Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

What's Arsene smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Indeed. And to think some posters believe we will spend 70 million. Ha ha ha.

At that rate of bidding

70 million will get us a serious amount of players haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

At that rate of bidding

70 million will get us a serious amount of players haha

Maybe looper will get the whole new squad he craves after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I wish we didn't piss off the clubs we want to buy from with these wasteful bids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wish we didn't piss off the clubs we want to buy from with these wasteful bids.

How did you come to that conclusion? £10m for Cabaye isnt a million miles off what I'd value him at. Somewhere between £15m and £20m would get him but it's retarded to open with such a bid. The selling side will hold out for even more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Havent seen anything of Pogba, would he be worth half our budget? I say this as someone who believes that our real pot is nowhere near £70m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's panic stations at this stage. He has to sign players to try and get the fans off his and the team's back but at this stage he's not going to be able to get the kind of players Arsenal need, hence Cabaye.

Every club in Europe knows Arsenal are desperate to sign players and have a load of cash. They're going to add on a good chunk of change to the asking price, regardless of who the player in.

I'd bet money Arsenal end up sign Erikksen from Ajax before the transfer window closes. He's been trying to talk up a move away from there all summer with no-one biting.

Yeah we practically torched the only bridge into town with each club. If truth be known we fannied about over peanuts with Higuain too and then Napoli got their windfall from the sale of Cavani and gazumped us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

We goina have a busy fax machine this week :pac:

Joe Kinnear
    "Ten million? What have you been smoking?"

Laudrup
    "6 million for Williams? What have you been smoking?"

The way wenger is goin I cant see us signing anyone!!

It's panic stations at this stage. He has to sign players to try and get the fans off his and the team's back but at this stage he's not going to be able to get the kind of players Arsenal need, hence Cabaye.

I'd bet money Arsenal end up sign Erikksen from Ajax before the transfer window closes. He's been trying to talk up a move away from there all summer with no-one biting.

I thought Spurs and Pool were fighting it out for the two Ajax lads?

• Advertisement

Just seen a tweet that said confirmed Arsenal can register one more player for the Fernerbache game by midnight tomorrow anyone know if this is true?

Could explain the trolley dash for a midfielder.

Every club in Europe knows Arsenal are desperate to sign players and have a load of cash. They're going to add on a good chunk of change to the asking price, regardless of who the player in.

If we were to sign Pogba or Kondogbia I would be delighted and they would certainly be the type of player Arsenal need.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion? £10m for Cabaye isnt a million miles off what I'd value him at. Somewhere between £15m and £20m would get him but it's retarded to open with such a bid. The selling side will hold out for even more.

According to George Caulkin (based in the North for The Times), the bid was described as derisory. You don't have to open with £20m obv but you start things off by pissing off the potential seller if your first bid is way too low because you're wasting their time. Remember our £35m Suarez bid? That too was wasteful, should've opened at £40m.

By the way, cannot see Pogba happening but Marchisio would be gettable at the right price imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »

10m is a low ball the sort of bid that you do to turn the players head, then come in with the 15m showing a big jump and we mean business.

I not happy with Cabaye, he is not much of an improvement of what we have and therefor is an addition to the squad, we need players that improve the first team

I thought Spurs and Pool were fighting it out for the two Ajax lads?

Been vague twitter talk of that all summer long, but no bids and nothing remotely concrete. Meanwhile Erikssen continues to try and attract a bid from anyone.

Just seen a tweet that said confirmed Arsenal can register one more player for the Fernerbache game by midnight tomorrow anyone know if this is true?

Could explain the trolley dash for a midfielder.

Would it not be more use trying to get a defender in? Maybe Sanga is ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

When did clubs start calling anything below their asking price derisory?
    John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 1h
    Remarkable change in philosophy for clubs to now issue statements about transfers, bids and ridiculing rivals. Times they are a changin'

saw this after Everton called United's bids derisory. Is all very odd for me, Cabaye's hardly worth so much that 10m is an insult.

If we were to sign Pogba or Kondogbia I would be delighted and they would certainly be the type of player Arsenal need.

Definitely but Arsenal are going to have to pay over the odds if they want to sign them - or indeed anyone. Going in with low ball offers will just harden other clubs' resolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I'd like to see us throw a bid into Wigan for James McCarthy. If we're after a midfielder I reckon he would be a good signing and would definitely improve the squad. Maybe not the star player that would appease the fans, but he'd definitely help us in our current situation.

AdamD wrote: »
    When did clubs start calling anything below their asking price derisory?
    John Cross ‏@johncrossmirror 1h
    Remarkable change in philosophy for clubs to now issue statements about transfers, bids and ridiculing rivals. Times they are a changin'

saw this after Everton called United's bids derisory. Is all very odd for me, Cabaye's hardly worth so much that 10m is an insult.

Owen Coyle called our Gary Cahill bid derisory a few seasons ago, we hear it quite a bit :D

• Advertisement

Roddy23 wrote: »
    I'd like to see us throw a bid into Wigan for James McCarthy. If we're after a midfielder I reckon he would be a good signing and would definitely improve the squad. Maybe not the star player that would appease the fans, but he'd definitely help us in our current situation.

Give it a few more days and Im sure we'll get to him :pac:

jonny666 wrote: »
    Would it not be more use trying to get a defender in? Maybe Sanga is ok?

I heard there still monitoring Sagna and Gibbs should be ok, a midfileder we badly need loook how easily Villa cut us open for the first peno without Arteta.
    Definitely but Arsenal are going to have to pay over the odds if they want to sign them - or indeed anyone. Going in with low ball offers will just harden other clubs' resolve.

Yeh whatever about the Cabaye bid 20 million for Pogba I wouldn't exactly call low ball.

Soups123 wrote: »
    10m is a low ball the sort of bid that you do to turn the players head, then come in with the 15m showing a big jump and we mean business.

I not happy with Cabaye, he is not much of an improvement of what we have and therefor is an addition to the squad, we need players that improve the first team

Would the initial low bid also not make the player just think 'we'll obviously these lads dont value me that much'?

I suppose it could be worse. We could do a Malcolm Allison and read an extra zero and then jump straight in with a bid, 10 fold what the selling club were looking for.

We need a Vieira not a Cabaye ffs.

I heard there still monitoring Sagna and Gibbs should be ok, a midfileder we badly need loook how easily Villa cut us open for the first peno without Arteta.

I was under the impression that Sanga was out for sure. Plus I forgot Kos isnt suspended for this.

If we can add another player then a midfielder is def what we need but Cayabe? In the Arteta role? it thought he played further up the pitch

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Owen Coyle called our Gary Cahill bid derisory a few seasons ago, we hear it quite a bit :D
    ... and then proceeded to sell him for even less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

Apparently NUFC want 30m for Cabaye. Hes worth no where near that so we should move on.

iMuse wrote: »
    Apparently NUFC want 30m for Cabaye. Hes worth no where near that so we should move on.

This is goina happen everywhere we turn now. Especially with PL clubs cause most dont need the money now with the new tv money

Not a hope. Sorry Joe and big Mike we're not Liverpool....next

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Reckon it should be Kroenke, still funny though!

wengerbad.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So he's worth more than Fabregas.

Right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

jonny666 wrote: »
    This is goina happen everywhere we turn now. Especially with PL clubs cause most dont need the money now with the new tv money

Southampton spent 36m so far, Spurs have spent about 60m yet Wenger is scouting "24 hours a day" for players and the best he can come up with is Cabaye. Yet we have champions league revenue to spend unlike these clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I'd have thought midfield would be the least of Arsenal's problems no? Defence and a big name striker would be priority I'd have thought.

I don't see Man Utd, Chelsea or City bidding for Cabaye. We just get average players the big teams don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

That_Guy wrote: »
    I'd have thought midfield would be the least of Arsenal's problems no? Defence and a big name striker would be priority I'd have thought.

we're short in a number of positions.

but yeah, defence and attack are at emergency levels too.

complete mismanagement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The real problem, and it's a systematic one, and has been evident from the last few transfer windows, is that bids for new players have been purely reactionary, rather than proactive. The disadvantages of such a strategy are there for all to see. If it is known that I openly need a certain type of player, rather badly, and there is not that much time left to get him, then the bargaining position is weakened signifcantly.

Just how many buys were actually proactive ones, rather than just reactivce, i.e responding to events such as Saturday where the squad is weaker than ever.

Or in January, when Monreal was drafted in following dwindling options in defence?

It doesn't bode well.

Southampton spent 36m so far, Spurs have spent about 60m yet Wenger is scouting "24 hours a day" for players and the best he can come up with is Cabaye. Yet we have champions league revenue to spend unlike these clubs.

I believe he is scouting but what you must understand is we have a team of Kroenkes muppets negotiating for us.

Both Danny Fiszman and David Dein were the men to have in particular Dein who brought his london market stall trader experience to the table :). Both genuine fans and neither afraid to demand investment in the squad. On the other hand, Hill-wood i never had time for. Friar seems a decent sort but too in with the Etonians.

They are but since Arteta's injury midfield seems to have taken priority his value to the team was glaringly obvious against Villa the weekend.
    FearDark wrote: »
    I don't see Man Utd, Chelsea or City bidding for Cabaye. We just get average players the big teams don't want.

I wouldn't call Kondogbia or Pogba average.

They are but since Arteta's injury midfield seems to have taken priority his value to the team was glaringly obvious against Villa the weekend.

I wouldn't call Kondogbia or Pogba average.

I wouldn't call them average either but if I had to bet, we'll get Cabaye instead.

FearDark wrote: »

French international who was very very good at the Euros last year. Chelsea already have Mata who is similar and United probably favour a bid for Cesc or Modric over him (he is as good as Modric if you ask me)

• Advertisement

I wouldn't call them average either but if I had to bet, we'll get Cabaye instead.

I think Pogba will be hard to get near impossible can't see Juventus willing to sell, Cabaye looks like Newcastle are doing the usual EPL route and demanding stupid money 30 million ask my bollocks.

Kondogbia I think we could get and would be a brilliant addition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Regarding the Cabaye bid. Pardew has always said that they'd only sell him if a bid that "blew off the doors" came in. I think he's talking double that Arsenal have offered.

Kinnear is a fúcking clown so disregard anything that loon has to say.

He didn't have the best showing last season. Nor did any of our players but he is a good player on his day. Consistency is what I'd be worried about with him. I think he could thrive under Arsenal but would be more suited to a CDM position. His passing range is superb. He's a bit hot headed though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Monaco apparently bid 12m for Kondogbia today so we can forget about him. If PSG are actually interested in Cabaye we can forget about him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

The problem with leaving all your work this late is that teams can use the "dont have time to replace" excuse and just say no.

Tell you what. We'll give you Dan Gosling for £10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Tell you what. No.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Are you sure you didn't mean plus £10 million?

L'prof wrote: »
    Tell you what. No.
    Are you sure you didn't mean plus £10 million?

You disrupt our match preparation for one of our key players. It's the least you could do. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

French international who was very very good at the Euros last year. Chelsea already have Mata who is similar and United probably favour a bid for Cesc or Modric over him (he is as good as Modric if you ask me)

Ah here. Clutching at straws now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement