Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,502 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

danlen wrote: »
    At WORST what we might be looking at is...
    Szes
    Jenkinson Kos Mert Gibbs

Wilshere Ramsey
    Rosicky

Walcott Chambo/Pod
    Giroud

**** me, if that's not good enough to take care of Villa then there is something seriously wrong.

Also consider that Arteta, Sagna, Cazorla, may be able to play.

It's not bad BUT I'm very worried about Jenkinson. He still looks clumsy and not at all assured. I really hope Sagna is fit.
    Was Rosicky not injured this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Surely this might implore us to just fire money in Gustavo's direction?

You'd think so but if the player wants to stay in Germany what can we do ?

Hope springs eternal though. Still no announcement on him joining Wolfsburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

greendom wrote: »
    You'd think so but if the player wants to stay in Germany what can we do ?

Hope springs eternal though. Still no announcement on him joining Wolfsburg

Flamini or Barry, what are the odds?

Paleface wrote: »
    In fairness they will only be in a position to laugh if Bale stays. Hats off to them for strengthening and all but if he leaves that's a big blow to them.

At least they are trying and are spending loads.
    The same can't be said for our lot.

As for the lad saying that they are spending a million per player over the odds, what does that matter?
    If you are starving and have money does it matter that your dinner cost 10 euro or 9.50?
    We put far too much emphasis on money as Arsenal fans.

Raf32 wrote: »

At this stage I'd take either. A close season that offered so much hope has turned to ****. Heads have to roll for this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

At least they are trying and are spending loads.
    The same can't be said for our lot.

As for the lad saying that they are spending a million per player over the odds, what does that matter?
    If you are starving and have money does it matter that your dinner cost 10 euro or 9.50?
    We put far too much emphasis on money as Arsenal fans.
    Im pretty sure that was a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think defensively wilshere/Ramsey won't work

Only positive it forces wengers hand he have to buy now

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks to late, Wolfsburg manager seems confident its close to being done. Flamini returns.

It's not too late, all they have to do is equal what Wolfsburg have offered, he'd choose arsenal. If arteta really is out for over a month he'll be straight into the first 11 and can nail down his place in the squad.

It's really that simple. Unfortunately doing what needs to be done when it comes to signing players so far this year hasn't really been Wenger's style.

As arseblog said earlier in the week, Gustavo makes so much sense (even more now Arteta is crocked) it's hard to see it happening. On the plus side, Monreal showed a knee jerk signing as a result of an injury to a first teamer wouldn't be a first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Sky sports reporting Mikel out for 4-6 weeks.

At this stage i'd take either. A summer that offered so much hope has turned to s**t.

Even if we do bring in additions it could all be too late by the time they are settled. Out of the Cl and competing in the Europa league while fighting for 4th place. It didn't have to be like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

if we really wanted Gustavo or anybody else I don't think it would take this long to tie up a deal. the club don't really want him they just want back up for arteta. what self respecting international would come in just to be back up? Gustavo or any other good player will want to be the main man not a bench warmer.

I have no doubt we will bring in a couple of players to flesh out the squad but they probably wont be established names - just back ups. we missed the boat with higuain I think - he was pretty much the only "big" name we could realistically have bought in this window.

shaping up to be a great season

We should still get into the CL but right now the only expectation would be to scrape through the group stages while our squad gets knackered and ends up around 5th/6th and getting knocked out of the other cups early and maybe pushing towards 4th towards the end of the season once injuries clear up.

Sound familiar? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Were is everyone getting this he want's to stay in Germany, he is signing for Wolfsburg etc?

The playe has said nothing yet the only concrete thing we do have is that the Wolfsburg president said they are in for him today and he thinks they have a stong chance of signing him.

Also a few people seem confused it's not Wolfsburg who are meant to be having a press conference but Gustavo himself ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Holy jaysus we are in big big trouble coming into this Champions Lge qualifier, Fenerbache are no pushovers and we haven't exactly got a great record away in Turkey. Another few knocks on Saturday and we are in serious danger of losing the away leg.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    What the hell is going on with the club it just doesn't make any sense to leave ourselves so short :confused::confused::confused:

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Holy jaysus we are in big big trouble coming into this Champions Lge qualifier, Fenerbache are no pushovers and we haven't exactly got a great record away in Turkey. Another few knocks on Saturday and we are in serious danger of losing the away leg.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    What the hell is going on with the club it just doesn't make any sense to leave ourselves so short :confused::confused::confused:

I thought the "we have money to spend big" crap was a scam to sell season tickets from the start.
    I haven't seen anything to make me change my mind yet.
    The whole transfer window thing is a crying shame. Mismanagement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Were is everyone getting this he want's to stay in Germany, he is signing for Wolfsburg etc?

The playe has said nothing yet the only concrete thing we do have is that the Wolfsburg president said they are in for him today and he thinks they have a stong chance of signing him.

Also a few people seem confused it's not Wolfsburg who are meant to be having a press conference but Gustavo himself ;).

Confusion came from Wolfsburg calling a press conference, what wasn't said is they do this regularly on Thursdays from what I've heard :P

I thought the "we have money to spend big" crap was a scam to sell season tickets from the start.

Ah come on now the whole we have money to spend just to sell season tickets argument is a load of crap really season tickets would sell regardless of what they said let's not pretend they wouldn't.

The club have tried to spend money the bid for Suarez proved that but what the club have done is made a complete and utter balls of it not only this summer but a lot of recent summers. They need to change the system they have in place it clearly isn't working or acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

how gazidis can feel comfortable coming out and spouting sh!te about being able to compete with the biggest clubs regarding transfers and then stand by while the window slips away is beyond me.

hes making himself look like a moron - or just plain incompetent. dunno which is worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's a waiting list for season tickets. Which implies that they're very much sold out before the window even begins. That story was a load of crap.

sonic85 wrote: »
    how gazidis can feel comfortable coming out and spouting sh!te about being able to compete with the biggest clubs regarding transfers and then stand by while the window slips away is beyond me.

hes making himself look like a moron - or just plain incompetent. dunno which is worse

A little bit from Column A and and little bit from Column B ;).

The whole club looks incompetent as of right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Its been that way for years in fairness.

It has and we still have fan's on here still backing Wenger when it's clear he has no ambition to make the squad as strong as possible. All this crap about waiting until we get into the CL group stages is all it is CRAP. He's been our stumbling block for years when it comes to transfers. Spures, Chelsea, City even bloody Liverpool have made their sides stronger. I seriously worry for us come mid season if we don't make a squad stronger :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Many of us were very critical of Wenger at the close of the season and then relief when we made 4th spot. He appears to be carrying on as before.... a sort of indifference, apathy or unreality, or is it just plain pig headedness? Is he really up for the job any more. Ok, he is the manager and what do we know? Just saying like...... frustrated.

Were an absolute joke, between our incompetence in signing players to what is worse in my book, selling our best players to our nearest rivals, criminal behaviour from the club. Does the board really care about Arsenal FC or just care about lining there own pockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Is gazidis in charge of player recruitment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Has it been Gareth Barry that's been linked?

Ah come on now the whole we have money to spend just to sell season tickets argument is a load of crap really season tickets would sell regardless of what they said let's not pretend they wouldn't.

The club have tried to spend money the bid for Suarez proved that but what the club have done is made a complete and utter balls of it not only this summer but a lot of recent summers. They need to change the system they have in place it clearly isn't working or acceptable.

The Club have tried my ass. We need more players then just Suarez, he could have signed a DM, CB, LW without any problem and still have gone after Suarez, he seriously needs a World Class Striker. If he doesn't get one we are screwed. But the squad needs depth and I don't see us lasting to long with the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Have we bid on Lambert yet :pac:

Has it been Gareth Barry that's been linked?

You on the wind up? Honestly we cannot be after him can we?

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Many of us were very critical of Wenger at the close of the season and then relief when we made 4th spot. He appears to be carrying on as before.... a sort of indifference, apathy or unreality, or is it just plain pig headedness? Is he really up for the job any more. Ok, he is the manager and what do we know? Just saying like...... frustrated.

He wants to prove that you don't have to spend big to win the league. He's sheer craziness and is to old fashioned to be in today's football management if he honestly believes that. This thread has turned into one big moan instead of us been super confident going into the season.

• Advertisement

What age is he 36 or something and he's not that great of a player. Plenty of talented Defensive midfielders out there for the right price.

Many fans have refused to renew season tickets this year Marty.
    Paul Merson suggested the same thing today on Sky Sports. He said there were many empty seats in the run-in last season. Fans are getting fed-up splashing out big money to see a team fight for nothing more than the Top 4 every season.

I agree with him on that as some of my friends in London are unwilling to renew theirs and won't if nothing changes.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Is gazidis in charge of player recruitment?

No
    Looper007 wrote: »
    The Club have tried my ass. We need more players then just Suarez, he could have signed a DM, CB, LW without any problem and still have gone after Suarez, he seriously needs a World Class Striker. If he doesn't get one we are screwed. But the squad needs depth and I don't see us lasting to long with the squad.

Relax yourself there ;), I'm not defending the club at all, the club have tired like I said not only on Suarez but other players but they have been ridiculously incompetent.

I was saying if you read my post correctly ;), that the money for transfer is there it wasn't just rouse to sell season tickets they don't need to that.

There just terrible at finalising deals and getting the players we need, they system we have in place for transfers and negotiations needs to be changed and if Wenger is to stay all the power besides picking the targets needs to be taken out of his hands completely.

What age is he 36 or something and he's not that great of a player. Plenty of talented Defensive midfielders out there for the right price.

And to think we got slated for mentioning Shelvey and Lambert last night :rolleyes:

If Garreth Barry is what were after these days lets prepare ourselves for the Europa League.

FearDark wrote: »
    Have we bid on Lambert yet :pac:

He probably not old enough yet, so not cheap enough.:D

Were an absolute joke, between our incompetence in signing players to what is worse in my book, selling our best players to our nearest rivals, criminal behaviour from the club. Does the board really care about Arsenal FC or just care about lining there own pockets?

Under investment in the squad will lead to a reduction in pocket lining. It just makes no sense

• Advertisement

Paul Merson suggested the same thing today on Sky Sports. He said there were many empty seats in the run-in last season. Fans are getting fed-up splashing out big money to see a team fight for nothing more than the Top 4 every season.

I agree with him on that as some of my friends in London are unwilling to renew theirs and won't if nothing changes.

Yeh but for every fan that doesn't renew there is a few on the waiting list waiting to snap up them season tickets ;).

In fairness Merson is bit braindead :pac:. There might have been empty seats but most them seats are paid for whether empty or not.

I agree with any fan not to renew their season tickets, why splash out you're hard earned wages for a Club that ain't going to splash the cash and end up struggling for the whole season. Doesn't make them not love Arsenal football Club but it be nice for Arsenal Football Club to give some love back to the fan's. When's the last time we have to brag about big singings and winning stuff.

And to think we got slated for mentioning Shelvey and Lambert last night :rolleyes:

If Garreth Barry is what were after these days lets prepare ourselves for the Europa League.

Oh yeah, just cause Barry plays for City don't make him a great player. I think it shows we are slowly going down the ****ter when we're suggesting those names. Sad ending to our Club.

greendom wrote: »
    Under investment in the squad will lead to a reduction in pocket lining. It just makes no sense

So they're happy then to finish 19 points behind the winners. That makes no sense either.
    Our squad has been 2/3 good players short for many years with those players included we could have won. Makes no sense.

Oh yeah, just cause Barry plays for City don't make him a great player. I think it shows we are slowly going down the ****ter when we're suggesting those names. Sad ending to our Club.

Weren't you one the ones who was talking up Lambert or Shelvey last night :confused:.

Barry is not good enough nor will he be signed.

Sad ending to our club??? Bit on the dramatic side there.

• Advertisement

Yeh but for every fan that doesn't renew there is a few on the waiting list waiting to snap up them season tickets ;).

In fairness Merson is bit braindead :pac:. There might have been empty seats but most them seats are paid for whether empty or not.

Of course the seats are paid for BUT the owners didn't bother to turn up or sell their tickets. Sounds like apathy to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

we should enjoy this summer, for a change, next year we will prob be losing Kos and Santi.

Relax yourself there ;), I'm not defending the club at all, the club have tired like I said not only on Suarez but other players but they have been ridiculously incompetent.

I was saying if you read my post correctly ;), that the money for transfer is there it wasn't just rouse to sell season tickets they don't need to that.

There just terrible at finalising deals and getting the players we need, they system we have in place for transfers and negotiations needs to be changed and if Wenger is to stay all the power besides picking the targets needs to be taken out of his hands completely.

I agree Wenger needs to hand transfer dealings to someone who can actually do the job. It be better for the club cause he's going to look bad this season if we end up flopping. I honestly believe that Wenger wants to win the league by showing Chelsea and City's of this world you can do it by spending nothing. I really think that's his plan, foolish if you ask me.

I agree Wenger needs to hand transfer dealings to someone who can actually do the job. It be better for the club cause he's going to look bad this season if we end up flopping. I honestly believe that Wenger wants to win the league by showing Chelsea and City's of this world you can do it by spending nothing. I really think that's his plan, foolish if you ask me.

I hope it's not his plan really really do hope it's not his pig headness or stubborness that is holding us back but if it is yeh foolish is certainly a word I'd use to describe.

Weren't you one the ones who was talking up Lambert or Shelvey last night :confused:.

Barry is not good enough nor will he be signed.

Sad ending to our club??? Bit on the dramatic side there.

Do you think we get top 4 Marty? Honestly.
    With Spures and Liverpool getting stronger. I personally don't think it's too dramatic to say that.

My worry is will Kos, Santi, Walcott and Wilshire be too happy to stay next season if we struggle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

No someone said further up

"flamini or barry" so I'm wondering is it Gareth Barry? I would have thought he'd be a decent signing. Can keep things ticking over and same type as Arteta.

Of course the seats are paid for BUT the owners didn't bother to turn up or sell their tickets. Sounds like apathy to me.

Of coarse but the club doesn't need to make up lies to sell them was what I'm getting at. Fans are clearly angry and you can see the anger growing by the day even people on twitter who have been always on the positive side and supportive of Wenger could I see today starting to turn and show anger.

But the tickets will always be sold.

Do you think we get top 4 Marty? Honestly.
    With Spures and Liverpool getting stronger. I personally don't think it's too dramatic to say that.

My worry is will Kos, Santi, Walcott and Wilshire be too happy to stay next season if we struggle.

As of right now I wouldn't be overly confident no in all honesty Spurs have done some good business but I'm hoping we will buy the players we need. Right now with the squad we have we would need a miracle season with injuries to top Spurs but we could still do the business and it still looks like they will be loosing there best player in Bale.

As for Liverpool don't see them as a threat at all all they have done this summer is sell mediocre English players and replaced them with equal mediocre players from Spain, not one player they have bought made me sit up and pay attention.

He talks a lot about buying quality, which is why he does not like the January window, he now appears to have added the summer window as well. He seems impossible to please now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Mr.Micro wrote: »

The big difference this year is the number of players weve let go without replacing. Things are almost so bad I wish we had kept Gerv, well almost...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement