Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

So I have a question.

Lets just say Wenger does go out and buys 3 or 4 players before the end of this window and come next may we finish in the top four.

Would we be happy with that?

Would we let Wenger stay another year?

Because its whats been happening year after year for several years now, slowly declining every season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

FearDark wrote: »
    So I have a question.

Lets just say Wenger does go out and buys 3 or 4 players before the end of this window and come next may we finish in the top four.

Because its whats been happening year after year for several years now, slowly declining every season.

Yeh see what happens every year as Arsenal fans and the reason he has been getting away with it is.......

Every season we start of shiit fans go mad rant and rave, then once were out of all competitions the team begin to get results show fight and generally put in good performances and when they don't they do well and grind out results.

Building all us fans up were by the end of the season were delighted to get Champions League football think were turning a corner and think sure give Wenger one more year he turned it around again and so begins the vicious cycle again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 817 ✭✭✭audman

Yeh see what happens every year as Arsenal fans and the reason he has been getting away with it is.......

Every season we start of shiit fans go mad rant and rave, then once were out of all competitions the team begin to get results show fight and generally put in good performances and when they don't they do well and grind out results.

Building all us fans up were by the end of the season were delighted to get Champions League football think were turning a corner and think sure give Wenger one more year he turned it around again and so begins the vicious cycle again.

Surely your DeLoreon can be out to use in some way to rectify your problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

So I have a question.

To answer that question fairly it would have to be known whether the players we get make our squad better the Utd, City and Chelsea.

How could say we underachieved if we finished 4th with the 4th best squad in the league. Not logical. Only way it would be underachievement is if the quality of players was good enough to get us on a par with those three (first XI wise at the very least)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Many of the old school supporters have stopped going in the stadium

Once crowds start to fall

I couldn't believe the number of empty seats today. First game of season, what was meant to be an easy 3 points and there were a good few empty seats. Some regulars missing from near us who would never miss a game in the past.

If the fans start to stay away, Gazidis and co will get nervy about spending money on transfers and higher wages !!!

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to pin you down here to be honest. :P Do you think that Wenger is being prevented from spending money? If so then Wenger saying he has money to spend is at the very least equivocation and not exactly the actions of a man with integrity.

Ok point taken but very few managers who have publicly criticised their employers have lasted and thats no matter how good they are

Ok point taken but very few managers who have publicly criticised their employers have lasted and thats no matter how good they are

Nah I don't buy that either Wenger knows only to well if with the amount of time he is at the club were he to come out and criticise the board the outcry would be massive and if they dared sack him over it there would be murder to pay. There all in cahoots with each other.

Nah I don't buy that either Wenger knows only to well if with the amount of time he is at the club were he to come out and criticise the board the outcry would be massive and if they dared sack him over it there would be murder to pay. There all in cahoots with each other.

Perhaps there is a certain amount of loyalty on Wengers part but i think he is a good man to be fair. Had his choice of clubs for a long time and lookng at the bollockology that is our club i wouldnt have blamed him for heading off a long time ago. The club has always operated this way before Wenger and probably will after him too. Its the upper echelons that have to be got shot of

But he's in the last year of his contract, he has more money than he could ever need, if he gives two ****s about the club and fans and is being held back by the board then he should be doing something about it publicly.

Perhaps there is a certain amount of loyalty on Wengers part but i think he is a good man to be fair. Had his choice of clubs for a long time and lookng at the bollockology that is our club i wouldnt have blamed him for heading off a long time ago. The club has always operated this way before Wenger and probably will after him too. Its the upper echelons that have to be got shot of

Also maybe but for the upper echelons to go currently that only means one thing Kroenke out and Usmanov in whether that be a good thing or not I'm not so sure.

Whther that is even possible right now I doubt it.

• Advertisement

But he's in the last year of his contract, he has more money than he could ever need, if he gives two ****s about the club and fans and is being held back by the board then he should be doing something about it publicly.

Thats not his style and besides, if he did do that you'd be surprised how quick the Arsenal public would turn on him even regardless of whether he was doing it for the good of the club

Its a road thats hard to go down really because once you do there is really no way back. Look at Clough at Derby all those years ago and to a lesser extent, Billy Davies first stint at Forest

Thats not his style and besides, if he did do that you'd be surprised how quick the Arsenal public would turn on him even regardless of whether he was doing it for the good of the club
    I doubt it. And if it's his last year why would he worry? I'm not too sure he can lose the public much more than he has.
    Its a road thats hard to go down really because once you do there is really no way back. Look at Clough at Derby all those years ago and to a lesser extent, Billy Davies first stint at Forest
    Again, he's in his last season of the current contract, he has nothing to lose except more money to sit in his bank account in a few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

dfbemt wrote: »
    what was meant to be an easy 3 points!

tbh I never took Villa as an easy 3 points home or away

Arsene imo is coming across as a bit paranoid in his post game conference.
    Same old talk about only buying players who good enough, yada, yada, yada.

"You got what you wanted, you should be happy," Wenger said to reporters in his post-match press conference. "Before the start the season that was all you write in the papers so what do you expect?"

Wenger, though, insisted today's 3-1 defeat was not down to a lack of summer investment.

"Could we have won the game with the players we had on the pitch? I say yes," he continued.

"If we don't spend the money, it is because we don't find the players.

"I am not the only one to work on that, we are a team that works on that and we are ready to buy the players if we find the players good enough for us.

"My job is to make the fans happy, but we haven't lost a game because of that (not spending).

"We take our work seriously and we analyse every player in the world and spend 24 hours a day doing that.

"We are ready to spend, but until we buy players we have to win football games and it is not an excuse not to win the game today."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-1-3-aston-villa-reaction-2180072

I do agree with him that our starting 11 should have been good enough to beat Villa so I cant understand why we didn't.

p.s. You can find his comments on the referee in the link. I'm not a great believer in blaming the ref for a whole teams piss poor performance so I couldnt stomach the garbage he was spouting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Talk about meltdown. The next 2 weeks in here are going to be fun!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So I have a question.

At this stage he has to win something. With a few good additions I felt we had the makings of as league winning team, obviously after yesterday's disaster I'll have to re evaluated that. If we are not in the top four and have silverware at a minimum at the end of the season then he should be replaced at this stage.

L'prof wrote: »
    Talk about meltdown. The next 2 weeks in here are going to be fun!!!

Just like the last 90 days have been ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

gandalf wrote: »
    Just like the last 90 days have been ;)

It's just been magnified with the loss.

L'prof wrote: »
    It's just been magnified with the loss.

It's the injuries that were worrying me more with the CL qualifier on Wednesday! If we fail at that hurdle then the struggle for fourth last season was for nothing. We lose on Wednesday then you'll have a complete melt down in here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

There is no blaming the ref, he should have sent
    off schez by the letter of the law, plus we should
    have never put him in that one on one situation, our defence was cut open so easy, no one in midfield gave any protection.

Gustavo would have slotted in nicely there but for 17 million he was too pricey, I blame the transfer market for our defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

One thing that the display showed me yesterday was how dedpendent we are on Arteta. He brings so much contol and composure to the midfield that it lifts our entire game

The club took a huge risk by starting the season with such a threadbare squad and it looks as though we may pay for that with a Champions league place.

Fulham will be tough next Saturday. It's a lunchtime kick-off and the players will only have returned from Turkey a couple of days before. We will need to have purchased at least 1 centre back and a defensive midfilder by then. It's going to be a tough ask though to throw new guys straight into the first team.

Wenger has a huge task on his hands for the next week. Maybe he should leave someone else to go out and do the deals so he can concentrate on rebuilding the team's confidence and working out how he's going to win in Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Gonalons is the only really obvious DM left, Id really love Wenger to go for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

off schez by the letter of the law, plus we should
    have never put him in that one on one situation, our defence was cut open so easy, no one in midfield gave any protection.

Gustavo would have slotted in nicely there but for 17 million he was too pricey, I blame the transfer market for our defeat.

Me too.

No decent cover for Arteta ruins the way we play.

Players have zero confidence on first day on season.

So are we actually down to 12 fit players on Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

TheGunns wrote: »
    Gonalons is the only really obvious DM left, Id really love Wenger to go for him

Nah, still quite a few if we pay up. I firmly believe Khedira and Bender are gettable, as is Kondogbia and Lassana Diarra.

So are we actually down to 12 fit players on Wednesday?

Outfield??

Jenk, Mert, Kos
    Rambo, Wilshire, Rosicky, Santi,
    Walcott, Giroud, Pod

Rosicky at LB and no subs?? :D:D

Hopefully Gibbs can play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    Outfield??

Jenk, Mert, Kos
    Rambo, Wilshire, Rosicky, Santi,
    Walcott, Giroud, Pod

Rosicky at LB and no subs?? :D:D

Hopefully Gibbs can play.

What about Ox and Sagna - any confirmation on how long they are likely to be out ?

greendom wrote: »
    What about Ox and Sagna - any confirmation on how long they are likely to be out ?

Ox 3 months I think, haven't heard with sagna but he wasn't able to turn his neck walking off the pitch so doesnt look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gus99

off schez by the letter of the law
    , plus we should

Not so, mate - the red card rule for denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity states that the attacker must be moving towards the opponent's goal. That is why when attackers round keepers and get taken down, you often see it punished with a yellow not a red (as the path of the ball is not towards the actual goalmouth).

Personally, when penalties are awarded, I think it should only ever be a red if a "certain" goal is prevented (e.g. hauling someone down to prevent them tapping the ball into an empty net) because if a penalty is awarded then the attacking team still has an obvious goal-scoring opportunity - but that's a whole different argument:)

• Advertisement

Gus99 wrote: »
    Not so, mate - the red card rule for denial of an obvious goal-scoring opportunity states that the attacker must be moving towards the opponent's goal. That is why when attackers round keepers and get taken down, you often see it punished with a yellow not a red (as the path of the ball is not towards the actual goalmouth).

Personally, when penalties are awarded, I think it should only ever be a red if a "certain" goal is prevented (e.g. hauling someone down to prevent them tapping the ball into an empty net) because if a penalty is awarded then the attacking team still has an obvious goal-scoring opportunity - but that's a whole different argument:)

Ok fair enough, but still can't keep blaming refs.

So looks like panic buy time has arrived again, lets hope we don't end up with more leeches on 4 year contracts who aren't up to the job.

Would love to know the advantage now in not doing our business early.

The Falcao rumour is back - top story on MARCA is saying he has been offered to Real (who rejected the offer), Chelsea and Utd for €45m.

http://www.marca.com/2013/08/18/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1376783429.html

If true, we would be foolish fools not to make a loan-to-buy offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Arsene imo is coming across as a bit paranoid in his post game conference.
    Same old talk about only buying players who good enough, yada, yada, yada.

p.s. You can find his comments on the referee in the link. I'm not a great believer in blaming the ref for a whole teams piss poor performance so I couldnt stomach the garbage he was spouting.

The ref was awful though, clearly out of his depth. He certainly didn't help us or the game. But we were off pace and looking out of our depth.

Wenger will spew a lot of crap over the next two weeks. He will buy one or two bargin basement French league players and say the talent isn't out there. The usual rubbish.

The Falcao rumour is back - top story on MARCA is saying he has been offered to Real (who rejected the offer), Chelsea and Utd for €45m.

http://www.marca.com/2013/08/18/futbol/equipos/real_madrid/1376783429.html

If true, we would be foolish fools not to make a loan-to-buy offer.

I'd love him at Arsenal but let's get real for a minute. He'd be looking at our situation and thinking "why the hell would I go there?" a manger who lacks the fight and ambition and a team so threadbare it's crazy. We are living in dream land thinking players of Falcao stature would come to Arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Surely we have a option to recall our loan players in a situation like this? I know they're not great options, but Djourou and Miquel are at least natural CBs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

keano_afc wrote: »
    Surely we have a option to recall our loan players in a situation like this? I know they're not great options, but Djourou and Miquel are at least natural CBs.

Gotta wonder wtf they were thinking letting so many go without some sort of replacements lined up. We literally have one fit and available centre back for the next PL match.

Are all these financial reports accurate? All the blogs and shît we have been reading saying we have loads of cash reserves. Are they educated guesses or are they accurate? Do we actually have fûcking money to spend? At this moment in time it kinda feels like asset stripping

jonny666 wrote: »
    Gotta wonder wtf they were thinking letting so many go without some sort of replacements lined up. We literally have one fit and available centre back for the next PL match.

Are all these financial reports accurate? All the blogs and shît we have been reading saying we have loads of cash reserves. Are they educated guesses or are they accurate? Do we actually have fûcking money to spend? At this moment in time it kinda feels like asset stripping

We will see over the next two weeks Jonny. He needs to spend nearly all of it to actually to make this team look fearsome. These two weeks will tells us a lot.

The predicament we find ourselves in gives me a headache. However im still adamant that Wenger is not to blame and that he is normally smart enough to realise that you do your business some way early. The policies outlined by the upper hierarchy of the club is what is holding Arsenal back.

What i cant understand is how is the likes of Emirates and Puma offering us such huge sponsorship deals when we are showing no sign of ambition.

Anyone got our record without Arteta in the team from last year?

I think the year before when he was partnered with Song, we played six, won one (at the end in the run in) without him.

I think the stat from last year might be the most damning thing with regard to Wenger in the transfer market.

We have no-one else with that unselfishness and maturity in midfield. Jack naturally turns and beats a guy, Ramsey slows it down. No one just 'gets and gives' and everything we do depends on that. I'd bet if you could find a stat for chances created for Walcott with Arteta out, it'd be very interesting.

So Wenger never got backup to him, then didn't get backup when he knew he was injured, then sent his players out - and you can be sure they know their win record without Arteta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Obviously we need to buy players.
    My concern is that (if we actually buy) we bring them in quite late. Unless they already are in Premier League, it will take them a while to adjust to what's happening. By the time they do. . . will we be chasing the others again. . .???

I guess my point is. . .same mistakes as the last couple of seasons. . . will they ever learn??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I think the year before when he was partnered with Song, we played six, won one (at the end in the run in) without him.

I think the stat from last year might be the most damning thing with regard to Wenger in the transfer market.

We have no-one else with that unselfishness and maturity in midfield. Jack naturally turns and beats a guy, Ramsey slows it down. No one just 'gets and gives' and everything we do depends on that. I'd bet if you could find a stat for chances created for Walcott with Arteta out, it'd be very interesting.

So Wenger never got backup to him, then didn't get backup when he knew he was injured, then sent his players out - and you can be sure they know their win record without Arteta.

Totally agree with this post, i dont understand why people want us to drop arteta if we bring in a central midfield player. Arteta is our MOST important player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Saw it yesterday, IIRC its something mad like 60% with him, 20% without him. Negligence was the word used here in the summer and its a very accurate description of the squad planning going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I think we're seeing wengers last season unless we out up a title challenge this season I think he won't renew his contract

I think we're seeing wengers last season unless we out up a title challenge this season I think he won't renew his contract

He shouldn't have any say in the decision at this point.

Good point, If the club has a bad season and Wenger gets a new contract there will be uproar from the fans.

Im blaming the board for this mess, Kronke or whoever should have put in some personal capital in the clubs transfer fund to keep us competitive.

Writing was on the wall when David Dein left.

All 3 are to blame wenger, Ivan, kronke

Lets see can they pull it out ye bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good point, If the club has a bad season and Wenger gets a new contract there will be uproar from the fans.

Im blaming the board for this mess, Kronke or whoever should have put in some personal capital in the clubs transfer fund to keep us competitive.

Writing was on the wall when David Dein left.

What would give you the impression that that scenario could ever play out? The status quo has been set with Kroenke for years now. It wont change.

The writing was on the wall when Wenger decided he was infallible. Were seeing the results of that now.

Who's the fella with the beard sitting on the Arsenal bench??? Saw him once or twice yesterday on d'telly

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2013/08/18/4194994/-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Just thinking, with the post limit, we usually have two or three threads a season. At this rate we'll be having about ten. Could easily end up with another new thread in early September.

Just a shame that it's 99% negative now which is a whole lot less inviting to read.

I'm not going to another game unless there is serious investment in the squad

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement