Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looper007 wrote: »
    Carzola and Wilshire are those guys, playing them in the wrong positions don't help.

Cazorla shouldn't have been anywhere near the pitch yesterday either, he was exhausted. Don't understand why a fully fit (I think?) Pod was not brought on at half time instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    We need a big overhaul, no doubt. There is clearly no real intention of that happening, as nothing happened in the last few months re transfers, bar getting rid of players. When I see how MU get a 4-1 result yesterday with a new manager and plenty left in the tank, I feel envious. Arsenal apart from some players appear insipid by comparison.

It's sad to see some fan's still defending Wenger. He's seriously dragged us down to the level's of Everton and Spures, instead making us into world beaters. He has us thinking 4th is good enough. His transfer dealings have been a disgrace. These next 2 weeks will make or break him.

Wenger will walk into a job anywhere else, PSG are desperate for him. In my opinion it would be our loss moreso than anyone elses if he leaves.

Rumored to be, it used to be every season there were clubs of Real Madrids caliber trying to lure Wenger them offers have dried up a lot in recent years for a reason.

He has to much power at Arsenal good manager but like the letter says a lot of the power should be taken away from him.

No other manager at any other club in football is given as much power as Wenger he pretty much has the run of the club and carte blanche to do as he pleases.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cazorla shouldn't have been anywhere near the pitch yesterday either, he was exhausted. Don't understand why a fully fit (I think?) Pod was not brought on at half time instead.

Poor guy looked tired, that shows are lack of depth you throw on a player who travelled back from Ecuador the day before. I don't think Wenger fancies Pod really, did you see the look on Pod's face when he came on yesterday to play LB. If looks could kill.

Wenger will walk into a job anywhere else, PSG are desperate for him. In my opinion it would be our loss moreso than anyone elses if he leaves.

But he won't get anywhere near the freedom he has with Arsenal. He know's that himself. Our loss? how so, do you think PSG would accept his non transfer dealings, no way and if he doesn't hit the ground running he be gone in a few months. He has it far too easy at Arsenal.

Rumored to be, it used to be every season there were clubs of Real Madrids caliber trying to lure Wenger them offers have dried up a lot in recent years for a reason.

He has to much power at Arsenal good manager but like the letter says a lot of the power should be taken away from him.

No other manager at any other club in football is given as much power as Wenger he pretty much has the run of the club and carte blanche to do as he pleases.

He's our club cancer and we won't get better until they get rid of him. He's got way too much power as you said. No manager should have that.

Another Arsenal fan TV video. If true about Gazidis wages it's a disgrace between him and Wenger they be taking up just under 10 million of our yearly wage bill, have they earned it?

Another Arsenal fan TV video. If true about Gazidis wages it's a disgrace between him and Wenger they be taking up just under 10 million of our yearly wage bill, have they earned it?

No. simple as.

But he won't get anywhere near the freedom he has with Arsenal. He know's that himself. Our loss? how so, do you think PSG would accept his non transfer dealings, no way and if he doesn't hit the ground running he be gone in a few months. He has it far too easy at Arsenal.

Guarantee you the next manager will have to put up with the same shít as Wenger. We seen the same thing in George Grahams latter days and many other managers have fallen on this sword. Until the board go, it'll be the same dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

I genuinely couldnt think of another manager in world football who could have transitioned the move to the Emirates whilst keeping us relatively competitive, albeit trophyless. not to mention all he has done for our club. He was,is and always will be the most important man in this clubs history. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but come the second of September, if things havent changed then ill lose my faith in the man, not yet not now.

Guarantee you the next manager will have to put up with the same shít as Wenger. We seen the same thing in George Grahams latter days and many other managers have fallen on this sword. Until the board go, it'll be the same dose.

We will get no big name managers if the club don't give them big transfer funds. So we're screwed either way.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I genuinely couldnt think of another manager in world football who could have transitioned the move to the Emirates whilst keeping us relatively competitive, albeit trophyless. not to mention all he has done for our club. He was,is and always will be the most important man in this clubs history. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but come the second of September, if things havent changed then ill lose my faith in the man, not yet not now.

For me lost faith in him at least two seasons ago. I think about here and now, he hasn't done anything in years. not good enough for a club like Arsenal. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Genuine question Lads , in your opinion is Wenger finished as a top class manager
    ?

Good question.

I'd love nothing more than to see Arsene manage the club without the financial constraints that he is or was under.

He's a world class manager imo, its just the fans are sick sh*t of the way the club has gone. I'm not just talking about the on field problems. But the pricing of season and match day tickets, the prices on food and drink in the stadium, the stadium itself (inside) is souless. There has been a huge disconnect between the fans and the club in the past 2-3 years but imo it started as soon as we moved to the Emirates stadium. The club left something behind at Highbury. Something very special.

Overly strict stewards (not their fault, they are acting on directions from the club), the ban on fans not being aloud to wave flags (I think international fags), the embarrassment of playing "The Wonder Of You" as the players enter the field. The half time guy who speaks over the PA system is too loud and spends 15 spouting sh*te. Bring back the marching band I say, That'll solve 87.3% of our problems. Though then again I enjoy traditions.

But why then are both the BSM and more importantly the AST saying Wenger has to much power over transfers etc?

I do agree and so will most he done a good job in the transition period but has he become to worried about figures? To used to penny pinching? Now that we finally have money is he not capable of making the hard decisions and splashing big money on a player. That power needs to be taken out of his hands altogether. September 2nd it could be to late we have five competitive games before then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Genuine question Lads , in your opinion is Wenger finished as a top class manager
    ?

I have no idea tbh. He seems to have decided that player recruitment is no longer part of management; it's baffling. If he continues as he has then yes, he's finished. If he decides to actually strenghten the side then he won't have these doubts or criticisms.

Good question.

I'd love nothing more than to see Arsene manage the club without the financial constraints that he is or was under.

He's a world class manager imo, its just the fans are sick sh*t of the way the club has gone. I'm not just talking about the on field problems. But the pricing of season and match day tickets, the prices on food and drink in the stadium, the stadium itself (inside) is souless. There has been a huge disconnect between the fans and the club in the past 2-3 years but imo it started as soon as we moved to the Emirates stadium. The club left something behind at Highbury. Something very special.

Overly strict stewards (not their fault, they are acting on directions from the club), the ban on fans not being aloud to wave flags (I think international fags), the embarrassment of playing "The Wonder Of You" as the players enter the field. The half time guy who speaks over the PA system is too loud and spends 15 spouting sh*te. Bring back the marching band I say, That'll solve 87.3% of our problems. Though then again I enjoy traditions.

I think the fan's wouldn't care if the money was spent on the squad. The prices are crazy when you see what we have done the last few years. It doesn't feel like a big club anymore but the greedy board want to ask fans to splash out like we are Man utd or Chelsea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

AVB and Sp***rs seem to be spending serious money on transfers whilst building a new stadium in the swamp, in stark contrast to Wenger and the Arsenal board pleading poverty for the last decade whilst fleecing supporters :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Anyway time to dust ourselfs down and get behind the team on Wednesday.

• Advertisement

I think the fan's wouldn't care if the money was spent on the squad. The prices are crazy when you see what we have done the last few years. It doesn't feel like a big club anymore but the greedy board want to ask fans to splash out like we are Man utd or Chelsea.

I suppose when you boil it down the fans only want for Arsenal to compete with the best again.

And to be honest, i'd be very happy with that myself

Anyway time to dust ourselfs down and get behind the team on Wednesday.

I'm just not as excited for it sadly. Going to Turkey with an injury struck thread bare squad, isn't going to fill you with much confindence

I'm just not as excited for it sadly. Going to Turkey with an injury struck thread bare squad, isn't going to fill you with much confindence

I still gets excited about every arsenal game

Things are rough at the moment but it's still our club

And a massive game coming up

Can't help but be excited

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yup, I love me some midweek football.

Get out of Turkey with a draw would be good.

I be watching for sure and hopefully we win but this team has a lot of problems. But sadly the whole non transfer thing has overshadowed everything.

• Advertisement

The whole season struggling for 4th again is getting weary now. Plus our manager/Board's lack of any ambition. Has just wore me down :(.

The whole season struggling for 4th again is getting weary now. Plus our manager/Board's lack of any ambition. Has just wore me down :(.

As bad as everything is

We're one game in ONE

Lets not get carried away with the struggling for 4th just yet

Fully agree, tottenham fans would love to be watching their team play out in Turkey on wednesday night! even liverpool instead of being in the second round of the league cup.

Fully agree, tottenham fans would love to be watching their team play out in Turkey on wednesday night! even liverpool instead of being in the second round of the league cup.

Liverpool fans are the funniest the abuse I got yesterday was non stop. From Suarez to how there gonna finish ahead of us to been a bigger club

Text after text after text

Pass the time while traveling mind

Think they forgot yesterday was the first day of the season not last

As bad as everything is

We're one game in ONE

Lets not get carried away with the struggling for 4th just yet

The loss isn't the issue for me anyway, a **** start to the season isn't really anything new beat Fulham and we're a point better off than we were after two games last year.

It's how thin the squad is that's the real kicker. Every hard tackle that went in from Villa yesterday made me cringe because I knew we literally have no back-up for some positions. Along with that really, everything that could have went wrong did. As ****e as the performance was there was a tonne of bad luck involved too.

On a tiny tiny plus, even though Spurs just picked up 3 points they looked pretty toothless without Bale and their midfield was outplayed by Crystal Palace. They even managed to make Chamakh look like a bit of a threat today :pac: Small to no consolation I know but hey, I'm clutching at straws here.

• Advertisement

Liverpool fans are the funniest the abuse I got yesterday was non stop. From Suarez to how there gonna finish ahead of us to been a bigger club

Text after text after text

Pass the time while traveling mind

Think they forgot yesterday was the first day of the season not last

stop, agreed i cant stand the pool fans lol they were telling me they wouldnt like to be playing catch up already, like get real lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

the fact is, pool with suarez and sprus with bale are much better teams on paper than us currently. both of their squads are also obviously, a lot deeper

if i was suarez i wouldn't even want to come to arsenal at the minute

shameful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

stop, agreed i cant stand the pool fans lol they were telling me they wouldnt like to be playing catch up already, like get real lol

The vast majority of Liverpool fans have nothing but respect for Arsenal as a club which says alot considering we are rivals for 4th spot (heres hoping anyways).

This is compared to the contempt we hold for United and Chelsea.

What you seem to be talking about are mates who probably enjoy seeing opposition lose rather than seeing Liverpool actually win.

Most Liverpool fans I know feel quite sympathetic to your plight, broken promises from owners, lack of investment etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Yesterday was one of those days for ye. 9 times out of 10 you score the early first goal and it's a comfortable win but Koscielny made a rare mistake and gifted Villa a way into the game. Gibbs getting injured was another big blow and then it piled on. Rosicky's miss at the start of the 2nd half was criminal and a possible turning point in the game. I thought Giroud was fantastic for the entire game and Chamberlain shouldn't have been taken off. The ref was insanely bad. Sure United lost on the first day last season and finished top by a mile. If Arsene brings in a good DM and cover for the back 4 then you'll do well. I think your first 11 is very good but no water carrier in midfield really is a big problem.

darego wrote: »
    the fact is, pool with suarez and sprus with bale are much better teams on paper than us currently. both of their squads are also obviously, a lot deeper

shameful

No I don't agree with Liverpool being better than us on paper or even close to it in all honesty. Spurs sadly probably true.

Although I do feel dirty had Spurs in LMS was still hoping they would loose watching the game though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

just saw a replay of sagna`s fall,he was lucky he didnt break his neck-oouch

Liam O wrote: »
    Yesterday was one of those days for ye. 9 times out of 10 you score the early first goal and it's a comfortable win but Koscielny made a rare mistake and gifted Villa a way into the game. Gibbs getting injured was another big blow and then it piled on. Rosicky's miss at the start of the 2nd half was criminal and a possible turning point in the game. I thought Giroud was fantastic for the entire game and Chamberlain shouldn't have been taken off. The ref was insanely bad. Sure United lost on the first day last season and finished top by a mile. If Arsene brings in a good DM and cover for the back 4 then you'll do well. I think your first 11 is very good but no water carrier in midfield really is a big problem.

I pretty much agree with everything you just said, just a side not Chamberlain went off injured and is now likely to be out for at least 3 months.

I do like our starting eleven a could accept the defeat yesterday but the lack of squad depth or signings this summer is unforgivable.

One thing we can't blame wenger for is having our 3 LBs injured at the same time

Now that's some luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

He's our club cancer and we won't get better until they get rid of him. He's got way too much power as you said. No manager should have that.

Easy to see how you got your name anyway.

Chamberlain played well alright but had to come off due to injury. He's out for 3 months now apparently. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

darego wrote: »

shameful

Our current first 11 got more points than Liverpool last season and they haven't strengthened hugely over the summer, no way their team is better on paper.

I pretty much agree with everything you just said, just a side not Chamberlain went off injured and is now likely to be out for at least 3 months.

I do like our starting eleven a could accept the defeat yesterday but the lack of squad depth or signings this summer is unforgivable.

When I left my seat yesterday

Ramsey was CB
    Podolski was LB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Wow didn't realise Chamberlain was injured, that's rough.

Yeah squad depth is a problem. I'd say it's difficult to convince a player to come in based on the fact they'll be 2nd or 3rd choice all season though. 2 or 3 players short at the back is pretty unforgiveable though I guess alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

Hopefully the players aren't as worn down as you!

When I left my seat yesterday

Ramsey was CB
    Podolski was LB

Exactly and that for me is what is driving me nuts its the second time the club have left themselves in this situation, they had all summer. Podolski gets enough stick for not tracking back all the time, Wenger might aswell have asked some fan to boot up and put him on at LB for all the good Podolski would do there.
    Wow didn't realise Chamberlain was injured, that's rough.

Yeah squad depth is a problem. I'd say it's difficult to convince a player to come in based on the fact they'll be 2nd or 3rd choice all season though. 2 or 3 players short at the back is pretty unforgiveable though I guess alright.

Yeh was really hoping this would be the season when Chamberlain really broke though and made his mark. Hard luck on the lad.

But see I don't think we should be signing players to be back up but sign quality players and tell everyone in the squad places are up for grabs earn it. But yeh unforgivable up front were very light aswell, and no recognised back up for Arteta since we loaned out Coquelin and never replaced Song which we were told would happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Come on wednesday to fcuk. Kids out of the room, cold beer in hand and non stop shouting at the tv for 90 minutes.
    My brain is fried trying to figure out Wenger/transfers/board/money blah blah blah

The players are not to blame for any of this so lets get right behind them. BOOM, cant wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Not so sure Wenger is the problem at the moment, although I'm sure people here have been able to monitor the situation a lot closer than I have.

For me, it seems to be more to do with the incompetence of the board, or just their unwillingness to actually see the club as anything other than a business.

Do people believe the likes of Laudrup would be able to do a better job than Wenger with this squad? I'm not so sure. Take the last 20 games played in the Premier League from yesterday and last season, and Arsenal are right up there either second or third. People still moan about downgrading Rafa to Hodgson when Liverpool's board, and the club as a whole, was in turmoil and it certainly didn't help matters in the long run. Although the current board situation at Arsenal is something that Liverpool seems to be modelling more so now than then.

Understandable that people are worried, especially after yesterday and with injuries and such, but I'm not so sure that there is a need to panic.

A striker (although I struggle to think of who now) and defender, maybe a Sakho or Alderweireld, and I certainly feel the Arsenal squad is good enough to challenge for more than just 4th place this season.

As a Liverpool fan however, I'm hoping that doesn't happen for obvious reasons!

Anyway, tl;dr version: I feel board is more of an issue than Wenger. Positive net spend will only see you slide backwards, and there's only so long Wenger can stop that tide imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

AdamD wrote: »
    Our current first 11 got more points than Liverpool last season and they haven't strengthened hugely over the summer, no way their team is better on paper.

who from teh arsenal team would get into the lievrpool team and who from liverpool would get into the arsenal team

fact is liverpool have a better first team

Paulegend wrote: »
    who from teh arsenal team would get into the lievrpool team and who from liverpool would get into the arsenal team

fact is liverpool have a better first team

Alright no bother go away with these stupid debates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Alright no bother go away with these stupid debates

He's in the Liverpool thread atm saying how the likes of Steve Bruce and McLeish are greats of the game.

Stay safe in the knowledge that the majority of Liverpool fans know we are short a few signings in getting to and past Arsenal's level, while hoping Arsenal's squad stays standstill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement