Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Ok Mignolet ill agree but I dunno is Williams what were looking for tbh. Very poor for RVPs first today. I fear Michu like Benteke could be a one season wonder. If he is that good why did a Spanish club let him go for 2m? Khedira at 20?....hmmmm maybe.

In a way i understand the frustration behind the 'postmen from ligue 2' comment. Its not so much we are supplementing a squad with them but we are heavily relying on them. You can have the likes of Kolo Toure who came from Asec Mimosa in the Ivory Coast but came into a good team and wasn't under the same scrutiny as the likes of poor Yaya Sanogo. Even Christophre Wreh excelled with good players around him back in 98

To clarify, I did mean Begovic! Williams is gettable, PL experience and we'll spend crazy amounts on a world class alternative. I think Khedira is gettable due to arrival of Illarmendi and Casemiro + he needs gametime in a World Cup year. I don't think Benteke is gonna be a one season wonder; I think he'll move for huge money next summer. Michu has had two great seasons back-to-back and like 3/4 of my picks, has PL experience and will need less time to bed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Wenger has complete control over transfers. He decides how much we're willing to pay

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Is it not Wenger's job to pick players he's interested in and the the businessmen's above him to do the deal?

If Wenger said he wanted Higuain, it's not really his fault if the club wouldn't stump up the cash or couldn't close the deal, just another way to look at it I suppose.
    Wenger decides how much to bid. Or not as the evidence shows.

Worst case scenario here so bear with me: If continued lack of investment in next fortnight means Fenerbache knock us out and Spurs beat us, surely Wenger's position becomes untenable? He couldn't survive after that, could he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

I couldn't give a **** how much a player costs as long as it improves the team. Spend the ****ing money.

Fear not guys, if Wenger leaves there is always this guy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Worst case scenario here so bear with me: If continued lack of investment in next fortnight means Fenerbache knock us out and Spurs beat us, surely Wenger's position becomes untenable? He couldn't survive after that, could he?

There's no way he will be fired this year, it would be almost impossible to find a replacement until the summer at least.

I for one will reserve judgement until the transfer window closes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Gutted for the Ox, massive blow really.

Team for Wednesday?

Chez
    Ramsey Mert Jenks Frimpong
    Cazorla Wilshere Rosicky Poldolski
    Walcott Giroud

The defense is scary really, but offense not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

I've calmed down a bit now after seeing it - nothing went right for us but no excuses. Thought Niall Quinn's comments on SNF were interesting bearing in mind he himself was a Chairman and has seen both sides.

We must regroup now quickly - however I do fear that our confidence has taken a big knock - we should have had some kind of plan B ... but didn't because we had no back up players ... if a lesson is learned - brilliant ... if we learn nothing and think that we have enough quality - don't want to even consider that ... Wednesday could be tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

hell get the rest of the season at least. I cant see any scenario where he gets the heave ho mid season.

if it happens as you describe though the fans will go flipping mental

• Advertisement

To clarify, I did mean Begovic! Williams is gettable, PL experience and we'll spend crazy amounts on a world class alternative. I think Khedira is gettable due to arrival of Illarmendi and Casemiro + he needs gametime in a World Cup year. I don't think Benteke is gonna be a one season wonder; I think he'll move for huge money next summer. Michu has had two great seasons back-to-back and like 3/4 of my picks, has PL experience and will need less time to bed in.

We'd end up paying through the nose but id love Khedira. Not sure if Michu has the class were after. He faded badly second half of last season. I think Benteke is a pup. Another Adebayor in the making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Surely Sakho and Begovic would instantly improve Arsenal, wages might be high but two great players that are gettable and would give Arsenal a solidity at the back.

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Gutted for the Ox, massive blow really.

Team for Wednesday?

Chez
    Ramsey Mert Jenks Frimpong
    Cazorla Wilshere Rosicky Poldolski
    Walcott Giroud

The defense is scary really, but offense not bad.
    Kos isn't suspended for Wednesday is he? Thought it was next weekend he'd be missing. One of Gibbs and Sagna should be around as well.

ugsparky wrote: »
    I've calmed down a bit now after seeing it - nothing went right for us but no excuses. Thought Niall Quinn's comments on SNF were interesting bearing in mind he himself was a Chairman and has seen both sides.

Referee was poor at times but we could easily have been down to 10 for the first penalty.

mav79 wrote: »
    Surely Sakho and Begovic would instantly improve Arsenal, wages might be high but two great players that are gettable and would give Arsenal a solidity at the back.

I've heard Sakho is looking for guaranteed first team football though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Another great video from an arsenal fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

couldn't wenger bring bellerin into the squad anyway if sagna is out? thought hed be around anyway after the good reports he got last season.

well have to draft in a few reserves to make up numbers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

I've heard Sakho is looking for guaranteed first team football though.

I'd rate him higher than any Arsenal defenders at the moment, hell I'd rate him higher than most defenders in the premiership. The guy is a beast of a defender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont understand people who say they will reserve judgement till the end of the window, regardless of what happens between now and then, the season started today. Every point is critical and we're operating with a threadbare squad that would be laughable if it wasnt so serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

Jaafa wrote: »
    Another great video from an arsenal fan.

well bloody said by that Belgian guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Wenger has complete control over transfers. He decides how much we're willing to pay

Worst decision the board ever made. He's clearly out of date with the transfer market and will never pay big money for great players. Sad fact.

If anyone thinks Wenger is completely in charge of transfers for the past few years then I can't see how they can defend him in any way.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Worst decision the board ever made. He's clearly out of date with the transfer market and will never pay big money for great players. Sad fact.

How did you become an Arsenal fan incidentally? Not one positive comment from you this whole thread. I mean its hard to believe you are a recent follower given your clear high standards and yet anyone who has followed Arsenal in the past would at least acknowledge all Wenger has achieved. You cant achieve all this being a poor manager.

Wenger isnt perfect and may be stubborn but he is not as bad as some are making him out to be. He is dealing with bulls*itters similar to what we see in the Irish Government

How did you become an Arsenal fan incidentally? Not one positive comment from you this whole thread. I mean its hard to believe you are a recent follower given your clear high standards and yet anyone who has followed Arsenal in the past would at least acknowledge all Wenger has achieved. You cant achieve all this being a poor manager.

Wenger isnt perfect and may be stubborn but he is not as bad as some are making him out to be. He is dealing with bulls*itters similar to what we see in the Irish Government

So then it's the board and Wenger is going along with it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ah enough is enough, these are his players not performing, he has to take the blame or else come out with who is at fault.

David Dein who used negotiate and happened to be very good at it stepped down so it was solely up to Wenger from then on. Rather then getting in a director of football they brought in their 'major stars' through the boardroom. These so called 'stars' are brilliant to negotiate deals in Asia but when it comes to dealing with other football clubs they are so far out of their depth its pathetic

So then it's the board and Wenger is going along with it?

Wenger is a man of integrity who actually honours contracts and doesnt renege on them so he is complying with the policies set out by the drones in their blazers that run the club

Wenger is a man of integrity who actually honours contracts and doesnt renege on them so he is complying with the policies set out by the drones in their blazers that run the club

And has done so continually? I assume he'll step down at the end of the year then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Are you Joking???

I've been a Arsenal supporter for 23 years don't start with "You're not a Supporter" crap at me mate. I support Arsenal Football Club not Arsene Wenger. I go by what he's doing now and not live on the past like you seem to do. He's been complete rubbish and has turned the club I loved into a joke. He sell's off our best players and doesn't buy in top quality replacements. He lies to our fan's and is a stumbling block to us progressing

He has to go for me. 4th place isn't good enough anymore. He was good once now he's our downfall.

I want to see my team do well but the last two years we have become the laughing stock of English football. That's thank to Wenger.

• Advertisement

Ah enough is enough, these are his players not performing, he has to take the blame or else come out with who is at fault.

The same set of players finished very strongly last year. He has to take responsiblility for today's result but while the players were inexusably sh*te, i cant help feeling the summer has weighed every much as psychologically on them as much as it has on us. In the back end of last year they believed if they could sneak into the CL, that the club would spend money but that hasnt happened and it has had a further negative effect on the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Just home from the pub wasn't drinking so not a drunk post ;), but including myself there was three Arsenal fans out and we all got stick over the match today and never have I seen any of so despondent to the abuse heads went down and was like yeh were ****, normally there a bit of fight but at the moment theres nothing there to even argue with this and other summers have been a disaster.
    ugsparky wrote: »

What did Niall Quinn say?

I don't know all transfer dealings as we have heard time and time again are in his hands, and I believe it. You can't really defend our transfer dealings? How light our squad is and how we let it come to this?

Also regardless of all that the team on the pitch today should have beaten Villa today but we saw something that has become a very familiar sight in recent years with Arsenal at time chaotic no cohesion between players, tactics all wrong, no plan B no players on the bench who you think can come on and change the game because all we ever do is change like for like.

Whatever about speculation on who does what in transfers, on the pitch Wenger is responsible for what goes on. Why in the last two seasons has it taken for us to be out of all competitions with no hope of a trophy for our team to start fighting, why do they only begin to play when they have nothing left to play for. Like we saw against Bayern last year and Milan the year? That again falls on the manager.

The game today is long over by now I should be settling down but I just find myself asking more and more questions and getting more and more angry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I hate to say it lads but ive had a few drinks and had a good long think about it but in my heart I think we need a change some where. Whether it be the manager I dont know but something has to change, our club is better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

And has done so continually? I assume he'll step down at the end of the year then?

I think it's his last year, walk or pushed.

Are you Joking???

I've been a Arsenal supporter for 23 years don't start with "You're not a Supporter" crap at me mate.
    I support Arsenal Football Club not Arsene Wenger. I go by what he's doing now and not live on the past like you seem to do. He's been complete rubbish and has turned the club I loved into a joke. He sell's off our best players and doesn't buy in top quality replacements. He lies to our fan's and is a stumbling block to us progressing

He has to go for me. 4th place isn't good enough anymore. He was good once now he's our downfall.

I want to see my team do well but the last two years we have become the laughing stock of English football. That's thank to Wenger.

I've been an Arsenal supporter since 1990 myself and the point im trying to make to you is that how such a long term Arsenal fan could be so flippant and blatantly ignorant? You clearly have forgotten the last years of George Graham where we were lucky to sign 1 player a year and this was before the time of windows. Even the signing of Ian Wright signalled the end for Davy Rocastle and Michael Thomas. 2 and a half years earlier, both had been major players in the dramatic climax at Anfield.

How do you know how much control Wenger has over transfers? The fact that each loss proves to be a long saga would indicate that he is doing is best to keep them despite the massive pressure from the idiot board.

Who should manage Arsenal so? Bruce Rioch came in with lofty ambitions and was sacked after just one season. Terry Neill, Don Howe, Bertie Mee....all had to put up with immense crap and despite many great days were treated like sh*t by 'that board of much class'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Was over at the match today and not long in the door. Until Villa scored I thought we were going to win by 3 or 4.

Atmosphere at the ground was great. There was a great buzz. Talk was about us finishing 2nd or 3rd, concern about the transfer saga and concern about how we would cope with a few injuries at the same time.

The ground died after Villa scored. We just dropped our heads. We didn't play our normal passing game and I don't think I've seen as many long balls at The Emirates, or Highbury for that matter, as I did today.

Overall we were shocking. The boos at the end of the match had some real venom in them. If we play for the rest of the season like we did today we won't even finish in the top 6, maybe even top 10.

Terrible day, terrible result, terrible prospects.

There is only one thing that can turn this around and that is Mr Wenger. In Arsene we trust (fingers crossed)

patrickc wrote: »
    well bloody said by that Belgian guy

5 mins after the whistle when we are all at boiling point. These videos serve no purpose to be honest. Only vindicating the manipulative toffs on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Home wrecked

Ref royally fcuked us over

We rely in arteta too much

We need a playmaker more than a striker

In my opinion per is finished

Wenger didn't got off the bench for the last 10 mins was sad too see

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The sad thing is that we don't know how to spend money.

We have money to spend but we still want to be clever about it. The club were taken for a ride with Suarez - believed everything they were told about his contract and it influenced our ability to make deals with other players. I believe AW was confident of signing Suarez and let others pass him by as a result.

The club needs to learn how to make quick decisions. Get things done before issues arise. I don't mean do things hush hush - that doesn't work, other clubs are too eager to talk about our business - just get the business done quick and be expected to pay a little more to make certain.

I can't see any players coming in that will make a difference. I fear for Wednesday night.

In a year that we should have been capitalizing on the turmoil in other clubs, with a few quid behind us, we have turned a promising situation into a complete clusterfcuk.

This summer we should have been spending the transfer kitty for the next 2-3 summers. Make 3-4 class signings and make a statement. The kitty should have been 100m+ with no restrictions. Break transfer records, break wage records - make current players prove they deserve better wages to match the new boys.

Show some leadership for god's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

One last thing from talking today to some good people

Supposedly it's not wenger who is not spending money but it's Dick and Ivan who can't close the deals

Alot of frustration going on behind scenes and alot of unhappy people

True or not I don't no I tend to believe it though

Goodnight all will have some debate tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Many of the old school supporters have stopped going in the stadium, ticket prices & Wengers management being amongst the most quoted reasons.

Once crowds start to fall, given that most pro wenegrites are in a majority inside the stadium, the end of the Wenger era won't be far away, if the board give him a new contract, many fans will simply walk away from the club, AKA FC United of Manchester. Yes it's getting that bad!

The problems at Arsenal go much deeper than Wenger and his management, from Kroenke & Gazidis, supporter disenchantment, ticket prices, failure of the youth policy's and much more. Getting rid of Wenger won't stop the malaise.

Make no mistake, the current regime will sacrifice Wenger to save their own skins, however the fans know that the decline in fortune at Arsenal is down to more than one man.

Kroenke knows that if Wenger goes all the venom of the clubs support will then be directed towards him, he will avoid this situation for as long as possible!

Sure anything could happen between this and May i suppose. Either him or the board should go that ill agree but sadly i would say it will be him and yet the board are more guilty

Many of the old school supporters have stopped going in the stadium, ticket prices & Wengers management being amongst the most quoted reasons.

Once crowds start to fall, given that most pro wenegrites are in a majority inside the stadium, the end of the Wenger era won't be far away, if the board give him a new contract, many fans will simply walk away from the club, AKA FC United of Manchester. Yes it's getting that bad!

The problems at Arsenal go much deeper than Wenger and his management, from Kroenke & Gazidis, supporter disenchantment, ticket prices, failure of the youth policy's and much more. Getting rid of Wenger won't stop the malaise.

Make no mistake, the current regime will sacrifice Wenger to save their own skins, however the fans know that the decline in fortune at Arsenal is down to more than one man.

Kroenke knows that if Wenger goes all the venom of the clubs support will then be directed towards him, he will avoid this situation for as long as possible!

Some interesting points but what would you suggest as the solution? I think something has to give I'm sick to death of the secrecy from the club never ever have I seen a club be so mysterious in there dealings. From Wenger to the board there all like a well oiled machine everyone of them would make perfect politicians great at sidestepping questions, deflecting blame, promising the world but always failing to deliver. My patience for the way this club is ran is at an all time low or at least an equal to the United mauling.

One last thing from talking today to some good people

Supposedly it's not wenger who is not spending money but it's Dick and Ivan who can't close the deals

Alot of frustration going on behind scenes and alot of unhappy people

True or not I don't no I tend to believe it though

Goodnight all will have some debate tomorrow

Yep this +infinity.

Dick and Ivan are brilliant talking to sponsors as they dont have haggling or competition on their shoulders. Actual interaction with players is a mystery well beyond them.

Sure anything could happen between this and May i suppose. Either him or the board should go that ill agree but sadly i would say it will be him and yet the board are more guilty

I think there all as guilty as each other, they all cover for each other leaving fans confused. Confuse and deflect is there tactic so fans never know who to truly direct there anger at instead bicker amongst each other over who is to blame.

I've been an Arsenal supporter since 1990 myself and the point im trying to make to you is that how such a long term Arsenal fan could be so flippant and blatantly ignorant? You clearly have forgotten the last years of George Graham where we were lucky to sign 1 player a year and this was before the time of windows. Even the signing of Ian Wright signalled the end for Davy Rocastle and Michael Thomas. 2 and a half years earlier, both had been major players in the dramatic climax at Anfield.

How do you know how much control Wenger has over transfers? The fact that each loss proves to be a long saga would indicate that he is doing is best to keep them despite the massive pressure from the idiot board.

Who should manage Arsenal so? Bruce Rioch came in with lofty ambitions and was sacked after just one season. Terry Neill, Don Howe, Bertie Mee....all had to put up with immense crap and despite many great days were treated like sh*t by 'that board of much class'
    Such a load of rubbish looking back 20 years ago. The club has something like the 7th highest revenue of any club in the world. That's despite the crappy commercial deals apparently holding us back.
    As for Wenger not having power over transfers, if so then he has no integrity.

This right here. There was frustration among many fans even half a dozen years ago when tactics had gotten very stale. There were worries about the lack of youths coming through. None of those things have changed. There's a lot of problems that fans sitting over here won't notice until it's too late, locals will have noticed before while we've been somewhat isolated.

Which side of the line of integrity does lying and saying there's money to spend fall on? Assuming he's lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Some interesting points but what would you suggest as the solution? I think something has to give I'm sick to death of the secrecy from the club never ever have I seen a club be so mysterious in there dealings. From Wenger to the board there all like a well oiled machine everyone of them would make perfect politicians great at sidestepping questions, deflecting blame, promising the world but always failing to deliver. My patience for the way this club is ran is at an all time low or at least an equal to the United mauling.

Some of us have seen it all before, during the Neill and Howe eras for example :D

Just a matter of waiting for time to take it's course :pac:

One topic of discussion by the local dogs on the street is that a certain rival club in a nearby swamp seems to manage to spend considerable amounts of money recently during the transfer window whilst building a new stadium! :eek::eek:

Yet the Arsenal owners and directors have been claiming for the last decade to have no money despite building thousands of homes and property for profit? In addition to considerable income in increased gate receipts and sponsorship?

The truth is out there somewhere!:pac:

Which side of the line of integrity does lying and saying there's money to spend fall on? Assuming he's lying.

They are saying there is money to spend but what kind of stipulations have been put in place in all fairness?

• Advertisement

They are saying there is money to spend but what kind of stipulations have been put in place in all fairness?

I'm just trying to pin you down here to be honest. :P Do you think that Wenger is being prevented from spending money? If so then Wenger saying he has money to spend is at the very least equivocation and not exactly the actions of a man with integrity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement