Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I still don't think it'll happen, hard to see Benzema going.

But it'd be some craic if Pool lost Suarez for less than we offered and we pick up Benzema as well.

Few faces I'd like to see if that happened I can tell ya!

Soups123 wrote: »
    Hated him as a player but love him as a pundit he is reasonable, educated and isn't trying to impress.

Carragher on the other hand is a melt and I already dislike listening to him, he might change but he is just a younger Phil Thompson for me.

In fairness to Carra, he said the only ones who are forking out at Arsenal are the fans and he is dead right

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

In fairness to Carra, he said the only ones who are forking out at Arsenal are the fans and he is dead right

Yeah but he also talked a lot of other sh*t. It was his first gig but I just see him following down that route (Phil T)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

farna_boy wrote: »
    Don't entirely agree. Walcott can be our best player and possibly one of the players in the league. However, somewhat like Szczesny, his biggest problem is consistency.
    I think Walcott is overly criticised for consistency, wingers are generally inconsistent players due to what they're trying to do. Its either going to come off as a goal or an assist or look like they've messed up and lost the ball. You'd struggle to name 5 wingers in the world considered to be 'consistent'. Stewart Downing looks far more composed on the ball and his technique looks better to Walcott's, yet Walcott is infinitely more effective and his goals and assists show that. He was our most dangerous player in the first half last night too.

Not getting my hopes up about Benzema and Di Maria at all, but would love either of them. Added bonus if they fund a transfer for Pool or Spurs' best player.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If Benzema and Di Maria are both available then is there any fear that RM will just do a straight swap for Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If Benzema and Di Maria are both available then is there any fear that RM will just do a straight swap for Suarez?

I doubt he'd go to Liverpool so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

pandaboy wrote: »
    Where would he go though? Little small to be playing the DM role, and he's predominantly a CM/AM. I'd love to see him at the club, but he'd be competing with Wilshire, Ramsey, Arteta, Rosicky and Cazorla. For someone of his age and talent, would he be happy starting on the bench, not saying he would be, but it's a strong possibility. He's an amazing player, I'd love him, De Jong, Fischer, and Alderweireld at the club.

Anyone know how well Babel did at Ajax last year?

If you look at those options Artits and Tomas are both 32? Santi is 28/29 and seems to be used on the left at the min. Say eriksen signs and is told he will start occasionally but feature from the bench until he learns the teams style of play etc for the first season then I could see him joining alright

Regarding babel I think I remember reading towards the tail of the season that he hadnt exactly set the eredivise alight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hyzepher wrote: »

I assume that both players would be looking to play in the Champions League and would have to agree to being sold/swapped anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

I really wish AW would buy a defender before the weekend. We are an injury away from having no fit CH. I'd rather have Jageilka than Williams plus he could play as an emergency DM if need be too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Roaster wrote: »
    I really wish AW would buy a defender before the weekend. We are an injury away from having no fit CH. I'd rather have Jageilka than Williams plus he could play as an emergency DM if need be too.

I thought he'd be in for Sakho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Just want to put this out there.

2bpd2b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I'm getting excited now, expecting a few good players in.

A win at the weekend is just as vital as Wednesday, if we lose I think we will have all the negative stuff overloading the thread again.

Thought Giroud was pretty lazy and awful last night but as I was told in here about Podolski last season, what does it matter as long as he scores ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Roaster wrote: »

Jagielka would be a superb addition to Arsenal.

I really wanted Benzema to come to Arsenal when he was at Lyon but then Real Madrid snapped him up. I haven't rated him so much recently (positively awful for France) and think we'd be much better off going for Rooney.

United would think that we were a better destination than Chelsea - not sure Rooney would feel the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

greendom wrote: »
    I really wanted Benzema to come to Arsenal when he was at Lyon but then Real Madrid snapped him up. I haven't rated him so much recently (positively awful for France) and think we'd be much better off going for Rooney.

United would think that we were a better destination than Chelsea - not sure Rooney would feel the same

So much pressure on him at Madrid, I think he be able to express himself more with us. I doubt he leave Madrid anyway. He has the potential of been a great player.

Depends on who we buy in the next week and a half that convinces him we be right for him. He's got mates at Arsenal. Rooney is gettable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

slingerz wrote: »
    Jagielka would be a superb addition to Arsenal.

No, he wouldn't.

He needs to play beside a bigger CB which would mean dropping Koscielny who is better than him anyway. He's also 31 and Everton would surely be looking for double digits for him. He's also never played at the highest level in Europe save for a couple of qualifying games versus Villareal. All in all, while he might do a job, he would not be a good signing for Arsenal.

Sakho on the other hand; he's big, he's young and he'd cost about the same. He'd be an ideal long term replacement for Mertesacker.

Folks suggesting English players who are solid or have had good seasons fail to see the bigger picture; while a Rickie Lambert or a Phil Jagielka might do a job for you they'd be all at sea against anyone of quality and in Europe more importantly. There's also no value in them. Hell, a player as good as Mikel Arteta looked and was absolutely lost against AC Milan in his first season with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

While I do think Rooney would be great and that we can afford a lot more in wages these days, he's on a rediculous amount - rumoured to be about 250k per week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Benzema has never lived up to his potential and is so inconsistent IMO. I would not want him at Arsenal. If he is surplus to requirements at Madrid then he is not good enough for us. Di Maria is ok, but also he too, has not lived up to expectation.

I think Benzema is still relatively young - not 26 until the end of the year. With a team built around him I think we could see his best years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Benzema has never lived up to his potential and is so inconsistent IMO. I would not want him at Arsenal. If he is surplus to requirements at Madrid then he is not good enough for us. Di Maria is ok but too had not lived up to expectation.

Is this a joke? Benzema would dramatically improve our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Chamakh rumour of blackmail was true then, he was being blackmailed. Explained him going off form after a pretty good start.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/22/marouane-chamakh-blackmail-arsenal-palace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looking at twitter last night was reading lefrenchgooners verdict on Benzema reckons he is terrible for France due to the system they play not suiting him at all and watch him play for Real Madrid is like watching a different player.

I'd take Benzema over Rooney, Benzema would probably be a lot less trouble. But can't see it happening either.

On CB I'd gladly take Micah Richards or Sakho. Williams I wouldn't be excited about but would take as long as money was better invested in other parts of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I'd like if a proactive approach was taken with CBs - plan for the future rather than a patch and paste job like the one muted with the Bendtner/Gamez swap. We all saw how Squillaci turned out - French International who was a started for a top 5 Spanish team, what could go wrong? :pac:

Chamakh rumour of blackmail was true then, he was being blackmailed. Explained him going off form after a pretty good start.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/22/marouane-chamakh-blackmail-arsenal-palace

All the best to the lad hope the move works out for him, he comes across as a decent chap and a model professional, never once did we hear him moan when he wasn't in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

danlen wrote: »
    Is this a joke? Benzema would dramatically improve our team.
    Benzema isn't fit to lace Suarez's boots. In fact, I am not even convinced he's a better player than Sturridge and Coutinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Benzema isn't fit to lace Suarez's boots. In fact, I am not even convinced he's a better player than Sturridge and Coutinho.

maxresdefault.jpg

I do love how Coutinho's 4 good games against lower half sides now make him the best player thats ever played the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

fry.PNG?1307468855

LooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooL!

He's guaranteed to be available for more games - and his dentist bill should be considerably lower (AW loves a low cost option!)

Liverpool fans are hilarious. Annoying, biased and clueless, sure, but still hilarious none the less.

• Advertisement

Dictionary definition of deluded fan post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Wrong thread obviously, point still stands. Suarez scored twice as many goals as Benzema did in a full season. Sturridge scored the same amount of goals in half the number of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Wrong thread obviously, point still stands. Suarez scored twice as many goals as Benzema did in a full season. Sturridge scored the same amount of goals in half the number of games.

facepalm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

kind of agree, would take suarez over benzema any day of the week. would have even took higuain over him

33 aps 15 goals
    34 aps 21 goals
    30 aps 11 goals

in his last 3 seasons. decent but nothing special

would take him instead of giroud though :)

By that logic Rickie Lambert is better than Benzema :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Benzema is class. Always loved him, even going back to when he was in Even Stevens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Totally! Just like Lampard is a whole lot better than Gerrard.

darego wrote: »
    kind of agree, would take suarez over benzema any day of the week. would have even took higuain over him

33 aps 15 goals
    34 aps 21 goals
    30 aps 11 goals

Its the comparisons to Sturridge and Coutinho were laughing at. Nowhere near Benzema's level jaysus sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

lol, are you a Liverpool fan because that is the only way that sentence would make any sense?

jester77 wrote: »
    lol, are you a Liverpool fan because that is the only way that sentence would make any sense?

Probably speaking from the perspective of the 2018/2019 season in manager mode in Fifa. Surely an expert...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Don't think we will get benzema

Keep an eye on Suarez

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,411 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Don't think we will get benzema

Keep an eye on Suarez

Wenger said the Suarez deal is dead. Probably means you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

33 aps 15 goals
    34 aps 21 goals
    30 aps 11 goals

This...
    Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its the comparisons to Sturridge and Coutinho were laughing at. Nowhere near Benzema's level jaysus sake.

Plus you have to remember that is playing in a team with Ronaldo who while scoring goals for fun is basically the focal point of team, and can be a bit on the selfish side probably rightfully so.

Much like David Villa at Barcelona excellent player but had people questioning him mainly due to the fact again Messi was the main man at Barcelona and in the same way Ibrahimavic is stupidly considered a flop at Barcelona.

Higuain is a top player so is Benzema you don't play at a club of Real Madrids caliber for years and not be a top class player.

33 aps 15 goals
    34 aps 21 goals
    30 aps 11 goals

34 aps 21 goals - who wouldn't be happy with this? Also he and Higuain were used as alternates so a lot of his appearances were off the bench I believe

Mickeroo wrote: »

He was probably being renditioned to the Emirates during the press conference as Wenger spoke that sentence. Strange how we haven't seen Suarez since the press conference as well!

Maybe AW knows that Suarez is RM bound and hence the late bids for Benzema and Di Maria?

One min he saying its dead

Then were bidding 40m the same 40m we were offering Liverpool, to Madrid

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

That's great if you're talking about fantasy football, in the real world it's not really a basis for saying what player is better.

Try watching a game and analysing what they could bring to a team. Benzema is so far ahead of Sturridge it's crazy that it even needs to be pointed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

surely if suarez changed his mind and is in fact staying 1 more season at liverpool, both him and pool would have been very public about the u-turn and either him and/or brendan rodgers would have made a statement to clarify everything to the liverpool fans

i am still hopefull over getting suarez

• Advertisement

surely if suarez changed his mind and is in fact staying 1 more season at liverpool, both him and pool would have been very public about the u-turn and either him and/or brendan rodgers would have made a statement to clarify everything to the liverpool fans

i am still hopefully over getting suarez

Exactly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement