Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wolfsburg have confirmed it.

According to Jamie sanderson we had a strong interest in Gustavo but wouldn't match Wolfsburg offer of 14 million and 114k a week.

What a fcuking joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

According to Jamie sanderson we had a strong interest in Gustavo but wouldn't match Wolfsburg offer of 14 million and 114k a week.

What a fcuking joke..

Wouldn't that make him our most paid player or there abouts?

I wouldn't have taken him for those wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I think the problem is that AW (and the club) have worked so hard over the last number of years to actually get us into this financial position that they are almost scared to use the money in case they 'waste' it.

Obviously that's the complete wrong approach/attitude but nevertheless it seems like the only explanation to me.

Anyway, really interested to see how we do this weekend. Hitting the ground running would be such a confidence boost to the squad. Here's to hoping!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

cathalio11 wrote: »

You seen him play? He's worth it. That's what the market dictates these days. It's actually a rather low transfer fee. Probably because he wanted a move for first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If we did really miss out on Gustavo. Who else could we have lined up? We desperately need backup to Arteta

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That'd probably have worked out at less than 9m a year to add him, which isn't a whole lot considering we've cleared 25m+ a year off the wage bill and have an additional 40m+ in yearly income now…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,121 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Kirby wrote: »
    You seen him play? He's worth it. That's what the market dictates these days. It's actually a rather low transfer fee. Probably because he wanted a move for first team football.
    Considering many were saying he'd be back up to Arteta I certainly don't think he is worth becoming out best paid player. Giving him them wages automatically gives everyone else at the club a reason to ask for more too.

Yes it would have but the fact of the manner is football has moved on we haven't. If we want to attract these quality players Wenger keeps banging on about we need to pay better wages.

Gazidis said we can now compete prove it

Quazzie wrote: »
    Considering many were saying he'd be back up to Arteta I certainly don't think he is worth becoming out best paid player. Giving him them wages automatically gives everyone else at the club a reason to ask for more too.

I wouldn't have him as backup. A midfield three of Gustavo, Arteta and wilshere. Talk of him being backup is silly, even in a midfield as strong as yours.

Of course Arteta is out for a month so......still think it's good business letting him go for that little money? You wont find a better midfielder for less in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

jonny666 wrote: »
    If we did really miss out on Gustavo. Who else could we have lined up? We desperately need backup to Arteta

Yohan Cabaye? Sami Khedira? Lars Bender?

Lets be honest, more then likely its the return of Flamini.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

What a fcuking joke..

I don't think he is an automatic starter so making him our highest paid player
    I don't think so

Wenger confirms that no-one else is going on loan, also says there wont be a "Trolly Dash" this year either.

I still think we will get the player we need

It's just a shame it's come to the sage where I will have to being my boots to te emeriates tomorrow :)

I'm going to stick my neck out, transfer deadline day, we will sign Khedira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Frisbee wrote: »
    If a person in any other form of employment resided over three months of such complete ineptitude in the workplace they would be fire on the spot for negligence.

If I could thank that twice I would. Completely captures my feelings on the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Kirby wrote: »
    I wouldn't have him as backup. A midfield three of Gustavo, Arteta and wilshere. Talk of him being backup is silly, even in a midfield as strong as yours.

Of course Arteta is out for a month so......still think it's good business letting him go for that little money? You wont find a better midfielder for less in this window.
    I'd drop Arteta and Wilshere before Ramsay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Would really love it a journalist had the courage to take Wenger to task over his transfer policy in the press conference today, really ask him the difficult questions rather than just listen to him philosophise like a University lecturer. He needs to articulate his plans to the supporters that he seem to so blatantly disregard.

Im a huge Wenger fan but if we do sign Flamini (only speculation I know) then it makes a mockery of every season ticket holder and he need to explain himself.

KEEP ALL THE MONEY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'm actually kind of surprised by Arsenals transfer strategy.

They obviously won't spend over the odds for a player but then they spend the whole summer saying they have millions to spend.

Selling clubs are like we have a valuation we know you have told all and sundry you can afford it, we are sticking to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

We could really do with a director of football. Look at the work Baldini has done for spurs so far.
    Wenger has too much control, unfortunately. He should supply a list to a DOF and let the DOF get on with it.

• Advertisement

Yes it would have but the fact of the manner is football has moved on we haven't. If we want to attract these quality players Wenger keeps banging on about we need to pay better wages.

Gazidis said we can now compete prove it

Yes, you're right but not for Luiz Gustavo.

In reply to another poster, I've seen him play only a small amount but I've seen many other more educated (than mine) people's opinions and he doesn't look like he would stand out at Arsenal at all.

114k a week for someone who isn't guaranteed to take Arteta's place. It just gives everyone at the club, who is on less, more of a reason to demand more.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    We could really do with a director of football. Look at the work Baldini has done for spurs so far.
    Wenger has too much control, unfortunately. He should supply a list to a DOF and let the DOF get on with it.

Bring Joe Kinnear in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Its fcuking mental how the summer has gone.

I love the first game of the season, new kit, new players and that feeling of uncertainty as we sit on a par with everyone else.

It's going to be weird kicking off the season without a single new player in the squad, that's a large shine off it for me.

If we fail to win the pressure both fan and media is going to consume the club

114k a week for someone who isn't guaranteed to take Arteta's place. It just gives everyone at the club, who is on less, more of a reason to demand more.

well yeah i agree with this.

114k gbp a week is a big wage, its a star players wage.

he was on 60k euro at bayern I heard, so he's more than doubled his wages to go a lower placed bundesliga team.

I won't be going into Meltdown over losing this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

People saying that Gustavo would be back up are complete bonkers, he would be one of the first names on the team sheet, as much as I love Arteta he is a step above him, and another step uo from Ramsey. Yet again we have missed out on strengthening our starting 11 for not paying tge extra few quid on his wages. JOKERS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

How do we know we were ever really in for him though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

If Arsenal were never really in for him, and were never really in for Higuain either as reported - then bar Suarez, who the hell are they actually really in for?

There must be some targets being worked on that are being kept hush hush.

Surely....

Bucket loads of reports and Wenger confirming his interest in him after the pre-season friendly in Helsinki.

Obviously not 100% definite, but 95% for sure.

How interested were we? We don't know.

But there is no smoke, without fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Gringo180 wrote: »
    People saying that Gustavo would be back up are complete bonkers, he would be one of the first names on the team sheet, as much as I love Arteta he is a step above him, and another step uo from Ramsey. Yet again we have missed out on strengthening our starting 11 for not paying tge extra few quid on his wages. JOKERS!!

Bit of a leap from "extra few quid" to becoming your highest paid player.

We'll definitely sign 3 players I reckon. The thing is, now that we've missed out on Higuain, Suarez and Gustavo, there is so much pressure on AW to make the signings be world-class. Three average signings to improve the squad just won't do.

Glad to see Mertesacker being given captaincy. Think he has a lot of respect around the club and is calming influence on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Well this is the whole point, if not, why werent we? 12 million pounds for a Brazilian international that starts for them, sure Spurs paid 18 million for his fellow DMF who he plays alongside in the national team. 12 million was a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

maximoose wrote: »
    If Arsenal were never really in for him, and were never really in for Higuain either as reported - then bar Suarez, who the hell are they actually really in for?

There must be some targets being worked on that are being kept hush hush.

Surely....

They are so secretive that neither Wenger or the board know who they are !! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Bender and suarez for sure - jotivic, Rooney possibly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Did Wenger mention whether there was any chance of signing anybody today ? I may just turn off the internet for a while if not. I can't cope with much more of this misery.

Mertesacker had an absolute shocked on Wednesday against Paraguay so that's not a good sign.
    German fans apparently livid with him.

well yeah i agree with this.

114k gbp a week is a big wage, its a star players wage.

he was on 60k euro at bayern I heard, so he's more than doubled his wages to go a lower placed bundesliga team.

I won't be going into Meltdown over losing this one.

It's not a star players wage anymore compare it to city's, united or Chelsea top earners it's not; )

Plus if we have a club like Wolfsburg outbidding us for players is a disgrace never mind his wage demands reports are saying we wouldn't match there bid. That is a disgrace no matter what spin you put on it it's not like they got him for astronomical money.

• Advertisement

It's not a star players wage anymore compare it to city's, united or Chelsea top earners it's not; )

Plus if we have a club like Wolfsburg outbidding us for players is a disgrace never mind his wage demands reports are saying we wouldn't match there bid. That is a disgrace no matter what spin you put on it it's not like they got him for astronomical money.

Wolfsburg are bankrolled by VW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Until we sign someone, people will be furious with any player that might fit going to any club for any price.

That's how desperate the club are for players.

I'm still hoping for an all out splash the cash (Suarez) and two backup players, one for Mert and one for Arteta.

At the end of the summer, I'll simply say - Wenger you spanner, why did you risk so much by signing the backup's late.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Bender and suarez for sure - jotivic, Rooney possibly

you mean Jovetic who joined manchester city over a month ago?
    and which Bender? Lars or Sven? neither going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Probably end up with futurama's bender.

and which Bender? Lars or Sven? neither going to happen.

Both! The fans can call them the wonder twins! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Would really love it a journalist had the courage to take Wenger to task over his transfer policy in the press conference today, really ask him the difficult questions rather than just listen to him philosophise like a University lecturer. He needs to articulate his plans to the supporters that he seem to so blatantly disregard.

Im a huge Wenger fan but if we do sign Flamini (only speculation I know) then it makes a mockery of every season ticket holder and he need to explain himself.

you know what i've noticed him doing recently is butting in before the reporter can finish the real question he's asking, talking over them even and then wenger takes it off direction too.

you'll only notice that if you see the full press conf. instead of just a clip of him speaking on SSN or on the website the title of the story broadly is about the answer

and even then its quite hard to actually notice what the journos are asking but i picked up on it at the emirates cup ones

the press conf. is on the player now, must watch it

greendom wrote: »
    Wolfsburg are bankrolled by VW

I know that but they got him for 14 million!!! Yet we wouldn't match that. No excuses for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its all about perspective; we could have Santos and Denilson, who probably were on close to 120k, between them contributing absolutely nothing or we could have an incumbent Brazilian international proven at the highest level in Europe who if fit would probably start 30-40 games this season for the same price.

We're running a circus at the moment, and I'm not really finding it one bit funny.

I know that but they got him for 14 million!!! Yet we wouldn't match that. No excuses for that.

14 million isn't the problem. I'm sure we would have matched that.

It's the 114k a week. Which as I said, is higher than any current Arsenal player and will give many players like Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere and Koscielny a reason to look for more money; whether it is in the club or outside the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We're living in the past with regard to wages. Players of Gustavo's quality demand high wages. Thats just how it is. If we dont want to pay over €100k for a player where exactly does Wenger expect to sign 2-3 players of "super super quality" from?

keano_afc wrote: »
    If we dont want to pay over €100k for a player where exactly does Wenger expect to sign 2-3 players of "super super quality" from?

From 1996 apparently.

I thought we bid more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

14 million isn't the problem. I'm sure we would have matched that.

It's the 114k a week. Which as I said, is higher than any current Arsenal player and will give many players like Cazorla, Walcott, Wilshere and Koscielny a reason to look for more money; whether it is in the club or outside the club.

We've saved thousands a week on wages so we can pay players that bit extra who are going to contribute. How much were Chamakh, Santos, Denilson, Squirrel, Arshavin on a week combined for no contribution? Are you telling me their wages cant be spent on a player who would have made a difference for us? Its crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

ESPN are saying £17m with comments from Gustave "I need to play, play, play"

it also says he agreed to wolfsburg with less money than arsenal are offering

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ESPN are saying £17m with comments from Gustave "I need to play, play, play"

it also says he agreed to wolfsburg with less money than arsenal are offering

I've read differently and going by ESPN the last two summers I'd have them on a par with goal.com

Second bit I don't buy either he would have played a lot of games at Arsenal no doubt his chances of playing for Brazil would have been improved at Arsenal aswell.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement