best way to to this is pre cook all your burgers, sausages, chicken and what ever else in the oven. Place all the food in a large container and cover with tin foil. Then 1/2 an hour before your guests arrive whack on the bbq and get it fired up. It will only take 2 minutes of so per item to heat it and flip it. Your food will be cooked perfectly and will also have the charred bbq flavor. ;) best of luck
    I do it in exactly the reverse manner, I cook all the stuff on the BBQ and as it cooks stick it in the oven and cover it to rest and stay warm.
    When you have a mob ready you can just open the oven and start doling the cooked meat out.
    I find that stuff cooked and then BBQ'd doesn't taste as BBQey:)
    This way you can also have most of the stuff cooked and still have time for a quick shower to get the smell of BBQ off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

Do a forum search for 'hog roast' for more info... ;)

I did that and from what I've been seeing I'd be stupid not to go with with. Minimum effort and loads of food. Checked out where to get one locally and it's not as ridiculously expensive as I thought it may be.

Have decided not to cook anything else but instead have a decent selection of cold cuts such as smoked salmon/mackerel, leg of serrano ham and some other salady type stuff. And some of these blaa things the locals keep raving about.

I've never had a whole leg of serrano ham in the house before so really looking forward to this. Gout, gout, gout!

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement