Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I'm just devastated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Christian Erikksen and Toby Alderweild are still available ...Wenger hello !!! The two of them Julio Cesar and a tip top Striker Jackson Martinez, Suarez or someone of that ilk and ill be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Christian Erikksen and Toby Alderweild are still available ...Wenger hello !!! The two of them Julio Cesar and a tip top Striker Jackson Martinez, Suarez or someone of that ilk and ill be happy

Not going to happen.
    A few lads nobody heard about will be signed a la Sanogo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great bunch there Brian, I wish you were the manager and signing those. But I doubt we sign anyone of that class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

iMuse wrote: »
    I predict a mass panic buying of deadwood in the near future

The last panic buying saw the signings of Arteta and Mertesacker. Not exactly deadwood. Quite the opposite in face. They have developed into two of our biggest players now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    The last panic buying saw the signings of Arteta and Mertesacker. Not exactly deadwood. Quite the opposite in face. They have developed into two of our biggest players now.

Selective examples. What about Benayoun, Park, Santos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Good job Wenger, look what you gifted them on a plate with your lack of ambition.

Good job Wenger, look what you gifted them on a plate with your lack of ambition.

He wouldn't get away with this at any other big club, I say that sadly loosely cause we don't act like a big club. He would have been sacked by now.

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Good players but not good enough to win leagues. He's bought a lot of average.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

What I don't understand about all of this is that they're now supposedly throwing 40 m at Liverpool for the Suarez etc, but if they had dug in with two of their best players they wouldn't have to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

RVP scores again in game against Swansea leading 3-0 now. Thats how to do it on the opening game of the season and Utd are playing away from home. Dont mean to draw comparisons between ourselves and the mancs lads but their result versus ours on the opening day of the season shows the difference in quality between us and the current PL champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

TheGunns wrote: »
    I hate this thread :( It's been a 24/7 meltdown for the last while

Things are not that bad

Now things are really bad! Don't you think?

Sergio wrote: »
    RVP scores again in game against Swansea leading 3-0 now. Thats how to do it on the opening game of the season and Utd are playing away from home. Dont mean to draw comparisons between ourselves and the mancs lads but their result versus ours on the opening day of the season shows the difference in quality between us and the current PL champions.

Yeah they are quality and we ain't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Now things are really bad! Don't you think?

Jesus creeping much? you had to go back a while to find that post we could all go creep through each others posts and find a post to argue with or to prove a point, im fair sure if the gunns wanted to be petty he could come back to your post and do the exact same thing in a few months. Give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Rumours Chamberlain is out for 3 months

Raf32 wrote: »
    Rumours Chamberlain is out for 3 months

If true the hole digs deeper. As I said last night a defeat and injuries would just have to happen to us. This is really getting downbeat now. Wenger still sprouting ****e. losing to a team we should be beaten. dodgy ref. losing players to injury and suspension. It's only been 1 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I have supported Wenger for years.

I recall the glorious days back in 2001/2002/2003/2004 when we were the best team on the planet, playing the best football, for the best fans.

I feel worse now than after the 8-2 mauling 2 years ago against man utd... why?

Because I realize we have been completely fooled and have had the piss taken out of us.
    I went away and analysed Transfers this season... and I have to say, every position where we have had a problem we could have signed someone no bother.
    Mignolet/Cesar for GK.
    Gustavo/Wanyama/Capuea/Paulinho for DCM
    Jovetic/Navas/Zaha for AMC/AMR/AML.

WHO IS LEFT TO SIGN?

Keisuke Honda from CSKA Moscow - a fantastic player who was almost singed by AC Milan recently until CSKA pulled the plug on it... he wants to leave, he's a brilliant player at his favoured CM/AMC position and if this club are so fussy about commercial sales, he would certainly boost them in Japan.

Adil Rami
    wants to leave Valencia. CB/DCM.

Christian Eriksen wants to leave Ajax - Surely this would be a possible signing given our links to the fantastic bergkamp who is part of the coaching staff at Ajax??? . AMC/Suarezesque

Mathieu Valbuena - Marseille who are debt ridden. AMC.

Any Anzhi Player who are debt ridden - Yohan M'Vila/Sammy Eto.

4 or 5 solid signings there and wouldnt cost over 60 million pounds altogether.

Or as Wenger would say - "Top, top quality" - there here boss. Sign them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Sitting in the boozer in stansted airport. Fecking livid. Ref was appalling. We need to spend and spend fast. Can't even think straight to post. Rosisky and Jack were stand out today. The rest, especially Theo need to take a long hard look at themselves.
    I've been a fan of wenger for a long time -FFS I even named my dog after him, but as I have been saying for a couple of seasons now- it's time to go.
    He needs to get his cheque book out and pay he going rate for players. Just because hw doesn't value a player the same as everybody else doesn't mean he shouldn't buy them. FFS I don't think my cider is worth what I'm paying for it, but as its the going rate, I'll pay it.
    Arrghhhh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I just don't understand what is happening at Arsenal.
    There is something very wrong. Like us, Wenger obviously knows we are very short and yet it has not been addressed.
    When you are short the things you don't need to happen usually do i.e. bad injuries, sending offs and poor refereeing decisions. It's Sod's Law indeed but much of it is self-inflicted.
    We should have done our business early and had a settled squad well before the season started and even before we went on tour in order that they could settle in.
    The more I think about it the more I worry. Like why did some of the players call for more signings UNLESS they believed there would be none? Something radically wrong at Arsenal and I hope we learn what it is soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I missed the match. I dont think things could have went much worse result and injury wise. It really feels like the end of Wengers era at the moment. I wont accept fighting for 4th this season and neither will the majority of the fans. Sad times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wenger wrote:
    "Gibbs has a deep cut, Sagna, Rosicky has a problem. Ramsey has a problem with a kick on his ankle."

Not looking good for Wed.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Damn you lot for selling RVP to them.
    Dapics wrote: »
    I have supported Wenger for years.

I recall the glorious days back in 2001/2002/2003/2004 when we were the best team on the planet, playing the best football, for the best fans.

I feel worse now than after the 8-2 mauling 2 years ago against man utd... why?

Because I realize we have been completely fooled and have had the piss taken out of us.
    I went away and analysed Transfers this season... and I have to say, every position where we have had a problem we could have signed someone no bother.
    Mignolet/Cesar for GK.
    Gustavo/Wanyama/Capuea/Paulinho for DCM
    Jovetic/Navas/Zaha for AMC/AMR/AML.

WHO IS LEFT TO SIGN?

Keisuke Honda from CSKA Moscow - a fantastic player who was almost singed by AC Milan recently until CSKA pulled the plug on it... he wants to leave, he's a brilliant player at his favoured CM/AMC position and if this club are so fussy about commercial sales, he would certainly boost them in Japan.

Adil Rami
    wants to leave Valencia. CB/DCM.

Christian Eriksen wants to leave Ajax - Surely this would be a possible signing given our links to the fantastic bergkamp who is part of the coaching staff at Ajax??? . AMC/Suarezesque

Mathieu Valbuena - Marseille who are debt ridden. AMC.

Any Anzhi Player who are debt ridden - Yohan M'Vila/Sammy Eto.

4 or 5 solid signings there and wouldnt cost over 60 million pounds altogether.

Or as Wenger would say - "Top, top quality" - there here boss. Sign them.

Eriksen is Suarez-esque? o_0

M'Vila plays for Rubin Kazan, not Anzhi.

Eto'o wants like a billion euros in wages.

Valbuena will stay at Marseille, I'm 100% convinced about that.

Also Valbuena and Eriksen will take up the same position that Cazorla plays in, no?

Speaking objectively it's already pretty damn funny but if Chamberlain and Sagna are missing for a while then let's be honest it's ****ing hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Damn you lot for selling RVP to them.

Eriksen is Suarez-esque? o_0

M'Vila plays for Rubin Kazan, not Anzhi.

Eto'o wants like a billion euros in wages.

Valbuena will stay at Marseille, I'm 100% convinced about that.

Also Valbuena and Eriksen will take up the same position that Cazorla plays in, no?

Eriksen is as damn good as we will get this transfer window in the Suarez Mold.

I was just shooting out players there that I know are availiable and not yet sold.
    Valbuena plays CM/AMC whereas Eriksen can play all over the front.

Oh and FLAMINI :pac:

Apparently this was a quote from the Wenger post-game presser:

"You got what you wanted, you should be happy. Before the start the season that was all you write in the papers so what do you expect?"

Sounds like the last days of Brian Clough.

• Advertisement

"You got what you wanted, you should be happy. Before the start the season that was all you write in the papers so what do you expect?"

Source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Wengers laughable press conferance post Villa game.

He said the word "fantastic" to describe us several times. Blamed the ref and didn't mention any new players.

Just **** off.

He's sounding like a spoilt child, he wouldn't have this problem if he wasn't so stubborn.

Source?

@NickMiller365, he's the Deputy Editor for Football 365.

Alot of the hype was generated by his own Chief Executive, Ivan the terrible with the bullshít he peddled at that meeting the night. This is probably the thing that bugs me the most about AW, its always the fault of those outside the club. The club seem to have a failing to look within.

Its incredible the likes of Puma and co are continuing to throw the reported levels of money at a club that seems hell bent on not giving itself a chance to compete.

• Advertisement

Alot of the hype was generated by his own Chief Executive, Ivan the terrible with the bullshít he peddled at that meeting the night. This is probably the thing that bugs me the most about AW, its always the fault of those outside the club. The club seem to have a failing to look within.

Its incredible the likes of Puma and co are continuing to throw the reported levels of money at a club that seems hell bent on not giving itself a chance to compete.

I wouldn't blame Ivan at all, I think what he said was true and was his own way of putting pressure on Wenger to do what was needed.

I just don't understand what is happening at Arsenal.
    There is something very wrong. Like us, Wenger obviously knows we are very short and yet it has not been addressed.
    When you are short the things you don't need to happen usually do i.e. bad injuries, sending offs and poor refereeing decisions. It's Sod's Law indeed but much of it is self-inflicted.
    We should have done our business early and had a settled squad well before the season started and even before we went on tour in order that they could settle in.
    The more I think about it the more I worry. Like why did some of the players call for more signings UNLESS they believed there would be none? Something radically wrong at Arsenal and I hope we learn what it is soon.

I personally think Wenger doesn't want to sign anyone. If he was willing to spend that cash he would have done it weeks ago. It's a sad downfall to a once great manager. He clearly thinks 4th is what we should be aiming for anything after that is a bonus. He clearly hates spending big. Wants to prove to City and Chelsea big money spenders that Arsenal can do it without splashing big cash. He's clearly a man behind the times and has done all he can for Arsenal.

FearDark wrote: »
    Wengers laughable press conferance post Villa game.

He said the word "fantastic" to describe us several times. Blamed the ref and didn't mention any new players.

Just **** off.

Of course the elephant in the room is the big gaping hole in front of the defence which wont be addressed by Wenger. Its a pity the ref was so **** or that we got injuries because it seems to give him an excuse to dodge the real issues

In getting the likes of Puma to pay that kind of money, Ivan is doing his job. He's clearly being stifled, perhaps by Kroenke, in putting any pressure on Wenger to make signings.

I wouldn't blame Ivan at all, I think what he said was true and was his own way of putting pressure on Wenger to do what was needed.

God knows whats going on behind the scenes at Arsenal, it's clearly something that's not working. We come off like a mid table PL club at times. We act like we can't page the big wages and spend the big money. It demeans us as a big club and our fans.

Of course the elephant in the room is the big gaping hole in front of the defence which wont be addressed by Wenger. Its a pity the ref was so **** or that we got injuries because it seems to give him an excuse to dodge the real issues

It's a sign of a manager who doesn't have a clue what to do. I think he's gone as far as he can and just can't admit it. He was the cool and calm and collective manager into a rambling stubborn and delusion filled man who can't see the mess he's put himself in. Sad really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Lines man said he didn't award the second penalty. Why didn't the ref consult him? We were royally fücked over by him today

jonny666 wrote: »
    Lines man said he didn't award the second penalty. Why didn't the ref consult him? We were royally fücked over by him today

I'd be surprised if he's not demoted back into the championship. He broke the one rule the best ref's don't do and that's become front and centre of the problems of a match. He looked out of his depth, he clearly tried to impress but came across like he book anyone who was touched and ruined the game.

Well... what now?

Seriously where do we go from here. This is as low as I've seen Arsenal supporters since 94/95. Wenger has brought us as far as he can I feel, he has changed everything about us for the good from where we play to how we play.

But, he's lost his way and has been lost for quite some time I feel. We have been on a downward spiral for a long time now, making fantastic players, selling them, and starting again. This is not how great clubs run their clubs. Jesus Christ if Liverpool can fight and say "No you are not having our best players" why can't we? It's being going on for so long now I feel sick over it. Is this man happy going for 4th place year after year? He surely can't be. The once great man has fallen and it's time for him to go.

The die hards will say calm down we're only one game into the season, some thought we would challenge this year! In your heart of hearts does anyone here think we can challenge at all this year? Will we even get top 4, will we be slogging it out for 5th? Now nobody can say we are only two or three players from challenging, we are 10 players from making a good challenge.

If anyone wants to do the "It's only one match" argument would they care to take a guess at our line-ups for the next 2 matches? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What i want to know is what would this thread be like right now if we'd have won today ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Nicked this from the Villa thread.

Koscielny appears to take out Gabby's trailing leg before he touches the ball.

Gabby_Tackled_for_Pen_2_zps9dc011dd.gif

FearDark wrote: »
    Well... what now?

Seriously where do we go from here. This is as low as I've seen Arsenal supporters since 94/95. Wenger has brought us as far as he can I feel, he has changed everything about us for the good from where we play to how we play.

But, he's lost his way and has been lost for quite some time I feel. We have been on a downward spiral for a long time now, making fantastic players, selling them, and starting again. This is not how great clubs run their clubs. Jesus Christ if Liverpool can fight and say "No you are not having our best players" why can't we? It's being going on for so long now I feel sick over it. Is this man happy going for 4th place year after year? He surely can't be. The once great man has fallen and it's time for him to go.

The die hards will say calm down we're only one game into the season, some thought we would challenge this year! In your heart of hearts does anyone here think we can challenge at all this year? Will we even get top 4, will we be slogging it out for 5th? Now nobody can say we are only two or three players from challenging, we are 10 players from making a good challenge.

This is the kinda stuff that makes me discount most of the posts you type 10 players? Come on that's hyperbole at its finest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Everyone delighted we sold gervinho, finally shifting deadwood, how we could use him now with ox out for 3 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if he's not demoted back into the championship. He broke the one rule the best ref's don't do and that's become front and centre of the problems of a match. He looked out of his depth, he clearly tried to impress but came across like he book anyone who was touched and ruined the game.

Also, geoffarsenal tweeted and I thought the same at the time but forgot about it with everything else that when Szcz took the villa player down, the ref waved play on, they did and and missed. He then brought play back. It's either or. Not both.

Arsenal didn't cover themselves in glory. They were embarrassing but the ref really really fûcked us.

The ref wasn't great today but he's not the reason we lost.

jonny666 wrote: »
    Also, geoffarsenal tweeted and I thought the same at the time but forgot about it with everything else that when Szcz took the villa player down, the ref waved play on, they did and and missed. He then brought play back. It's either or. Not both.

Arsenal didn't cover themselves in glory. They were embarrassing but the ref really really fûcked us.
    Yeah the advantage thing seems to have gradually changed without much fanfare.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Nicked this from the Villa thread.

Koscielny appears to take out Gabby's trailing leg before he touches the ball.

Gabby_Tackled_for_Pen_2_zps9dc011dd.gif

Never a penalty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Never a penalty

He takes agbonlahor's standing leg before he gets near the ball though

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Dapics wrote: »
    Eriksen is as damn good as we will get this transfer window in the Suarez Mold.

I was just shooting out players there that I know are availiable and not yet sold.
    Valbuena plays CM/AMC whereas Eriksen can play all over the front.

Oh and FLAMINI :pac:

I'm a fan of Eriksen, seen him play many times and know quite a few regular Ajax match goers too, I can safely say with some confidence they nor myself would ever call Eriksen Suarez-esque. Suarez has much more to his game be it now or when both were at Ajax.

Eriksen is also wasted if played wide. He plays the most advanced of a midfield three for Ajax which is his preferred position like Cazorla and Valbuena. Latter of whom is a player who I've long believed to be very underrated.

Just from what I've seen of the squad today, you's need some defenders asap.

edit - and stop playing Woj!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement