Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

So who's this Suarez fella anyway?

Any use?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Any use?

Plays for Anderlecht :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Any use?

He's not bad, there's a bit of bite to him

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Kess73 wrote: »
    Plays for Anderlecht :D
    Jesus, I remember when we were being linked heavily with that guy. Sad days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

cson wrote: »
    He'll still get the season for me, but really AW leaves himself in a very difficult place if we're still scrapping for 4th this coming season and nothing comes off in the transfer window for him.

Real wouldn't countenance selling Benzema I'm afraid. Definitely think we should be pushing harder for Higuain but if Real are acting the ****e fee wise there then there's not a lot you can do. We've a big stack of chips but no one to play poker with at the moment.

We've a big stack but we're not an oil club.

This isn't like Chelsea's initial splurge where we can just throw money all over the place and get Johnson, Mutu, Duff, Parker, Geremi, Crespo, Bridge and so on.

Arsenal still need this to work out and we can't have transfer targets just for the sake of having transfer targets.

It could be that we don't get the star names this year but say if Bender moves next season we're there to remind him we were interested all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

Reading the Liverpool thread on their match now it sounds like Suarez really isnt interested in being there.

A transfer request could be next step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Jesus, I remember when we were being linked heavily with that guy. Sad days.

And funnily enough Liverpool were linked with him as well :D

Just thinking, it'd be tragically amusing if Liverpool deciding to hold onto Suarez at all costs resulted in us finishing 5th, but with Spurs finishing third and Moyes scraping 4th with United...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Just thinking, it'd be tragically amusing if Liverpool deciding to hold onto Suarez at all costs resulted in us finishing 5th, but with Spurs finishing third and Moyes scraping 4th with United...

So you'd be happy with 6th then? :p

• Advertisement

I don't understand how that could be amusing????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Not following what is amusing here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

gosplan wrote: »
    I think if Wenger's offering 20+ million for players like Bernard and Bender and 40+ million for Suarez, then he clearly had big reservations about upping the fee for Higuain.

LOL that has to be the loosest use of a plus sign possible

8-10 wrote: »
    LOL that has to be the loosest use of a plus sign possible

There are too many 0's before you get to that extra 1 :D

Soups123 wrote: »
    Not following what is amusing here?
    I don't understand how that could be amusing????
    I'm guessing you guys aren't fans of black comedy or gallows humour then...

jonny666 wrote: »
    Maybe we should just splash the 50million. Suarez is prob worth 20million more then Higuain.

The prices are seriously inflated from oil money but we cant turn around now giving out about it when we benefited a lot from it too by selling over priced players to them.

Give pool somewhere close to the 50million and move on
    . Get in a defender and lets start being a proper football club again

Exciting days

:rolleyes:

I'm glad some of the lads here are not running Arsenal because the discussion then would be whether any hypothetical 'Newco' could keep our previous history after buying our liquidised assets once we go to the wall ala Rangers, rather then the actual healthy situation we are in.

• Advertisement

Nah it was just a poor attempt at being funny.

I'm glad some of the lads here are not running Arsenal because the discussion then would be whether any hypothetical 'Newco' could keep our previous history after buying our liquidised assets once we go to the wall ala Rangers, rather then the actual healthy situation we are in.
    Eh, we've bid £40m, what he's suggested isn't exactly a huge difference...

I like a bit of Will Smith but havent seen him use that one.

Although I missed the word tragic in my first read :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

Suarez wants to talk to arsenal =)

I like a bit of Will Smith but havent seen him use that one.
    haha :)

Anyway it's probably better defined as tragic irony rather than either of the above, but perhaps it's better to stick to dick and fart jokes around here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Can't see Liverpool getting top 4 with or without Suarez tbh, if we have a poor season and fall out Spurs will be the ones to overtake us.

I really do wonder if Wenger & co are stoned offering 40mil + £1 for Suarez.
    Liverpool will hold out for £50mil like they did with Torres.
    Suarez is only worth 25mil, and that's just for his teeth alone.

Wenger stick to the unknowns please.

AdamD wrote: »
    Can't see Liverpool getting top 4 with or without Suarez tbh, if we have a poor season and fall out Spurs will be the ones to overtake us.

Seriously this one comes out every year now.

We are the only team bidding, Real might come in with a bid but nothing so far. Liverpool are in a dangerous position and could end having to hold onto him.

Suarez is only worth 25mil, and that's just for his teeth

Ha.

Seriously this one comes out every year now.

I didn't say its going to happen, I said if we don't get top 4 they'll be the ones to get it. Big difference.

jester77 wrote: »
    We are the only team bidding, Real might come in with a bid but nothing so far. Liverpool are in a dangerous position and could end having to hold onto him.

Liverpool arent looking to offload him though, they stuck by him through all the ****e, I feel thy need him regardless of what he wants.

I didn't say its going to happen, I said if we don't get top 4 they'll be the ones to get it. Big difference.

What you actually said Bob;

'if we have a poor season and fall out Spurs will be the ones to overtake us.'

This is what some Arsenal fans have being saying for 5 years now. Once Bale is gone you can shave 15-18 points of them from last season.

This is what some Arsenal fans have being saying for 5 years now. Once Bale is gone you can shave 15-18 points of them from last season.

Yeah and its a hypothetical in relation to why I think Liverpool won't get top 4 - they're behind both teams imo.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The fact is they are the most likely to overtake us though, provided they don't lose Bale. That's been true for quite a few seasons now, people have only been saying it because it's a fact.

If Bale goes then i wouldn't be so sure of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

I think Liverpool should be more worried about slipping down to the bottom half of the table, if they lose Suarez.

Liverpool arent looking to offload him though, they stuck by him through all the ****e, I feel thy need him regardless of what he wants.

The lad has been making it very obvious the whole summer that he doesn't want to be there. They would be foolish to hold onto someone like that. That sort of attitude is not welcome in any dressing room.

FearDark wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23428419

Suarez wants to talk to arsenal =)

There's your £1 right there.

Eh, we've bid £40m, what he's suggested isn't exactly a huge difference...

Its the idea that we should just barge in, make an absurd offer, and ask no questions whatsoever ala what Liverpool done with Andy Carroll is what i take exception to. There was a gradual process up to us offering £40m. Tbh given all the baggage that comes with Suarez i dont think Liverpool can really classify him in the Falcao/Cavani mould.

There is a great element of risk here and the fact he actually wants to push a move after Liverpool defending him to the hilt is a further indication of the type of individual we are getting for 40m.

Say he has a bad season, we're 40m down and next thing he is fluttering his eye lashes at other clubs

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

When is the deadline for registration ahead of the CL qualifiers? If Arsenal are to get Suarez I'd guess they will want him in ahead of those games, considering he would actually be allowed to play and all.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The fact is they are the most likely to overtake us though, provided they don't lose Bale. That's been true for quite a few seasons now, people have only been saying it because it's a fact.

If Bale goes then i wouldn't be so sure of course.

Here's your fact, in all of the last 3 years we underperformed, didnt strengthen as people would have liked, Spurs still never took us over...FACT

Im just saying its being said...again

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Here's your fact, in all of the last 3 years we underperformed, didnt strengthen as people would have liked, Spurs still never took us over...FACT

You're missing the point, nobody is saying they will overtake us but that they are the most likely to overtake us. It's a perfectly valid point.

In fairness Chelsea were probably the most likely to overtake us last season though and did.

Yeah but we're the Wigan of the top 4. Sooner or later it would catch up with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We havent spent a penny in nearly ten years. If we wanna compete we need to spend the money.

You said it yourself there. We are in a healthy situation now. We've had years of being penny pinchers so that we can compete with the big boys. Now we are :pac:

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Yeah but we're the Wigan of the top 4. Sooner or later it would catch up with us.

In fairness they have done it continuously on the same budget, if what we are hearing is true we are about to take a step up to the top table of finances.

Anyway back to Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Whats the £1 for? for liverpool to buy can of beer to celebrate screwing arsenal for 40m for a player who has a terrible personality?

We havent spent a penny in nearly ten years. If we wanna compete we need to spend the money.

You said it yourself there. We are in a healthy situation now. We've had years of being penny pinchers so that we can compete with the big boys. Now we are :pac:

You have to be smart about it too though. Just because you have it doesnt mean you just throw it down the swanny irresponsibly.

I think they should tell Liverpool, 'here is 40m so take it or leave it' tbh. Give them a few days to make up their mind and if the answer is no then move on to the next target.

At 40m were taking a massive gamble on a player who is currently serving his second ban for biting after previously serving a ban for racially abusing a player

You have to be smart about it too though. Just because you have it doesnt mean you just throw it down the swanny irresponsibly.

I think they should tell Liverpool, 'here is 40m so take it or leave it' tbh. Give them a few days to make up their mind and if the answer is no then move on to the next target.

At 40m were taking a massive gamble on a player who has currently serving his second ban for biting after previously serving a ban for racially abusing a player

We have offered Liverpool 40million! They rejected it. I reckon we can meet in the middle if they do really want 55million.

What other target tho? Higuain is close to siging for Napoli. Who else. Rooney? Will cost as much as Suarez between fee and wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Suarez is one of the best in Europe. A take it or leave it offer will result in us looking elsewhere. Liverpool want £55m so offering £40m and saying that's your lot will never work. I think they will accept about £50m so we should keep trying.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Suarez is one of the best in Europe. A take it or leave it offer will result in us looking elsewhere. Liverpool want £55m so offering £40m and saying that's your lot will never work. I think they will accept about £50m so we should keep trying.

Goal scoring aside is he worth 50m though? Alot of baggage for 40m as it is

• Advertisement

Goal scoring aside is he worth 50m though?

You cannot put the most important reason for a striker to one side!

If he gets 30 goals a season then im ok with 50m

Goal scoring aside is he worth 50m though? Alot of baggage for 40m as it is

You shouldnt be so concerned with the price. Especially as an Arsenal fan. We have spend fcuk all the last few years. Who cares if we over spend by ten million this one time. We deserve it

We have offered Liverpool 40million! They rejected it. I reckon we can meet in the middle if they do really want 55million.

What other target tho?
    Higuain is close to siging for Napoli. Who else. Rooney? Will cost as much as Suarez between fee and wages.

Well i suppose Soldado's release fee is 26m and while he is likely to go to Spurs he is not gone yet

You shouldn't be so concerned with the price. Especially as an Arsenal fan. We have spend fcuk all the last few years. Who cares if we over spend by ten million this one time. We deserve it

If it goes pear shaped then we'll go back to square one in terms of reluctance to splash out and it could all easily end in tears with Suarez.

If we're going to pay that sort of money then it should be not just for a player with exceptional scoring rate but exceptional discipline too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

If Suarez throws a strop over Liverpool rejecting the bid then it might force Liverpools hand.

50M is crazy money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement