Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

This is the kinda stuff that makes me discount most of the posts you type 10 players? Come on that's hyperbole at its finest.

Have a look at Man City's and Chelsea's squads this year. The two teams will certainly be going for the title this year. They have quality everywhere and enough to put two good sides together each. They get an injury, grand - lets slot in another world class player. If we get an injury we're automatically fooked.

We have bearly enough to string one good team together. Why sell ourselves short?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Never a penalty

Well, he took out Gabby's trailing leg before touching the ball.

Maybe instead of saying "Never a penalty", you can inform me of how what I said is wrong; because I'm genuinely confused.

I wouldn't blame Ivan at all, I think what he said was true and was his own way of putting pressure on Wenger to do what was needed.

My point was though that Wenger is accusing the media of creating hype regarding transfers but Gazidis fuelled that hype as much as any journalist. I thought Ivan was genuine but im beginning ot think he is a cut throat snake. I refuse to believe that any football man like Wenger would not improve their team when given funds. Its the suits that are still causing the shots at the club. The likes of Silent Stan and Mr Chips, perhaps even good old retired Peter from the golf course.

The reluctance to spend is nothing new to Arsenal and it was there long before Wenger's time. George Graham had to manage the club on peanuts and after him, Rioch spent the money on Bergkamp and Platt. The whingeing from Hill-Wood in the aftermath of those transfers was deafening and it was little wonder Rioch only lasted a year. When he only came 5th after spending the 13m on both Bergy and Platt he got the bullet.

Wenger isnt perfect but acts with a bit of responsibility transfer wise. He doesnt throw sulks like old 'Arry at QPR and he respects his employers and the policies they set out but the likes of Ivan havent shown the same to him.

The club needs David Dein back though as he was the only true football fan on that board. The day he walked out our troubles really begun. The Etonian big shots who go about their lives with a sense of entitlement yet they seem to treating fans who are emotionally invested in the club like sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

COYVB wrote: »
    He takes agbonlahor's standing leg before he gets near the ball though

Your talking a couple of milliseconds at most speed that up to real time, see the tackle for what it was a terrific tackle were the player got the ball, never ever a peno in a million years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

FearDark wrote: »
    Well... what now?

Seriously where do we go from here. This is as low as I've seen Arsenal supporters since 94/95. Wenger has brought us as far as he can I feel, he has changed everything about us for the good from where we play to how we play.

But, he's lost his way and has been lost for quite some time I feel. We have been on a downward spiral for a long time now, making fantastic players, selling them, and starting again. This is not how great clubs run their clubs. Jesus Christ if Liverpool can fight and say "No you are not having our best players" why can't we? It's being going on for so long now I feel sick over it. Is this man happy going for 4th place year after year? He surely can't be. The once great man has fallen and it's time for him to go.

The die hards will say calm down we're only one game into the season, some thought we would challenge this year! In your heart of hearts does anyone here think we can challenge at all this year? Will we even get top 4, will we be slogging it out for 5th? Now nobody can say we are only two or three players from challenging, we are 10 players from making a good challenge.

The die hards are clearly telling themselves it will get better, we weren't playing a top 4 rival today but a team that struggled to stay up last year and beat us with ease. I don't blame them but deep down inside they know it's just as messed up as the Fan's who think Wenger needs to go. Do I think we challenge? Unless Wenger buy's in 5 top players and beds them in quickly, then yes I can see us challenging for the title. If he doesn't buy players or buy's his bargin buys and French league players, I don't see us getting top 6, I'm been honest and I could see us struggling badly. Giroud up forward isn't good enough. He's a good hearted player but he's the type of player Wenger buys these days, Good but not good enough.

I think Wenger will last half a season if he doesn't buy. I think this squad is seriously lacking quality. It's just crazy Wenger doesn't see it and the die hards that support him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Your talking a couple of milliseconds at most speed that up to real time, see the tackle for what it was a terrific tackle were the player got the ball, never ever a peno in a million years.

he got the ball because he took the player's standing leg from under him

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Apparently the Mirror is covering the story "Arsene Wenger tells reporters, "You got what you wanted, you should be happy" quote.

Final days of Cloughie indeed.

And I am very sure that if it was teams reversed, you would be keen to point out the "milliseconds" yourself, as would most people.

Though the fact remains from what you can see from the gif is that he took out the man first. And in the rules, that's a penalty. As much as I hate to say it.

No. He got the ball because it was a brilliant tackle. As I said speed that tackle up to real time, not some slow mo.

What i want to know is what would this thread be like right now if we'd have won today ?

If we won comfortable, many would have paper over the cracks like Wenger would have done. I think in the long run it was the best thing to happen to us. Wenger is under pressure so he has to splash the cash and fan's won't accept another failure. Now will he buy great talent is another question altogether.

• Advertisement

No he got the ball. disgraceful decision. If I was Arsenal I try to get the card overturned to a yellow.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    And I am very sure that if it was teams reversed, you would be keen to point out the "milliseconds" yourself, as would most people.

Though the fact remains from what you can see from the gif is that he took out the man first. And in the rules, that's a penalty. As much as I hate to say it.

I still say no and I would argue this one all day. As an Arsenal fan I'd admit the other team were hard done by but still take it but wouldnt call it a peno.

But im off out I've had enough after watching that game today.

In terms of Koscielny though, what really lets him down is his discipline.

Had a few stupid last man red cards for Lorient before he came here; and he seems to have had a few stupid red cards here too; most notably the one against City.

He's a fantastic centre back but it is inexcusable. Even today, yes if it wasn't a penalty it should not have been a yellow card. But when a defender is booked, he shouldn't go in for another stupid tackle and for that he was sent off.

He needs to sort that side out.

So winning an aerial duel but making contact with the opposition player first is also a foul I suppose?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Its probaly going to end up like the 8-2 thing throw a load of **** at the wall and see what sticks , last time we got Per (an average defender) and Arteta

Now yes before im rounded on by people on here there good players...But would either of them get into any of the other top 5 teams ?

United could do with a player like Arteta.

He wouldn't get in to Chelsea or City though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

From @karlsentk

If you follow Arsenal you might want to tune in to Athletic Bilbao vs Valladolid (just kicked off) 1/2

Have on good authority that the Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera is wanted by Arsenal 2/2

Its probaly going to end up like the 8-2 thing throw a load of **** at the wall and see what sticks , last time we got Per (an average defender) and Arteta

Now yes before im rounded on by people on here there good players...But would either of them get into any of the other top 5 teams ?

Wilshire, Kos, Sagna, Carzola and maybe Walcott that's it. We seriously lack quality in our squad.

From @karlsentk

If you follow Arsenal you might want to tune in to Athletic Bilbao vs Valladolid (just kicked off) 1/2

Have on good authority that the Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera is wanted by Arsenal 2/2

I want to see the player, get out of the car at Arsenal's training ground, walk into the club base, walk out with Wenger and put on the Jersey in front of the waiting press until I believe it. Rumours have all failed so far.

This guy is speaking the truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

I wouldn't blame Ivan at all, I think what he said was true and was his own way of putting pressure on Wenger to do what was needed.

That is pure speculation.

They are in this together, he made those comments to placate the fans knowing fully well that Arsene being the media wizard he is will give us a million reasons why we should be thankful that we have consistently qualified for the CL.

Sorry I am not buying that crap. Please let us reflect on how Liverpool has fought tooth and nail to keep Suarez from a Rival. They will be happy to sell Suarez to Real M for 30 million rather see him at Arsenal for 60 million- bad business but excellent long term strategic thinking.

I don't know how and why we are burying our heads in the sand - Gustavo preferred to go to Wolfsburg rather than play for Arsenal- Disturbing!

Like Button said earlier, the only reason why teams have not come for any player at Arsenal is because we don't have any notable world class player at the moment. If this carries on, Kos, Wilshire, Carzola and Theo will be targets next season and I genuinely will not blame them if they opt to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Of the current team:

Walcott, Rosicky, Kos, Arteta, Giroud, Cazorla, Poldi and Wilshere.

I love Ramsay but he is the new Ray Parlour of Arsenal. He is our Cardiff pele. He is merely a useful squad player really.

Mertesacker is a brilliant defender... he's just too damn slow.
    Sagna is a solid defender who lays it all on the line... including his neck but he aint the modern day wingback. Lad can't cross.
    Jenks is still improving as is Gibbs.

That's it really, there the only players I think are Arsenal standard. The rest of them - No. (And Yes that includes Vermealen)

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

From @karlsentk

Good player. If I recall correctly, I vaguely remember him being my underrated player from the Spain team in the Euro U21. Fairly sure I said that in that tournaments thread. He's another CAM though.

If all the knocks and injuries stay then we have 2 goalkeepers, 2 defenders and 2 midfielders available for next Saturday :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Selective examples. What about Benayoun, Park, Santos?

Benayoun did very well whenever he was called upon. He was signed as back up and did his job, often with more commitment than the majority of the team. I'd have signed him full time if it werent for his wage demands being close to £100,000 p/w. For a squad player, that is way too much.

Park hardly kicked a ball for us. Not really enough to judge his ability. I still think the club signed him instead of Wenger, hence why he never played and often didnt even make the bench.

Santos I'll give you, but he did decent at the start, before he went off the deep end in terms of performances.

Point is, late signings dont automatically equal being bad signings. Two of our biggest players were late signings as said before.

What i meant was would Arteta or any of the signings we made that time of the trolley dash get in the team, I can't remember when we last genuinly signed a top top player

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

What i meant was would Arteta or any of the signings we made that time of the trolley dash get in the team, I can't remember when we last genuinly signed a top top player

Well seeing as we sold them all. I don't think so.

Right Wishlist time....

From France - Gonalons/Grenier/Valbuena (I love Valbuena, serious player).
    I would say the best young player there is Neal Maupay (17 - AMC)... but the lad has ruptured his cruciate.

From Spain - Kondogbia/Rami

From Italy - Davide Astori (Cagliari CB), Antonio Nocerino (A.C Milan - World Class CM).

From Germany - Gintner (CB) and any of Schalke's best players.

From Holland - Eriksen, Strootman.

From Russia - Keisuke Honda

Anddd that's it. Any of these lads would be great signings for Wenger and are IMO "top top quality".

I really cant think of who else would be available.

And why in the blue **** are we letting Liverpool go in for Willian unchallenged after all the hassle and disrespect they showed us on the whole suarez thing he's one of the best wingers that you will get and there going in for him unchallenged he's definitly someone who would fit perfectly in to our style as well

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Anybody else worried about the game on Wednesday night?

Yes - if we have a ref affected by the atmosphere - if we have injuries - if we lose an early goal - we thrive on confidence - we crumble when we lack it ... I'm very concerned especially with some of the players they have ... and I was before today ...

• Advertisement

ugsparky wrote: »
    Yes - if we have a ref affected by the atmosphere - if we have injuries - if we lose an early goal - we thrive on confidence - we crumble when we lack it ... I'm very concerned especially with some of the players they have ... and I was before today ...

I'm worried that if we get knocked out who the hell would want to come to us then?.

And you wanted the transfer talk put to the side this morning lol to concentrate on the match ....oh well o_O

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm worried that if we get knocked out who the hell would want to come to us then?.

Tbh there does not appear to be many knocking on the door as it is.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Tbh there does not appear to be many knocking on the door as it is.

Which shows how far we have fallen to attract the big players. Sad and it is heart breaking, that we are now seen as no go club cause our board and manager lack serious ambition to compete. We as fan's should take some of the blame for letting Wenger and the board take us for mugs for years. We should have been on their back two or three years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Look every arsenal fan has wanted arsenal to do well again under Wenger, but he has been his own worst enemy, he has had numerous chances to correct this for years but he has been stubborn and won't change his ways.

Going into the season with the squad the way it is was crazy, everyone could see it except Wenger, something has to change before we slip out of the top 4.

AW: "You got what you wanted, you should be happy. Before the start the season that was all you write in the papers so what do you expect?"

Confirmation to me he has lost the plot.

• Advertisement

This guy is speaking the truth.

attachment.php?attachmentid=50520&d=1315941247

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Look every arsenal fan has wanted arsenal to do well again under Wenger, but he has been his own worst enemy, he has had numerous chances to correct this for years but he has been stubborn and won't change his ways.

Going into the season with the squad the way it is was crazy, everyone could see it except Wenger, something has to change before we slip out of the top 4.

We will be nowhere near Top 4 with what we have at the moment.
    We would need to seriously strengthen.
    The problem is that the doubts will now set in with the team and performances will drop even more.
    The nutty professor has ruined the last 3 months and as a result probably our entire season.
    Really very angry with Wenger and Co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Are the funds actually there for Wenger?

I don't see why if any manager had money available, that he would use none of it.

As I have been saying for a while, I think this is wengers last year and he knows it, that's why he has been reluctant to spend the money, I just hope he doesn't leave us in too bad a state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Tranfers aside.
    That team today should have been and was more than capable of beating Aston Villa at home, so what else is wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Which shows how far we have fallen to attract the big players. Sad and it is heart breaking, that we are now seen as no go club cause our board and manager lack serious ambition to compete. We as fan's should take some of the blame for letting Wenger and the board take us for mugs for years. We should have been on their back two or three years ago.

Yes indeed. Over the past few weeks here on boards we have all been discussing the team and its inadequacies and what if we had injuries so soon, with a small bare bones of a team. Today was like slow motion, playing out our fears that have come to pass. Ok, its only one game, but until we have a solid squad its only going to get worse. I was on about a trolly dash the other day for bargains and that is what is needed now, just to keep us competitive IMO.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

You would swear the money was coming out of his own pocket he is that reluctant to spend it

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Dapics wrote: »
    Well seeing as we sold them all. I don't think so.

Right Wishlist time....

From France - Gonalons/Grenier/Valbuena (I love Valbuena, serious player).
    I would say the best young player there is Neal Maupay (17 - AMC)... but the lad has ruptured his cruciate.

From Spain - Kondogbia/Rami

From Italy - Davide Astori (Cagliari CB), Antonio Nocerino (A.C Milan - World Class CM).

From Germany - Gintner (CB) and any of Schalke's best players.

From Holland - Eriksen, Strootman.

From Russia - Keisuke Honda

Anddd that's it. Any of these lads would be great signings for Wenger and are IMO "top top quality".

I really cant think of who else would be available.

Okay, I promise this is the last time I'll crush your dreams :D

Strootman joined Roma.

Nocerino ISN'T WORLD CLASS! My head hurts trying to comprehend that he's anywhere near world class :P To use fellow countrymen as a comparison.. De Rossi and Pirlo are genuine world class players, former is x 5 the player Nocerino could ever dream of being and does his job and more.

Schalke's best player rejected Man City and Real Madrid, and will cost a minimum of €45M.

I had to Google who Maupay is and I'd dare say I'm one of the biggest followers of Ligue 1 here :p

Tranfers aside.
    That team today should have been and was more than capable of beating Aston Villa at home, so what else is wrong?

Tactics are completely wrong and have been for years. Look at United's first goal today, notice the number of attackers and defenders in the box. Watch Arsenal when they dominate possession (which they didn't particularly do today) and see how often similar happens. We're easy to play against.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

As I have been saying for a while, I think this is wengers last year and he knows it, that's why he has been reluctant to spend the money, I just hope he doesn't leave us in too bad a state.

How would it being his last year not encourage him to spend it all? Penny pinching is the kind of behaviour you'd expect from someone who had to stay on good terms with his superiors, not someone who has nothing to lose.

Yeah Nocerino is brainless i wouldn't want him anywhere near the place

SantryRed wrote: »
    Are the funds actually there for Wenger?

I don't see why if any manager had money available, that he would use none of it.

Its hard to fathom to be honest. I think there is probably money there but god only knows what stipulations that Stan and the Etonians have put in place.

That fan on the youtube video, i can sense his frustration and anger as i was absolutely livid at 5pm myself today and probably doing worse in my living room, but heaven help us sending these messages to that board consisting of heartless corporate Americans and Etonian snobs will serve no purpose only probably strengthen their resolve. They'll probably move us to Albuquerque out of spite

How would it being his last year not encourage him to spend it all? Penny pinching is the kind of behaviour you'd expect from someone who had to stay on good terms with his superiors, not someone who has nothing to lose.

Not really when you think he is a man who honours his contracts and has been there while the stadium was built etc.

He is never gonna go out and spend a load of money which could fail and leave the new manager with nothing to spend next season

Tranfers aside.

We lack leadership, lack a world class talent, a Top DM to cut out Villa's break outs, Poor GK, Defending wasn't a great as it should be. Ramsey looks a little lost without Arteta. Giroud even though he scored lacks threat and speed to cause any defence trouble, Walcott is so hit and miss it's crazy, Gibbs always gets injured, sending on a tired looking carzola and Pod to left back in the last two muntes and oh yeah dodgy ref.

Its hard to fathom to be honest. I think there is probably money there but god only knows what stipulations that Stan and the Etonians have put in place.

That fan on the youtube video, i can sense his frustration and anger as i was absolutely livid at 5pm myself today and probably doing worse in my living room, but heaven help us sending these messages to that board consisting of heartless corporate Americans and Etonian snobs will serve no purpose only probably strengthen their resolve. They'll probably move us to Albuquerque out of spite

I think Wenger doesn't want to spend. That's the honest truth. He really think's the squad is good enough to win EPL. Look at his press conferences after today's match, he's still as stubborn as ever blaming everyone else. He wants to prove you don't have to spend big to win leagues.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement