Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Soups123 wrote: »
    Its possible, but in fairness they arent confirming any of these bids themselves. I think they do want to buy high end my concern is we have little experience over 15m.

I do think we will see one big signing

Suppose, but they may not be confirming bids, but they could be leaking them, I dunno I think it's just Arsenal bidding 40m on a player after all these years has my brain unable to believe it, I still think suarez will be holding out for Real Madrid and Liverpool more likely to sell tothem
    as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Kess73 wrote: »
    My reason for saying that Arsenal would have a small chance (even if they got Suarez) is down to the fact I think Chelsea, City, and Man U have far stronger squads. Now granted all three have new managers in, but whilst Arsenal might leapfrog one of those teams in the table come the end of the coming season, I really would not fancy their chances of finishing ahead of all three.

As for RVP moving to Man U. Well he was a top class player moving to the team that came second only on goal difference. Plus Man U finished last season on the exact same number of points as they did in the season without RVP. Suarez moving to Arsenal would not really be comparable as he would not be joining as strong a team as RVP did.

But then again having a small chance of winning the title still means a team has a shot at it, and I would be delighted if I was going into this season thinking my team had even a slim chance of winning the league rather than feeling my team has no title chance even before a ball is kicked.

I agree I think too much has been made of the 'opportunity' to steal a march on the top teams. TBH one of the 3 is going to really click and one may not the other could be somewhere in the middle.

Suarez (or a player in his league) will push us on but still well short of challenging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

SSN reporting that Higuain is having medical at Napoli. Can't wait to see him play against us in the Emirates Cup :(

TheBza wrote: »
    Suppose, but they may not be confirming bids, but they could be leaking them, I dunno I think it's just Arsenal bidding 40m on a player after all these years has my brain unable to believe it, I still think suarez will be holding out for Real Madrid and Liverpool more likely to sell tothem
    as well.

Its not in our interest to leak it so that has to be coming from the agent or a 'source'. I agree I think he is just flirting with us to get Madrid to make there move. You would have to think we have had some encouragement rather than just bidding blindly but I am a bit paronoid at the minute due to the lack of activity and the high end talk.

Time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Anyone else getting irritated by the shear resentment of our offers coming from Liverpool fans and spokespeople? 'Baulking' at bids, calling them embarrassing etc etc.
    Everyone outside of Merseyside seems to think we're offering too much but inside of Merseyside they think they offers are pointless and embarrassingly low...

The sooner they realise hes not worth as much as they think the better. Has anybody got a legit source for the Higuain fee? Might be worth ditching this and hijacking that one, this Suarez business will likely end up being a monumental waste of time.

There's no way they can accept a reasonable bid after Henry's comments now.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

gosplan wrote: »
    Positives:

Liverpool have to sell him

No other clubs in so far

Liverpool DON'T have to sell him. The player still has 3 years on his contract.

No other clubs have bid perhaps, doesn't mean there aren't clubs monitoring Suarez situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

AdamD wrote: »
    Anyone else getting irritated by the shear resentment of our offers coming from Liverpool fans and spokespeople? 'Baulking' at bids, calling them embarrassing etc etc.
    Everyone outside of Merseyside seems to think we're offering too much but inside of Merseyside they think they offers are pointless and embarrassingly low...

The sooner they realise hes not worth as much as they think the better. Has anybody got a legit source for the Higuain fee? Might be worth ditching this and hijacking that one, this Suarez business will likely end up being a monumental waste of time.

Bit late in the day now since he is having a medical at napoli, if all this goes pear shaped how could the fans see it happening but not Wenger and co?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Would be the same if Liverpool were sniffing around one of your better players. You would think your player is worth more, and us Liverpool supporters would be saying you should accept a reasonable bid. Both sides have a bias towards their own club, and that will be reflected in any comments made.

Personally I am now thinking £40m + Wilshire + Walcott would be fair.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

Anyone else getting irritated by the shear resentment of our offers coming from Liverpool fans and spokespeople?

Not really, It's their star player, and one the best strikers in the world at the moment, I understand completely, I wish we took the same approach when we were selling our star players to our rivals.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

No other clubs have bid perhaps, doesn't mean there aren't clubs monitoring Suarez situation.

They kinda do though he has basically said you guys are below his level, if they want maximum value he need to sell now. Any messing during the season will see his price drop.

I think the likes of Madrid will sit back until a price is agreed with Arsenal and come in with a few million less knowing Liverpool would prefer to sell him abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Was that tweet really from the Liverpool owners official twitter. I find it hard to believe he would tweet something like that. Very unprofessional.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

My reason for saying that Arsenal would have a small chance (even if they got Suarez) is down to the fact I think Chelsea, City, and Man U have far stronger squads. Now granted all three have new managers in, but whilst Arsenal might leapfrog one of those teams in the table come the end of the coming season, I really would not fancy their chances of finishing ahead of all three.
    I probably wouldn't either, but it's certainly not impossible. In 2010/11 Man City finished 3rd with 71 points. Then they signed Sergio Aguero, Nasri and Clichy, Aguero scored 23 league goals and they improved 18 points and won the league on GD with 89 points.

Arsenal finished last season on 73 points and have the same kind of money to spent that City spent that summer... the club has a similar platform with which to work from.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Just on BBC....

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez wants to hold talks with Arsenal over a potential move to the London club, reports BBC Sport's David Ornstein and Ben Smith.

Suarez believes Arsenal's offer of just over £40m - which was rejected - triggered a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to suitors.

Liverpool interpret the clause differently, but the 26-year-old will inform Reds boss Brendan Rodgers of his wish to meet with Arsenal.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Was that tweet really from the Liverpool owners official twitter. I find it hard to believe he would tweet something like that. Very unprofessional.

It is not a verified twitter account. So may be him or may be someone posing as him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

If he's worth so much more, then why are these same people then completely dismissing Arsenal's chances of trophies etc. Surely if he's worth as much as some people think, he would be able to push us on to that level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yes, or you could keep the wantaway striker, refuse the close to 50 million, let his contract run down a bit more.

Funny how the above situation rarely happens. Liverpool will sell, there's no question about that. If nothing else happens I've no doubt that at the end if the window Arsenal and Liverpool would meet in the middle at about 45-50 million ... Which is an amazing price.

Rodgers could do a lot with that cash. Suarez is going to miss a sixth of the season minimum, probably add on another game or two. Liverpool probably won't make CL whether he stays with their current squad so cash in on him.

Yes, you're right in saying that Liverpool don't HAVE TO sell but keeping him, given they know they can get more than 40million would be really really stupid.

It is not a verified twitter account. So may be him or may be someone posing as him.

it seems out of character. FSG seem to conduct themselves properly

I probably wouldn't either, but it's certainly not impossible. In 2010/11 Man City finished 3rd with 71 points. Then they signed Sergio Aguero, Nasri and Clichy, Aguero scored 23 league goals and they improved 18 points and won the league on GD with 89 points.

Arsenal finished last season on 73 points and have the same kind of money to spent that City spent that summer... the club has a similar platform with which to work from.

Not impossible at all imo, but really would be an against all odds type scenario if it did come about.

I think it would be easier for Liverpool to improve their finishing points total by 10 to 12 points than it would be for Arsenal to do the same, simply because of Liverpool's lower starting point.

Much easier imho to move from the 60 point bracket to the 70 point bracket than it is to go from the 70 point bracket to the 80 point bracket.

Not beyond Arsenal if they make some good signings this summer, but a lot would depend on the three teams that finished above them faltering somewhat as well.

If he's worth so much more, then why are these same people then completely dismissing Arsenal's chances of trophies etc. Surely if he's worth as much as some people think, he would be able to push us on to that level?

With suarez we would def have a title challenge. Might not win it but we'd def be there or there about. Providing he isnt banned! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

To be honest, I'm starting to wonder if this is an attempt at mass distraction by Wenger: "Hey, everybody look over here at this fiasco we are creating", while we are getting the real stuff done behind closed doors elsewhere.

I don't know, I'm just not convinced that Suarez is worth more than £40M, and especially isn't worth £55M.

• Advertisement

With suarez we would def have a title challenge. Might not win it but we'd def be there or there about. Providing he isnt banned! :pac:

He would be if you bought him. He still has six games of his domestic ban to serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

This been posted? From our mate David Ornstein

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419
    Liverpool striker Luis Suarez wants to hold talks with Arsenal over a potential move to the London club.

Suarez believes Arsenal's offer of just over £40m - which was rejected - triggered a clause in his contract that allows him to speak to suitors.
    Liverpool interpret the clause differently, but the 26-year-old will inform Reds boss Brendan Rodgers of his wish to meet with Arsenal.
    The Anfield side have now turned down two offers from the Gunners.
    But with Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain, another of their targets, reportedly set to complete a move to Napoli, Arsenal will put all of their efforts into signing Suarez....

[edit] Sorry, just after seeing it had been by imtdub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Liverpool are a bit naive when it comes to valuing players, you only have to look at their recent history. I wouldn't read too much into what they think, they have a very over-inflated value of what they think players are worth. 40 million is already too much for him when you take the players history into account. Higuain would be a better signing but Madrid are making it difficult.

Bit late in the day now since he is having a medical at napoli, if all this goes pear shaped how could the fans see it happening but not Wenger and co?

Because the fan's opinion of 'pear shaped' is not landing Suarez or Higusin for 40 or 55 million. Others might feel that wouldn't be good business.

The same fans give out about oil money inflating the market but then deem an extra 10 million or so kind of an irrelevance when it comes to signing a player.

I think what you're referring to is the situation where Arsenal fail to strengthen, not where they miss out on a single player they could have overpaid for and another moves to Madrid.

Higuain going to Napoli for £30m, potentially rising to £33.5m.

At that fee, you can see why the club switched interest to Suarez.

Would be the same if Liverpool were sniffing around one of your better players. You would think your player is worth more, and us Liverpool supporters would be saying you should accept a reasonable bid. Both sides have a bias towards their own club, and that will be reflected in any comments made.

Personally I am now thinking £40m + Wilshire + Walcott would be fair.:p

Frankly I think I'd be able to use genuine reason and not come up with ridiculous figures. People saying he should go for the same fee as Cavani really haven't thought about it very well. If they say: that's a fine bid, but its Arsenal, so no. That makes sense. But thinking a 40m bid in general is derogatory is simply ridiculous.

Either way at the numbers touted I hope we pull out before all other targets are gone. As good as he is I actually think he'll score less for Arsenal than he would for Liverpool as currently everything goes through him and he shoots extremely often every game, which he probably wouldn't be doing at Arsenal as he can be quite wasteful. I have the same doubts about Bale at Madrid.
    I said a few weeks back 35-40m, if we're priced over that for being a rival than just move on to somebody else.

jester77 wrote: »
    Liverpool are a bit naive when it comes to valuing players, you only have to look at their recent history. I wouldn't read too much into what they think, they have a very over-inflated value of what they think players are worth. 40 million is already too much for him when you take the players history into account. Higuain would be a better signing but Madrid are making it difficult.

With the exception of Downing, Henderson and Carroll (all both in the same period) when else have they become known for there in-ability to pay the right price?

Arsenal fans should read back on our thread when we where selling RVP to united, most insisting on 40+m for a player with 12 months left on his contract and more because we were selling to a rival.

Liverpool fans are just reacting exactly as we did

Maybe we should just splash the 50million. Suarez is prob worth 20million more then Higuain.

The prices are seriously inflated from oil money but we cant turn around now giving out about it when we benefited a lot from it too by selling over priced players to them.

Give pool somewhere close to the 50million and move on. Get in a defender and lets start being a proper football club again

Exciting days

jester77 wrote: »

He is "worth" whatever a buying team is willing to spend. Now that worth is not the same as being over or under priced, but it is what it is.

If Arsenal up their bid to £45m, £55m, or £100m, then that is what Arsenal think he is worth.

I think with regards to Liverpool overvaluing players that there has been a shift on that score. Last January and so far this summer has seen a much more prudent approach to transfer fees, and the massive overpaying (on wages as much as on transfer fees) that happened under Kenny/Comolli won't be repeated too quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

By David Ornstein and Ben Smith

BBC Sport

Comments (679)

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez wants to hold talks with Arsenal over a potential move to the London club.

The Anfield side have now turned down two offers from theGunners.

But with Real Madrid forward Gonzalo Higuain, another of their targets, reportedly set to complete a move to Napoli, Arsenal will put all of their efforts into signing Suarez.

Edit: Sorry for being Paddy Last with this bit of news, stuck in work and wanted to subscribe to the new thread

Soups123 wrote: »
    With the exception of Downing, Henderson and Carroll (all both in the same period) when else have they become known for there in-ability to pay the right price?

Arsenal fans should read back on our thread when we where selling RVP to united, most insisting on 40+m for a player with 12 months left on his contract and more because we were selling to a rival.

Liverpool fans are just reacting exactly as we did

Not arsed doing it myself, but it'd make for interesting reading looking back to this thread 12 months back alright :) I definitely remember a fair few Arsenal supporters saying RVP should be only sold for £40M or around that figure anyway.

Frankly I think I'd be able to use genuine reason and not come up with ridiculous figures. People saying he should go for the same fee as Cavani really haven't thought about it very well. If they say: that's a fine bid, but its Arsenal, so no. That makes sense. But thinking a 40m bid in general is derogatory is simply ridiculous.

Either way at the numbers touted I hope we pull out before all other targets are gone. As good as he is I actually think he'll score less for Arsenal than he would for Liverpool as currently everything goes through him and he shoots extremely often every game, which he probably wouldn't be doing at Arsenal as he can be quite wasteful. I have the same doubts about Bale at Madrid.
    I said a few weeks back 35-40m, if we're priced over that for being a rival than just move on to somebody else.

Very little in what you said that I disagree with, but when it comes to selling a high value asset then the selling party will always try to get as high a figure as they can, and the party interested in buying will always try to get the asset for as low a price as they can.

Common sense and realistic market valuations often get left at the door by both parties in the early stages of bidding.

I have no doubt though that if Suarez moved to Arsenal for £40m that there would be Arsenal supporters saying he was a steal at that price, and Liverpool supporters trying to say he was never that good. I also have little doubt that if Arsenal fail to buy him that many of the same Arsenal supporters will be saying he was never worth £40m, and the same Liverpool supporters will be lauding Suarez as being a top talent worth twice that money.

Taking Suarez out of the equation for a bit. Ifyou guys do not get him, and Higuain goes to Napoli and Soldado went elsewhere, who would the Arsenal supporters on here like to see Wenger go after?

What about the likes of Benzema?

I'd like to see the club try to turn Lewandowski's head away from Bayern, though maybe they already have to no avail. I'd imagine Dortmund would rather get a large chunk of change from us now than lose him to Bayern for nothing next year.

Failing that, go big in other areas of the pitch. Something like El Shaarawy, Bender, etc.

Not arsed doing it myself, but it'd make for interesting reading looking back to this thread 12 months back alright :) I definitely remember a fair few Arsenal supporters saying RVP should be only sold for £40M or around that figure anyway.

If the deal happens these are the stages you will go through;

1. Post to convince yourself he won't do that to your club
    2. Realise this is a possibility and start to pray
    3. Realise its going to happen and every1 in the world in a cnut no more so than the buying club and its fans
    4. Demand a ridicilous amount of money and continue to take it personal with every fan you know from the buying team, insisting that they should pay a premium
    5. It happens, you stop reading the net and looking at sky sports news, a sickly feeling overcomes you like when the morning after the night before when you rode a munter without a bali on.
    6. Say right lets move on who can we buy.
    7. Tell every one you know you hope he breaks his legs
    8. Return to phase 5 when he scores his first goal
    9. Return to phase 5 when he scores against you
    10. Move on and learn to deal with it

I'd like to see the club try to turn Lewandowski's head away from Bayern, though maybe they already have to no avail. I'd imagine Dortmund would rather get a large chunk of change from us now than lose him to Bayern for nothing next year.

Failing that, go big in other areas of the pitch. Something like El Shaarawy, Bender, etc.

Yeah.. good luck with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I really, really hope we don't get Suarez. Don't want the likes of him anywhere near the club. Don't care how much he scores, or how much he costs. £40,000,000 is far, far too much anyway.

Very little in what you said that I disagree with, but when it comes to selling a high value asset then the selling party will always try to get as high a figure as they can, and the party interested in buying will always try to get the asset for as low a price as they can.

Common sense and realistic market valuations often get left at the door by both parties in the early stages of bidding.

I have no doubt though that if Suarez moved to Arsenal for £40m that there would be Arsenal supporters saying he was a steal at that price, and Liverpool supporters trying to say he was never that good. I also have little doubt that if Arsenal fail to buy him that many of the same Arsenal supporters will be saying he was never worth £40m, and the same Liverpool supporters will be lauding Suarez as being a top talent worth twice that money.

Taking Suarez out of the equation for a bit. Ifyou guys do not get him, and Higuain goes to Napoli and Soldado went elsewhere, who would the Arsenal supporters on here like to see Wenger go after?

The real problem is I can't think of many others worth going for. If Higuain goes surely Benzema stays?
    After that:
    El Shawaaray - Expensive and not sure if he'd go
    Jackson Martinez - We'd get him but would Porto try to fleece us?
    Remy - Not much of an improvement + rape charge
    Osvaldo - Know nothing about him but we were linked yesterday, his goal record looks above average at best.
    Adrian Lopez - Linked with him last year but his goal record is horrid
    Yilmaz - Seems popular in the Liverpool thread, never been linked.

If we don't get Suarez or Higuain I'd rather we went for a top LW and a DM, leaving Walcott and Podolski to deputise Giroud. Doesn't sound amazing but Giroud should score more next year and a top LW, Cazorla and Walcott should chip in with plenty of goals behind him.

if this clause is true and we can in fact speak with Suarez. Can we offer him the loyalty bonus he'd get from Liverpool so that he would hand in a transfer request?

All the worthwhile transfers for a club looking to make the step up tend to look unlikely before they happen. We've got the financial muscle now to turn heads that might otherwise not have been turned.

if this clause is true and we can in fact speak with Suarez. Can we offer him the loyalty bonus he'd get from Liverpool so that he would hand in a transfer request?

We can offer him double if we want, only thing we cant agree is a price.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you could increase his signing on fee by that amount to encourage him to hand in a transfer request, but it would add another few million onto what you pay for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I don't think that is too much of an inflated price personally, maybe 3 or 4 million over his real valuation but in my opinion we should just pay the extra few quid for him, he has a ratio of just over a goal every other game for Real and there is not a striker in world football that you could say is more dangerous in the box than Higuain. The worry with Suarez (although he is a top player and would no doubt be a great signing for us) is that 2 or 3 years down the line he may be eyeing a move to Madrid whereas Higuain would more than likely have no problem seeing out his contract and even staying on after that.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    I don't think that is too much of an inflated price personally, maybe 3 or 4 million over his real valuation but in my opinion we should just pay the extra few quid for him, he has a ratio of just over a goal every other game for Real and there is not a striker in world football that you could say is more dangerous in the box than Higuain. The worry with Suarez (although he is a top player and would no doubt be a great signing for us) is that 2 or 3 years down the line he may be eyeing a move to Madrid whereas Higuain would more than likely have no problem seeing out his contract and even staying on after that.
    Worry about that 2 years down the line then, a 28 year old would still have resale value.

Arsenal need to make a big signing to change the paradigm.

From what I have seem on him £30m seems okay as a price, what I am not sure about is why there is so little interest him from any of the big clubs? I'm not a scout so maybe there is an abvious reason Madrid dont want him and only Napoli are willing to pay with us being the only other club interested.

We will be premier and Champions league winners by then. Why would he want to leave! :D

I think if Wenger's offering 20+ million for players like Bernard and Bender and 40+ million for Suarez, then he clearly had big reservations about upping the fee for Higuain.

You have to trust the guy when it comes to judging a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

The real problem is I can't think of many others worth going for. If Higuain goes surely Benzema stays?
    After that:
    El Shawaaray - Expensive and not sure if he'd go
    Jackson Martinez - We'd get him but would Porto try to fleece us?
    Remy - Not much of an improvement + rape charge
    Osvaldo - Know nothing about him but we were linked yesterday, his goal record looks above average at best.
    Adrian Lopez - Linked with him last year but his goal record is horrid
    Yilmaz - Seems popular in the Liverpool thread, never been linked.

If we don't get Suarez or Higuain I'd rather we went for a top LW and a DM, leaving Walcott and Podolski to deputise Giroud. Doesn't sound amazing but Giroud should score more next year and a top LW, Cazorla and Walcott should chip in with plenty of goals behind him.

What about Thomas Muller? A front three of Poldi, Giroud and Muller sounds nice, with Walcott pushing each of them.

farna_boy wrote: »
    What about Thomas Muller? A front three of Poldi, Giroud and Muller sounds nice, with Walcott pushing each of them.
    Even more unlikely than Lewa tbh!

Think we probably need to be shopping in Italy this summer.

Worry about that 2 years down the line then, a 28 year old would still have resale value.

Arsenal need to make a big signing to change the paradigm.

Agree. IMO, Suarez wouldn't be long term future but would stay for 2-3 years, and hopefully make us far more competitive so players like Mata, Hazard and Silva might end up with us instead of City/Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

He'll still get the season for me, but really AW leaves himself in a very difficult place if we're still scrapping for 4th this coming season and nothing comes off in the transfer window for him.

Real wouldn't countenance selling Benzema I'm afraid. Definitely think we should be pushing harder for Higuain but if Real are acting the ****e fee wise there then there's not a lot you can do. We've a big stack of chips but no one to play poker with at the moment.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement