Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Do you ever read the thread? I posted that as bout half an hour ago. ;):p

She also said bring back Dein and let Usmanov on the board.

Well sorry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

We need to go for Rooney, Utd would sell to us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

liam7831 wrote: »
    We need to go for Rooney, Utd would sell to us

Maybe, but would he come to us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Well it's either that or he lacks the ability to spend money.
    Has to be one of them. We are told he spends all his time watching videos of games and spotting talent.

I think you've hit the nail on the head.

Wenger is in one way awesome at transfers and in another way totally rubbish.

The awesome way suited our past but the rubbish way is jeopardising our future.

What I mean is he's great at uncovering talent. Scouting network, contacts etc find him an unknown, sign him for peanuts, turn him into a world beater. He was brilliant at this. O.K. there were the Bendtners but overall he did it very well. However, you wouldn't know if his system would throw up a left back or a striker or a midfielder he'd turn into a defender.

But, if you say 'Arsne you've a week to find a CB', his meticulous transfer system has to be bypassed and he's likely to come up with a Squillaci or Silvestre.

His way of doing things kind of made sense cause we never had the money to match the quality of player we needed so he was always looking for a 5-10 million player that could play like a 20-30 million player. In fairness, he did this well.

But now what we need are good players regardless of cost and we seem paralysed by his fear of misstepping in the transfer market. This is all assumption but I think he must be too focused on value rather then on just plugging the holes in the team.

But it's grossly unfair to say he lacks ambition. He might just lack the ability to do what needs to be done. Wenger has been the best possible manager for us over the last 2 decades but unless he learns some new tricks, he won't be the man to take us forward.

He's gotten us to the point where we just need a good manager who can sign the necessary players and motivate then to play well.

A good analogy is Fergie. Fergie didn't so much give a sh1t about overspending, what he was terrified of was losing.

When City jacked up the Berbstov price from Spurs, Fergie had a fit but he paid. He overpaid and Berbatov ended up 3rd/4th choice but he was a 3rd/4th choice who managed to get top goal scorer by hammering the weaker teams for a year.

Wenger would have walked away from that once he deemed it to be overspending.

I don't think this equates to lacking ambition though, just needing better direction.

I would love so much to see him turn this around, though he is fast running out of time.

All this said there is a big fear in the back of my mind that our owners wil turn out to be sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Good listen especially the fight between Arsenal fans which is a little bit sad to hear.

Sexy Woman Arsenal fan with her Dad talk yesterdays game.

Think he would, Utd defo wont sell to Chelsea so were his only option, his reaction to RVP goal yesterday means he cant be very positive for dressing room

Maybe, but would he come to us?

If we sign A Fellaini, a Freat GK and Top CB, maybe he will. He wants a new challemage we hear so it very much so be at Arsenal right now.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why did David Dein leave the club lads?

He tried to get in sugar daddies. One was Kronke, the other was Usmanov to whom he sold his shares.

In fairness, he looked at the Abramovich and Chelsea and said 'we'll need one of them'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Why did David Dein leave the club lads?

Because get wanted red holdings in which is led by Usmanov and the board chose Kroenke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Potential targets

According to The Independent, Arsenenal have enquired about Michu. They have been told he will be £25m

Also the Mirror linking us with renenwed interest of Lars Bender with an increased bid

If we got them, plus Begovic, and Micah Richards/ Ginter / Gamez, and perhaps a winger... then that would be very good business indeed.

15 for Begovic, 25 for Mich, another 25 or so for Bender, and then perhaps Ginterr for around 12 million, that's 77 million pounds altogether...

• Advertisement

Potential targets

According to The Independent, Arsenenal have enquired about Michu. They have been told he will be £25m

Also the Mirror linking us with renenwed interest of Lars Bender with an increased bid

If we got them, plus Begovic, and Micah Richards/ Ginter / Gamez, and perhaps a winger... then that would be very good business indeed.

15 for Begovic, 25 for Mich, another 25 or so for Bender, and then perhaps Ginterr for around 12 million, that's 77 million pounds altogether...

Would be perfect business. You should be Arsenal manager Woolly do you fancy it :pac:. I can't see Wenger paying 25 million for Michu, he probably 7 million or something.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Would be perfect business. You should be Arsenal manager Woolly do you fancy it :pac:. I can't see Wenger paying 25 million for Michu, he probably 7 million or something.

I'd rather scout, lots of travel, grand job. Although if Wenger needed an assistant, I couldn't pass it up.

Yeah, Laudrup won't budge on price though, and 25 million seems right for a player of Michu's quality. And he has premier league experience.. no adjustment neccesary.

What wingers would be a good shout? Defintely think that should be looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Can anyone really come up with a genuine reason why we didn't sign anyone of note to date?

A real genuine reason now not the we bid 40 million for Suarez shyte that keeps being posted. That was a non-runner from the start and even then when Henry came out and said we won't be selling to a rival we didn't chase any other player and actually make a bid for them.

The Higuain and Suarez chase was a smokescreen for the fans in my opinion to make them believe we were actually in the market when we weren't. Even at that we didn't strengthen in other areas of the team. I can't understand why or who is at fault.

So a genuine good reason lads please because it certainly has me beat..
    Absolutely spot on. Let's pretend to try and get strikers when we are screaming out at the back and defensive midfielder.

At the match yesterday I fear for the champions league. The fans got on the back of the team early on. It's a **** show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Arsenal Supporters Trust has issued a statement saying Wenger should not be offered another contract unless there is a "Considerable improvement".

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23750387

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

If Swansea look for 25m for Michu ye'd be better off going for Benteke for 20m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gandalf wrote: »
    The Arsenal Supporters Trust has issued a statement saying Wenger should not be offered another contract unless there is a "Considerable improvement".

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23750387

Proper order.

Lads none of those fellas will win the champions league or premiership, we need to think big we need to think ROOOONEY

Spurs close to signing willian, why weren't we in for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He costs money

Mirror saying ox could be out for 6 months, could this weekend get any worst.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Tried to put things into perspective today but it looks so bad I can't take any positives from it. Who can we even sign before Sept 2nd? Its bleak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Michu isnt worth that kind of money after only one season. He could easily be a one season wonder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

People saying that we need back up for Per... Is there anyone else who thinks that he's the one that should be the back up? He's a decent likeable player but the PL is too fast paced for him and he lacks the class that the likes of Vidic and Kompany possess. I don't think we will come close to challenging for anything until Kos gets a top class partner and Chesney is dropped and mentored by a better, experienced GK.

So what can we expect now away v Fenerbache in terms of team selection? Podolski could be playing left back, if you didnt laugh you would cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I don't think Michu at that price is smart money, I really don't. And if a regular footballing fan thinks that, you can almost put your house on it that the Arsenal board will be of the same thought.

Would be shocked if ye paid that kind of money for him.

As for Bender, although I don't see either him wanting to leave Dortmund, or Dortmund willing to sell, enough money thrown at the deal in terms of transfer fee and wages and its likely that neither club nor player could say no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Michu, Benteke :-( ... sorry but that is pure panic talk. I'd rather play Bendtner than pay out the silly prices being quoted for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Can't see the club paying 25m for Michu, we got Cazorla for half that price (which was a bargain, almost on par with Spurs' coup for VDV). I'm surprised there hasn't been much mention of Eredivisie players, I saw Eriksson being bandied about, great player and will get better but I feel he's Bundesliga bound in the next season or so. Alderweireld would be a great acquisition to the squad, a strong player in the same mould as Verms.

Micah Richards would be a handy buy also, I wonder could he be utilised in DM as well? Begovic, well can't really argue with that.

Also, attacking wise, Montpellier have got some great players. Can't believe there's been feck all action from Ligue 1 this season's transfer window (with the exception of the Kinnearies)

Is he not a left winger??

While I'm all for spending the money. If we have 70 million then blowing half of it on a left winger would be nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

People saying that we need back up for Per... Is there anyone else who thinks that he's the one that should be the back up? He's a decent likeable player but the PL is too fast paced for him and he lacks the class that the likes of Vidic and Kompany possess. I don't think we will come close to challenging for anything until Kos gets a top class partner and Chesney is dropped and mentored by a better, experienced GK.

I've been saying this for ages, Mertezacker came from a Werder Bremen (the everton of the bundesliga in my eyes, He's good but put him next to Terry,Luiz, Kompany,Lescott, Nastasic, Vidic, Ferdinand and Verthongen (all of the other top 5 teams centre backs and he'd rank somewhere near the bottom of the lot , As you said he'd be great to slot in as a back up for a game or two, He's nowhere near good enough for the cut and thrust of the prem, Kosser is alot better than him, But as you saw yesterday penalty or no penalty he was the cause of both them , so i'd be bringing in two top CBs

Although as Barcelona found out this season its not as easy as that , And i don't think Ashley williams of swansea will cut it either he was practilly rode by RVP and Wellbeck yesterday against United

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote: »
    Is he not a left winger??

While I'm all for spending the money. If we have 70 million then blowing half of it on a left winger would be nuts.

Why who do we have at left wing who is doing better?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A leopard never changes it's spots.
    It will be a few cheap unknowns and the rot will continue.
    If it takes a few bad injuries to change direction then why hasn't that worked before?
    Start praying lads.

Imagine where we would have been if we had done all the business that needed doing 2 months ago.
    Criminal management and nothing less.

Willian would be a massive improvement on Podolski or Rosicky , I'd have Carzorla through the middle he's alot more affective there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Can anyone decipher Arsene's Eiffel Tower quote??

"Even if you go on the Eiffel Tower and you throw the money away,you have to play with the players you have"

...umm, what?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-arsene-wenger-warns-dangerous-2182610

Why who do we have at left wing who is doing better?

That's not my point.

But OK. Assume the budget is 70 million. Now you've 35-40 left.

Who are the essential CF, DMF and CB you're going to get?

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't think Michu at that price is smart money, I really don't. And if a regular footballing fan thinks that, you can almost put your house on it that the Arsenal board will be of the same thought.

As for Bender, although I don't see either him wanting to leave Dortmund, or Dortmund willing to sell, enough money thrown at the deal in terms of transfer fee and wages and its likely that neither club nor player could say no.

He's actually playing for Leverskusen,. if he was a Dortmund player, he'd be considerably harderto get him.

Story here:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-new-lars-bender-2178482

In terms of strikers, Leverskusen had the highest scorer in the Bundesliga last season in Stefan Kiessling.. double bid perchance? Say 50 for the two of them.

Willian would be a massive improvement on Podolski or Rosicky , I'd have Carzorla through the middle he's alot more affective there

Eriksen for half the price or less and then keep the money to invest on the likes of Bender and a CF might make more sense.

"Even if you go on the Eiffel Tower and you throw the money away,you have to play with the players you have"

...umm, what?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-arsene-wenger-warns-dangerous-2182610

Can't make head or tails of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

He's actually playing for Leverskusen,. if he was a Dortmund player, he'd be considerably harderto get him.

Story here:http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-new-lars-bender-2178482

In terms of strikers, Leverskusen had the highest scorer in the Bundesliga last season in Stefan Kiessling.. double bid perchance? Say 50 for the two of them.

Kiessling signed a new deal 3 weeks ago.

As good as we are at getting rid of players we can't seem to shake Bendtner

As for Bender they better go in properly and get it done it fast and quickly and show they mean business if there to have any hope of getting in anymore players, they need to make a statment now or **** off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

...umm, what?

Who knows, maybe it makes sense in his own head. Really fcuking tired of him spouting crap like this, want to see action not meaningless words.

Knex. wrote: »

Very true. We should at this point just stop with the bullsh1t

Sign Ginter. Then pay the 70/80 million it will take to get Bender and either of Rooney/Suarez

My bad. Thought it was Sven Bender ye were linked with.

No hope on Kiebling I would think. Signed a new contract this summer I'm sure and at 29 wouldn't be worth hitting the 25m mark it would need to make Leverkusen let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Who knows, maybe it makes sense in his own head. Really fcuking tired of him spouting crap like this, want to see action not meaningless words.

People throw money off the tower and make a wish. He is saying it doesn't matter what we do(or wish we could do) we can't change players for the CL qualifier

This is starting to get funny if it wasn't already desperate.

Lads NO WAY will there be anything resembling 70 million spent. This is Arsenal.

jonny666 wrote: »
    People throw money off the tower and make a wish. He is saying it doesn't matter what we do(or wish we could do) we can't change players for the CL qualifier

and whose fault is that then?

jonny666 wrote: »

Thats the managers fault tho??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

and whose fault is that then?

Its wengers. He took a massive gamble and it back fired.

Not too hopefully of signing any of the player being talked about. Maybe Ashley Williams. We will make signings but reckon we won't be happy with them!!

The team needs more than 70 million worth of surgery to make us title challengers again thats how deep the neglect has been to the club. Look at our players, we have no truely top class players bar Cazorla and maybe Wilshere? As I said how many of our starting XI get into say Utd or Chelsea's team?? Very few

• Advertisement

This is starting to get funny if it wasn't already desperate.

Lads NO WAY will there be anything resembling 70 million spent. This is Arsenal.

This is Arsene. You got it all wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement