Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity leave

Options
  • 22-07-2013 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi All,

Is it true you can take maternity leave from 24 weeks ?

I couldn't find that in the equality leaflet, but I have defo read it somewhere.

Has anyone done it, or knows of anyone that has done it ?

It would mean only 10 more weeks left here :D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

Merrilady wrote: »
    Hi All,

Is it true you can take maternity leave from 24 weeks ?

I couldn't find that in the equality leaflet, but I have defo read it somewhere.

Has anyone done it, or knows of anyone that has done it ?

It would mean only 10 more weeks left here :D:D:D:D

A girl who works (well worked) in my office took her leave early. In the maternity leave legislation is states that you must have at least 6 weeks with the baby after you've given birth and you can take your leave anytime before that if you wish.
    It worked out well for this girl because she was taking a career break and had to be gone by a certain date, etc etc and so it suited her to go 20 weeks before the baby was due. However, if you're going to be returning to work after the baby is born then wouldn't you rather have the time post baby than pre baby if you can manage it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strictly speaking you can take 22 weeks maternity leave before the baby is born, i.e. legally you only have to take 4 weeks' maternity leave after the birth of your child.

You only qualify for maternity benefit from 16 weeks pre your due date though.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/maternity_leave.html

Anyone will tell you though that you want your maternity leave after the child is born, not before. The best balance appears to be 4 weeks before and 22 weeks after. 2 weeks before is the minimum, but most women find that very tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Thanks Guys, good to know, and the advice is much appreciated too.

I'm taking a year off after the baby is born but not coming back to the company I work for at the moment.
    Am dying to get out of here tbh.

Thanks again
    B

Advertisement