Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Having won our summer soccer league we were supping cider from the cup all night while watching highlights of some 4th placed team thats won nowt in 7 years.
    I know Im old fashioned , I celebrate footballs special moments winning cups and leagues and not 4th placed victorys.

Posts like this are pointless.

Do you ever wonder what goes through the minds of supporters of other clubs who are much further down the pecking order than Arsenal. Clubs that are merely surviving year to year with no chance of success. They have some of the most loyal and dedicated fans out there. Fans that although not happy about not winning things still support the team regardless.

Sometimes I wonder how easy some people think qualifying for the CL league is, year after year after year. Talk to Spurs, Liverpool, Everton and even Man City fans about REAL success and then come back and see what Arsenal have achieved over our LEAN years.

Some teams would bite your hand off to get our disappointing last 10 yrs.

And we have a new stadium.

Yes there are problems with our transfer policy - we'd like to see things done quicker. But i think the defeat by AV has but things a little out of proportion. I think if AW strengthens with the right people and we have a good few results over the coming weeks then things will look a lot better.

But never take anything for granted. Never assume that Arsenal should by right be challenging every year. This is not La Liga.

Over AW time as manager we have seen Man City go down 2 divisions, Liverpool falter at everything except one off games in cup competitions, Blackburn who were champions fall heavily from grace, Newcastle who were challenging for the title in the 90s fall out of the division, Spurs win nothing and more nothing (ever aspiring to be us) and countless other clubs that have remained in mid table obscurity.

We may feel that the current position for Arsenal club is not where it should be but it's a far cry away from failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I think Wenger has a plan. Spurs have bought a lot of decent quality players, but I think Wenger is trying to secure the players who are a step above these, and to attract these type of players you need to be able to guarantee Champions League football. The likes of Benzema and Di Maria (if the rumours are to be believed) are a step up from anything Spurs bought as is Suarez. These types of deals are always harder to do because the selling club rarely wants to sell. Just ask Real about their progress on Bale if you doubt that. If we got Benzema and Di Maria, I’d class this summer as a success and could understand why we waited.

For anyone that is curious about Wengers use of Harvard graduates, have a look at a movie called Moneyballers and it explains the system used. The movie is about baseball, but is based on a true story about a baseball coach who develops a system to buy cheap players and make a solid team based on their stats. The guy it is based on has often referred to Wenger as his idol and someone he aspires to. Good film, but scarey if true as the baseball team never really went on to any great success, but have been average on the lowest turnover in baseball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

And we think our lads are bad :D

BSOJchGCMAE7gfZ.jpg:large

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gosplan wrote: »
    I have to agree with the looper here (it happened)

Giroud is not good enough at the moment.

RVP only turned it on late in his career but injuries held him back. His class was always there.

Ade, though you wouldn't think it now, had a great burst of speed to go past people. He was great for us for a while, though he did have more help from midfield.

Giroud isn't fast so he has to be clever. That simply doesn't come to many strikers till later in their careers.

He's a great guy to have around though, and with a bit more intelligence last night from midfield would have had one or two glorious chances from open play.

My defence if him is that I think he'll be great in the future. But I don't think anyone would argue that presently he should be starting every game.

Neither does he IMO and neither do the club.

Agree with all that, he's not there yet by any means but I really think he could be a big player for us yet.

At the moment he's doing fine though, not setting the world on fire with his football or anything but he is actually scoring goals which is no harm.

He's nowhere near Henry, Bergkamp or RVP (yet anyway). I think Ade has shown since leaving us his last season was a flash in the pan too. Wiltord is a fair comparison, though I think Giroud's a little better than good old Sylvian myself.

He's not the person we need leading our lines if we're to go for a title but if or when we do sign that person it will be great to have someone like Giroud to fall back on if there's injuries or they need a rest.

Fair play to him for even coming out himself and saying we need another striker in the squad too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Would be an ideal situation if we bought Benzema and Madrid moved for Suarez on the back of it! Whoever liverpool got in would be a step down. Never really disliked liverpool but some of the fans that were in here and John Herny have made me change my mind.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

jonny666 wrote: »
    Would be an ideal situation if we bought Benzema and Madrid moved for Suarez on the back of it! Whoever liverpool got in would be a step down. Never really disliked liverpool but some of the fans that were in here and John Herny have made me change my mind.

Benzema coming here and Bale and Suarez heading off to La Liga would be pretty sweet :D

Really find it hard to imagine us getting Benzema though, you'd have to expect Madrid wouldn't sell him unless they go for Suarez afterwards. I'm just conditioned to us not signing that type of player though I suppose.

Going to be an unbearable 11 days now waiting for stuff to happen. I'm crossing my fingers that the rumour mill ramping up is a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Suraez might not be in the picture here at all. It could be a case that Madrid need the cash to fund the Bale transfer. Spurs have already spent the money and could be demanding full payment up front to cover their shopping spree. Madrid might need quick cash and we are one of the very few clubs that has cash up front, so it might even be us who hold the cards. All speculation of course :D

jester77 wrote: »
    Suraez might not be in the picture here at all. It could be a case that Madrid need the cash to fund the Bale transfer. Spurs have already spent the money and could be demanding full payment up front to cover their shopping spree. Madrid might need quick cash and we are one of the very few clubs that has cash up front, so it might even be us who hold the cards. All speculation of course :D

I don't know, he's pretty much the only proven striker left in their squad? I guess they could play Ronaldo there I suppose.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I don't know, he's pretty much the only proven striker left in their squad? I guess they could play Ronaldo there I suppose.

If they are selling Benzema they are def goina bring in another striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

As much as I'd love it, I just can't see the Benzema deal happening.

Still think there is a big deal there for us somewhere though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Quazzie wrote: »
    I think Wenger has a plan. Spurs have bought a lot of decent quality players, but I think Wenger is trying to secure the players who are a step above these, and to attract these type of players you need to be able to guarantee Champions League football. The likes of Benzema and Di Maria (if the rumours are to be believed) are a step up from anything Spurs bought as is Suarez. These types of deals are always harder to do because the selling club rarely wants to sell. Just ask Real about their progress on Bale if you doubt that. If we got Benzema and Di Maria, I’d class this summer as a success and could understand why we waited.

For anyone that is curious about Wengers use of Harvard graduates, have a look at a movie called Moneyballers and it explains the system used. The movie is about baseball, but is based on a true story about a baseball coach who develops a system to buy cheap players and make a solid team based on their stats. The guy it is based on has often referred to Wenger as his idol and someone he aspires to. Good film, but scarey if true as the baseball team never really went on to any great success, but have been average on the lowest turnover in baseball.

In the film after they adopted the system The Oakland A's went on a record breaking run of games won. Then the Red Sox, headed by John Henry used the system and won their first world series in years iirc.
    Great film anyway, shows how perceptions of players can be misleading and you're better off at times looking at stats. Doesn't work as well in football, pool spent loads on Downing because his chance creation stats are very high. Problem is the chances he creates aren't great chances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

They have that Spanish under 21 guy (name escapes me) that S*urs wanted included in the Bale deal. Maybe the plan is to give him a shot. Wishful thinking on our behalf i suppose but Benzema/Di Maria coming to us and Bale and Suarez going to RM would be the best option all round !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Benzema would be a great buy for ye lads. He has it all to be honest - pace, strength, good shot from both feet, decent in the air.

Remember this goal he scored against us? You just knew he was on his way to someone big after that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

and in the latest transfer news Arsenal are going to give Spurs 40 Million ... dont do it Arsene ...

Great night for football last night, one I wont forget for a long time, bit of a sore head from celebrating though, lots of goals and sent the fans home happy. Having won our summer soccer league we were supping cider from the cup all night while watching highlights of some 4th placed team thats won nowt in 7 years.
    I know Im old fashioned , I celebrate footballs special moments winning cups and leagues and not 4th placed victorys.

Summer league??

Hah, that's like us celebrating the Emirates cup.

Get back to us when you've won the real thing.

wawaman wrote: »
    They have that Spanish under 21 guy (name escapes me) that S*urs wanted included in the Bale deal. Maybe the plan is to give him a shot. Wishful thinking on our behalf i suppose but Benzema/Di Maria coming to us and Bale and Suarez going to RM would be the best option all round !

The comic value of Liverpool holding out against us only to make 10 million less and see us end up with Benzema would be incredible.

Won't happen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Agree with all that, he's not there yet by any means but I really think he could be a big player for us yet.

At the moment he's doing fine though, not setting the world on fire with his football or anything but he is actually scoring goals which is no harm.

He's nowhere near Henry, Bergkamp or RVP (yet anyway). I think Ade has shown since leaving us his last season was a flash in the pan too. Wiltord is a fair comparison, though I think Giroud's a little better than good old Sylvian myself.

He's not the person we need leading our lines if we're to go for a title but if or when we do sign that person it will be great to have someone like Giroud to fall back on if there's injuries or they need a rest.

Fair play to him for even coming out himself and saying we need another striker in the squad too.

I suppose the thing that impresses me most about Giroud is that he offers a lot more than just goals. In most situations he is happy to pass the ball to someone else in a better position than himself, even if has a goals scoring opportunity. I have never seen Walcott do that. The amount of times Walcott could have squared the ball instead of taking a risky near post shot is ridiculous and could be part of the problem why Giroud doesn't score more often.

The other part is Girouds defensive work. Last year, I lost count on how many times Giroud cleared an oppositions corner. In fact, most of the time the ball never even entered the box thanks to Giroud. At one stage last weekend, it was Giroud who tracked back to cover Sagna.

Giroud also seems to have a good attitude and has even asked Wenger to sign another striker. To me, that seems like he is more interested in the team doing well rather than just being out there for himself.

Of all the players in the first team that we could replace, I would be looking at lot more at Walcott than anyone else. Yes, he was our leading goalscorer (and assists?) last year, but the amount of time he loses the ball, doesn't give that crucial pass and his general play is just poor. He is a very good impact player but he is one of the most frustrating players to watch given the positions he manages to get himself in (and then usually waste). I also find it very frustrating that he rarely tracks back and tries to help the players behind him, frequently leaving our defence exposed, but in fairness to him, I think he is improving that aspect of his game.

farna_boy wrote: »
    Of all the players in the first team that we could replace, I would be looking at lot more at Walcott than anyone else. Yes, he was our leading goalscorer (and assists?) last year, but the amount of time he loses the ball, doesn't give that crucial pass and his general play is just poor. He is a very good impact player but he is one of the most frustrating players to watch given the positions he manages to get himself in (and then usually waste). I also find it very frustrating that he rarely tracks back and tries to help the players behind him, frequently leaving our defence exposed, but in fairness to him, I think he is improving that aspect of his game.

Walcott is prob our best player :eek:

as frustrating as he is he is one of the best wingers in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Looper007 wrote: »
    EDuardo was very unlucky as he was doing very well until that leg break. Wiltord was better too. Giroud is our Wiltord of today, someone you take from the bench for the last ten minutes. Not a Spearhead for a Title bid. Even though he scored a peno last night what exactly did he do in the whole match but moan at the defence.

Going by your logic so, we should just buy Dzeko from Citeh and keep him on the bench. He scored more goals coming from the bench last year, and scored more goals than Giroud coming from the bench.

He would fit the Wiltord category much better. Giroud is nothing like Wiltord, with the exception that they have both scored goals. If that's the case (using last season as an example) would you categorise Podolski as a Ljungberg/Pires type player because he played on the wing and passed the ball to Giroud a few times?

Your soap box is getting more crumpled each time you stand on it. I've been following this thread for years, never really comment because I love to read the discussions, but the tripe you've been spouting this past two weeks has just been shocking. I get it, you're not happy with this current situation but get over it! Support your club, and give actual concise arguments to back up your points, rather than waffling on with some nonsensical diatribe about a player who's worth is a lot more than you have said so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

wawaman wrote: »

Morata is the chap you are thinking of.
    gosplan wrote: »
    The comic value of Liverpool holding out against us only to make 10 million less and see us end up with Benzema would be incredible.

Won't happen though.

Not sure why you'd laugh, Benzema wouldn't come to LFC and LFC would still have 40m and not have sold him to you lot! Plus if we got Morata as part of the deal I'd be pretty happy.

mike65 wrote: »

Not sure why you'd laugh, Benzema wouldn't come to LFC and LFC would still have 40m and not have sold him to you lot! Plus if we got Morata as part of the deal I'd be pretty happy.
    So you're admitting that Liverpool can't attract or hold their players any more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Walcott for me is your real moneyball player ; doesn't look particularly impressive but you can't argue with his stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Quazzie wrote: »
    So you're admitting that Liverpool can't attract or hold their players any more?

:eek: OMG! :eek: the truth is revealed OMG! etc

Liverpool lost that war when Alonso went to Real and Masch to Barcalona and we fell out of the CL.

Quite why its taken you 3/4 years to catch up I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I wouldn't agree that Theo is our best player. I'd have Santi, Jack, Ramsey and Kos ahead of him in terms of importance to the team.

My point is there isn't a huge benefit to the 'not have sold him to you lot' bit we ended up with Benzema.

Won't happen though.

:eek: OMG! :eek: the truth is revealed OMG! etc

Liverpool lost that war when Alonso went to Real and Masch to Barcalona and we fell out of the CL.

Quite why its taken you 3/4 years to catch up I dunno.
    Oh I knew all along. As did most to be honest. It's just nice seeing a Liverpool fan admit it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,460 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Will pay absolutely no heed to transfer talk until the deal is signed and a picture posted. Paper and ink again.

Meanwhile we should be concentrating on the Fulham match and making sure we get 3 points to begin our league challenge.
    Any more word of injuries after last night's game?

Might aswell start this up again, hopefully Galvasean will return after the transfer window nonsense is finished and the thread goes back to normal.

Giroud 2 (1)
    Ramsey 1 (0)
    Gibbs 1 (0)

League goals in brackets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

pandaboy wrote: »
    Giroud had his first season with a new club, new team and a much more combative league. His stats for defending and disciplinaries are quite good for a player that's a sole striker. Again, it's just stats but they're impressive for someone that's just come to the league.

He adds a lot to us from a defensive point of view when defending corners and teams who like the aerial route. You'd notice it against those teams when he is missing.

Giroud is a solid player, not world class but bordering on excellent. He'd be an excellent plan b for us is what I'm trying to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Some of the lads in this thread have made me finally use the Ignore List. Desperate days when I have to do this with fellow arsenal fans.

I like discussion and debating the merits of players and potential players, performances and matches to come.

But I like to have those with adults not children who keep spouting the same excuse repeatedly.

Anywho do we think there will be any changes other than the enforced one at teh back for Fulham. Id quite like Poldi to get a start on the left with Santi in the middle.

2 reason 1 to give him a start and 2 because I think Rosicky could be a big player for us this year but will need to be protected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Unless Real are going to swoop for Suarez, I really don't see why they would sell Benzema. They don't have anyone even close to his quality up front.

Unless there is truth that Monaco may have to flog Falcao for tax reasons and Real plan to replace Benzema with Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Looper007 wrote: »
    I Can't wait to be proved right :). Just to stick it to eejits like you. So you can give it a rest with Giroud been brilliant and I will shut up about giroud been ****.

It wouldn't be "giving it a rest" in my case. I've not suggested Giroud is brilliant. You, however, have spouted shiite about him even after good performances.

You aren't much of a fan, are you? Wanting our current #1 striker to fail just so you can say I told you so is terribly petty behaviour.

Some of the lads in this thread have made me finally use the Ignore List. Desperate days when I have to do this with fellow arsenal fans.

I like discussion and debating the merits of players and potential players, performances and matches to come.

But I like to have those with adults not children who keep spouting the same excuse repeatedly.

Anywho do we think there will be any changes other than the enforced one at teh back for Fulham. Id quite like Poldi to get a start on the left with Santi in the middle.

2 reason 1 to give him a start and 2 because I think Rosicky could be a big player for us this year but will need to be protected

Something seems odd with Poldi at the moment. he's fully fit yet we wasn't brought on at the weekend until the end, and even then it was at left back. Fair enough starting Oxo ahead of him on the left, Wenger obviously saw this as his season to make the step up (:() but bringing an exhausted Cazorla on at half time instead of a fit Podolski made no sense.

Maybe it's just a case of Wenger not wanting to play him on the left anymore, he could be our back up striker to Giroud I suppose for now. If that's the case then we'd be pretty well stocked up front with him, Giroud, Sonogo and mystery world class striker who we'll definitely sign :P

Either way, I hope the Schalke rumours aren't true, Podolski is a decent option to have in the squad.

On the whole Benzema thing, Graham Hunter had this to say:
    “The dream for Madrid is not simply to complete the [Gareth] Bale deal but to swap around their strikeforce," he told SHOUTsport.

“Benzema has not convinced over the last ten months and was booed off at the weekend when substituted, despite scoring.

“Madrid see a scenario where they are willing to trade Benzema to get the money to try to go after [Luis] Suarez. That’s their strategy.”

Hunter loves the sound of his own voice. He's wrong a lot more than he's right.

cson wrote: »
    He adds a lot to us from a defensive point of view when defending corners and teams who like the aerial route. You'd notice it against those teams when he is missing.

Giroud is a solid player, not world class but bordering on excellent. He'd be an excellent plan b for us is what I'm trying to say.

When he was missing for a few games last year (think it was injury) and he came back, he seemed invigorated and played like so. He gets a raw deal, but to be fair with the strikers we've gone through in the past 12 years I can understand the cynicism, but the stats prove otherwise.

I would like another player like Giroud, someone that would fill in the gaps. I think Dzeko would be perfect for us. What he did for city when he came off the bench last year was unreal, and he could plug those gaps for us, as would Benzema.

Regarding Fulham this weekend, it's going to be tough. I think tougher than Villa, they've got a solid enough squad and will provide more depth than Villa, especially with Parker in midfield. Once we can contain their counter attack, we'll be okay. The likes of Ruiz can be dangerous when left loose, and if Bent takes his head from his ass, he'll prove to be a mighty acquisition for them this season. Have to say, I was really impressed with Szcezney last night, played with a lot of maturity, and was quite solid and composed in his saves.

Ramsey, was phenomenal. He's like the kid that's studying hard for the Junior Cert with University in mind. Work hard for the long haul and in time you'll see the benefits. I think he could be moulded into a Bergkampesque type player, rather than Cesc. He'll prove a lot this season, maybe a self made captain in seasons to come. It's my hope anyway.

Would love to know Wenger's reason for saying that the transfer window only starts now for him.

There is any amount of brilliant players who would have suited our system and solved positional problems for us who have been sold already. Now we will pay through the nose for new players which is not his style either.

Anyone any ideas why he's say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Don't entirely agree. Walcott can be our best player and possibly one of the players in the league. However, somewhat like Szczesny, his biggest problem is consistency.

Would love to know Wenger's reason for saying that the transfer window only starts now for him.

There is any amount of brilliant players who would have suited our system and solved positional problems for us who have been sold already. Now we will pay through the nose for new players which is not his style either.

I think the club were waiting to see if the CL money was in the bag. Massive difference in the coffers between going out against Fenerbahce and beating them to go through to the group stages.

I don't agree with it, but i'm guessing that might have been their thinking.

When he was missing for a few games last year (think it was injury) and he came back, he seemed invigorated and played like so. He gets a raw deal, but to be fair with the strikers we've gone through in the past 12 years I can understand the cynicism, but the stats prove otherwise.

I would like another player like Giroud, someone that would fill in the gaps. I think Dzeko would be perfect for us. What he did for city when he came off the bench last year was unreal, and he could plug those gaps for us, as would Benzema.

Regarding Fulham this weekend, it's going to be tough. I think tougher than Villa, they've got a solid enough squad and will provide more depth than Villa, especially with Parker in midfield. Once we can contain their counter attack, we'll be okay. The likes of Ruiz can be dangerous when left loose, and if Bent takes his head from his ass, he'll prove to be a mighty acquisition for them this season. Have to say, I was really impressed with Szcezney last night, played with a lot of maturity, and was quite solid and composed in his saves.

Ramsey, was phenomenal. He's like the kid that's studying hard for the Junior Cert with University in mind. Work hard for the long haul and in time you'll see the benefits. I think he could be moulded into a Bergkampesque type player, rather than Cesc. He'll prove a lot this season, maybe a self made captain in seasons to come. It's my hope anyway.

I like Ramsey too but he will have to tighten up his game. He gave the ball away numerous times last night, once passing across our 18 yard line to a Fenerbahce player which nearly cost us a goal. I counted 8 misplaced passes from him until I stopped counting late in the 2nd half. I have to admire his energy and commitment though. He clearly loves the club.

• Advertisement

Spinning the story. Appeasing the fans because the transfer window has to start for him. He's stating the obvious pretty much. I think he may have been hinting that the Suarez fiasco took a lot longer than anticipated. Which I think is a fallacy, as they surely have a team of transfer heads.

There's a plethora of players that would've and will fit our system. The Eredivisie has got some amazing players right now that would go cheaply. One for the future - Viktor Fischer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

@ mickeroo

Agree re poldi, bringing a half fit santi on for him was odd as was starting him last night IMO.

I know he was injured for the second half of last season but decided he didn't need surgery in the off season, you have to wonder if it is still bothering him

I guess they'll find it easier now with CL qualification more or less in the bag. Also, if there's any truth to the names we're now being linked with then it's fair to say he's aiming a bit higher than the clubs around us in terms of the players he's going for.

Having said that, you're dead right, there's definitely players we could have signed months ago with minimum fuss. Bidding for the likes of Cabaye now when he could have easily been signed in June is a joke.

Spinning the story. Appeasing the fans because the transfer window has to start for him. He's stating the obvious pretty much. I think he may have been hinting that the Suarez fiasco took a lot longer than anticipated. Which I think is a fallacy, as they surely have a team of transfer heads.

There's a plethora of players that would've and will fit our system. The Eredivisie has got some amazing players right now that would go cheaply. One for the future - Viktor Fischer.

If we're going for players from Ajax I would be looking for eriksen first

stuchyg wrote: »
    @ mickeroo

Agree re poldi, bringing a half fit santi on for him was odd as was starting him last night IMO.

I know he was injured for the second half of last season but decided he didn't need surgery in the off season, you have to wonder if it is still bothering him

Ah, I hadn't realised he didn't go through with the surgery. That might explain a lot.

• Advertisement

I like Ramsey too but he will have to tighten up his game. He gave the ball away numerous times last night, once passing across our 18 yard line to a Fenerbahce player which nearly cost us a goal. I counted 8 misplaced passes from him until I stopped counting late in the 2nd half. I have to admire his energy and commitment though. He clearly loves the club.

You're correct, could say the same for Wilshere as well though. First half, pass into the Keeper's arms. We didn't have attackers in the box, but he had the space to turn it around and find someone, like the way our wingers and full backs would normally play.

I saw it last season, and it's getting more apparent this year. I think Ramsey has put his own head down and decided to improve his game. He's an extremely mature player for someone of his age, and is developing extremely well. This year I think he's going to focus on his attribution to goals. He needs to build his own individuality to his game, that's something we have been missing in the squad.

Someone that can turn on a 1 cent coin and bring a bit of personal responsibility to the game. Build a play and dictate it, then have the cajones to actually finish it off. If Rosicky had a better finishing rate, we'd have one top top player there, not that he isn't. For his age and his injury history I still think he's an outstanding player. Last night was a pleasure to watch him dictate the pace and lead the charge, pity a lot of it got congested in the clumsy Fenerbahce 6-7 man defensive press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the club were waiting to see if the CL money was in the bag. Massive difference in the coffers between going out against Fenerbahce and beating them to go through to the group stages.

I don't agree with it, but i'm guessing that might have been their thinking.

Also top, top quality players probably insist on CL football as a pre-requisite.

Gar Neville tweeted this after the match last night:

G.Neville ‏@GNev2 15h

Do you know something? When great clubs are in trouble they shut everyone up!! And I respect that!

stuchyg wrote: »

Where would he go though? Little small to be playing the DM role, and he's predominantly a CM/AM. I'd love to see him at the club, but he'd be competing with Wilshire, Ramsey, Arteta, Rosicky and Cazorla. For someone of his age and talent, would he be happy starting on the bench, not saying he would be, but it's a strong possibility. He's an amazing player, I'd love him, De Jong, Fischer, and Alderweireld at the club.

Anyone know how well Babel did at Ajax last year?
    Ah, I hadn't realised he didn't go through with the surgery. That might explain a lot.
    He looked a little stiff when he first came on last night, don't know if Wenger is easing him in or what. But, there could be a chance of surgery this season if he's injured. I want to see more of him though, thought I would've saw more last year. He's a confident chap and an individual talent. His international games from the past 6 months have been immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Gar Neville tweeted this after the match last night:

G.Neville ‏@GNev2 15h

Do you know something? When great clubs are in trouble they shut everyone up!! And I respect that!

Hated him as a player but love him as a pundit he is reasonable, educated and isn't trying to impress.

Carragher on the other hand is a melt and I already dislike listening to him, he might change but he is just a younger Phil Thompson for me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement