Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ham/Bacon in Sydney

Options
  • 22-07-2013 6:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

Had a search but haven't really come up with any recent threads.
    Cooking Christmas in July dinner this week and desperately looking for ham that someway tastes like Irish ham.
    I boiled a ham the first Christmas I was here (2009) and was so disappointed with the result, it was just about edible covered in gravy and turkey and stuffing. Other times I've had ham, it was too smoked. Is it just an urban legend that you can get good ham over here? Have heard a few people say "oh my friend says she gets ham that tastes like ham from home all the time" many times but yet have i to find it myself!

Has anyone found anything remotely like it in Sydney - if so, please share!! Not fussed about having to travel or fork out for it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You know you don't boil ham over here? All ham is already cooked, so by boiling it, you are over cooking it.
    I've bought ham from woolworths (usually a half leg) for xmas & xmas in July, glazed and baked it and it is great (90mins)

http://recipes.coles.com.au/recipes/902/maple-and-caramelised-orange-triple-smoked-ham/ was one I used a few years ago and it was fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭amybabes

The Ham we bought was definately not cooked - we did have to search hard to find it. Even boiled it on Xmas eve in salty water as per manmy's instructions but just not the same :(

Really trying to avoid smoked ham if possible :( have a tough crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Look for pickled ham in Woolworths or Coles. That's boiling bacon. Not as salty but it's the closest you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

amybabes wrote: »
    Christmas in July dinner this week.
    hussey wrote: »
    xmas in July

Have I missed the memo again?

What is Christmas in July?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Wouldn't there be some way to contact a master butcher who processes his/her own meat and see could they help you?

edit** Might be worth an email or phone call to these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Look for pickled ham in Woolworths or Coles. That's boiling bacon. Not as salty but it's the closest you'll get.

Ya pickled pork or ham is the best it gets. Had some at the weekend actually and it was quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

There is a butcher in Penrith who sells Irish rashers, sausages, black pudding etc and he also sells (properly prepared) Irish ham for boiling. He delivers too. I get the ham there every xmas its the same as ham at home. No difference, a pigs a pig wherever you are.
    Also there is a place in Hornsby that sells the same but haven't tried the ham there but their white pudding is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

The Aussie wrote: »
    Have I missed the memo again?

What is Christmas in July?

You've been out of the game too long Aussie...or you never lived in NSW.

It's a tradition that started back in the 80's in the blue mountains when Irish immigrants decided to enjoy the Aussie winter and have a christmas celebration in the cold and snow.

It's been adopted by quite a few Aussies as well but I think has also experienced a renewed resurgence with the increase of Irish here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Batgurl wrote: »
    You've been out of the game too long Aussie...or you never lived in NSW.

Well over a decade for both.

Batgurl wrote: »
    It's a tradition that started back in the 80's in the blue mountains when Irish immigrants decided to enjoy the Aussie winter and have a christmas celebration in the cold and snow.

Nice tradition, I don't think I could stick a 37 degree Christmas Day anymore, although I miss the backyard cricket.

Advertisement