Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today's torture/questions/problem.

Options
  • 21-07-2013 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I was out today for a few birds. I left the no 1/ full choke in when heading out. By mistake I might add.
    I had some 32g 7.5s some 6's and some 4's. I tryed the 4's first dropped two crows easy at about 75 paces. After that I was using 6/7.5's and I found it very hard to hit anything. Even the birds that come in slow and are as if they are hanging g in front of you.
    Now some I know I definitely should of hit every thing was right with aim. But the birds were hard to drop.
    I know I have to pattern more ammo and chokes.
    was it just down two my Choke or what do ye think.

I seem a couple of patterns in the field today 3 of them in about 50 yards. I though there might be a foxs den close by. Could this be a sign of a fox rolli g around or that. There was also some very visible track where something was walking trough the crop aswell.
    B1291632-4E7D-403F-A906-33887089BF21-411-0000005BD74A5262_zps61162e4a.jpgF0717114-3F25-40FA-AB52-483063F04AC1-411-0000005BF3342E4C_zpsc3337d32.jpg

Also one last thing the horse flys oh jasus 17 bits 17 lumps. And there all itchy does any one else have this problem and is there anything I can do to avoid them.

Thanks in advance guys.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

was it just down two my Choke or what do ye think.
    I had this with Eley 32gr 6's. I found it hard to drop anything cleanly with them. At first i thought it was me, my aim, etc. When i switched to another cartridge i seemed to drop more, and often.

Now it could be in my head. IOW when i switched to my regular cartridge i knew they were good, and immediately saw the difference. However i've done a lot of shooting over the last few days and have missed some real sitters. I thought i had them dead to rights, and they were "hanging" too, but still missed. In the heat of the moment i could have looked up along the rib instead of straight down it, or pulled too fast and not steadied myself or lastly not given enough lead. Simple fact is maybe the lighter cartridge is just not patterning good enough for a clean shot.

Were all your problems with them? Did the problem arise with the other cartridges?
    I seem a couple of patterns in the field today 3 of them in about 50 yards. I though there might be a foxs den close by. Could this be a sign of a fox rolli g around or that.
    Tiny, tiny aliens. Marking their landing spot. :D

Could be anything. While it is trampled down i don't see a "flat" spot where anything has slept or being for a while. Seems to be just flattened. Thw circular pattern makes me think of a fox or something (like a dog) doing circles before sitting down to eat or sleep. Hard to call.
    Also one last thing the horse flys oh jasus 17 bits 17 lumps. And there all itchy does any one else have this problem and is there anything I can do to avoid them.
    Don't talk to me. Sitting here scratching the crap out of two of them on my left hand. I normally wear a thin pair of gloves when out, but did not brig them yesterday. Won't make that mistake again.

When out i use a pair of WetMacs or any similar, thin glove. Allows me to work the shotgun but not sweat the hands of me. I also use a Deerhunter sneaky suit. Great for standing in against ditches, and hedges, no sweating as it's all fine mesh, andkeeps the flies and fecking horseflys off me.

Not dear, and a life saver.

large-deerhunter-sneaky-3d-suit-500x500.jpg

A friend of mine wears a boonie with parafin on the rim, and when using netting he also has a small amount on it. now it keeps away the flies, but also everything within a mile that can smell it. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Cheers cass ill look up that suit. Infairness it would be good for all types of hunting. Eley 32g 6's is what they were your dead right. Some shots I had loads of time and really got my aim right and still missed. To be honest if it was me with some of the shots I may just give it up I was in complete disbelief a couple of times.

What choke do you use and what no cartridge do you use.

Infairness its a bit hard to see in the picture but one of the circles had like a little nest made up in the middle were all the corn was pulled around in a circle like it was to create a bit of beding.

I switch between Improved Modified (3/4) and Full choke. Mainly IM. Decent for the longer shots, and still able to reach out.

For cartridges i always bring out a good selection. Lately i'm using RC3's in 36gr 5s. Absolutely brilliant cartridges. Once i do my part they are down. I've also tried the Velocity 28gr 7.5s, but haven't used enough to give an opinion on the, yet.

Before that it was a mix. I switched between Eley (Alphamax, Maximum, Grand Prix, etc), and a few other brands before settling on Lyalvale Express 36gr 5's. They are still my preferred choice, but hard enough to get. I go to Jim McBride for mine, but as much as he gets in they sell like mad leaving only the really heavier loads which i'm not keen on (42grs +).

As for the flattened area. Might very well have been a fox, but in the day for one to settle down either to eat or sleep seems odd. Also i highly doubt it was anything like a deer, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Ab good no don't think it was a deer anyway I'm a bit far out for that. No there had been problems with chickens lately me and neighbours and the fox is very crafty. I haven't been able to locate a den either do I was hoping this is what it's from hoping the den is near here so I might start calling and baiting around there to see what happens.

Seems like your best bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I got bitten on my right hand dead in the middle friday evening and I still cant make out my knuckles with swelling. If I dont hold my hand up I can feel it throbbing. :( ****ing horse flies!!

I used to use eleys 32g 6 and found them good. Used rcs recently and I prefer them now. 7.5s are only any good if something comes in close if you're decoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

garv123 wrote: »
    I got bitten on my right hand dead in the middle friday evening and I still cant make out my knuckles with swelling. If I dont hold my hand up I can feel it throbbing. :( ****ing horse flies!!

I used to use eleys 32g 6 and found them good. Used rcs recently and I prefer them now. 7.5s are only any good if something comes in close if you're decoying.

I got bitten on small finger on left hand two weeks ago. Finger returned to normal size after a week, with cream from chemist. Thats the first time I was bitten on a bony part(on the knuckle) normally its a small lump on the bicep or calf where they get me.
    chemist gave me a spray to keep them away, which I used the next day, and no bites!! Jungle formula was the name of it I think.

Some react worse to it than others.

I've two bites on my left hand and other than an itch there is no red mark or swelling. My mate got bite on his arm, and has an inch red mark, and has to use cream.

Old wives tale is to use vinegar. not sure if it works, but not using is as i don't want to smell like a bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Heard the vinegar story alright, but similarly I dont want to smell like a bag of chips walking around a field.
    and then sure I'd only be getting hungry and having to get chips on the way home....

............ and having to get chips on the way home....
    Can't really defend that one. I'm guilty of it myself. :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

The lad in this video reckons the gamebore black gold's 32g 5's get the job done.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUDCQBQCdHc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Jungle formula is the only way to go, use it myself. Stops flies, mosquitoes and tics (makes it good for handling deer when the tics are in).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭insignia33

Havent got bitten this year myself thank god. But the wife was reading in one of her magazines that if you put a generous drop of olive oil on the bite mark it helps ease the itching so might be worth a go.

I out a no. 2 choke in the gun this evening so ill try it tomorrow evening.

Is the 2 a 3/4 or 1/4 choke.
    I also have a choke with no marks on it but its the lightest of them all I wonder is that a number 5.

Is the 2 a 3/4 or 1/4 choke.
    3/4
    I also have a choke with no marks on it but its the lightest of them all I wonder is that a number 5.
    Not all maufacturers use the same markings, but i'd guess with no markings it's the skeet choke.

Usually it's;
    Notches | Name | Old Name |
    1 | Full | Full |
    2 | Improved Modified | 3/4 |
    3 | Modified | 1/2 |
    4 | Improved Cylinder | 1/4 |
    5 | Cylinder | Open |

These are the main ones but other chokes (that Beretta do) are:
    • Extra full - Tighter than full
    • Light full - Not as tight as a full
    • Light modified - Not as tight as a 1/2 (modified) choke
    • Skeet - Slightly tighter than cylinder (i think).

These, afaik, have no markings in term of notches, but are differentiated by colour or other markings. So here is the Beretta list with name, colour, notch, and marking name.

Name | Colour | Notch/Star | Marking/Old name |
    Extra Full | White | None | XFULL |
    Full | Light Grey | 1 | F |
    Light Full | Dark Grey | None | LF |
    Improved Modified (IM) | Black | 2 | 3/4 |
    Modified | Green | 3 | 1/2 |
    Light Modified | Orange | None | LM |
    Improved Cylinder (IC) | Yellow | 4 | 1/4 |
    Skeet | Red or light Blue | None | SK |
    Cylinder (CL) | Dark Blue | 5 | CYL |

Cheers cass I think I may just pattern a few now. Make sure I'm right for the season coming up. Oh ye and for the harvest :)

A roll of grease proof paper, paper table covering, wallpaper, etc from any supermarket/hardware does the job.

Place the target at a set spot. Then simply step back the required distance rather than constantly moving the target. One thing i would say is to narrow your choices before starting. IOW don't have all your chokes, and ten different cartridges to test. You'll be at it all day, and other than being boring you may not need or remember half the results.

So if you are using two brands you need only fire one shot per brand, per choke. So 10 shots will give you all you need to know.

Advertisement