Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small magnitude earthquake in Navan 21/07/13?

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Woke up last night at 11PM to a strange rumbling noise and window panes vibrating like a huge lorry was passing by. Now, the estate is extremely quiet and there was nothing on the street so was wondering if there was perphaps a small magnitude earthquake last night round Navan? Our neighbour's dog went totally bonkers when that happened and he wouldn't be normally barking like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

could it have been to do with the mines?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Not sure, we live nowhere near the mines. I'm not looking for sensational stuff, today being Monday it's quite late to run away in panic, just want to know what it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Tara mines shafts stretch far under the town in all directions. It was more than likely blasting underground last night which often happens.

Either that or your neighbours had a meth lab explosion. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had a massive explosion a couple of years ago in navan and it turned out someone had left a pipe bomb on some blokes doorstep about 30m from our house! :eek:

Would doubt the thing about the neighbours, maybe the mines but we have been living in Navan for the last almost 4 years and never experienced anything like that.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    had a massive explosion a couple of years ago in navan and it turned out someone had left a pipe bomb on some blokes doorstep about 30m from our house! :eek:

somehow I cannot imagine our elderly neighbours being involved in that kind of stuff. but you never know who you piss off.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Woke up to a loud bang at 01.53am on Friday night/Saturday morning. I live on the Trim Road, and looking out the window after, there appeared to be a plume of smoke coming from some place along the Trim Road closer to town. I was able to see the smoke drift westwards, so I thought this to be some kind of explosion. Of course, my first thought was pipe bomb, but there was nothing about it on twitter/facebook/Meath Chron newsfeed, so might have been some kind of industrial explosion like a gas barrel? My wife heard it as well, and a second, smaller loud bang subsequently.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

haminka wrote: »
    somehow I cannot imagine our elderly neighbours being involved in that kind of stuff. but you never know who you piss off.
    i'd have said the same thing, but some snitch who'd p1ssed off the RIRA was hiding out there and they found him. or something like that. it was on the news and everything, bomb squad were everywhere!

this was it: http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0824/305263-navan/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

A relatively small explosion like a pipebomb or a gas cylinder wouldn't cause much of a shockwave underground, the ground would actually deflect most of the energy upwards. My money would be on a decent sized blast in Tara Mines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement