Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Arsenal make bids today

" MAD TROLLEY DASH"

Utd make bids today

" DEALS COMING TO FRUITION"

I love the media

That_Guy wrote: »
    Regarding the Cabaye bid. Pardew has always said that they'd only sell him if a bid that "blew off the doors" came in. I think he's talking double that Arsenal have offered.

Kinnear is a fúcking clown so disregard anything that loon has to say.

Yeah 20-22m would probably get him i reckon and i wouldnt balk at that tbh. Anything either side of that range is taking the piss tbh. Now that the borders have been established its time to try work toward the middle.

You talk about Kinnear being a clown though, Pardew isn't far behind him if he is not already well in front of him. A browl of the highest degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

French international who was very very good at the Euros last year. Chelsea already have Mata who is similar and United probably favour a bid for Cesc or Modric over him (he is as good as Modric if you ask me)

Ah here. Cabaye isn't fit to lace his boots. And i'm a Newcastle fan.

Ah here. Clutching at straws now.

Modric aint all that. Cabaye every bit as good though look to be fair i suppose YC hasn't been tested at the highest level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

30 million for Cabaye holy jaysus is Mike Ashley living im cloud cuckoo land??? Just go in for Vidal off Juve, Di Maria off Real, Alderweild off Ajax and Rooney off Utd and I'd be a happy bunny :-)

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Monaco apparently bid 12m for Kondogbia today so we can forget about him. If PSG are actually interested in Cabaye we can forget about him too.

Looks like reports of Monaco's tower of sand falling was well off the mark so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yeah 20-22m would probably get him i reckon and i wouldnt balk at that tbh. Anything either side of that range is taking the piss tbh. Now that the borders have been established its time to try work toward the middle.

You talk about Kinnear being a clown though, Pardew isn't far behind him if he is not already well in front of him. A browl of the highest degree

Pardew doesn't help himself at times but I feel sorry for him regarding transfers. I don't think he's even got a say in what goes on.

He needs to stop making excuses for transfer dealings, or lack of and just focus on employing decent tactics with the current crop of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

4uDTII5.gif

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Big name striker alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IITYWYBMAD

Should bid £10,000,001.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

ey right bid a hundred and one million............what you smokin over there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Gringo180 wrote: »
    30 million for Cabaye holy jaysus is Mike Ashley living im cloud cuckoo land??? Just go in for Vidal off Juve, Di Maria off Real, Alderweild off Ajax and Rooney off Utd and I'd be a happy bunny :-)

Juve apparently turned down a €45m bid for Vidal from Bayern a few months back. And Ronaldo has personally told Real not to sell Di Maria.

Soups123 wrote: »
    ey right bid a hundred and one million............what you smokin over there

Think you've done a Malcolm Allison and counted a zero too many there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Think you've done a Malcolm Allison and counted a zero too many there

What am I smokin over here...............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

IITYWYBMAD wrote: »

SOLD!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Arsenal make bids today

" MAD TROLLEY DASH"

Utd make bids today

" DEALS COMING TO FRUITION"

I love the media

United aren't in crisis.
    United didn't get humiliated on the first day of the season.
    United don't need players as bad as we do.
    United have more of a chance of getting Fellani and Baines than we do of singing anyone of the same quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

FearDark wrote: »
    United aren't in crisis.
    United didn't get humiliated on the first day of the season.
    United don't need players as bad as we do.
    United have more of a chance of getting Fellani and Baines than we do of singing anyone of the same quality.

United have lowballed way more than we did with Suarez. First with Fabregas, now with Baines and Fellaini. We might have badly lost but no doubt the media love to jump on Wengers back just like a lot of trigger friendly Arsenal fans

TheGunns wrote: »
    United have lowballed way more than we did with Suarez. First with Fabregas, now with Baines and Fellaini. We might have badly lost but no doubt the media love to jump on Wengers back just like a lot of trigger friendly Arsenal fans

If I was a Utd fan I'd be fairly confident Utd will go in with a higher bid on the pair of them and probably will try once more for Fabregas too. Why aren't we bidding on these players????

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Trigger friendly Arsenal fans?

No trophies for years.
    Most expensive season tickets in the EPL (mine is over £1400, over double that of my spurs friend).
    Selling the best players to the competition for years.
    Not signing anyone for years.

And now finally had the money to spend, they waste most of the transfer season and start putting derisory bids on players we won't get.

Wenger would have got the door at Chelsea, United, City and probably Spurs and Liverpool by now after the last few years.

And do you know what, the football isn't actually that great anymore compared to the early Wneger years.

If I was a Utd fan I'd be fairly confident Utd will go in with a higher bid on the pair of them and probably will try once more for Fabregas too. Why aren't we bidding on these players????

I wouldn't want Baines and Fellaini will divide people just like Suarez although I'd personally like him.

If Wenger gets the business done then I don't care one bit. Prospect of Kondogbia and Cabaye has me dreaming. It's pretty clear that the weekend's result and injuries are forcing Wenger into action and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more movements soon

• Advertisement

Pudders wrote: »

No trophies for years.
    Most expensive season tickets in the EPL (mine is over £1400, over double that of my spurs friend).

And now finally had the money to spend, they waste most of the transfer season and start putting derisory bids on players we won't get.

Wenger would have got the door at Chelsea, United, City and probably Spurs and Liverpool by now after the last few years.

And do you know what, the football isn't actually that great anymore compared to the early Wneger years.

Wenger isnt getting the door becuase he isnt the real culprit. The real culprits are paying themselves huge salaries because of the commericial deals they are bringing to the club are vindicating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

The same reason we sold Van Persie for "Footballing reasons" i.e... there is no reason. We can offer CL football so I don't see why we shouldn't be after them

I wouldn't want Baines and Fellaini will divide people just like Suarez although I'd personally like him.

If Wenger gets the business done then I don't care one bit. Prospect of Kondogbia and Cabaye has me dreaming. It's pretty clear that the weekend's result and injuries are forcing Wenger into action and I wouldn't be surprised if there's more movements soon

Speaking of movement, experiencing this whole transfer window as an Arsenal fan is akin to having excruciating constipation. To paraphrase Ger Loughnane "We need a laxative" and how soon we need it indeed.

No trophies for years.

No arguing with most of that but if Wenger signs before the end of the window and signs well then I won't give even an ounce of **** that he didn't sign early.

If he manages to sign Kondogbia or Pogba (who we've both apparently inquired about) then I'd be more than happy with a quality player with bags of potential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wenger isnt getting the door becuase he isnt the real culprit. The real culprits are paying themselves huge salaries because of the commericial deals they are bringing to the club are vindicating them.

Have you got anything to back this up? I'm neither anti Wenger or pro Wenger but I think your walking around with a blindfold on regards Wenger and transfers.

Everyone close to the club including the AST say Wenger has way to much control over transfers, there is no one saying the opposite at all.

... and Wenger is the highest paid member of the management team by a country fricking mile too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Ouch, €31.49 a week! Fair play! I've been offered a season ticket 2 years in a row, but even if I lived in London I think I'd have to pass!

Over £1400 for a season ticket is nuts!

Have you got anything to back this up? I'm neither anti Wenger or pro Wenger but I think your walking around with a blindfold on regards Wenger and transfers.

Everyone close to the club including the AST say Wenger has way to much control over transfers, there is no one saying the opposite at all.

I dont tbh but its my inkling. Im not stating it as a matter of fact but i would be willing to bet good money on it. I just find it hard to believe that a manager wouldnt spend funds available to him. This is a man dont forget, who bought the likes of Sol Campbell, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Patrick Vieira and Marc Overmars, to the club.

Its just too bizarre to believe a manager wouldnt spend money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

No trophies for years.

£1400 :eek: That is almost double what I pay for mine at Anfield.

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Ouch, €31.49 a week! Fair play! I've been offered a season ticket 2 years in a row, but even if I lived in London I think I'd have to pass!

If we were pulling out all the stops to compete then fair enough but were selling our best players and have a squad bare in numbers whilst sitting on a pile of cash.

Everyone should hit the bastards in the pocket where it hurts tbh.

Jesus Christ, we've been taken for a ride for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,120 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

L'prof wrote: »
    I wonder would there be enough interest in here for 19 lads to buy a share in a season ticket. or even buy two season tickets so there can be two together. I know I'd be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Quazzie wrote: »
    I wonder would there be enough interest in here for 19 lads to buy a share in a season ticket. or even buy two season tickets so there can be two together. I know I'd be interested.

Not right now, Quazzie. Finding 19 lads that would want to see the kind of crap we saw on Saturday would be hard going.

I honestly think no one should give that club one more penny until they change their mentality.

I dont tbh but its my inkling. Im not stating it as a matter of fact but i would be willing to bet good money on it. I just find it hard to believe that a manager wouldnt spend funds available to him. This is a man dont forget, who bought the likes of Sol Campbell, Thierry Henry, Robert Pires, Patrick Vieira and Marc Overmars, to the club.

Yeh but don't forget all them players were bought in a different time football has moved on a lot from then, actually looking at that list just make's me miss having truly world class players dotted all over the pitch in a Arsenal jersey.

The argument labelled at Wenger is he has all control but has not moved with the time, hence bids like 10 million for Cabye or 6 million for Williams.

6 millions these days will barely get you a championship standard of player.

I just think there is way to man people saying Wenger has to much power at the club and has struggled to adapt to the modern transfer market.

I'd have no problem him staying on as manager if it's all true as long as power of transfers and wages was taken out of his hands,your a manager manage and stop focusing on costs and looking at the books.

That's not a bad idea but the logistics behind it would be a nightmare.

... and Wenger is the highest paid member of the management team by a country fricking mile too.

Well tbf he is there 17 years and has been considerably successful each season given his resources.

David Dein often refers to Wenger as 'a miracle worker who needs help with transfers' and he is a close friend so reading into that i would think it has been the policies of the club combined with lack of funds

I think Wenger is to blame in that he is still looking for that gem for a good price in an inflated market. I don't know how much he actually wants Suarez as it's very untypical of him.

Not a huge amount of available top drawer players around right now, buying a young but quality player is what he should do. Grenier is another who would be a good buy along with Sakho, wouldn't even be able to name a young good striker right now.

If he does the business though then I don't care, and whoever said that we're out of the title race and competing for top 4 only even with signings is bonkers. If Wenger brings in a few players and things go our way we more than have a chance. It's one thing being being unhappy with Wenger and the summer (which I completely understand) but writing the team off already is just silly. In 10/11 that team wasn't a whole lot better than now and they managed to compete well before imploding.

• Advertisement

Well tbf he is there 17 years and has been considerably successful each season given his resources.

David Dein often refers to Wenger as 'a miracle worker who needs help with transfers' and he is a close friend so reading into that i would think it has been the policies of the club combined with lack of funds

Or it could be that David Dein knows Wenger to well and his reluctance to spend hence why he "needs help" ;).

That's not a bad idea but the logistics behind it would be a nightmare.
    It'd be strictly cash up front at the end of the season, for the following season's ticket and then everyone apply for a game that they want/suits them. If more than one person applies (assuming all 19 would apply for the Spurs game) then one person is picked at random. Someone has to be left with the lower teams, but for someone like me that rarely travels that'd be fine and I'd be just happy to see them play. Maybe incentivise the lower teams by giving an option for ECL games too.

Probably a bit of thought to go into it, but it's certainly workable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Including champions league games

The season ticket works out at 38 pound a game

I find that reasonable

I find that reasonable
    Precisely.

There's such an overwhelming amount of evidence at this stage that Wenger is responsible for our transfer and wage policies that I find it incredible that some people still look to shift the blame to Gazidis and the rest (who Wenger chose)... I really can't be arsed getting into it again.

It'd be strictly cash up front at the end of the season, for the following season's ticket and then everyone apply for a game that they want/suits them. If more than one person applies (assuming all 19 would apply for the Spurs game) then one person is picked at random. Someone has to be left with the lower teams, but for someone like me that rarely travels that'd be fine and I'd be just happy to see them play. Maybe incentivise the lower teams by giving an option for ECL games too.

Yeh I'd probably be up for that anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Yup I would definitely be up for it.

Yeh but don't forget all them players were bought in a different time football has moved on a lot from then, actually looking at that list just make's me miss having truly world class players dotted all over the pitch in a Arsenal jersey.

The argument labelled at Wenger is he has all control but has not moved with the time, hence bids like 10 million for Cabye or 6 million for Williams.

6 millions these days will barely get you a championship standard of player.

I just think there is way to man people saying Wenger has to much power at the club and has struggled to adapt to the modern transfer market.

I'd have no problem him staying on as manager if it's all true as long as power of transfers and wages was taken out of his hands,your a manager manage and stop focusing on costs and looking at the books.

I agree with alot of what you say and this is why i think Arsenal really miss David Dein. We just havent the negotiator now on the job with the cop on to close any deal and help Wenger out. We have systematic robots on the job.

Yes the transfer market is a different animal but my point is that Wenger was willing to improve the squad when necessary back then and as the game was a different landscape, he had no problem getting transfers sanctioned. He fought tooth and nail to keep Vieira also for example. He had and always had the same ambition but has had to work within certain means and a changing market certainly these last few seasons.

I agree a manager shouldnt have to worry about the Economic side of things but he has had to unfortunately. We never hired that director of football when Dein left either which was another huge blunder

Or it could be that David Dein knows Wenger to well and his reluctance to spend hence why he "needs help" ;).

When Dein was there, Wenger always spent money year on year so i doubt thats the case. People say Wenger has the power over transfers but at the end of the day its the board of directors who have ultimate power over how much money is spent on who. Wenger is never going to break ranks and publicly criticise the board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

p0IlJMz.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

I find that reasonable

Not sure how you come to that figure.

My season ticket is £1,428.04 - got to love Arsenal needing the 4p!

Your £38 works out at 36 games. We only get 26.

Ok all the league games (home only) 19 and you get the first 7 home cup games (excluding league cup) at home up to semi-final stage.

Sorry for being pedantic but it is £55 if all cup games are achieved but say this year we get knocked out in the qualifier and draw all away matches in the league, that would be 20 tickets at £70 per match.

If arsenal don't get 4th, they will need to reduce season ticket prices significantly or there will be a lot of people passing up.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement