Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm not sure what he's on at Liverpool but I've seen reports saying we will offer him 150k a week.

His last contract put him in the top5 earners at the club so he is definitely on more than 100k pw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Leiva wrote: »
    His last contract put him in the top5 earners at the club so he is definitely on more than 100k pw

He wants champs league. There was a lot of other nonsense about the english press hounding him for his indiscretions and how he had to move for his family, but essentially he wants to play champions league.

The money won't be the deciding factor. He might be able to force a sale if he makes it too uncomfortable for Liverpool to keep him. That said, that won't do much for his cries of press invasion. He would become pantomime villain no.1 if he ranted his way out.

Sale to Spain or Italy is more likely. Possibly in Jan depending on which high profile team needs to gamble on a goal scorer. To Arsenal with 3 yrs on the contract doesn't make sense. Only silly money would swing it but i can't see Wenger braking records for his nibbleness-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

well if suarez wants to go, and hands in a request and real madrid buy bale - then with nobody else(publicly) in for him and madrid out of cash , it could be on the cards ....

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

We as football fans are somewhat conditioned to focus on transfer fees but the wages these days are often equal if not bigger than the transfer itself.

How much Suarez would want in wages could have a significant impact on negotiations between the two clubs. £150,000 a week isn't a huge amount to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What's the Arsenal cap? I get the impression its not very high (but that the club do pay over the odds wages-wise for their "average players")

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I would think 150k is the max, doubt anyone is currently on that

blingrhino wrote: »
    well if suarez wants to go, and hands in a request and real madrid buy bale - then with nobody else(publicly) in for him and madrid out of cash , it could be on the cards ....

City will have a say in all of this I'm convinced of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We as football fans are somewhat conditioned to focus on transfer fees but the wages these days are often equal if not bigger than the transfer itself.

How much Suarez would want in wages could have a significant impact on negotiations between the two clubs. £150,000 a week isn't a huge amount to be honest.

150k is plenty, I'd be happy to get half that :D
    It would make hime the top earner at the club.

This is foolish from Arsenal. Look at the lads record with his previous 3 clubs, there is zero loyalty and he does all he can to get out of his contracts. He is quality but he's not a very upstanding chap and Arsenal will be in the same position as Liverpool are now in less than 3 years. Not worth the headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

mike65 wrote: »
    What's the Arsenal cap? I get the impression its not very high (but that the club do pay over the odds wages-wise for their "average players")

At the moment it's thought Podolski is the highest paid player but once again Gazidis at the Q&A said we could afford to pay the wages of big players now so what kind of wages he had in mind is anyone's guess.

I'd say Walcott or Podolski are the top earners now, but any big signing will be on substantially more.

Suarez for £55m on £150,000k a week on a 5 year deal costs the same annually as Rooney for £30m (is that what Chelsea last bid?) on £220,000 a week on a 4 year deal. Which would you rather?

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    This is foolish from Arsenal. Look at the lads record with his previous 3 clubs, there is zero loyalty and he does all he can to get out of his contracts. He is quality but he's not a very upstanding chap and Arsenal will be in the same position as Liverpool are now in less than 3 years. Not worth the headache.
    I don’t see the big problem here; we could sell him and buy someone else.

We need quality in the team now and we need to change the Arsenal-are-ambitionless-penny-pinchers narrative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'd say Walcott or Podolski are the top earners now, but any big signing will be on substantially more.

Suarez for £55m on £150,000k a week on a 5 year deal costs the same annually as Rooney for £30m (is that what Chelsea last bid?) on £220,000 a week on a 4 year deal. Which would you rather?

Rooney wouldn't give as much hassle but Suarez would be a better player for Arsenal. Not a fan of Rooneys but I'd take him before Suarez.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

http://www.football.co.uk/arsenal/wenger_has_outsmarted_us_all_rss4345532.shtml

I still think the clubs PR department are behind all these media transfer stories! :D

Ever had the feeling you've been conned, as a famous Gooner resident of Finsbury Park once said :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I don’t see the big problem here; we could sell him and buy someone else.

We need quality in the team now and we need to change the Arsenal-are-ambitionless-penny-pinchers narrative.

Exactly. I don't think that if we were to get Suarez that suddenly all would be forgiven and he'd be an angel. He'd still be quite likely try and leave us in a similar way he's done before and is seemingly doing now. However he would add greatly on the footballing quality of the team and as a club we need a big statement signing to get the wheels in motion as it were for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

jester77 wrote: »
    Rooney wouldn't give as much hassle but Suarez would be a better player for Arsenal. Not a fan of Rooneys but I'd take him before Suarez.

completely disagree. Suarez will score hatfuls of goals for Arsenal. Which is why Liverpool would be bonkers to sell him to us. Rooney I feel would b1tch and moan. He's done it at united, who are more ambitious and successful than arsenal. he'd definately be a moaner at the emirates! not to mention his suspect physical condition and attitude to training. He's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

higuain holding a napoli jersey. i feel sick! knew this would happen, i think it's time to stay out of all the arsenal transfer speculation from now on because i can't take it anymore :(

https://twitter.com/SSCNapoliSWE/status/360043673334980610/photo/1

would have took higuain for 33.5~35 mil over suarez any day of the week

I'm not a huge fan of Suarez but tbh he's the best available and he would take us to the next level on his own. Wouldn't be worried about him leaving either, just need him to take us up higher to attract better players and then sell him on. Couldn't see him being at Arsenal for more than a year or two and that would be enough in my books and we would probably make a decent chunk of the fee back if not all

The other thing going for Suarez over Rooney is that he'd likely have more sell-on value if things started to go wrong, and if things really went wrong, he'd easier to shift as he'd be on lower wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If Suarez scores 30+ goals a season for us then we would make a decent amount on him if he tried to force a transfer in a couple of seasons like he is doing to Liverpool, providing we get him on a long term contract and he doesn't maul anyone to death during a match :)

This really all depends on Madrid and whether they are going to launch a massive bid for Bale from Spurs. If they aren't then Suarez is wearing White in La Liga next season.

Yeah, a lot depends on Real's intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Suarez is in top form in his career though compared to Rooney. Both relative risks but I think Suarez delivers when he's on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hig going to Napoli just shows what a useless shower we have running our club. Now it's Suarez or bust.

FFS :mad:

Quazzie wrote: »
    Hig going to Napoli just shows what a useless shower we have running our club. Now it's Suarez or bust.

Well, obviously Wenger has decided he wants Suarez instead.

It's a sequence of events which could screw Arsenal.
    The Higuain money coming in will give Real the cash to bid for Suarez if they want him.

JPA wrote: »
    The Higuain money coming in will give Real the cash to bid for Suarez if they want him.

Why does anyone think they want Suarez:confused:. The have not made one bid or done there usual public displays of affection towards Suarez everything is saying there after Bale and Bale only they have given no inclination they have any interest in Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Aren't Madrid normally far more vocal about their targets than this? I've seen countless links and comments about Bale, they've said nothing about Suarez. Maybe they just aren't interested..

edit: Marty got there first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I don't get this. Real are the biggest club in the world with the highest revenues. They always had the money.

If trying to do a risk/reward on both Suarez and Rooney then Suarez is your man hands down.

Even with all the 'baggage' Suarez won't let you down.

Rooney has the waft of a man on the top of the hasbeen slide.

Real acted the maggot when dealing with us. They upped the fee from what they were initially looking for. Part of me is glad we walked away at that stage. Any skilled striker will do well with the types of player we have to supply them. Suarez would be a great signing for us, he would be an ideal one without the baggage but life isn't perfect. I do feel for the Liverpool fans as we went through this last year with the dutch git!

• Advertisement

Why does anyone think they want Suarez:confused:. The have not made one bid or done there usual public displays of affection towards Suarez everything is saying there after Bale and Bale only they have given no inclination they have any interest in Suarez.

Maybe they won't bid but they likely need a new striker to replace Higuain and they don't normally do cheap or low profile signings.
    Suarez has made some comments about Real so whether that is wishful thinking on his part or Real have contacted his agent I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

gandalf wrote: »
    Real acted the maggot when dealing with us. They upped the fee from what they were initially looking for. Part of me is glad we walked away at that stage. Any skilled striker will do well with.the types of player we have to supply them. Suarez would be a great signing for us, he would be an ideal one without the baggage be life isn't perfect. I do feel for the Liverpool fans as we went through this last year with the dutch git!
    We started at 30M for Suarez and will be lucky to get away with 50M. That's a 20M rise but we couldn't rise 7M for Higuain? I don't think they moved the posts, I think Arsenal just went in with a figure in mind, agreed terms with the player and then Real told them the real figure, and Arsenal baulked at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

mike65 wrote: »
    Grand, but in that 8 years, two months and...etc Liverpool have been in two Champions League finals, (a Europa League semi final), two FA Cup finals and a League Cup final, winning two trophies. Yes the in the Top 4 Cup Arsenal are kings of doing just enough recently but that's not so much to blow one trumpet about. Really.

wow so sickened wish we had brendan rodgers, a **** stadium, a completly misguided self importance and an irrational hate of howard webb instead.

coming in here with your little rant about your absolutely septic recent success for what reason?

2 sets of fans go on about our trophies or the lack of and they are Spurs and Liverpool. Spurs whatever. Liverpool are just partaking in a game they left the moment they thought hiring KIIIIIING kenny would save them bcause he has the SHANKLY SPIRIT!!!!

midtable where ya belong.

I want that little ****er' now.

Maybe they won't bid but they likely need a new striker to replace Higuain and they don't normally do cheap or low profile signings.
    Suarez has made some comments about Real so whether that is wishful thinking on his part or Real have contacted his agent I don't know.

They don't really need a new striker though they could do a Barca easily and play without a front man or put Ronaldo up there if they get Bale, add that to Ico, Ozil , Ronaldo, Kaka, Benzema & Di Maria that alone is enough to frighten the be jasus out of most teams.

They have given nothing to show they are even in the market for a CF, yes if they go for him Suarez would obviously prefer them as a destination but as of yet they not even sniffed around much like a lot of other clubs who would be seen as a better destination, so right now were in the driving seat.

Suarez is a far riskier option than Higuain, but hes probably the better option

Don't want to get too excited before they pull the plug on this Suarez deal :o

We started at 30M for Suarez and will be lucky to get away with 50M. That's a 20M rise but we couldn't rise 7M for Higuain? I don't think they moved the posts, I think Arsenal just went in with a figure in mind, agreed terms with the player and then Real told them the real figure, and Arsenal baulked at it.

As said earlier in the thread it appears Wenger wants Suarez more than Higuain. When Madrid upped their price he said feck it lets go after Suarez instead I assume.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

wow so sickened wish we had brendan rodgers, a **** stadium, a completly misguided self importance and an irrational hate of howard webb instead.

coming in here with your little rant about your absolutely septic recent success for what reason?

2 sets of fans go on about our trophies or the lack of and they are Spurs and Liverpool. Spurs whatever. Liverpool are just partaking in a game they left the moment they thought hiring KIIIIIING kenny would save them bcause he has the SHANKLY SPIRIT!!!!

midtable where ya belong.

I want that little ****er' now.

I think you will find most liverpool fans don't give a **** about Arsenal. There is no rivalry there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

On a positive note we can all maybe agree on...

I had genuine concerns before this summer that Kronke would be happy to finish fourth every year and take as much money out of the club as he wanted.

Regardless of who we end up with, at least the era of austerity/stadium building is coming to an end and we seemingly have an owner who wants us to compete and doesn't mind overspending a bit to get us the big signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

niallo27 wrote: »
    I think you will find most liverpool fans don't give a **** about Arsenal. There is no rivalry there.

Likewise, I like Liverpool. Wonder why?

gosplan wrote: »
    On a positive note we can all maybe agree on...

I had genuine concerns before this summer that Kronke would be happy to finish fourth every year and take as much money out of the club as he wanted.

Regardless of who we end up with, at least the era of austerity/stadium building is coming to an end and we seemingly have an owner who wants us to compete and doesn't mind overspending a bit to get us the big signings.
    You're taking the piss yeah?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Liverpool are a handy 6 pts every season since about 1990

They're a great bunch of lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So I think the reason we're putting so much "effort" into signing Suarez is because we know we won't get him. Go to £45m, get turned down, and then say "we tried". The problem with pursuing Higuain was that we might have actually got him and had to pay money. This way, we don't have to spend.

Yeah its cynicism of the highest order, but its what the club have reduced us to.

FearDark wrote: »

Fancy having a guess at how many times we've beaten them in both league games in a season since the start of the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No matter how **** Liverpool have being playing they always seemed to cause trouble for us in games down through the years so i wouldn't be saying handy 6 points every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Gotta love dumbass comments like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You might want to google that one and retract your post lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

ffs cop on to yourself will ya mike?

Arsenal finished 12 points ahead of ye in the league last year. That's the only stat you should be concerned about.

Sure *ye aint even the biggest team in ye're own city now :o

*Im presuming you're a 'pool fan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nobody in the PL takes Liverpool for granted, even if they aren't The team they once were. I always look forward to the games with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

not gone on suarez myself to be honest. for the amount of money we're (supposedly) willing to spend - I think we need someone a little bit more stable.

just imagine if we get him and he turns out to be a total psycho that wants out after 6 months? we could lose our trousers and wenger will never spend a penny again.

arseblog today sums up my thoughts perfectly

http://arseblog.com/2013/07/suarez-40000001-00-and-all-that/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Nobody in the PL takes Liverpool for granted, even if they aren't The team they once were. I always look forward to the games with them.

I hate when Arsenal play at Anfield, it always feels to me like the 'pool have a big game up their sleeve when they're at home

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement