Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think the Gustavo transfer is one to beat ourselves up about. He had plenty of offers to join clubs all over Europe and he chose to stay in Germany for his own reasons. Nothing Arsenal could have done about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ESPN are saying £17m with comments from Gustave "I need to play, play, play"

it also says he agreed to wolfsburg with less money than arsenal are offering

I'd say his primary driver is to ensure he is playing for Brazil at the world cup next year and we could not give him the assurance that his name would be first on the team sheet for every game. I assume that's what Wolfsburg have given him (along with more wages obviously).

Even as an optimist I am highly concerned at the lack of depth and cover in the squad and am getting more and more frustrated because I really believe our team with a couple of additions are well capable of mounting a serious challenge for the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I've read differently and going by ESPN the last two summers I'd have them on a par with goal.com

Second bit I don't buy either he would have played a lot of games at Arsenal no doubt his chances of playing for Brazil would have been improved at Arsenal aswell.

watch the video, their talking about what rafa honeigstein said

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/230357.html

he'd play games at munich too, no doubt but from what he's said now & even the stories about him being available in january, it's all about being a starter for him

sometime it's not arsenals fault or you can't blame them, sometimes :pac:

how would his chance of playing for brazil increase at arsenal if he already starts for them :confused:
    + scolari is loyal to his players/starter from what i heard about him in the confed. cup

the way things are at the minute arsenal & wenger would get crucified for not getting messi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I'm not pissed as such at loosing out on Gustavo but more so on the fact it's been quite clear we had an interest in a player and once again we couldn't close the deal.

We really have to be the worst club for getting business done. Once again were going into a season desperately short lessons are never learned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Is it time to put Wenger out to pasture?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

FearDark wrote: »

I really want the man to succeed as I want arsenal to succeed.

But as i've said before I think if he doesn't sign a new contract it might not be the worst thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Not yet. He says he wants to add 2/3 players, maybe more, and I believe him. He says he wants to add quality players and I believe him. If he fails to sign at least 2 players who can make a real contribution then maybe we can ask that question then. It's still to early right now.

I don't think he'll be eating grass anyway !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

L'prof wrote: »
    Not yet. He says he wants to add 2/3 players, maybe more, and I believe him. He says he wants to add quality players and I believe him. If he fails to sign at least 2 players who can make a real contribution then maybe we can ask that question then. It's still to early right now.

But when is too late? Drop points in the league and go out of the CL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I read somewhere last week that you guys are a banker for champions league qualification anyway because Fenerbache may get thrown out? Has to make you feel better. Especially remembering that Udinese scare.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

This all smacks of desperation. If believing the optimists, Wenger has got his players identified and lined up. If so why suddenly bid for Gustavo.

My season ticket will still be renewed next year but they really are taking the piss out of the fans.

We MAY get 4th again but this was the year if we had spent big (and we have the cash to do so ) we could have challenged for the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I would be happier if he said 'we will' or 'I need', he has been 'wanting' special talent for years now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Kirby wrote: »
    I read somewhere last week that you guys are a banker for champions league qualification anyway because Fenerbache may get thrown out? Has to make you feel better. Especially remembering that Udinese scare.

If Fenerbahce win and then get ejected from the competition, Arsenal still would not qualify. UEFA semantics and so forth. Read about it on the Arseblog a couple of weeks back.

Regardless, we should be looking at winning both legs. Our current squad is strong enough to do so (by the time the game comes around).

Wonder will we have a smirky Wenger or a cross Wenger at today's press conference when pressed on transfer targets.

Tomorrow's game looks tougher by the minute, yet I think it's going to be exciting. Villa have played well as a team in their pre-season. Arsenal will have to score right away, play for a strong win. Walcott to get the first goal I'd say. (For Arsenal)

did anyone watch the press conf.?

Journo: are the club still working on a new bid of luis saurez, is that accurate?
    wenger: look, I don't want to come out on specific names because that would not be right, usually in the press you're well informed
    room: laughter from journos, wenger smirking, hearty laughter from journos
    J: is wayne rooney still an active target
    W:there again i can just repeat the same sentence
    r: wenger smiling, journos laugh

sign all the dislikeables

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I've been a staunch AW defender over the years and have been vocal in saying that he deserves a shot at spending the money when it came after guiding us through the difficult years. I'm absolutely astounded after the fanfare of late May/early June (where it was professed to one and all that we had turned a corner and could spend big) that quite simply nothing has happened.

As things stand we're in for another Groundhog Day 4th place season at best. Frisbee called it a few pages back; in any other workplace this sort of criminal negligence, and what appears to be genuine incompetence when it comes to transfers, would see you sacked. And tbqh that's exactly what should happen to both AW and IG if we endure another season like the last 3/4. The fans are rightly sick of it; we're paying Michelin Star prices to eat in a ****ing Bistro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we will sign Rooney or Suarez
    I think we will add another 1 or 2 players of quality with them

I think he is playing with fire by trusting a paper thin squad to guide us through the opening of the season

I also think the majority of posters here are nuts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

In fairness ... and I'm leaving town after this one.

If Suarez is the only real nailed on first team player we sign, that'd be OK with me, as long as the players we sign as backup to Arteta and Mert are young with bags of potential.

Given the start of the summer, if you said Suarez, say Ginter(young, hailed as future German star & partner to hummels etc) and an equivalent midfielder, I would have said 'deal'.

You can understand there being no hurry to sign Suarez, that's fair enough.

Where Wenger has really, really mistepped is in not getting backup for Arteta or Mert. They're the two players we can't afford to be without and his gamble didn't hold out. Or at least, it might not unless Jack/Rambo can do a good job there.

The problem we all have ...and this is why everyone's going so batsh1t mental ... is we don't know what Wenger is gambling with. Clearly he's taking a risk by waiting so late but why?

If for example it came out that Bender was joining but wouldn't leave Bayer Lever to join Arsenal until we'd qualified for the CL, I'd be completely happy with Wenger's judgement on that. Or if we got Fellaini (who I don't really want but if Wenger were in for him, I'd trust his judgement). You know, maybe then there could be a reason for leaving it so late.

However, as people have mentioned, if we end up with Flamini, then it's just incompetence. Regardless of what his original plans might have been, the way it would have played out means he would have done a really poor job.

So for me, there's still hope here that the window could be good overall. Fans are in panic mode and the club's given them nothing to be positive about so I'm not surprised people are losing the plot.

Still, I'll wait for the end of the window and the reasons why. Probably just in foolish hope rather than anything else.

(but I want Suarez ... two others ... and a damn good explanation!!!)

cson wrote: »
    I've been a staunch AW defender over the years and have been vocal in saying that he deserves a shot at spending the money when it came after guiding us through the difficult years. I'm absolutely astounded after the fanfare of late May/early June (where it was professed to one and all that we had turned a corner and could spend big) that quite simply nothing has happened.

As things stand we're in for another Groundhog Day 4th place season at best. Frisbee called it a few pages back; in any other workplace this sort of criminal negligence, and what appears to be genuine incompetence when it comes to transfers, would see you sacked. And tbqh that's exactly what should happen to both AW and IG if we endure another season like the last 3/4. The fans are rightly sick of it; we're paying Michelin Star prices to eat in a ****ing Bistro.

watch wenger reaction to the question/statement "there's always been this talk of you've got money to spend this year" in the press conf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Have to say im very disappointed that we havent even brought in some backup players before the season starts. Didnt think we'd have any superstars by now but really thought we have at least one player brought in.

Wenger is taking a risk with this squad making it through the start of the season ok

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

batistuta9 wrote: »
    watch wenger reaction to the question/statement "there's always been this talk of you've got money to spend this year" in the press conf.

How did he react?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Suarez apologized

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Raf32 wrote: »
    Suarez apologized

Source? If its true you have to tip the cap to Liverpool, in fairness they will probably lose him next year but didn't take his sh1t and held on to him. That kind of hard nosed approach is what needed from Arsenal on and off the pitch.

Source? If its true you have to tip the cap to Liverpool, in fairness they will probably lose him next year but didn't take his sh1t and held on to him. That kind of hard nosed approach is what needed from Arsenal on and off the pitch.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8873198/

Totally agreed, we are too much of pushovers.

Theres barely any targets that we are linked with that excite me at this state, absolute joke of a club and how its run, both board and Wenger.

Suarez apologized

Bet he didnt. Its all just twitter. There was a pic released that showed him (maybe) training with the first team. Thats it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

There in for Willian as well. Them along with Spurs have strengthened very well to be fair to them.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8873198/

Totally agreed, we are too much of pushovers.

He has 3 years on his contract. That is a massive help in not being a pushover.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Bet he didnt. Its all just twitter. There was a pic released that showed him (maybe) training with the first team. Thats it

Its in the link top of the page, scratch another one the list.

• Advertisement

Its in the link top of the page, scratch another one the list.

Read what the link said. Still dont think he has apologised.

greendom wrote: »
    He has 3 years on his contract. That is a massive help in not being a pushover.

I know regarding Nasri and RVP, but Fabregas did the same came out wanted to leave and us being the nice gentlemen club we are agreed to let him go home! Taking installments as well which still arent paid, and then sold one our best midfielders the year after with them owing us millions.

Read what the link said. Still dont think he has apologised.
    Forward Luis Suarez trained with Liverpool's first-team squad on Friday according to Sky Sports sources, after apologising to his team mates for his conduct this summer.

Pretty clear I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We done the same with cesc

Pretty clear I think.

Not really. Its SSN!! No quotes no nothin.

how's that Rooney chase coming along Arsene?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Not really. Its SSN!! No quotes no nothin.

rodgers said yesterday suarez won't be training with the first team until he apologized. today he is back training with the first team so it's a bit obvious he made some apologies to someone

there is no need for rodgers to put him back into first team training unless he apologized, since he can not play for another 6 games

darego wrote: »
    rodgers said yesterday suarez won't be training with the first team until he apologized. today he is back training with the first team so it's a bit obvious he made some apologies to someone

there is no need for rodgers to put him back into first team training unless he apologized, since he can not play for another 6 games

Bargaining technique!!

*crosses fingers!!

hopefully

• Advertisement

Wenger seemingly rules out signing attacking midfielder: "We have Wilshere, Chamberlain, Cazorla, Rosicky, Podolski. We have no need."

Wenger seemingly rules out signing attacking midfielder: "We have Wilshere, Chamberlain, Cazorla, Rosicky, Podolski. We have no need."

that's fair enough, i think we're ok-ish at AM, wouldn't mind Grenier or the like.

What say you folks to Johan Kebab? (i've just had a kebab for lunch so it put me in that mind)
    I'd say yes please.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How did he react?

i don't want to try to explain it, thats why i said to watch the video :pac:

he went hmmm, then had a wry smile

to me it looked like he hated the fact that was announced & gazidas for announcing it, undermining him basically

maybe its nothing but you know when you can tell more by peoples reactions to things if you spot them, than whats actually done or said, thats the impression i got from it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I think myself if we fail to get through the CL qualifier he should go, because if that happens the blame lies squarely at his feet. If we don't make it through what chance have we in the league. I'm not talking getting 4th either. The days of scraping 4th and Wenger getting away with are gone. We need to challenge this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Why the fcuk are so many posters in here concerned about money. Matching 114k a week for Gustavo wouldnt be the end of the world if we had bothered to offer it and no, its not too much imo. Football has moved on and theres no way any club will sign a top top player for anything less than 20 odd million and usually nothing less than 100-150k a week. But here we still are hoping to get a world class player for 10 million and hoping he'll settle for 80k a week.
    Not just here but too many Arsenal fans are money concerned, its like Wenger's philosophy has started to rub off on us and it drives me nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gringo180 wrote: »
    There in for Willian as well. Them along with Spurs have strengthened very well to be fair to them.

Liverpool have not strengthened well. keep Suarez and Will I am and they will have but that's still just all rumour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

bad2dabone wrote: »
    that's fair enough, i think we're ok-ish at AM, wouldn't mind Grenier or the like.

What say you folks to Johan Kebab? (i've just had a kebab for lunch so it put me in that mind)
    I'd say yes please.

Too similar to Arteta for me. If we get a midfielder I'd rather a defensive midfielder that gives Arteta the freedom to contribute more to the attack

Too similar to Arteta for me. If we get a midfielder I'd rather a defensive midfielder that gives Arteta the freedom to contribute more to the attack

we have wilshere and ramsey who could offer more to attack than arteta. i would like someone who can just rotate with arteta, who would do the same job to allow wilshere, ramsey, cazorla to concentrate more on attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Maybe i am being overly optimistic but i think we will get either Suarez or Rooney. I know, I'm deluded. But because of Gazidas comments at the start of the summer Wenger now has to spend big on big players, or else deal with the inevitable backlash from the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

dvemail wrote: »
    Maybe i am being overly optimistic but i think we will get either Suarez or Rooney. I know, I'm deluded. But because of Gazidas comments at the start of the summer Wenger now has to spend big on big players, or else deal with the inevitable backlash from the fans.

Suarez is back training and joking around with the Liverpool first-team. I think the deal's dead and if it isn't, what is stop us making a third bid? Can't see Rooney happening, Utd seem steadfast and don't want to undermine Moyes by having his first major transfer dealing to be selling Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Suarez is back training and joking around with the Liverpool first-team. I think the deal's dead and if it isn't, what is stop us making a third bid? Can't see Rooney happening, Utd seem steadfast and don't want to undermine Moyes by having his first major transfer dealing to be selling Rooney.

Yeah but by all accounts both players want out and Utd didn't want to sell to Chelsea as they are a direct rival. Say they would be more inclined to sell to Arsenal as we are a level below at the moment.
    Has Suarez apologized to Liverpool as a whole or just the teammates? If it was just to the teammates then i still feel he still wants to go. Nobody comes out with a statement like he did only to go back on it within weeks. He still wants to leave Liverpool and its time for Arsene it make it happen. Unfortunately that involves spending money which he doesn't like to do often.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement