Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

bad2dabone wrote: »
    always seems to me that we have more injuries than we should - we spent a fortune on a new medical centre and it does look amazing (there's a vid on the arsenal player) but i wonder why we suffer so many injuries. Is it down to training methods or poor physios?

Not much point having a new medical centre if there's nobody in it I suppose :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

After selling Gervinho and the horrible news about Ox, should we really be standing around while Spurs and Liverpool move closer to signing Willian? He's better than what we have on the left.

Yes, he probably is. But it's Podolski's only position and a decent enough place for Santi as backup. I get that there's a debate about Santi's best position but he's done enough to show he's OK there.

11 goals and however many assists is good for Podolski in his first season.

Yes Willian might be better there and if the money goes unspent then what you're suggesting would be good but there are much better ways to spend our resources.

Provided they are spent obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Bring back Sylvestre! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

As of right now we only have 1 senior player who can play RW? Gervinho gone and Ox injured. We need a versatile attacking midfielder badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The ox injury should open up the door for gnarby who should break through this year

AdamD wrote: »
    As of right now we only have 1 senior player who can play RW? Gervinho gone and Ox injured. We need a versatile attacking midfielder badly.

I think Santi has history there back in Spain but he's also our backup LW so yeah, we need someone.

The Ox and Santi could both play those three positions.

With the Ox out long term, we're a Cazorla injury away from having no good AMF and no backup on either wing.

I don't think Ramsey, Wilshire or Rosicky are good options at AMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

the sad thing is we can all name 2/3 players in each position we're short in that would improve the team and Wenger can't.

He's down to his very last bit of goodwill with me. there's one drop left in the bottle, but it's not looking good.
    I can't say that I trust him to fix this, as it's him who's presided over the mess we're currently in.

James Olley ‏@JamesOlley 2m
    Some good news for #afc. Gibbs, Ramsey & Rosicky expected to be fit to travel to Fenerbahce tomorrow. Sagna doubtful, still being monitored.
    Retweeted by arseblog
    Expand

Woj
    Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscienly Gibbs
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
    Giroud

Most likely? Maybe Podolski for Rosicky with Cazorla at CAM. One thing is certain, the team needs to have infinitely better shape than it did on Saturday, they were all over the place at times.

gosplan wrote: »
    I think Santi has history there back in Spain but he's also our backup LW so yeah, we need someone.

The Ox and Santi could both play those three positions.

With the Ox out long term, we're a Cazorla injury away from having no good AMF and no backup on either wing.

I don't think Ramsey, Wilshire or Rosicky are good options at AMF.

Said this yesterday out biggest signing should be a proper playmaker someone who can unlock defences

• Advertisement

James Olley ‏@JamesOlley 2m
    Some good news for #afc. Gibbs, Ramsey & Rosicky expected to be fit to travel to Fenerbahce tomorrow. Sagna doubtful, still being monitored.
    Retweeted by arseblog
    Expand

Woj
    Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscienly Gibbs
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
    Giroud

Most likely? Maybe Podolski for Rosicky with Cazorla at CAM. One thing is certain, the team needs to have infinitely better shape than it did on Saturday, they were all over the place at times.

Get Pod into LWF and get Santi into the middle IMO.

That front 4 should deliver goals and we'll probably need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

the sad thing is we can all name 2/3 players in each position we're short in that would improve the team and Wenger can't.

He's down to his very last bit of goodwill with me. there's one drop left in the bottle, but it's not looking good.
    I can't say that I trust him to fix this, as it's him who's presided over the mess we're currently in.

I'm sure he probably can. Doing a deal for them is different thing entirely though.

I don't think michu is why we need

But if he starts banging in the goals that's all that would matter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If we dont want to spend £30m on Higuain there's no way we'll spend £25m on Michu.

keano_afc wrote: »
    If we dont want to spend £30m on Higuain there's no way we'll spend £25m on Michu.

We have backed ourselfs into a corner were gonna have to overpay now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't think that was the case though. I think we were in for Higuain and very interested, but then someone, possibly from the Suarez camp came dangling a carrot, saying we could get Suarez for £40M+1. This meant we went all out for Suarez as we presumed it was a simple case. Then Higuain disappeared, and afterwards so did Suarez, leaving us standing at the back dick in hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That was a different time. Now they are in full panic mode knowing they are faced with a potential exit from the CL and the fury that will generate from the fan base. You know things are at breaking point when you see reports of fighting between Arsenal fans in the stadium during the match on Saturday.

Michu can play AM aswell as up front, I'd take him no problem.

but we're desperately short at DM (as Rambo's frankly pathetic attempt to stop Gabby Agbonlahor's run that lead to chesney's headless charge and villas first peno showed)
    and we're short at CB.

And we could do with a begovic.

It shouldn't be hard to get Michu done, 25m, get a DM for 25-30m, begovic, 15m and Williams, 10m. shouldn't be hard at all.

gandalf wrote: »
    That was a different time. Now they are in full panic mode knowing they are faced with a potential exit from the CL and the fury that will generate from the fan base. You know things are at breaking point when you see reports of fighting between Arsenal fans in the stadium during the match on Saturday.

No way are we getting anyone before the CL, and if we do, they'll be ****e.

Am I the only one who thinks we shouldn't touch Michu with a barge pole?

And why is CL relevant to our signings? Spurs seem to be signing players of a good standard without it. I doubt we need CL football to find a 4th choice CB or a backup DM. Its nonsense imo.

And why is CL relevant to our signings? Spurs seem to be signing players of a good standard without it. I doubt we need CL football to find a 4th choice CB or a backup DM. Its nonsense imo.

Agree 100% with your second point, but can you expand on your first regarding Michu?

obviously 25m is a lot for him but he's very good. I'd go for him for that money, or Benteke (although i previously said no to benteke, he's a beast and we could do with the likes of him)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

We always seem to do business late when we have a CL qualifier. Maybe it made sense when things were very right, but surely not now!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

25m is crazy money for Michu, but if its Michu or nothing then I'd take it tbh. If last season wasn't a flash in the pan then this time next year in hindsight it would be a bargain.

Would rather we throw 40m at United for Rooney instead though.

Agree 100% with your second point, but can you expand on your first regarding Michu?

obviously 25m is a lot for him but he's very good. I'd go for him for that money, or Benteke (although i previously said no to benteke, he's a beast and we could do with the likes of him)

I just think its incredibly risky for a guy who played his best football at CAM, without being a creator. Can we afford to have a goalscoring CAM? Doesn't suit our play at all imo. Hes also 27 and has only had 2 double digit goalscoring seasons, albeit his last 2. Surely we could get somebody more proven who could fit into the system better.

Of course I could be wrong and a goalscorer off Giroud might suit better.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I just think its incredibly risky for a guy who played his best football at CAM, without being a creator. Can we afford to have a goalscoring CAM? Doesn't suit our play at all imo. Hes also 27 and has only had 2 double digit goalscoring seasons, albeit his last 2. Surely we could get somebody more proven who could fit into the system better.

Of course I could be wrong and a goalscorer off Giroud might suit better.

He mainly plays as a striker for Swansea.

gosplan wrote: »
    No way are we getting anyone before the CL, and if we do, they'll be ****e.

Oh I know that we won't be bringing anyone in before the CL qualifier. What I am saying is if we are beaten in Turkey then things are going to get very ugly for Wenger and the board and they know it.

I see United's bid to sign Fellini and Baines has been rejected at £28 million. I for one would be delighted if one or both were landed by us. I suspect we won't but I think we should throw a bid in for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭ronjo

gandalf wrote: »
    I see United's bid to sign Fellini and Baines has been rejected at £28 million. I for one would be delighted if one or both were landed by us. I suspect we won't but I think we should throw a bid in for them.

40 million for that pair and 40 million for Rooney.

Job done :)

I just seen the utd bids for the Everton duo

Can't wait to open the papers to see them been called classes

Can't wait to see there club been called penny punchers

Can wait too see there manager been called clueless and outdated

Or does this only happen to arsenal

Seen Suarez is dead I'd want

Rooney

Benteke

Michu

But we need someone simple as

Of course not united are the UK's "golden team" ;)

• Advertisement

Lads were doing ourselves no good speculating about transfers. We may as well be on a forced diet dependent on others to provide us with small bits of rabbit food and yet we find ourselves discussing cream cakes.

Ive come to the conclusion that this board of bastard shysters think no one is worth the money barring themselves

That said we're not the only penny pinchers it would seem. Uniteds offer for both Baines and Fellaini today was a howler. Sure Fellaini alone is worth 24/25m in my opinion. Put it like this if Joe Allen (15m), Jordan Henderson (20m) or Stewart Downing (20m) can fetch the type of money they did then Fellaini is very much underpriced. I gather the offer was probably 14 apiece for the two? Correct me if im wrong.

Id agree. Everton have every right to be insulted by that bid. Would Moyes have accepted it if he was still the manager there i wonder? Not a fupping hope he would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

It would cost nearly that much for Fellaini alone. Obviously Wenger isnt the only manager who doesnt know what to do when he has a lot of money to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wake up read the thread all hopeful, as reading continues hope diminishes still no signings, still no light at the end of the tunnel yet.

Fcuk you Arsenal.... sign some damn players.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We've bid for Cabaye according to SSN. Would be a good signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I gather the offer was probably 14 apiece for the two? Correct me if im wrong.

£16m for Fellaini and £12m for Baines, ridiculous considering they rejected his £12m bid a few months ago. He's fast losing credibility with his old club and in the transfer market, he's just lucky he has a great squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

We've bid for Cabaye according to SSN

edit: apologies, been posted

While I would welcome him michu and Williams

All these players could have been signed in June now that's a balls

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

£16m for Fellaini and £12m for Baines, ridiculous considering they rejected his £12m bid a few months ago. He's fast losing credibility with his old club and in the transfer market, he's just lucky he has a great squad.

Personally I think thats a fair bid for Baines, Fellani with cost between €25-€30m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Now thats more like it, would gladly take Cabaye.

Williams I'd accept as a decent enough signing and a squad plaer to provide cover.

Michu is the desperation signing wouldn't be overly excited but as were desperate I'd take him.

Seen Suarez is dead I'd want

Rooney

Benteke

Michu

But we need someone simple as

Rooney is the only one proven top class player out of those 3 and is proving more of a cancerous influence then anything at United.

The other two i fear could easily be 1 season wonders.

Benteke may have got two penos the weekend but considering the threat Villa were i feel he done sfa really other then them and the first one was poorly taken. I felt Ches should have really got the ball to the side at the very least. Perhaps as a non goalie im being overly critical?

Michu faded badly the second half of last season. Id question as to why Swansea got him for such a bargain last year and why werent any and i mean any of the bigger clubs interested? Not even Spurs who you'd imagine he would be their type of signing.

If we end up paying 25m for Michu and he ends up being a flop then Wenger will take more flak. He just cant win whatsoever

Rooney is the only one proven top class player out of those 3 and is proving more of a cancerous influence then anything at United.

The other two i fear could easily be 1 season wonders.

Benteke may have got two penos the weekend but considering the threat Villa were i feel he done sfa really other then them and the first one was poorly taken. I felt Ches should have really got the ball to the side at the very least. Perhaps as a non goalie im being overly critical?

Michu faded badly the second half of last season. Id question as to why Swansea got him for such a bargain last year and why werent any and i mean any of the bigger clubs interested? Not even Spurs who you'd imagine he would be their type of signing.

If we end up paying 25m for Michu and he ends up being a flop then Wenger will take more flak. He just cant win whatsoever

Fully agree with everything ya said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Hope you lot have got £20m lined-up for Cabaye, otherwise Wenger is wasting his time.

Take Van Persie out that squad and he'd be royally f*cked this summer. That said when the heat is on he might actually spend a bob or two. I dont think Baines is worth much more then 12 but Fellaini was a proper insult

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Cabaye would be a smashing signing he would be an upgrade on Ramsey and he wouldnt need time to settle in. Any idea how much we have bid for him, id say around the 15 million mark??

• Advertisement

Let the bidding begin gonna be a fun few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

While I would welcome him michu and Williams

All these players could have been signed in June now that's a balls

Yup absolutely no reason not to get these guys earlier. Getting Suarez, Rooney players like that can take time. a lot of the time down to TDD but any of those could easily have been bid for and signed by the end of july. Certainly before the start of the season.

Now thats more like it, would gladly take Cabaye.

Williams I'd accept as a decent enough signing and a squad plaer to provide cover.

Michu is the desperation signing wouldn't be overly excited but as were desperate I'd take him.

Williams, like Mert, is slow but tbf to him he is willing to put his body on the line and that type of character could be worth something to the club.

But of course we cant seem to agree a fee with any fcukin club on anyone.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

There are some links to us going for Pogba too. It'll be one or the other if there's any truth to it.

There are some links to us going for Pogba too. It'll be one or the other if there's any truth to it.

Wasnt Pogba a bit of a knob at United though or is it Ravel Morrison im thinking of?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement