Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I seen said quotes but I'll wait till I see it in full it can be very easy to manipulate with snippets.

I seen another post that said Dembele and Holtby would get into our starting eleven, get a grip. Over who, because no way they would be ahead of Arteta, Wilshere or Cazorla.

Probably right on Loris and Vertonghen though but sure he wasnt up for a challenge and signed for Spurs.

Hey Spurs fan here please forgive my intrusion :-)

I think your being harsh on Dembele there as man for man imo he is better than Ramsey, Arteta, Wilshire & the only man anyway close is Santi who I wish we had signed..

Holtby is a kid still learning his feet is about same level as Ramsey atm sadly but time is on his side & he is a nice squad option for the Europa Lg..:cool:

& Jan was another class signing that got away from Wenger as seemingly he only wanted to be a CB & Arsene had plans to use him mainly as a LB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,475 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So Chamberlain tweeted he hopes to be back in 3 months hours after Wenger said it would be 6 weeks.

There is a constant flow of lies from the club and Wenger it needs to stop.

Lies to pretend we might not need cover. Same ole same ole. Nothing going to change it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live
    chat about arsenal at half 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Wenger has got very irritable. I think it's because he has been caught out. He made a howler in not buying early and can't take it now. he has been found out by the media and he's angry at that.

Man the fcuk up Arsene, admit your mistakes and get on with rectifying them.

Why should he admit them and over-inflate further transfer prices? The second part of the sentence I agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Dembele is a class player and would get into any midfield in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

If we were picking a Spuds midfielder I'd take Sandro.

greendom wrote: »
    Why should he admit them and over-inflate further transfer prices? The second part of the sentence I agree with.

Do you think nobody knows he's late buying?
    Everyone knows what's going on. He's fooling nobody.
    He owes the fans an apology.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Dembele is a class player and would get into any midfield in the PL.
    AdamD wrote: »
    If we were picking a Spuds midfielder I'd take Sandro.

ENOUGH! :pac:

No more talk about the spuds! If there is one thing worse then hearing negativity about Arsenal its hearing positivity about them :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

So Chamberlain tweeted he hopes to be back in 3 months hours after Wenger said it would be 6 weeks.

There is a constant flow of lies from the club and Wenger it needs to stop.

Did he not say at least six weeks or maybe six weeks? I can't fully remember but I don't think 6 weeks was a timeline from memory

• Advertisement

oh i hate them tG.

I hate them with a passion.

Do you think nobody knows he's late buying?
    Everyone knows what's going on. He's fooling nobody.
    He owes the fans an apology.

As I said the other day, North Korea probably haven't the levels of secrecy that Arsenal have and id say there is probably a better chance of getting an apology off Kim Jong Un while we're at it.

TheGunns wrote: »
    Did he not say at least six weeks or maybe six weeks? I can't fully remember but I don't think 6 weeks was a timeline from memory

He came out with this rubbish --

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23774818

"At least 6 weeks" could be 9 months if his past 6 weeks is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

FFS

I come in and read 10 pages about how amazing Spurs new signings are.

To be honest, if you're that into them, then go support them.

Otherwise, can we stop bringing up how amazingly brilliantly they've bought and how all the players linked with them are so fantastic and should be signed by us.

It seems to me that basically, people want us to have signed all the players that spurs did because then it'd be easier to say 'nah nah, we're still better than you'.

Fcuking Soldado! An ageing player who failed at the top level. He had one good season in a division where defenses are so weak that goalscoring records are simply being obliterated in a way never seen before. But at the same time Giroud gets no credit for being top scorer in France and having a really good first season in England. Plus he's younger and handsomer.

ARgh. I can feel the rage coming.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK SSSSSSPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRSSSSSSSS

anyone listening to 5 live now?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live

In fairness, hearing his quotes on 5live isn't half as bad as the snippets posted here.

• Advertisement

In fairness, hearing his quotes on 5live isn't half as bad as the snippets posted here.

agree totally.

Didn't hear it.
    Do you think he'll buy anyone Adam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gosplan wrote: »
    FFS

Otherwise, can we stop bringing up how amazingly brilliantly they've bought and how all the players linked with them are so fantastic and should be signed by us.

It seems to me that basically, people want us to have signed all the players that spurs did because then it'd be easier to say 'nah nah, we're still better than you'.

lemonoftroy.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

FFS

It's called sheer frustration.
    None of us here would ever support that lot.
    Calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

********************EXCLUSIVE*******************

Arsene unveils 5 new signings.

245c48n.jpg

:pac:

• Advertisement

Didn't hear it.
    Do you think he'll buy anyone Adam?

Somebody, but no more than 3, and we'd be lucky at that.

dont like this tim payton guy

Kirby wrote: »
    lemonoftroy.jpg

...and this is the stuff that's most annoying.

Bitter over what? another 'POWERSHIFT IN NORTH LONDON'

If Spurs do well this season, it'll be down to a good manager and chairman.

But bitter over signings. I'm about as bitter now as last year when they signed Ade, Dempsey, Holtby, Siggurdsson blah blah blah.

Bad form of Cabaye if he pulled himself out of a game because he wasn't in the right frame of mind. In that sense i can see why Pardew was pissed off but its still not our fault so his bone to pick is with Cabaye and not us only of course he'll molly coddle him and handle him with kid gloves. This is the work of Cabaye's agent and so was Cabaye pulling out of the squad.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    ********************EXCLUSIVE*******************

Arsene unveils 5 new signings.

:pac:

All small, young and light with great futures ahead of them :)

Raf32 wrote: »
    dont like this tim payton guy

Why?
    Somebody needed to spell out the problems because they have been there for a long time now and not dealt with.

Why?
    Somebody needed to spell out the problems because they have been there for a long time now and not dealt with.

not just tonight based on his twitter, talks an awful lot of brown on twitter, mind seems to change all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

FFS

Fcuking Soldado! An ageing player who failed at the top level. He had one good season in a division where defenses are so weak that goalscoring records are simply being obliterated in a way never seen before. But at the same time Giroud gets no credit for being top scorer in France and having a really good first season in England. Plus he's younger and handsomer.

ARgh. I can feel the rage coming.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK SSSSSSPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRSSSSSSSS

Your Soldado argument is blinkered. How is he an aging player when he's only 4 months older than Giroud? Speaking of which, Giroud did not have a "really good season"; he got 17 goals in 47 appearances. That's fairly average tbh and nearly 50% less than Soldado's haul. You can't decry the defences of La Liga and big up Giroud's Ligue 1 record, a league where Gervinho and Chamakh were banging them in. Soldado's objectively better. Also, Podolski failed at the top level for Bayern.

Giroud sure is dreamy though.

Raf32 wrote: »
    not just tonight based on his twitter, talks an awful lot of brown on twitter, mind seems to change all the time.

I think he's overcompensating after being mentioned on that viral fan clip. He was fully behind AW and preaching "patience" all summer.

I think he's overcompensating after being mentioned on that viral fan clip. He was fully behind AW and preaching "patience" all summer.

yup fully agreed, an utter clown siding with whoever is the majority.

• Advertisement

Your Soldado argument is blinkered. How is he an aging player when he's only 4 months older than Giroud? Speaking of which, Giroud did not have a "really good season"; he got 17 goals in 47 appearances. That's fairly average tbh and nearly 50% less than Soldado's haul. You can't decry the defences of La Liga and big up Giroud's Ligue 1 record, a league where Gervinho and Chamakh were banging them in. Soldado's objectively better. Also, Podolski failed at the top level for Bayern.

Pretty sure he is more than 4 months older, 16 months I think.

The majority on here were preaching patience too when myself and a few others where losing the plot a few weeks back.

This is a freeze frame from Saturday that i took from Jamie Carragher's analysis from MNF last night which is on the sky sports website. Look at the 3 Villa attackers beside each other with no one next or near them

268282.png

Pretty sure he is more than 4 months older, 16 months I think.

Correct, apologies. Not a huge difference if you're comparing the two though.

You mistake me. I'm not bigging up Giroud like crazy or anything. I'm just saying that in this thread people are talking like Soldado's a bargain at 26 million whereas Giroud is about right for Sunderland or Fulham.

He had a really good first season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

but sure if thats the case we might aswell not try at all :/

and yeah i do think with those players spurs signed we'd have a fantastic chance of challenging for the title alot better than the chance we have now which is a snowballs chance in hell becuase we have a lot better starting 11 than spurs with those players added in

your missing the point, it's not about not trying

why sign someone who's not that much better that what's there already?
    why not sign someone who's far better?

you'd rather giroud & soldado than giroud & saurez/higuain
    you'd rather arteta & capoue than arteta & l.bender/gustavo
    - thats what your saying

capoue - wouldn't start
    chadli - probably wouldn't start
    paulinho - maybe
    soldado - maybe

so potentially one player they've signed this summer would start at arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

The Fantasy Scout has posted its suggestion for our team for next weekend

It's not all that bad really ??

RPpqn6T.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You mistake me. I'm not bigging up Giroud like crazy or anything. I'm just saying that in this thread people are talking like Soldado's a bargain at 26 million whereas Giroud is about right for Sunderland or Fulham.

did you not hear Soldado is the bastard child of God and Gerd Muller

batistuta9 wrote: »
    your missing the point, it's not about not trying

why sign someone who's not that much better that what's there already?
    why not sign someone who's far better?

you'd rather giroud & soldado than giroud & saurez/higuain
    you'd rather arteta & capoue than arteta & l.bender/gustavo
    - thats what your saying

capoue - wouldn't start
    chadli - probably wouldn't start
    paulinho - maybe
    soldado - maybe

so potentially one player they've signed this summer would start at arsenal

I think people are saying that they'd rather Giroud and Soldado than Giroud and Sanogo.

• Advertisement

I may get slated for this but just thinking about the club the last few days and I get the feeling Wenger is being treated rather unfairly by the English media and some fans. Okay he does deserve a lot of flack for our failure to sign any players over the summer but I feel that he has too much responsibility on his shoulders when it comes to spending money. I mean this is a guy who has the clubs best interests at heart and I feel it is wrong for him to have the burden of spending huge amounts of money and he should have somebody there like a David Dein character to relieve the pressure and let the business men look after things when it comes down to buying players.

I still believe he is the man who can bring back the glory days to the club, lets face it he worked miracles getting us 4th place last season with what is a very average team and I know the game on Saturday was a poor start for us but when you look at the bigger picture that was only our first defeat in 11 Premier League matches.

I mean some of the stick himself and the team gets after a bad run of games is nothing short of disgraceful and he always seems to get the team to bounce back, there has always been a great team spirit in the side with him as manager. I just think he needs a right hand man that can give him that push to sign quality players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

To be worth 26 million, Soldado will have to score twice as many as Giroud. Not likely.

I may get slated for this but just thinking about the club the last few days and I get the feeling Wenger is being treated rather unfairly by the English media and some fans. Okay he does deserve a lot of flack for our failure to sign any players over the summer but I feel that he has too much responsibility on his shoulders when it comes to spending money. I mean this is a guy who has the clubs best interests at heart and I feel it is wrong for him to have the burden of spending huge amounts of money and he should have somebody there like a David Dein character to relieve the pressure and let the business men look after things when it comes down to buying players.

I still believe he is the man who can bring back the glory days to the club, lets face it he worked miracles getting us 4th place last season with what is a very average team and I know the game on Saturday was a poor start for us but when you look at the bigger picture that was only our first defeat in 11 Premier League matches.

I mean some of the stick himself and the team gets after a bad run of games is nothing short of disgraceful and he always seems to get the team to bounce back, there has always been a great team spirit in the side with him as manager. I just think he needs a right hand man that can give him that push to sign quality players.

Can't see it happening unfortunately Gringo.
    If we had loads a money this season and failed to strengthen then I see no ambition. He seems happy with fourth. We will thread water I feel.

Can't see it happening unfortunately Gringo.
    If we had loads a money this season and failed to strengthen then I see no ambition. He seems happy with fourth. We will thread water I feel.

Its such a sad thing to see happening if that's the case, he is ruining his legacy at the club. I would love nothing more than for him to win more trophies with us and prove all his doubters wrong. But it will take a few years of bringing quality players in if that is to happen as the majority of players in our team aren't good enough to start for a title winning side.

This is a freeze frame from Saturday that i took from Jamie Carragher's analysis from MNF last night which is on the sky sports website. Look at the 3 Villa attackers beside each other with no one next or near them

268282.png

Mert surely has to behind there forwards out of the picture??

Bids for Cabaye & Guaita both due Wednesday. Sakho & Richards being monitored. Progress being made, get three of them, get a winger maybe Lamela, and then go all out for Suarez or Rooney, this can still be saved.

• Advertisement

Its such a sad thing to see happening if that's the case, he is ruining his legacy at the club. I would love nothing more than for him to win more trophies with us and prove all his doubters wrong. But it will take a few years of bringing quality players in if that is to happen as the majority of players in our team aren't good enough to start for a title winning side.

Over the years I have been following Arsenal we went from poor to excellent and had an odd average team that might have won the odd cup competition.

This present squad is very good and with a bit of foresight and a few 2/3 great additions could challenge for the title. But the powers that be either don't see that or are refusing to strengthen. This has been the case for the last number of years. We have great players in the main but with a few star additions we could have won more titles in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Watching this... It is hard to see his mind changing. It will be interesting to see what happens these next two weeks.

Over the years I have been following Arsenal we went from poor to excellent and had an odd average team that might have won the odd cup competition.

This present squad is very good and with a bit of foresight and a few 2/3 great additions could challenge for the title. But the powers that be either don't see that or are refusing to strengthen. This has been the case for the last number of years. We have great players in the main but with a few star additions we could have won more titles in my opinion.

Personally I think we need more than 2 or 3 players, I think 5 would be more to my liking (GK, CB, DMF, LW, FW). If you look at our starting XI there is not more than 3 players that would get into Chelsea, City or Utds team. We need a big injection of quality into the starting XI as we always seem to fall short against the top 3 and best in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

You're not wrong. If you were to believe what the media are saying this week he hasn't lifted a finger all Summer, when it clearly isn't the case. He clearly had a game plan at the start of the Sumemr, and one that was way more ambitious than Spurs! And that's the problem; he's been a victim of his own ambition!

According to the media we have made at least 10 bids on separate players this Summer... lets look at some of the most high profile:

• Bender: Leverkusen refuse to enter negotiations, citing they are unwilling to sell him this window.
    • Pogba: Same as above.
    • Gustavo: Wanted to join but had his head turned by his agent if Honigstein is to be believed.
    • Jovetic: Only one winner there when City entered the race.
    • Higuain: Had the deal nearly wrapped up only for...
    • Suarez: Someone in his camp leaked patently false information to the board...
    If only... :(

Anyway, the other thing I suspect happened is that the decent performances in pre-season led Wenger to believe he could wait until the end of the window in the hope some of those above (or of a similar ability) would come available. But then Arteta got injured.

Wenger clearly had a plan (and a good one if you ask me looking at the names above). But failed in it's execution (a mix of external factors and internal hesitation). I think what Gringo states is spot on, he needs someone alongside him to do the heavy lifting in the transfer market. He simply has his fingers in too many pies!

Mert surely has to behind there forwards out of the picture??

no Gringo, Mert that high up the pitch would be pure madness, especially with a side as pacey as villa.

A proper DM would have sorted saturday out.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement