Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Looper007 wrote: »
    Giroud lacks threat and speed to cause any defence trouble,

Good point, his lack of pace at Premier League level is hilarious.

But I'd like to say he does get into excellent positions, loves the ball at his feet and can lay off a deft ball like very few players can.

I think he is a very good player.

I had just noticed he does love a looping header too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ugsparky wrote: »
    Yes - if we have a ref affected by the atmosphere - if we have injuries - if we lose an early goal - we thrive on confidence - we crumble when we lack it ... I'm very concerned especially with some of the players they have ... and I was before today ...

I wasn't looking forward to the game but after reading your post Im positively sh*tting myself :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

No leaders today, nobody stepped up. Disappointing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

TheGunns wrote: »
    No leaders today, nobody stepped up. Disappointing

Walcott even hid. Cowardly player.

I think Wenger doesn't want to spend. That's the honest truth. He really think's the squad is good enough to win EPL. Look at his press conferences after today's match, he's still as stubborn as ever blaming everyone else. He wants to prove you don't have to spend big to win leagues.

I rarely heard Ferguson ever admitting United were in the wrong either though to be honest. He would always have a bone to pick with either the ref or whoever. I dunno he spins all this to us but i just cant believe a football manager who signed the likes of Henry, and Sol Campbell in the past would not reinforce his team. There is just something not right about it. Since David Dein left the club there has been a different dynamic about it.

Walcott even hid. Cowardly player.

I thought Walcott had turned the corner but he was sh*te today. Ill wait and see how the season goes before i pass further judgement on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dapics View Post
    Well seeing as we sold them all. I don't think so.

Right Wishlist time....

From France - Gonalons/Grenier/Valbuena (I love Valbuena, serious player).
    I would say the best young player there is Neal Maupay (17 - AMC)... but the lad has ruptured his cruciate.

From Spain - Kondogbia/Rami

From Italy - Davide Astori (Cagliari CB), Antonio Nocerino (A.C Milan - World Class CM).

From Germany - Gintner (CB) and any of Schalke's best players.

From Holland - Eriksen, Strootman.

From Russia - Keisuke Honda

Anddd that's it. Any of these lads would be great signings for Wenger and are IMO "top top quality".

I really cant think of who else would be available.

Honda will almost certainly join Milan in January

Nocerino is in no way shape or form World Class. You'd be better off resigning Flamini.

Eriksen will stay at Ajax for another season.

Grenier will cost anything between £35-£40 million - if Wenger wouldn't pony up that kind of cash for Higuain, I can't see him splurging on Grenier.

Just watching on Football First, the lack of signings and the inevitable fans' reaction is bound to shoot the confidence of the 7 players we do actually have available. Gonna make it harder for new players to "bed in" with that in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Lads seriously is it Wenger or something else holding us back from signing players?

I just can't get my head around what's going on.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if Kronke, Gazildis and Co. actually attend games?
    If they do then surely the reaction of the crowd who made a mass exodus from the stadium and the booing of those who remained must warrant a reaction from them.
    If nothing happens soon then we are in dire straits.

Lads seriously is it Wenger or something else holding us back from signing players?

Again my point is that if it's something else and Wenger gives a **** about the club then he should be coming out and saying so. I've been saying it for a while and have yet to hear an argument other than "Wenger is great" in response.

Again my point is that if it's something else and Wenger gives a **** about the club then he should be coming out and saying so. I've been saying it for a while and have yet to hear an argument other than "Wenger is great" in response.

Ye true true, just can't understand what is happening to arsenal, its something I have never seen at any club.

Actually didn't this happen at Monaco when Wenger was in charge and he got the boot when they finished 13th...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah. Tis baffling.

Arteta being out was really unlucky and IMO a big factor in the result today.

But Wenger's had three windows and a bit over a year to find cover since Song left.

I think as well if all of this affects us, it affects the players. I know they're all professionals but give them a bit of confidence and ambition and you might see more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Has to be Wenger. He has been content for us to 'make do' with signings for the past five years. With the greatest of respect, the game has passed him by, in terms of tactics, player valuation and assessing weaknesses. If he joined PSG and was given the same level of control he enjoys at Arsenal, he wouldn't last two seasons.

Does anyone know of Kronke, Gazildis and Co. actually attend games?
    If they do then surely the reaction of the crowd who made a mass exodus from the stadium and the booing of those who remained must warrant a reaction from them.
    If nothing happens soon then we are in dire straits.

To them lads the only language that speaks is commercial deals. Both are pretty much corporate Americans (Gazidis is south african but cut his trade in the us) and i often think that corporate figures are a different specie to the rest of us.

Us fans see goals, 3 points and assists whereas they see share price rising and investment potential. The Etonians like Mr Chips or Hill-wood are no different. David Dein on the other hand is a self made millionaire who supported Arsenal as far back as 6 years old and learned his trade helping his father run a market stall. A real person running a real football club

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Has to be Wenger. He has been content for us to 'make do' with signings for the past five years. With the greatest of respect, the game has passed him by, in terms of tactics, player valuation and assessing weaknesses. If he joined PSG and was given the same level of control he enjoys at Arsenal, he wouldn't last two seasons.

That's because the PSG board expect to win.

The Arsenal board don't seem to have that particular "problem".

To them lads the only language that speaks is commercial deals. Both are pretty much corporate Americans (Gazidis is south african but cut his trade in the us) and i often think that corporate figures are a different specie to the rest of us.

Us fans see goals, 3 points and assists whereas they see share price rising and investment potential. The Etonians like Mr Chips or Hill-wood are no different. David Dein on the other hand is a self made millionaire who supported Arsenal as far back as 6 years old and learned his trade helping his father run a market stall. A real person running a real football club

Yes but do they attend games. Surely the crowd reaction has to have an effect of them if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I can't even get my head straight to post anything coherent.

This feels like the 8-2 again..

All completely and utterly avoidable.

Embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

According to Sagna's wife on Twitter, he's ok and resting. Something positive amidst the gloom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

According to Sagna's wife on Twitter, he's ok and resting. Something positive amidst the gloom.

According to my wife on twitter I'm a knarky d*ckhead tonight

• Advertisement

So will he be playing CB or RB next weekend? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

disappointing day but sure I think it was always on the cards. were in a tight spot now and I don't know who we can realistically bring in at this stage. panic buying is a risky business

sonic85 wrote: »
    disappointing day but sure I think it was always on the cards. were in a tight spot now and I don't know who we can realistically bring in at this stage. panic buying is a risky business

We had 90 days prior to this to do our business.
    Only one man to blame here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Indeed. He took a massive risk in January this year by only buying Monreal but got lucky. He's tried the same this summer but its already backfired on him.

Is shelvey still available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I thought Walcott had turned the corner but he was sh*te today. Ill wait and see how the season goes before i pass further judgement on him.

Walcott, you have to take the good with the bad with him, some games he's brilliant in some he's not. He's never going to be a world class player but just a very good one. When we are getting beat he's no where to be seen, when we are winning he's brilliant.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Is shelvey still available?

:pac::pac::pac: He looked very good for Swansea today/ Lambert scored today too. We might as well put a bid in. I can't see Lambert been pushed around by teams like Villa.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Indeed. He took a massive risk in January this year by only buying Monreal but got lucky. He's tried the same this summer but its already backfired on him.

I personally think he hasn't tried. All this talk of suarez and Higuian was all b.s to me. Smoke screen to put the fan's off the fact he don't want to spend.

totally agree.

personally I think arsene has let it go too far. theres not too many good players that would look at us as a viable option for a move at this moment. unless we throw stupid money around. and that's just not gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I personally think he hasn't tried. All this talk of suarez and Higuian was all b.s to me. Smoke screen to put the fan's off the fact he don't want to spend.

I meant he's tried the same risk. Stick with the same squad and try pick up some deadwood on deadline day. Its not going to work this time.

• Advertisement

I said 6 weeks ago should have just got higuan, but was told he wasn't good enough for the money been quoted and we are better off trying to get Suarez.

We were never gonna get either, all of us were taken for mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

What a misrable day to be an arsenal
    Fan. Every thing that could go wrong did.

I said 6 weeks ago should have just got higuan, but was told he wasn't good enough for the money been quoted and we are better off trying to get Suarez.

At the time I wasn't enamoured with the idea of Higuain because I thought maybe we could aim higher. Funny in retrospect :P

exactly. its been the same for the last few years - no conviction on the transfer front. if we really wanted higuain we could've got him but just ended up acting the bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

How many Arsenal players would get into the Spurs team now lads, 3 maybe 4??? How far we have fallen!

Ox out for 3 months confirmed.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    How many Arsenal players would get into the Spurs team now lads, 3 maybe 4??? How far we have fallen!

Depends on how blinded we are by the fact that players play for us. I still think the team is far less than the sum of its parts to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

No I think Higuain would be an Arsenal player now if Suarez and his mob hadn't turned up and said we could get him for £40 milion.

Awful result and performance but we will recover from this. We've done it before and we'll do it again.

greendom wrote: »
    No I think Higuain would be an Arsenal player now if Suarez and his mob hadn't turned up and said we could get him for £40 milion.

Awful result and performance but we will recover from this. We've done it before and we'll do it agsin.

Starters and bench for Wednesday? :D

• Advertisement

Begovic, Williams, Khedira, Michu.

That would cost around £70m altogether (15+10+20+25), leaving us with £110m still in the bank. The only drawback is that none of those players are former postmen from Ligue 2 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Starters and bench for Wednesday? :D

That's a tough one - do we even have 11 fit players ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Williams looked pretty woeful today.

He's not our world class saviour.

Mignolet won't be leaving Liverpool a few weeks after joining them.

Begovic would be a great buy.

cathalio11 wrote: »

I actually meant to say Begovic!

*Ninja edit*

cathalio11 wrote: »

A world class cb will set you back at least £30m+ this summer; look at how difficult Barca are finding it or how much PSG paid for a 19-year-old who played one season in Europe.

That's a tough one - do we even have 11 fit players ?
    We have 16 fit before the knocks to Gibbs, Sagna and Rosicky are taken into account.

Wojciech Szczesny
    Lukasz Fabianski

Bacary Sagna
    Per Mertesacker

Thomas Vermaelen
    Laurent Koscielny
    Nacho Monreal
    Carl Jenkinson
    Kieran Gibbs

Tomas Rosicky

Mikel Arteta
    Jack Wilshere
    Aaron Ramsey
    Santi Cazorla

Abou Diaby
    Emmanuel Frimpong

Ryo Miyaichi

Lukas Podolski
    Olivier Giroud
    Theo Walcott

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Yaya Sanogo
    Ju-Young Park
    Nicklas Bendtner

Time for someone to update the page on the official site and add some reserve players as first-teamers :pac:

• Advertisement

Awful result and performance but we will recover from this. We've done it before and we'll do it again.

Well how come when this happened me and numerous people said pool will never allow it but yet Wenger went for it?

Begovic, Williams, Khedira, Michu.

That would cost around £70m altogether (15+10+20+25), leaving us with £110m still in the bank. The only drawback is that none of those players are former postmen from Ligue 2 :(

If the desire was there these guys could be in place within two weeks. But there'll be more dithering.

Poor ox.

would a club like arsenal really aggressively pursue a player just on the players say so though? would the clubs legal team not be 100% clued up on suarezs position?

Mignolet, Williams, Khedira, Michu.

Ok Mignolet ill agree but I dunno is Williams what were looking for tbh. Very poor for RVPs first today. I fear Michu like Benteke could be a one season wonder. If he is that good why did a Spanish club let him go for 2m? Khedira at 20?....hmmmm maybe.

In a way i understand the frustration behind the 'postmen from ligue 2' comment. Its not so much we are supplementing a squad with them but we are heavily relying on them. You can have the likes of Kolo Toure who came from Asec Mimosa in the Ivory Coast but came into a good team and wasn't under the same scrutiny as the likes of poor Yaya Sanogo. Even Christophre Wreh excelled with good players around him back in 98

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Is it not Wenger's job to pick players he's interested in and the the businessmen's above him to do the deal?

If Wenger said he wanted Higuain, it's not really his fault if the club wouldn't stump up the cash or couldn't close the deal, just another way to look at it I suppose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement