Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Lads the one disappointing thing about Saturday is that the chance of doing another invincible season is gone :( :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

jonny666 wrote: »
    I know but wanting to lose is shocking. Even if we had a squad of championship players is still want them to win and play in te CL.

What would losing do for us. They are reluctant to spend now. Imagine how reluctant they'd be with no CL. It wouldn't open Wengers eyes. And we wouldnt spend 100million the following year. We'd adjust everything down and make a
    Profit from te PL

Again I agree and heard them on t.v.
    From their point of view -

1. We fight for nothing else except 4th annually.
    2. We haven't made a challenge for the actual League title in years.
    3. We are never strong enough to challenge for the CL.
    4. We have the most expensive seats in the country.
    5. The more money the club makes the less it spends.
    6. The fans are being lied to continually.
    7. We continue to sell our best players and even to our competitors.
    8. The standard of football they witness is falling every year.
    9. We can no longer attract big names even if we do bid for them.
    10. They see our rivals strengthening while we stand still or get worse.

I hear their arguments even if I don't agree with them wanting to see us lose but wanting things brought to a head after many barren years I do agree with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

The more this saga goes on the more sympathy I have for rvp. Although I will never condone the way he went about it - I can start to see why he left the club. Lack of ambition seems to be right at the core of the club. I think rvp probably would have stayed at the club under different circumstances but he saw nothing to believe that the club were willing to make the changes necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Lack of ambition seems to be right at the core of the club.

I think we can forget about Rooney being interested in joining us so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

talking to a mate about Cabaye, he's a newcastle fan

"He's been played outta position which is why his form dipped. Great technically, good passer. Great free kicks. Has a temper. Good player"
    TheGunns wrote: »
    If the reports are true then Wenger is looking for a more true DM as well as Cabaye as he's looking at Pogba and Kondogbia. I'm sure there's probably more he's looking at as well

"Should be playing more attacking!! Pardew has him deep kicking long balls to CISSE! Waste of talent"

looks like he's not what we're looking for to rotate with arteta so you are probably right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The only chance we have of getting (a) player/s of the level of Suarez or Rooney is by besting Fenerbache. Not saying such signings will happen but they definitely won't if we don't go through.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

darego wrote: »

"He's been played outta position which is why his form dipped. Great technically, good passer. Great free kicks. Has a temper. Good player"

"Should be playing more attacking!! Pardew has him deep kicking long balls to CISSE! Waste of talent"

looks like he's not what we're looking for to rotate with arteta so you are probably right

I think Wenger sees Ramsey as Arteta's long term successor and cover. If we buy Cabaye he'll play further up the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

If the reports are true then Wenger is looking for a more true DM as well as Cabaye as he's looking at Pogba and Kondogbia. I'm sure there's probably more he's looking at as well

Really hope your right but can't see us signing or why we would sign two cm. The Cabaye bid seems to be getting all the attention maybe it's because of the match tonight or he plays for a club in the premier league.

But sky reporting we enquired about Kondogbia and bid 20 million for Pogba I find much more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

I doubt he'd buy two. Pogba is not a realistic target (Its widely reported in the Italian press that Conte has declared Vidal and Pogba as unsellable). As for Kondogbia, there appears to be a huge amount of clubs chasing him (including Real Madrid) so we'd be lucky to make any headway there.

Tbh, I think Wenger would see Cabaye as someone who could be morphed into a more a holder/deep lying playmaker like he did with Arteta.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think Wenger sees Ramsey as Arteta's long term successor and cover. If we buy Cabaye he'll play further up the field.

Ramsey doesn't have the skill set for that role. It needs to be passer and protector, Ramsey is not both

• Advertisement

But why wasnt he protecting the huge gaping holes in front of the defence on Saturday in that case?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Soups123 wrote: »
    Ramsey doesn't have the skill set for that role. It needs to be passer and protector, Ramsey is not both

I agree, I just get the impression that that's what Wenger has planned for Ramsey though.
    But why wasnt he protecting the huge gaping holes in front of the defence on Saturday in that case?

Because he's not very good in that position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I agree, I just get the impression that that's what Wenger has planned for Ramsey though.

Wenger has an obsession with trying to change players into a new roles possibly steaming from Henry's days

Soups123 wrote: »
    Wenger has an obsession with trying to change players into a new roles possibly steaming from Henry's days

yeah, sometimes it workd of course but often it's just very frustrating. Convinced Arshavin would have worked out if Wenger hadn't insisted on playing him out wide.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We bid yesterday according to David Ornstein.

I wouldn't be too mindful of that. Newcastle play too direct for a deep lying playmaker to succeed (although it's pretty clear that's the way Pardew wants to play, I just dont think he has the tactical nous to make them work).

Because he's not very good in that position.

lol. I think the signs are though that Wenger has given up on that for now, Ramsey has looked his best of late when he's playing the supporting role slightly ahead of but pivoting off the holder. I don't see him dropping Ramsey deeper again anytime soon; Wenger tried him as the head of the trio, then as the holder but I think he's settled on the role Ramsey's playing currently. But then again, you never know with Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Really hope your right but can't see us signing or why we would sign two cm. The Cabaye bid seems to be getting all the attention maybe it's because of the match tonight or he plays for a club in the premier league.

But sky reporting we enquired about Kondogbia and bid 20 million for Pogba I find much more exciting.

Even with the numbers we have in the middle, we're awfully light. Cazorla will probably be an option out wide and Jack can't be trusted to play a full season. Rosicky is the same so 2 CMs I could see along with a defender and striker.

I don't see Pogba as possible really but Kondogbia is definitely within our reach. Madrid don't look terribly interested anymore and PSG/Monaco have gone quiet.

I won't get too excited just yet but I'm glad my patience could pay off with some good signings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

What exactly is disrespectful about the bid? It was made yesterday according to David Ornstein. I would value Cabaye around £15m so bidding £10m is quite low but If we do get him for £15m It would be good business.

Havent seen much of Pogba or Kongodbia but they are both rated very highly. I cant see us signing Cabaye and one of them but It would add great depth to the midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Chelsea 51% possesion Hull 49%
    Chelsea 2-0 comfortable win never looked bothered, barely out of breath, no injuries...

until Arsenal can do the same we wont win much, people wonder why we pick up so many injuries, the players are running around like loolahs going no where stretching into tackles, always physically at the limits during a match.

Soccers moved on, its big physical skillful players, technical and tactically astute, disciplined on the field, Wenger hasnt worked this out yet.
    But dont forget he is French and will not change if everyone tells him to change, his arrogance means he still feels he is justified hiw ridiculous salary . on a financial level he probably is, but as a football manager he is not

Even with the numbers we have in the middle, we're awfully light. Cazorla will probably be an option out wide and Jack can't be trusted to play a full season. Rosicky is the same so 2 CMs I could see along with a defender and striker.

I don't see Pogba as possible really but Kondogbia is definitely within our reach. Madrid don't look terribly interested anymore and PSG/Monaco have gone quiet.

I won't get too excited just yet but I'm glad my patience could pay off with some good signings :D

Sure we have loads of time :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Chelsea 2-0 comfortable win never looked bothered, barely out of breath, no injuries...

Possession stats mean nothing. PSG had 81% the other day and drew 1-1. They were 1 down until the last five minutes too.

On top of that, Chelsea are a better team than us and have been for quite some time, yet we still manage to stick close to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

until Arsenal can do the same we wont win much, people wonder why we pick up so many injuries, the players are running around like loolahs going no where stretching into tackles, always physically at the limits during a match.

Soccers moved on, its big physical skillful players, technical and tactically astute, disciplined on the field, Wenger hasnt worked this out yet.
    But dont forget he is French and will not change if everyone tells him to change, his arrogance means he still feels he is justified hiw ridiculous salary . on a financial level he probably is, but as a football manager he is not

Sorry if this sounds rude but that's an absolutely ridiculous post.

yeah, sometimes it workd of course but often it's just very frustrating. Convinced Arshavin would have worked out if Wenger hadn't insisted on playing him out wide.

Fair point though his attitude was utterly appalling too which didnt help. Ramsey in contrast has at least a good attitude and is doing his best to adapt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Really hope Ramsey isn't seen as artetas replacement. We have no defensive minded midfield player. Even arteta, who is playing that role, isn't one. He is professional and disciplined and does a good job but naturally he is more
    Attack minded. He was a fûcking left winger before arsenal!! If we are to buy a midfielder I hope he is a natural defensive minded player(who can also play a bit of football) and not someone shoehorned into the role.

When we had Song many posters were ridiculing him.

I don't remember people ridiculing him, I do remember folks saying he needed to stop bombing forward all the time and actually protect the back four though. nearly sure you said that yourself at the time tayto :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Ha newcastle and Liverpool fans are very pissed with us, will make it interesting when we have to play them away.

I don't remember people ridiculing him, I do remember folks saying he needed to stop bombing forward all the time and actually protect the back four though. nearly sure you said that yourself at the time tayto :)

I defended him. He scored and created many needed goals by bombing forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

"In a direct conversation with Dick Law, Arsenal’s contract negotiator, it is understood that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley responded to the offer for Cabaye with the words: “Which part of him do you want to buy?”

http://bit.ly/162n5kP

• Advertisement

I never ridiculed him, but did say he wasnt good enough or disciplined enough and I still stand by that ;) just because were short now doesn't mean I'd want a player back I felt was never good enough.

The telegraph also reporting we bid 20 million for Pogba and surprisingly they reckon Juventus might be willing to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I defended him. He scored and created many needed goals by bombing forward.

He was a big loss to the midfield and team. He is tough and a bit of hard man that gave the team toughness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

To think Navas only cost City 15 million, he is going to be some player for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Gringo180 wrote: »
    To think Navas only cost City 15 million, he is going to be some player for them.

looked average tonight imo

I remember Reyes coming out and saying Wenger should sign him back in the day. They were team mates at Seville I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Jeez we are miles behind Chelsea and City squad wise, embarrassing really how **** our squad is

• Advertisement

looked average tonight imo

I thought he was brilliant tonight, never really rated him much but jaysus did he impress me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

liam7831 wrote: »
    Jeez we are miles behind Chelsea and City squad wise, embarrassing really how **** our squad is

we are miles behind those two clubs in terms of squad. but with a bit of luck, and 500 million pounds, we could catch up.

"In a direct conversation with Dick Law, Arsenal’s contract negotiator, it is understood that Newcastle owner Mike Ashley responded to the offer for Cabaye with the words: “Which part of him do you want to buy?”

http://bit.ly/162n5kP

How does the haggling process in football go? I mean i realise were talking in millions but does the buyer not have an upper limit and a lower limit set and then haggle within that range there and then or do they make a single sum offer and go away if its rejected and think about making another?

It seems very slow and tedious like a game of chess but then i suppose there is competition out there and its a case of who blinks first.

I think Ashley's response was correct to be fair. He is worth a bit more. we should have started at 15 at the very least.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    we are miles behind those two clubs in terms of squad. but with a bit of luck, and 500 million pounds, we could catch up.

That's what happens when you neglect the club for so many years. It is going to take years for us to get back to the level we were at when we were winning trophies. We badly need a huge injection of quality players in the team.

The telegraph also saying were monitoring Micah Richards only 1 year left on his contact I'd certainly take him.

Come on Arsenal stop pussy footing around and sign some Fcuking players.

• Advertisement

I thought he was brilliant tonight, never really rated him much but jaysus did he impress me.

Its Jesús god dammit! :P

The telegraph also saying were monitoring Micah Richards only 1 year left on his contact I'd certainly take him.

Always liked Richards. Id take him in a heartbeat

Navas is a bit of a gamble. The player struggled from homesickness quite badly up until the last couple of years. That's why clubs were reluctant to bid big for him as far as I know.

Please let a signing be a goal keeper I cant watch another match were Chesney makes a complete tit of himself, he is a ticking time bomb.

Straight into the team at centre back alongside Kos. Very under rated player Richards is would much rather him over Williams who I dont rate that highly.

We have 5/6 players injured and are in severe trouble. Yet when City or United had more players injured they were still very strong.
    We are doing things Arseways it seems.

That's what happens when you neglect the club for so many years. It is going to take years for us to get back to the level we were at when we were winning trophies. We badly need a huge injection of quality players in the team.

we do gringo, but with respect, City and Chelsea are total anomalies, both clubs have spent in or around 500 million quid more than arsenal. thats frankly a ridiculous amount of money. Abramovic's money is dirty money, stolen, whatever spin one wants to put on it. At the moment i'm as livid with wenger as anyone but we've earned our money. not stolen it. so i'm pleased with that.

It's just the problem is we won't ****ing spend it :)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    we do gringo, but with respect, City and Chelsea are total anomalies, both clubs have spent in or around 500 million quid more than arsenal. thats frankly a ridiculous amount of money. Abramovic's money is dirty money, stolen, whatever spin one wants to put on it. At the moment i'm as livid with wenger as anyone but we've earned our money. not stolen it. so i'm pleased with that.

It's just the problem is we won't ****ing spend it :)
    I don't think Chelsea fans have two ****s when they were lifting the European cup to be honest!

I don't think Chelsea fans have two ****s when they were lifting the European cup to be honest!

it would defo take the shine off it for me personally.

Pardew basically blaming arsenal for loosing, can't wait till he's sacked, sounds harsh but he really hates arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement