Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jonny666 wrote: »
    You shouldnt be so concerned with the price. Especially as an Arsenal fan. We have spend fcuk all the last few years. Who cares if we over spend by ten million this one time. We deserve it

If he was worth it, then yes. But he is already going to be missing the first 6 games of the season and his history firmly points to possible future bans. 40 million + 1 is already too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

If it goes pear shaped then we'll go back to square one in terms of reluctance to splash out and it could all easily end in tears with Suarez.

If we're going to pay that sort of money then it should be not just for a player with exceptional scoring rate but exceptional discipline too.

Who????

We could get Soldado alright but what if he doesnt work out? He's never played in premier league before. Thats 26million wasted on a player a few years older who isnt nearly as known as Suarez. Suarez is only 24. We could still sell him for loads in two years time. Even if he does get banned. He still played most of liverpools matches. He's never injured which is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Suarez is only 24.

He's 26

maximoose wrote: »
    He's 26

woops! Point still stands tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Back to the possibility that Spurs could overtake us next season. If we do land Suarez as it looks likely and Real do sell Higuain to Napoli then it is odds on that Madrid will move for Bale. Without Bale Spurs will be hard pressed to finish above seventh next year I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think theres an awful load of ****e been talked in the Liverpool thread in the last few days, especially about us and it being a sideways move...

Yes we haven't won anything in 8 years ..How long is it since liverpool even finished in the top 4, actually its 2 years outside the top 6 now, Sure in the 8 years they might have an FA cup or Carling Cup but they mean **** all to me, Its Premiership and Champions League rest don't mean much anymore imo

If anything Liverpool are only going to slide further behind, while we have the potential to push on and challenge for the title (w/suarez) , also Real Madrid outside of one League title under Mourinho have won **** all either

Arsenal would be a great move for little Luis and it looks like Higuain is gone so Arsenal hurry on and pay the **** up for him , Being a fan im not bothered how much we pay for him and rightly so, let the arsenal board worry about that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'd rather higuain over suarez for £50 million to be honest. The difference could buy us a very good DM.

gandalf wrote: »
    Back to the possibility that Spurs could overtake us next season. If we do land Suarez as it looks likely and Real do sell Higuain to Napoli then it is odds on that Madrid will move for Bale. Without Bale Spurs will be hard pressed to finish above seventh next year I reckon.

I don't think they will go back that far. Everton have lost Moyes, so Liverpool might overtake Everton but I don't see either of them troubling Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Disappointed the club haven't pushed for Higuain more tbh. Would be a better fit for the team and as mentioned even at £30-35m would leave more money for signings elsewhere.

I'm not entirely happy with how things are going but I'll leave it til the dust settles on 1st September before I start passing judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭Israeli Superiority

gandalf wrote: »

Would Bale go to Spain? It's not as if British-born and British-based players have adapted to the Spanish game very well in the past. If I was Bale, I'd stay put and hope United or Chelsea splash out the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Would Bale go to Spain? It's not as if British-born and British-based players have adapted to the Spanish game very well in the past. If I was Bale, I'd stay put and hope United or Chelsea splash out the cash.

For every Jonathan Woodgate and Michael Owen theres David Beckham and Steve Mcmanaman ...in my time anyway

Soups123 wrote: »
    You cannot put the most important reason for a striker to one side!

If he gets 30 goals a season then im ok with 50m

You can when he is banned for biting players for the second time and each side of these bans there was the Evra incident. I mean given the baggage is he worth anymore then what we offered? I firmly believe we offered enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

united to come back with a third bid for fabregas :mad:
    what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

For every Jonathan Woodgate and Michael Owen theres David Beckham and Steve Mcmanaman ...in my time anyway

Even Woodgate did well at Real once he got over his injuries which were a constant in England as well.

He was injured for his whole first season but then became the main central defender in the team with the other centre half rotating between various players.

I actually think english based players are more suited to the tempo of la liga than many other leagues, especially Italy.

BBC Sport wrote:
    Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers says striker Luis Suarez has been treated 'like a son' during his time at Anfield. Suarez, who wants to hold talks with Arsenal over a potential move to the London club, added: "He's very much a Liverpool player and over the course of the next couple of weeks we've got to get him up to speed.

"The support he has received from the supporters and the people of the city of Liverpool has been unrivalled. In this period of time he's missed a lot of games for the club through various reasons. The people have stood by him, like a son and really looked after him.

"Whatever happens in the coming weeks that will be in his mind because it's something you can never forget."

Hmmm. That almost sounds as if he's resigned to losing him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

So today Bale sat out with an injury, AVB refused to comment on his future, only his fitness, and Marca are saying it's a done deal. Hmmmmm.

Look, there are huge benefits for Arsenal if this goes through but aside from all of that Spurs will have handled it brilliantly. Levy seems to be very good at this stuff.

Say he's not for sale, sign the replacements: Chaldi & Paulhino, set up purchase of Soldado, then flog Bale to pay for it all with change. All on their terms.

Not ... say Fab and Nasri aren't for sale, leave it as long as possible, sell them and then be in a really tight spot as regards replacements a few weeks into the new season.

blingrhino wrote: »
    united to come back with a third bid for fabregas :mad:
    what do you think?

Whats the point in worrying about it TBH? If Wenger wants him bad enough sure he should bid for him and if he doesnt, he doesnt. I think he will more than likely stay at Barca for this season especially with a new manager after coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Pudders wrote: »
    Even Woodgate did well at Real once he got over his injuries which were a constant in England as well.

He was injured for his whole first season but then became the main central defender in the team with the other centre half rotating between various players.

Actually Owen didn't do too bad either, he was bought by Perez and was not wanted by Comacho(manager), so he spent most his time on the bench coming on as a sub mainly, scored 13 in 36 appearances. Always thought he got a rough deal at Madrid, it was probably the last time in his career that he wasn't blighted by injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I think theres an awful load of ****e been talked in the Liverpool thread in the last few days, especially about us and it being a sideways move...

Yes we haven't won anything in 8 years ..How long is it since liverpool even finished in the top 4, actually its 2 years outside the top 6 now, Sure in the 8 years they might have an FA cup or Carling Cup but they mean **** all to me, Its Premiership and Champions League rest don't mean much anymore imo

If anything Liverpool are only going to slide further behind, while we have the potential to push on and challenge for the title (w/suarez) , also Real Madrid outside of one League title under Mourinho have won **** all either

Arsenal would be a great move for little Luis and it looks like Higuain is gone so Arsenal hurry on and pay the **** up for him , Being a fan im not bothered how much we pay for him and rightly so, let the arsenal board worry about that

Grand, but in that 8 years, two months and...etc Liverpool have been in two Champions League finals, (a Europa League semi final), two FA Cup finals and a League Cup final, winning two trophies. Yes the in the Top 4 Cup Arsenal are kings of doing just enough recently but that's not so much to blow one trumpet about. Really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    So today Bale sat out with an injury, AVB refused to comment on his future, only his fitness, and Marca are saying it's a done deal. Hmmmmm.

Look, there are huge benefits for Arsenal if this goes through but aside from all of that Spurs will have handled it brilliantly. Levy seems to be very good at this stuff.

Say he's not for sale, sign the replacements: Chaldi & Paulhino, set up purchase of Soldado, then flog Bale to pay for it all with change. All on their terms.

Not ... say Fab and Nasri aren't for sale, leave it as long as possible, sell them and then be in a really tight spot as regards replacements a few weeks into the new season.

I think we learnt from that painful experience though. Last year we had Giroud, Poldi and Cazorla signed before RVP left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    Grand, but in that 8 years, two months and...etc Liverpool have been in two Champions League finals, (a Europa League semi final), two FA Cup finals and a League Cup final, winning two trophies. Yes the in the Top 4 Cup Arsenal are kings of doing just enough recently but that's not so much to blow one trumpet about. Really.

two league cup finals :p

Don't forget our new shiny stadium! I don't think many clubs could have done what Arsenal did and remain semi-competitive while directing the majority of their transfer funds into financing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yup, Rafa was the ultimate cup manager really.

I always liked him and liked Liverpool with him. Reckon it was that season where you finished marginally behind Utd's insane points total. A championship that year and things would be very different now for Liverpool ...

... but they're not, so go on, give us Suarez. It's not like he's going to Utd or Everton or anything.

Kess73 wrote: »
    two league cup finals :p

Ah nope! That final was in Feb 2005 so before Arsenal won their most recent cup - May 2005.

(I should say that's the final I always forget (probably that header :( )

...and the 32 million we earned from CL last year which is allowing us to buy your best striker :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭revz

The cattiness in the two threads the past 2 days is cringeworthy.
    People trying to get digs in about both sides, meh.

Re the transfer, Suarez is exactly what we need up front. However I wouldn't pay more than £45m for him. Too much risk; already missing the first 6 league games of the season.
    Soldado is available for €30m (~£26m), so £20m cheaper. Read he's on ~£40k a week wages at Valencia too. Really good finisher, think he could also fit in well. That would leave us with a huge chunk of change to fill in other gaps (DM like Capoue, CB....possibly Bernard?)
    Though that seems too FM-esque for us.

If I had it my way I'd go for Ibra, but I don't wanna start that debate again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

He'd make an excellent replacement to Ashley Cole, failing that we dont really need him.

With Hazard, Mata, Oscar, Schurrle, De Bruyne and Moses our attacking midfield options are pretty good.

Plus I dont think Spurs would sell him to us anyway so I'd say Luke shaw in 2-3 years will be Coles replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Higauin to Napoli is just done

Sigh

gosplan wrote: »

Levy is lauded as some kind of football transfer savant but he's really not. He's sanctioned ridiculous amounts of money to be spent on Bent and Bentley, gave Liverpool most of their money back for Robbie Keane, signed Adebayor for £5m and god knows what in wages and lost £7m by hanging onto Luka Modric for another year. This in addition to appointing Harry Redknapp.

That being said the man did some super business in buying Bale, Vertonghen, Dembele, Sandro and Lloris. And appointing AVB too. In fact his last 2 transfer windows have seen some cracking business being done in fairness.

The only player we've genuinely spent a decent amount on who's flopped is Gervinho imo.
    revz wrote: »
    Re the transfer, Suarez is exactly what we need up front. However I wouldn't pay more than £45m for him. Too much risk; already missing the first 6 league games of the season.
    Soldado is available for €30m (~£26m), so £20m cheaper. Read he's on ~£40k a week wages at Valencia too. Really good finisher, think he could also fit in well. That would leave us with a huge chunk of change to fill in other gaps (DM like Capoue, CB....possibly Bernard?)
    Though that seems too FM-esque for us.

If I had it my way I'd go for Ibra, but I don't wanna start that debate again :D

Yeah I'd be pretty hot on getting Soldado too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Who thinks we will get Suarez? Feels like we will at the moment for me. Think the club are fairly set on getting their man.

I can see Suarez handing in a transfer request by the end of the week and us upping our offer again.

• Advertisement

HazDanz wrote: »
    Who thinks we will get Suarez? Feels like we will at the moment for me. Think the club are fairly set on getting their man.

I can see Suarez handing in a transfer request by the end of the week and us upping our offer again.

Well if Madrid put in an offer of 40m or better they will get him I'm sure. LFC are not obliged to take the highest offer and would happily forego a few million to see him leave the league.

When rumours first surfaced I thought it was complete paper bullsh*t, politics to try and get Higuain signed.

BUT I think it's looking more and more likely. Substantial bid made, Suarez' willingness to talk to Arse, and Madrid's apparent lack of real interest (so far). Might just happen!

Sigh

What Madrid do now will have a massive impact on us.

Bale or Suarez

Well if Madrid put in an offer of 40m or better they will get him I'm sure. LFC are not obliged to take the highest offer and would happily forego a few million to see him leave the league.

I don't think Real will evaluate him at a high enough price for the owners to part way with him. If Arsenal offered 45mil for him and Real came in with 35 mil I think money talks and he would end up at Arsenal.

Sigh

Christ that's depressing. As arseblog said, a truly Chamakhian performance from Arsenal. I think I might switch off from pre season until the Villa game. Get excited about what might be on the teamsheet. Then ultimately devastation the likes of which hasn't been seen since I got the Blue Power Ranger outfit instead of the White one from Santa one xmas. :(

Higuain going to Napoli for £30m, potentially rising to £33.5m.

At that fee, you can see why the club switched interest to Suarez.
    I'd take Higuain for £30million before Suarez for £50million.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    I'd rather higuain over suarez for £50 million to be honest. The difference could buy us a very good DM.
    Yeah I don't think he's worth it in footballing terms and would rather not have him at the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Prospective incoming players will look at future trajectory more than what's gone on in the past.

Fact is, Arsenal are entering a new era where the advantages of their new stadium will finally bear fruit. They are in a good position to win stuff in the near future and players will look at that more rather than say ''oh, they haven't won anything in the last 8 years''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

The one place Suarez won't end up at this year is Arsenal. It would be idiotic for Liverpool to sell to Arsenal. Whether you agree or not Liverpool are trying to catch up with Arsenal and Spurs, they have to have that ambition. Selling to one of those clubs is not going to happen. Hence the very public rejection, FSG have to convince the Liverpool fans of their serious intentions.

In England they will only sell to City or possibly Chelsea I would say, and it would have to be silly money, i.e 55m+ , that's the value the Rogers has hinted at and he won't lose face by selling to Arsenal for less.

A bid from abroad changes it, in any case it will need to happen soon as Liverpool have been bitten before selling late and scrambling for replacements.

3 yrs on the contract and no transfer request puts him in liverpool's pocket until it is beneficial to sell him. He isn't going to sit on the bench in the year before a wc.

I am pie wrote: »
    The one place Suarez won't end up at this year is Arsenal. It would be idiotic for Liverpool to sell to Arsenal. Whether you agree or not Liverpool are trying to catch up with Arsenal and Spurs, they have to have that ambition. Selling to one of those clubs is not going to happen. Hence the very public rejection, FSG have to convince the Liverpool fans of their serious intentions.

In England they will only sell to City or possibly Chelsea I would say, and it would have to be silly money, i.e 55m+ , that's the value the Rogers has hinted at and he won't lose face by selling to Arsenal for less.

A bid from abroad changes it, in any case it will need to happen soon as Liverpool have been bitten before selling late and scrambling for replacements.

3 yrs on the contract and no transfer request puts him in liverpool's pocket until it is beneficial to sell him. He isn't going to sit on the bench in the year before a wc.

Unless you're the owner of FSG then you really haven't a clue what Liverpool are going to do to be honest. He could go, he could stay. There isn't a definitive answer to this one until 1/9/13.

cson wrote: »
    Unless you're the owner of FSG then you really haven't a clue what Liverpool are going to do to be honest. He could go, he could stay. There isn't a definitive answer to this one until 1/9/13.

Fcuk that seems like a long time away doesn't it? Hopefully it won't drag out that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/360055589042274304
    BBC Sport
    @BBCSport
    Breaking: Luis Suarez can talk to Arsenal but Liverpool have no intention of selling until £50m-plus valuation is met http://bbc.in/18BhAkV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I am pie wrote: »

Sadly I agree! The only way I can see Suarez joining us is if there is a release clause of some sort! I don't see Liverpool selling there beat player to a team that they are trying to catch, especially if he has 3 years left on his contract! Would love to be wrong, but wouldn't make sense on Liverpools part! So I'm just hoping that there is some kind of release clause.

Fcuk that seems like a long time away doesn't it? Hopefully it won't drag out that long.

If we didn't have games in August I'd be tempted to close my eyes, cross my fingers and prayer that Monsieur Wenger has the decided empty the bank vault in the interim.

The way the Higuain transfer has panned out, I don't think any smilie accurately represents how I feel about Arsenal when it comes to transfers as much as this one -> :rolleyes:

£50m-plus valuation

So that's £50,000,001 then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

BBC Reports "Luis Suarez will be allowed to hold talks with Arsenal but Liverpool have no intention of selling their striker until his £50m-plus valuation is met.

Arsenal's club-record bid of £40m plus £1 was firmly rejected by Liverpool but Suarez now wants to hold talks with the north London club.

The approach triggered a clause in his contract that means he has been told of the bid and can now talk to Arsenal. But Liverpool will not sell him until Arsenal up their offer significantly."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

imtdub wrote: »
    BBC Reports "Luis Suarez will be allowed to hold talks with Arsenal but Liverpool have no intention of selling their striker until his £50m-plus valuation is met.

Arsenal's club-record bid of £40m plus £1 was firmly rejected by Liverpool but Suarez now wants to hold talks with the north London club.

The approach triggered a clause in his contract that means he has been told of the bid and can now talk to Arsenal. But Liverpool will not sell him until Arsenal up their offer significantly."

I beat you this time! :pac:

imtdub wrote: »

After all this ****e we'll offer him 100k a week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

I know people are eager to splash the cash, but I would be uneasy spending 50 mill on Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

After all this ****e we'll offer him 100k a week!!

I'm not sure what he's on at Liverpool but I've seen reports saying we will offer him 150k a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Gotta say this is some pretty horrendous stuff from arsenal. If I'd said three months ago that arsenal could have Suarez for £50m I doubt anybody would think that was a good deal. Now after messing around with Higuain and even Jovetic they've made some very public offers for Suarez and have got themselves into a position where they kind of have to go through with it. If this deal falls through the club will be beyond and a joke and left with nobody.

No way is Suarez with all his baggage worth £50m. I doubt you'd find a single non pool fan who thinks that. Higuain plus a £20m defensive mid would have been great.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement