Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Cabaye was really poor last season but so where the whole newcastle team, just seems like another cheap option, he's not anywhere near top class, but at this stage we can't be too fussy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't want Cabaye to be honest. He had one good season but as others have said last season he dropped off.

I'd take Pogba though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

It really is 2 years ago all over again. A mad dash to get players in and the ones that come in wont lift the squad. Cabaye = Arteta 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Williams, like Mert, is slow but tbf to him he is willing to put his body on the line and that type of character could be worth something to the club.

But of course we cant seem to agree a fee with any fcukin club on anyone.

Yeh Williams was the kind of signing I expected at the start of the summer a squad player, the big money I was hoping would be spent on a CF and DM mainly.

But yeh as others have said if we do sign Williams all this talk from the club were working hard etc fcuk off Williams and that caliber of player could have easily been signed earlier in the summer.

But yeh as usual we will always penny pinch I would hate to be any club dealing with Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd take Cabaye as we need bodies and hes probably good enough to be a starter anyway, good from set pieces too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Cabaye was really poor last season but so where the whole newcastle team, just seems like another cheap option, he's not anywhere near top class, but at this stage we can't be too fussy.

I'd class him around the same level as Arteta was at Everton when we picked him up. I'm excited about this bid either way but I think we'll need £18-20m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Doocey wrote: »
    Hope you lot have got £20m lined-up for Cabaye, otherwise Wenger is wasting his time.

We're reported to have bid 12 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What??? Cabaye???

I'm all for that but why wait.

Pogba I can get. Like why would he leave Juve for Arsenal? So maybe we need to wait till we've signed a marquee player, qualified for the CL and then offer him a nice payrise.

But Cabaye?? If we were ever in for him, it's a joke that it wasn't done ages ago. I mean the guy nearly got relegated. He probably would have shown up with his suitcases on the first day of the transfer window.

Poor show Arsne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Would love us to go in for El Sharaaway as well, we are in desperate need of another pacey winger that can take of players, bar Walcott our team is devoid of any pace its a trait Wengers teams has always had in abundance.

Wasnt Pogba a bit of a knob at United though or is it Ravel Morrison im thinking of?

I would love Pogba at Arsenal be a brilliant singing but can't see Juventus willing to let him go.

Ravel Morrison was a bit of a knob, a United fan I know said Pogba was one of Fergusons biggest downfalls in his last few years promised him game time which he never gave him so Pogba wanted out and proved his worth a Juventus last year.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

El Shawhatsit is the sort of player we should be going for. Maybe with new management next summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Doocey wrote: »
    Hope you lot have got £20m lined-up for Cabaye, otherwise Wenger is wasting his time.

Are you doing the negotiating on Newcastles behalf?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

So Arsenal are putting in a bid for a player that could have been signed months ago.

Seems like fan appeasement to me.

Anyone beginning to think given Arsene and Nina Bracewell-Smith's comments that it is Kronke holding everything up.

Cabaye does nothing for me. A good squad addition but not a world class player and one that could have been signed months ago without impacting at all on other bigger plans.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Are you doing the negotiating on Newcastles behalf?

Considering the club hired Joe Kinnear, Alan Pardew and have Mike Ashley running them they would be just as well to get a lad on an internet forum to negotiate :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I would love Pogba at Arsenal be a brilliant singing but can't see Juventus willing to let him go.

Ravel Morrison was a bit of a knob, a United fan I know said Pogba was one of Fergusons biggest downfalls in his last few years promised him game time which he never gave him so Pogba wanted out and proved his worth a Juventus last year.

Pogba had an ego but he has proven why. Morrison is a criminal and a degenerate.

Jasus just looked at twitter looks Arsenal have seriously kicked into trolley dash mode just throwing bid and enquiries everywhere hoping something will stick.

Will still probably take us a week to sort out a deal over a few euro.

See were being linked Kndogbia aswell according to Sky Sports we have enquired.

To be honest I can't Pogba being sold or willing to move, Cabaye I'd take but Kondogbia would be better.

Pudders wrote: »
    So Arsenal are putting in a bid for a player that could have been signed months ago.

Anyone beginning to think given Arsene and Nina Bracewell-Smith's comments that it is Kronke holding everything up.

Cabaye does nothing for me. A good squad addition but not a world class player and one that could have been signed months ago without impacting at all on other bigger plans.

I reckon it is him and those other American numpties. They are so clueless id say they are even trying to sign NBA players to play for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

Cabaye is a good player but Arsenal would be better served bringing in Tiote from Newcastle instead to give them a bit of steel in the middle of the field.

Don't think Tiote's good enough technically.

• Advertisement

Bracewell Smith is an attention seeker too. Once her own palm was crossed with silver she didnt give a fúck but she is only trying to look like one of the good guys now. Fooling no one. She should stay quiet. She sold her shares to Mr Moustachio and thats the bottom line

We're reported to have bid 12 million.

Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png

EDIT: Needless to say im not having a pop at you Tayto, but the reported bid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

We looked at both kebab :) and Williams last year

So I def don't think we're panic buying

I just think we missed out on primary targets

And we're moving down the list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

the most embarrassing thing is how over the odds we are going to have to pay. Everybody knows Wenger needs signings and has plenty of cash, recipe for getting fleased. 25 for michu is going to end in tears, forget about it.

Yeh he reminds me off Frimpong in his style of play.

Still think Frimpong would have made it at Arsenal and wished he had off had injuries not ruined him. He looked so promising when he first broke into the first team in pre season everyone was ranting and raving about him including Wenger proclaiming him a future England international and star.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

greendom wrote: »
    Any chance we can leave all the negativity behind on the old thread ?

If you mean by calling a spade a spade , then no

Since when it is negativity. No point pretending something is in order when it clearly it not.

• Advertisement

Still think Frimpong would have made it at Arsenal and wished he had off had injuries not ruined him. He looked so promising when he first broke into the first team in pre season everyone was ranting and raving about him including Wenger proclaiming him a future England international and star.

That second injury at Wolves really fcuked it on him. I feel that Wenger had big plans for him up to that point

A lot of reports now saying we only bid 10 million for Cabaye come on Arsenal FFS I could have told them that would be rejected minimum 1st bid at least should have been about 15 million for any hope of a positive respone.

We really are doing our best to keep our transfer record in tact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Have a bad feeling that with all that has happened we wont sign enough players. 12million wont be enough for Cabaye. Newcastle know the state of our team and that we need players pronto and push up the price. So will every other club. We walked away from Arteta for 10 grand a week and only for him not being a greedy fcuker we wouldnt have got him. Imagine the disaster that season would have been without him. I am worried that might happen this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

He would break up the play for Arsenal though and allow the likes of Arteta, Wilshire, Carzola to play ball then.

cant all be fancy dan back heels and flicks

You can't skimp on technical ability in midfield.

• Advertisement

A lot of reports now saying we only bid 10 million for Cabaye come on Arsenal FFS I could have told them that would be rejected minimum 1st bid at least should have been about 15 million for any hope of a positive respone.

We really are doing our best to keep our transfer record in tact.

Whatever about leaving the figure just outside the ballpark as a negotiation starting point, some of Arsenal's bids havent even been on the same planet.

Dont worry we'll come back with an improved offer -£10m +£1

dr-evil.jpg

slingerz wrote: »
    He would break up the play for Arsenal though and allow the likes of Arteta, Wilshire, Carzola to play ball then.

cant all be fancy dan back heels and flicks

Not many teams use a Tiote style player these days in that position. Arteta isn't all "fancy dan back heels and flicks"

Most teams still employ a DM but the DM not only breaks up play but is also a player that is comfortable on the ball and capable of a wide range of passes not just tough tacklers anymore.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Even though there was tenuous links before I think the fact we're bidding for Cabaye (whom I'd welcome btw) now goes to show Wenger genuinely thought we might be able to get by on the midfielders we already have. Apart from Bender he's the first one we've bid for, and the fact they never upped their bid for Bender suggests to me they weren't all that pushed in the first place.

It's a knee-jerk signing to our injuries at the weekend just like Monreal was in january. (imo)

Having said that, I like him and think he'll fit in really well though he's more of an attacking MF/playmaker which I don't think we really need.

I would imagine if he did come we'd have Ramsey playing deep with 2 of Cabaye/Jack/Santi/Rosicky ahead of him until Arteta comes back. It would open up Santi to play on the left and have Pod as our cover for Giroud.

Pudders wrote: »

I can not, for the life of me understand how any manager, especially someone like Wenger who needs to get back competing , would refuse to buy players and spend money of people he fancies. He knows himself the limitations of this team that remarkably went against the odds last season and got 4th place

Wenger looked like he lost that special knack of spotting a player a few years ago (some big time Charlies let him down badly), but last seasons purchases were good.

It has got to be the board

Why the hell would Wenger, with a chance to take over from Ferguson's dominance , give up on such a chance? Surely he has not got that stale?

gosplan wrote: »
    What??? Cabaye???

I'm all for that but why wait.

Pogba I can get. Like why would he leave Juve for Arsenal? So maybe we need to wait till we've signed a marquee player, qualified for the CL and then offer him a nice payrise.

But Cabaye?? If we were ever in for him, it's a joke that it wasn't done ages ago. I mean the guy nearly got relegated. He probably would have shown up with his suitcases on the first day of the transfer window.

Poor show Arsne.

Agree entirely.

It won't be long until we hear the chant " You don't know what you're doing".

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah was a shame. Still, the squad is so thin he might get a chance on Wednesday night if Ramsey doesn't end up being fit. If Wenger doesn't get the finger out on the transfer front this could be Frimmy's season. Hows that for some highly deluded optimism in the face of certain doom? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah was a shame. Still, the squad is so thin he might get a chance on Wednesday night if Ramsey doesn't end up being fit. If Wenger doesn't get the finger out on the transfer front this could be Frimmy's season. Hows that for some highly deluded optimism in the face of certain doom? :pac:

Could do worse than letting him sit in front of the back 4 on Wednesday, Ramsey and Wilshere didn't work at all defensively.

WTF is going on today at Arsenal

SSN say Arsenal in talks with Juventus for Paul Pogba. ITV say £20m bid submitted. This is mad. http://bit.ly/12ivuUc

I think this sums it up nicely

Every football player in England stand by. You may be about to be subject to a bid from Arsenal Football Club. #Strategy

Feels like deadline day did someone just wake up at Arsenal and just realise fcuk we need to sign players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

It's almost like he's waiting for the latest aldi\lidl mag to come out with bargain players for sale. I keep thinking it's more to do with the stadium and repayments, they built it in the middle of the boom.

Bid for all the players

• Advertisement

I reckon it is him and those other American numpties. They are so clueless id say they are even trying to sign NBA players to play for us.

Considering how is Son is running the Denver Nuggets, it seems that Asset Striping and failing to follow on from a good previous season is a family trait

Well no surprise, Newcastle have rejected the bid. 10m was a pathetic opening offer tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Pogba would be a great signing, much rather him over Fellaini or Cabaye. Bender would be my first choice but we're not going to get him.

I can not, for the life of me understand how any manager, especially someone like Wenger who needs to get back competing , would refuse to buy players and spend money of people he fancies. He knows himself the limitations of this team that remarkably went against the odds last season and got 4th place

Wenger looked like he lost that special knack of spotting a player a few years ago (some big time Charlies let him down badly), but last seasons purchases were good.

It has got to be the board

Why the hell would Wenger, with a chance to take over from Ferguson's dominance , give up on such a chance? Surely he has not got that stale?

Exactly. Wenger has won things everywhere he went. I just steadfast refuse to believe that has lost his hunger. You dont give the length of time in football that he has - 17 years at one club - without hunger. When you lose hunger you walk away.

I think he has a team of new negotiators who were recommended by Stan who couldnt close a door let alone a deal and thats the bottom line. These lads are great at negotiating deals with sponsors where its a 50/50 desire from both sides, but the transfer market is all new ground to them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTgQzmpvxhvxlbDi39DZHz-raH_OTK_w-fTpoRCC6_b8oeUYxJ

.....that we could have signed 3 months ago

10million

Haha were drunk

keano_afc wrote: »
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTgQzmpvxhvxlbDi39DZHz-raH_OTK_w-fTpoRCC6_b8oeUYxJ

.....that we could have signed 3 months ago

I wanna thank this twice

And repost it on every social media I have

So true :)

10million

Haha were drunk

Certainly but the bid of 20 million for Pogba wouldn't be a million miles off the mark or they reckon about 15 million would get Kondogbia who we have apparently enquired about along with every other player really.

10million

Haha were drunk

Indeed. And to think some posters believe we will spend 70 million. Ha ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Wasnt Pogba a bit of a knob at United though or is it Ravel Morrison im thinking of?

Pogba wanted game time before signing a new contract. Fergie wanted a new contract before giving him game time. Neither backed down and United lost out big time.

We'd have to give him a hell of a pay rise as he would have no other reason to leave Juve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement