Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Can't believe ye didn't sign Higuain :P

Love the reaction to the goal from the commentator. "Ohhhhh baby!!!!" ha ha ha. Its the stuff of Timmy McCarthy the basketball commentator

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

gosplan wrote: »
    I think mentally, we are nowhere near where we should be. That's what happens when you start the season with fear and ambiguity rather than a clear sense of purpose.

I think

Agreed, I think both the fans and players feeling anxious about the lack of investment in the squad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

danlen wrote: »
    Come off it. That's just a ridiculous statement. Are you really saying that AW doesn't care about this club?

I didn't say he doesn't care about the club. I'm saying he cares more about getting into it [scraping intp top 4] than he does about winning it, or winning anything for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Can't believe ye didn't sign Higuain :P

we're pissed off enough as it is without seeing this.

darego wrote: »
    we're pissed off enough as it is without seeing this.

You do realise thats his brotherFrederico dont you? Plays for Columbus Crew in the MLS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

FearDark wrote: »
    I didn't say he doesn't care about the club. I'm saying he cares more about getting into it [scraping intp top 4] than he does about winning it, or winning anything for that matter.

Absolute pure 100% unalderated rubbish !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

You do realise thats his brotherFrederico dont you? Plays for Columbus Crew in the MLS

no i didn't.. lol :D still, any reference to higuain or anyone else we missed out on this window pisses me off :(

Not looking forward to the abuse in work tomorrow. Smug united fans mostly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can anyone really come up with a genuine reason why we didn't sign anyone of note to date?

A real genuine reason now not the we bid 40 million for Suarez shyte that keeps being posted. That was a non-runner from the start and even then when Henry came out and said we won't be selling to a rival we didn't chase any other player and actually make a bid for them.

The Higuain and Suarez chase was a smokescreen for the fans in my opinion to make them believe we were actually in the market when we weren't. Even at that we didn't strengthen in other areas of the team. I can't understand why or who is at fault.

So a genuine good reason lads please because it certainly has me beat..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Wenger says they are trying 24 hours a day to sign players "buy, buy, buy, but who?" he said, or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

FearDark wrote: »

It's not that he doesn't love the club, it's just his lack of ambition to bring Arsenal back to the top that I find baffling. He's got himself into this, he's in total denial at the reason the press bring up the transfer question, any sane person knows the team isn't good enough yet he makes statements like "We will win the League" even Stevie Wonder could see that's a complete joke.

If he went all out and bought in 5 to 6 top signings in the next 2 weeks, he'd have all the pressure of him. But the truth is he won't and he will bring in the usual bargin buys and French League signings.

It's not that he doesn't care but he's got lazy.

Wenger says they are trying 24 hours a day to sign players "buy, buy, buy, but who?" he said, or something along those lines.

Did he really say that?
    I can't believe he was serious about that comment. Wenger was the one we were told watched football non-stop and knew every player worth knowing. He always had great scouts too although we are not seeing any benefits from scouting in recent years.

Still can't explain why we haven't signed anyone yet though.

That's why anti- Wenger guys like me want him out. Stupid anal answers like that just drive you up the wall. How a big club manager says something like that and still has a job is beyond me.

He should have scouts given him info, his own list on players and get his board and himself after Wednesday on the phone 24/7 and make sure he gets in the signings. These two weeks are make or break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

United haven't signed anyone either.

Cause he doesn't want to spend over the odds on top players. If he was offered Messi, Xavi and Inesta for 80 million. He try to knock it down to 40 million. He's just that type of manager. He's not a patch on Ferguson who would have gone out and got what he needed, no bull**** quotes or bitching over a few quid. He got his players he needed and goes on to win leagues.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »

Still the best team in the premiership. Welbeck, Van Persie and Rooney and we got .... Giroud.

enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Looper007 wrote: »
    Cause he doesn't want to spend over the odds on top players. If he was offered Messi, Xavi and Inesta for 80 million. He try to knock it down to 40 million. He's just that type of manager. He's not a patch on Ferguson who would have gone out and got what he needed, no bull**** quotes or bitching over a few quid. He got his players he needed and goes on to win leagues.

Alex "No value in the market" Ferguson? We talking bout the same guy? :P

The head scout Steve Rowley is still regarded as one of the best.

Anyhow if we beat Fulham on Saturday we'll have more points than this time last season :-) woo hoo

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Not looking forward to the abuse in work tomorrow. Smug united fans mostly

Try and live with an house full of them :pac:, but they have every right to be cocky really. We'd be the same if we were winning league after league title.

Did he really say that?
    I can't believe he was serious about that comment. Wenger was the one we were told watched football non-stop and knew every player worth knowing. He always had great scouts too although we are not seeing any benefits from scouting in recent years.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/17/arsene-wenger-arsenal-aston-villa
    Wenger insists signings remain on the agenda but continues to argue that it is fiendishly difficult to complete deals. "We are there to spend money," he said. "People say: 'Buy players, buy players, buy players … ' But who? We analyse every single player in the world and work 24 hours a day for that. We are serious about it. Until we buy players we have to win football games."

• Advertisement

Alex "No value in the market" Ferguson? We talking bout the same guy? :P

Haha but he spends his money wisely... Van Persie, Jones, Vidic, Evra, De Gea, Valencia, Carrick, Ferdinand, Smalling. That's some team and bought wisely. Ferguson waffled some crap but he proved himself that when it was needed he spent on quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

The Higuain and Suarez chase was a smokescreen for the fans in my opinion to make them believe we were actually in the market when we weren't. Even at that we didn't strengthen in other areas of the team. I can't understand why or who is at fault.

So a genuine good reason lads please because it certainly has me beat..

I honestly think that we were in for both tbh. Higuain seemed like the no.1 target and the deal seemed to be done. AFAIK Madrid upped the price at the last minute and we refused to their demands. Usually that would be standard but looking back, considering how much we needed him, it's hard to understand why we didn;t just throw the extra 8m at them.

I think as that deal started to fail we turned to Suarez. In fairness, he claimed he wanted out (which I'm sure Arsenal were aware of before any of it came out publicly). To say that that deal would never happen is unfair. If I were at Arsenal trying to make a deal for Suarez I would have been confident that we could get him at £40m. That's a BIG offer for someone who came out with all the ****e he did.

To me, there were two problems the club could not have foreseen. 1) The Cavani and Falcao deals by the big money men in France (£55m a pop) completely distorted Liverpools view of the going rate for a top striker. 2) Liverpools strong stance with the player. As has been discussed already, the approach they took with a player who publicly stated he wanted to go is one that is quite the opposite to what usually happens in these situations. Usually the club just cuts their losses.

BTW, these are NOT excuses for the club but simply why I believe that we were in for both players at one time or another. (I think I have to believe that for my own sanity too!)

Ferguson probably would have had nothing to do with any transfer negotiations tbh though. Maybe that's the problem with us though.

They are in a far better place then us now in fairness. Our current set of players finished very strong last year and from that i got the sense they might push on this year aided by new signings but of course they have had to endure an off season of non activity. Its very disheartening to us and probably to them too.

I don't know why ye didn't sign Higuain. He would destroy most defences and put a genuine world class player into the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I don't know why ye didn't sign Higuain. He would destroy most defences and put a genuine world class player into the team.

I tried saying this at the time but was told he wasn't worth what Madrid were asking for, seems wengers ideals has rubbed off on some of the fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Still the best team in the premiership. Welbeck, Van Persie and Rooney and we got .... Giroud.

enough said.

I really don't understand your ongoing criticism with Giroud......in my opinion, he brings some great link up play to the team and I think he'll get his share of goals this year too.

Giroud shouldn't be scapegoated.

I really don't understand your ongoing criticism with Giroud......in my opinion, he brings some great link up play to the team and I think he'll get his share of goals this year too.

Yesterday wasn't Giroud's fault. He has to rely on the likes of Walcott and Sagna to supply crosses and that was dire yesterday. I would criticize Walcott long before i'd blame Giroud. He doesn't hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Yesterday wasn't Giroud's fault. He has to rely on the likes of Walcott and Sagna to supply crosses and that was dire yesterday. I would criticize Walcott long before i'd blame Giroud. He doesn't hide.

Giroud was fouled every time the ball came into him too and there was never a free given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Saying Wenger lacks ambition is unfair.

gosplan wrote: »
    Saying Wenger lacks ambition is unfair.

Well it's either that or he lacks the ability to spend money.
    Has to be one of them. We are told he spends all his time watching videos of games and spotting talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Now I'm not saying I want Osvaldo but it's crazy to think Southampton have gone out and signed a player who scored 15 goals in 24 games in Serie A last year for 17 million beating our transfer record yet were still not capable of signing a single player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Giroud got a goal, should have had 2 assists if Rosicky wasn't terrible at finishing and threatened a lot more. I don't understand why nobody runs off him in the box as a lot of the balls played towards him are behind him and he can only flick it on. With nobody else in there it is such a waste. I think playing Walcott off him would be the way to go but then you'd need a new winger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Well it's either that or he lacks the ability to spend money.
    Has to be one of them. We are told he spends all his time watching videos of games and spotting talent.

Yeah he likes to window shop..... it costs nothing:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,412 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Now I'm not saying I want Osvaldo but it's crazy to think Southampton have gone out and signed a player who scored 15 goals in 24 games in Serie A last year for 17 million beating our transfer record yet were still not capable of signing a single player.

Wanyama could have been decent cover for midfield too imo. Only cost them 12m.

Would rather we sign better than what we have of course but the likes of those guys would have given decent depth without breaking the bank.

Nina Bracewell Smith just said what a shame the board recommended Kroenke and she regrets selling her shares, a bit fcuking late now.

Raf32 wrote: »
    I genuinely couldnt think of another manager in world football who could have transitioned the move to the Emirates whilst keeping us relatively competitive, albeit trophyless. not to mention all he has done for our club. He was,is and always will be the most important man in this clubs history. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt but come the second of September, if things havent changed then ill lose my faith in the man, not yet not now.
    I still don't get this attitude. He did a good, consistent job but until Abramovich Arsenal had the second-highest wage bill in the PL and until City we had the 3rd highest. There was no real reason to drop out of the top 4.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Yesterday was one of those days for ye. 9 times out of 10 you score the early first goal and it's a comfortable win but Koscielny made a rare mistake and gifted Villa a way into the game.
    Have you watched Arsenal before? :pac:
    One thing we can't blame wenger for is having our 3 LBs injured at the same time

Now that's some luck
    Again, there's something wrong with the training methods or physio. The injuries we get are ****ing ridiculous.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Not so sure Wenger is the problem at the moment, although I'm sure people here have been able to monitor the situation a lot closer than I have.

For me, it seems to be more to do with the incompetence of the board, or just their unwillingness to actually see the club as anything other than a business.
    They must be playing the very long con if so, they've still taken no money out of the club. And once again, if Wenger gave a **** and his hands are tied he should be saying so.
    Do people believe the likes of Laudrup would be able to do a better job than Wenger with this squad? I'm not so sure. Take the last 20 games played in the Premier League from yesterday and last season, and Arsenal are right up there either second or third. People still moan about downgrading Rafa to Hodgson when Liverpool's board, and the club as a whole, was in turmoil and it certainly didn't help matters in the long run. Although the current board situation at Arsenal is something that Liverpool seems to be modelling more so now than then.
    Check the match threads from last season as well as the opposition. I didn't mind so much the tactics but there wasn't much skin left on our teeth towards the end of the season.
    Understandable that people are worried, especially after yesterday and with injuries and such, but I'm not so sure that there is a need to panic.

A striker (although I struggle to think of who now) and defender, maybe a Sakho or Alderweireld, and I certainly feel the Arsenal squad is good enough to challenge for more than just 4th place this season.

As a Liverpool fan however, I'm hoping that doesn't happen for obvious reasons!
    I'd be pretty sure some of this would apply to Liverpool a few years ago and the people "panicking" were told to calm down. Fans have been pissed off for a while, this isn't new.
    danlen wrote: »
    Come off it. That's just a ridiculous statement. Are you really saying that AW doesn't care about this club?
    If he does then he should've done something by now.
    Liam O wrote: »
    Giroud got a goal, should have had 2 assists if Rosicky wasn't terrible at finishing and threatened a lot more. I don't understand why nobody runs off him in the box as a lot of the balls played towards him are behind him and he can only flick it on. With nobody else in there it is such a waste. I think playing Walcott off him would be the way to go but then you'd need a new winger.
    Again, tactics. Not a new thing.

He's not good enough. This is Arsenal Football Club not Cardiff Everton or Swansea. He's a good rotation striker when you're main striker's need rest. Going into a big game with him up forward scares me. He misses to many easy chances and lacks pace to cause defences trouble. Sorry I think we deserve better. As I said before Wright, Anelka, Henry, Van Persie and ...Giroud :(. We shouldn't be accepting a solid hard working striker as a main frontman. I'm not trying to scapegoat the guy but his inclusion as our number 1 striker shows why we our in trouble right now. He's a good professional but no way should he be our main target man, Sorry I demand better at Arsenal.

SkySportsNews: Arsenal are in talks with two players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

He's not good enough. This is Arsenal Football Club not Cardiff Everton or Swansea. He's a good rotation striker when you're main striker's need rest. Going into a big game with him up forward scares me. He misses to many easy chances and lacks pace to cause defences trouble. Sorry I think we deserve better. As I said before Wright, Anelka, Henry, Van Persie and ...Giroud :(. We shouldn't be accepting a solid hard working striker as a main frontman. I'm not trying to scapegoat the guy but his inclusion as our number 1 striker shows why we our in trouble right now. He's a good professional but no way should he be our main target man, Sorry I demand better at Arsenal.

Van Persie, Anelka, Henry weren't ****ing world beaters as soon as they arrived. Stats wise Giroud did better than Drogba in his first season so not giving him more time than we gave Chamakh who initially looked decent is bonkers.

A hard working frontman isnt what you want? Yet you wanted us to sign Lambert along with Shelvey and Downing? They're the definition of bang average.

Going to have to start ignoring your posts, by far the worst of all the negative posters here all summer

• Advertisement

How many signings in the next two weeks would make you happy guys?

I think we need 6 ( A GK, CB,DM, LW, ST and a squad player)

But I be happy if we got A Top quality Striker, A DM, A GK and A CB by the end of the transfer window, but all of them have to be top quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Ideally:
    Begovic or Handovic
    Young talented CB
    DM or very very well rounded CM (big signing, blow the bank)
    Left winger
    Striker who improves on Giroud (lowest priority on my list)

No hope of the club signing more than 4 players imo

Jesus I just read that we are 20th out of 20 (last) in the transfer market this summer.
    Time to really get the finger out. I think we need to spend big to recover.
    No spend = no 4th.

http://www.betinf.com/england_transfer.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Beyond Suarez, what genuinely good strikers are available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Like Lambert? I'd rather play Bendtner, not joking. A better player, despite the bull**** and attitude.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NinaBracewell/status/369175423826927616

Lady Nina saying how she deeply regrets selling her shares to kroenke.

• Advertisement

Like Lambert? I'd rather play Bendtner, not joking. A better player, despite the bull**** and attitude.

Lambert isn't good enough, he'd make a good squad player. If Swansea and Southampton can splash money on good strikers why can't we.

No good saying it now, she did it and it's history.

Do you ever read the thread? I posted that as bout half an hour ago. ;):p

She also said bring back Dein and let Usmanov on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Why did David Dein leave the club lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well I certainly agree with her on bringing David Dein back he was instrumental in bringing in most of the big names who played for us in the past.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement