Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Soups123 wrote: »
    I agree I think he is going to the most expensive flop ever, I just don't see him getting to that level.

Great business again by Levi

I do think he's a special talent, I do see him been one of the best players in the world. He would make it at any level, don't agree with you that he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looper007 wrote: »
    I do think he's a special talent, I do see him been one of the best players in the world. He would make it at any level, don't agree with you that he won't.

There will be so much pressure on him at that price, he is a young lad could have waited another year or so, I just don't think it will end well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Soups123 wrote: »
    There will be so much pressure on him at that price, he is a young lad could have waited another year or so, I just don't think it will end well

La Liga right now is worse than the height of the SPL's duopoly inequality. He'll tear apart defences a lot easier than he did in the Premier League. Never been an easier time for goalscorers for Real or Barca to increase their goal tallies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

danlen wrote: »
    He's no improvement on what we have already though imo.

He most certainly is an improvement on what we have, because we don't have anything Giroud is the only striker we have upto EPL standards nevermind top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Arda Turan's agent Ahmet Bulut has confirmed that Arsenal and Liverpool are both interested in the Atletico Madrid winger.

"Atletico Madrid do not want to sell Arda. However, if his €24m minimum release clause is activated then they will have to listen to offers," he said.

"A transfer to the Premier League is likely. There are a few clubs interested. Liverpool is one and Arsenal another. There have been no concrete offers but two clubs have spoken about wages."

Stolen from the Liverpool thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

gosplan wrote: »
    Yup. English football is obsessed with the notion of a tough tackling defensive midfielder.

Its not only English football who is obsessed with it, if you look at Europe's top teams most have a DMF. Busquets for Barca, Alonso and Khedira for Real, Vidal for Juve, De Jong for Milan, Javi Martinez for Bayern, all players have one thing in common and that is they are great at breaking play up and aren't shy of a tackle. All of the big clubs in England deploy a proper DMF as do all of the top European clubs as well as the top International teams. These type of players are key to success in any team in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Interesting stat -

Man City won 4 -- 0 with 63% possession.
    Arsenal lost 3 -- 1 at home with 64% possession.

So where did we go wrong? Defence or midfield? Maybe just missing Arteta?

We need a good DM urgently

slingerz wrote: »
    What makes it worse for Arsenal fans is that london rivals spurs are really splashing the cash this summer

Sky reporting that Newcastle officials think we are not serious about Cabaye but just trying to appease our fans. Time will tell.

Interesting stat -

IMO a couple of individual errors in midfield/defence, Rosicky missing 2 sitters and a severe lack of luck. I know we all want to go into meltdown and its alright to say that with transfers it wouldn't have happened, but my god was it unlucky!

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    i'd expect - if fit - 9 of the 11 that started on saturday with cazorla & podolski starting instead of chamberlain & rosicky

and in CL news; fenerbache's CAS case is being heard on the 21st & 22nd with a decision expected on the 28th, the day after the second leg
    UEFA have are apparently undecided with what to do should the go through & have their ban upheld

All injured players from Sat bar Chamberlain took part in training which is very good news.
    Now despite all our failings lets get behind them tomorrow and Sat.
    My problem is not with the team (apart from Walcott who hid when needed last Sat) but with the Board and management.

Come on you Gunners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Interesting stat -

AdamD wrote: »
    IMO a couple of individual errors in midfield/defence, Rosicky missing 2 sitters and a severe lack of luck. I know we all want to go into meltdown and its alright to say that with transfers it wouldn't have happened, but my god was it unlucky!

I was at the match on Saturday, and now, having had a few days to cool off after it it really did boil down to a lack of Arteta. Bad luck played it's part, but even then we would at least drawn that game if Arteta was on the field.

When Ramsey and Wilshere took the ball off defence they immediately made forward runs instead of looking to offer the short option like Arteta does. Think of how Cazorla lost the ball for the second. Not only did he have to drop too deep to the receive the ball, but when he came under pressure in our own half, he didn't really have any one near him he could pass too. This happened quite often. And any time Agbonlahor got space when he was running, it was because he had cut inside to the space Arteta would usually have occupied.

Looking back on Saturday, cover for Arteta should really be our priority in the window at the moment.

I was at the match on Saturday, and now, having had a few days to cool off after it it really did boil down to a lack of Arteta. Bad luck played it's part, but even then we would at least drawn that game if Arteta was on the field.

When Ramsey and Wilshere took the ball off defence they immediately made forward runs instead of looking to offer the short option like Arteta does. Think of how Cazorla lost the ball for the second. Not only did he have to drop too deep to the receive the ball, but when he came under pressure in our own half, he didn't really have any one near him he could pass too. This happened quite often. And any time Agbonlahor got space when he was running, it was because he had cut inside to the space Arteta would usually have occupied.

Looking back on Saturday, cover for Arteta should really be our priority in the window at the moment.

Exactly. A good DM urgently needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Next 2 weeks will be very exciting, I predict a lot of anger in this thread from both Arsenal and other fans though :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think this means they'll be fit at least:

screen-shot-2013-08-20-at-15-04-47.png

Kondogbia close to joining Monaco, according to ESPN.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some. Or in our case, you win a free transfer player and you lose all your summer targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

He's not got sparkling pace but is more clinical then Giroud. I think we need a step above that someone who will put the fear of god up all the defences.

should really try sign that van persie guy united have...real talent him

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Popping up all over the shop we're going to bid for Casillas.

Mickeroo wrote: »

Ambitious but never going to happen smokescreen to temporarily appease fans. Just sign Begovic.

Depp wrote: »
    should really try sign that van persie guy united have...real talent him

4 million pound bid straight away :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

No wonder Theo is fit, he done sweet F.A. on Saturday.

The guy cant even take a bleedin' corner kick. He's taking the piss.
    If so many other things hadn't gone wrong for the arsenal on Saturday Theo would have gotten a roasting for that performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

as a pool fan its blatantly obvious that your keeper aint up to it .. a quality keeper who is attainable i would imagine (i know he played 1st game of season ahead of him) is diego lopez of real madrid.. watch every madrid n barca game last year and when he took possesion of the jersey he owned it..

i know casillias and jose didnt see eye to eye,i cant see iker,or diego being happy to sit on bench,so 1 should be availible for transfer,both are top quality.

or begovic, he's been quality for a few seasons ,so is no 1 season wonder.

Nah bad influence at Madrid, we need professionals you can look up too. A great GK but his mouth has lost him his place in their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I was at the match on Saturday,

Well done for being there and supporting the team.

What was it like before, during and after the match?

barone wrote: »
    as a pool fan its blatantly obvious that your keeper aint up to it .. a quality keeper who is attainable i would imagine (i know he played 1st game of season ahead of him) is diego lopez of real madrid.. watch every madrid n barca game last year and when he took possesion of the jersey he owned it..

i know casillias and jose didnt see eye to eye,i cant see iker,or diego being happy to sit on bench,so 1 should be availible for transfer,both are top quality.

or begovic, he's been quality for a few seasons ,so is no 1 season wonder.

I'd go for Begovic myself, a Premiership good keeper. No trouble from him plus he's a lot younger then casillias.

Nah bad influence at Madrid, we need professionals you can look up too. A great GK but his mouth has lost him his place in their team.

He's been there a long time, there's a group of players who like to throw their weight around if they don't agree with the manager or get their way etc. He wouldn't have that kind of situation at arsenal so it wouldn't be an issue imo. I don't really think he'd come here though tbh.

According to Daily Mail we are considering a bid of £8m for Casillas.

Yeah, £8m. We're going to try invest the same amount of money we got for Gervinho to Iker Casillas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Tim Krul probably wouldn't be a bad option either, but Pardew would throw himself off the top of Sports Direct before selling to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Corvo wrote: »
    Tim Krul probably wouldn't be a bad option either, but Pardew would throw himself off the top of Sports Direct before selling to Arsenal.

Bonus :)

He's been there a long time, there's a group of players who like to throw their weight around if they don't agree with the manager or get their way etc. He wouldn't have that kind of situation at arsenal so it wouldn't be an issue imo. I don't really think he'd come here though tbh.

His wife is a big star on TV and She's a big earner too, so I doubt he leave Spain.

• Advertisement

Corvo wrote: »

Don't think Pardew has a say in those kinds of things tbh. According to Arseblog Wenger and Kinnear are really good friends too. If we're going bargain bin Krul, Cabaye and Ben Arfa wouldn't be a bad bit of business and it would really piss off Pardew.

Are there any logistical reasons why Flamini can't be in the squad for tomorrow night? Ie. Max clubs played for in a season etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Are there any logistical reasons why Flamini can't be in the squad for tomorrow night? Ie. Max clubs played for in a season etc.
    Him not being signed would be a bit of an issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

a squad had to be registered about a week ago for the games

Him not being signed would be a bit of an issue
    Good point though it could be gotten around
    a squad had to be registered about a week ago for the games

We can register 1 more player by 11pm tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its not only English football who is obsessed with it, if you look at Europe's top teams most have a DMF. Busquets for Barca, Alonso and Khedira for Real, Vidal for Juve, De Jong for Milan, Javi Martinez for Bayern, all players have one thing in common and that is they are great at breaking play up and aren't shy of a tackle. All of the big clubs in England deploy a proper DMF as do all of the top European clubs as well as the top International teams. These type of players are key to success in any team in my opinion.

I agree with you sort of,

My point is that only in England would Scott Parker win player of the year. Yes he runs around and tackles a lot but he doesn't do nearly enough for the team because he's not a good enough footballer. Hence he couldn't cut it at Chelsea or Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Well done for being there and supporting the team.

What was it like before, during and after the match?

Before the match, everything was a bit low key. The mood was optimistic, but not really overtly so.

The match itself was great up until the first Villa goal. Fans were in good mood (loads of na-na-na Giroud :)) and the players were confident. Then everything turned, the mood of the fans fed the frustrations of the players and vice versa. Didn't help that the Villa fans near us were constantly taunting the home support as the game went on, really wound up the fans further. Going into the last fifteen minutes everything just felt sour.

Leaving, there were some extremely pissed off fans. Saw a handful having to be restrained by the stewards. It was hard not to feel the deflation after the result, you'd think we lost a cup final.

Is he any use? did he play well for Milian? cause he didn't look much when anytime he played for Milian in the CL.

We can register 1 more player by 11pm tonight

where did you get that from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

screen-shot-2013-08-20-at-15-04-47.png

i don't know what it is, but ive never warmed to walcott at all. he seems like a decent enough and articulate lad but a bit full of himself at times. perhaps it's that "signing the contract" celebration for one of his goal or his infuriating inconsistency that's the main reason for it.

I know we have to rush injured players back for tomorrow night's game but I seriously hope we don't make any lingering injuries worse by doing so.

Before the match, everything was a bit low key. The mood was optimistic, but not really overtly so.

The match itself was great up until the first Villa goal. Fans were in good mood (loads of na-na-na Giroud :)) and the players were confident. Then everything turned, the mood of the fans fed the frustrations of the players and vice versa. Didn't help that the Villa fans near us were constantly taunting the home support as the game went on, really wound up the fans further. Going into the last fifteen minutes everything just felt sour.

Leaving, there were some extremely pissed off fans. Saw a handful having to be restrained by the stewards. It was hard not to feel the deflation after the result, you'd think we lost a cup final.

I heard fans where fighting among themselves, I bet Wenger or the Board won't like hearing that. I think it's the fact it's going to end up "same **** different season". No signings, Major dip's, finish 4th by the skin of our teeth and winning sweet F all. It's depressing.

Is he any use? did he play well for Milian? cause he didn't look much when anytime he played for Milian in the CL.
    No idea but he was always a hard worker and willing to protect the back 4 and not venture to far forward which we are currently missing and would be handy for the away leg.
    where did you get that from?

Was all over twitter last night:

DC ‏@DLDN22 19 Aug
    We can register one additional player by 11pm CET tomorrow for our squad I believe. Maybe @LittleDutchVA can clarify?

I do remember a few more people saying it, could be a rumour of course but seems legit.

Was all over twitter last night:

DC ‏@DLDN22 19 Aug
    We can register one additional player by 11pm CET tomorrow for our squad I believe. Maybe @LittleDutchVA can clarify?

I do remember a few more people saying it, could be a rumour of course but seems legit.

seemed more like wishful thinking tbh

but it is true
    18.14 For the three qualifying rounds and the play-offs, a club may register a
    maximum of one new eligible player on List A after the above-mentioned
    deadlines, provided the quota of locally trained players is respected. Such
    registration must be completed by 24.00 CET on the day before the relevant
    first-leg match and the club’s association must confirm in writing that the new
    player is eligible to play at domestic level at this time.
    http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/competitions/Regulations/01/94/62/34/1946234_DOWNLOAD.pdf bottom of page 28

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

tim payton from the AST talking about everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mK6kPTtio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

G1032 wrote: »
    I don't know. It's very strange. The last reserve Spanish keeper we bought didn't work out too well

He is meant to be a brilliant keeper a keeper Barcelona have been keeping an eye on and is very highly rated in Spain, as I saw someone say last night Casillas was on the bench for Real Madrid don't make him a bad keeper ;).
    Is that Pogba of Juventus, why would he come to us? He's winning leagues in Italy, has a better chance of winning CL's at Juventus. Plus he only joined them last summer. I don't buy that one at all.

No rumours as of yet.

Because apparently they are willing to listen to offer according to reports and Pogba himself is said to be on a terrible wage one we could easily improve upon a wage so bad it would take him over a month to earn what we pay Bendtner a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,967 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Reports on Twitter say Arsenal have put in a bid for Levy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Doesnt really do us any good considering the squad is already gone. Highly doubt they will have someone fly out to turkey later this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

:D
    darego wrote: »
    tim payton from the AST talking about everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5mK6kPTtio

Patience eh?

What an inspid little twerp he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

:D

Patience eh?

What an inspid little twerp he is.

Why? That's a ridiculous statement. Did you even watch the video?

He said patience at the begining of the summer when he like many thought we were going to do the business. The amount of people jumping on his back is plain stupid and doesn't shine a light favourably on a lot of fans.

The end of the day he is a fan and a member of the AST who want's nothing but the best for the club.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement