Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

He was 7-1 to join us this morning so I threw on 20 on it, wishful thinking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

danlen wrote: »
    That's great if you're talking about fantasy football, in the real world it's not really a basis for saying what player is better.

Try watching a game and analysing what they could bring to a team. Benzema is so far ahead of Sturridge it's crazy that it even needs to be pointed out.
    If you get Benzema, you will still end up struggling to finish 4th. Mark my words.

If you get Benzema, you will still end up struggling to finish 4th. Mark my words.

Thanks.

Enjoy Europe this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Because we could win the league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

As keenly as I would mark the words of any sage who, in his infinite wisdom, suggested that the team who finished 7th in the PL last year have 3 starting attackers who are all better than Real Madrid's preferred striker from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Even with Suarez, Couthinho and Sturridge who you say are all better than Benzema you's couldnt make 6th last season :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Is there still some stragglers in here from a month back ...jesus wept , Sure you're 3 points ahead of us now ...Nailed on for 4th sure

Why does it always have to be Liverpool lads mouthing off in here? I mean if a top 4 fan came in here mouthing off thats one thing, but a Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

FearDark wrote: »
    Why does it always have to be Liverpool lads mouthing off in here? I mean if a top 4 fan came in here mouthing off thats one thing, but a Liverpool fan?

I think they feel insulted that we had the audacity to bid for their best player and that we only bid 5 million + 1 euro more than what Andy Carroll was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

danlen wrote: »
    Is this a joke? Benzema would dramatically improve our team.

No, its not a joke, just my opinion. I doubt we will get the chance to test the hypothesis though as I am sure he is just another name being bandied about.

• Advertisement

I posted in here by mistake. I thought it was the Liverpool thread so untwist your knickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I posted in here by mistake. I thought it was the Liverpool thread so untwist your knickers.

Doesn't make your post any less silly..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Any experienced day trip match travellers around?

After scoping cheap flights for a Saturday 3.00 kick off, but the times are tight. Be scheduled to land at 13.10 on Sat in Gatwick. Theoretically Gatwick Express and Tube should take an hour to get to Arsenal but has anyone tried anything like this before?

As keenly as I would mark the words of any sage who, in his infinite wisdom, suggested that the team who finished 7th in the PL last year have 3 starting attackers who are all better than Real Madrid's preferred striker from last year.
    I never said that at all.

I said Suarez is a better player - that is indisputable.

Also, I never said Sturridge and Coutinho were better players. I said I wasn't convinced that Benzema were any better than Coutinho and Sturridge.

I never said that at all.

I said Suarez is a better player - that is indisputable.

Also, I never said Sturridge and Coutinho were better players. I said I wasn't convinced that Benzema were any better than Coutinho and Sturridge.

Let's just remind you of what you wrote...
    Benzema isn't fit to lace Suarez's boots. In fact, I am not even convinced he's a better player than Sturridge and Coutinho.

Why would it matter where you intended to post it? Is there a higher tolerance for ridiculous bull**** in the Liverpool thread?

Awhh, I remember my frist day the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

LOL Sturridge better than Benzema!!

Santi101 wrote: »
    LOL Sturridge better than Benzema!!
    Who said that?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

2ndcoming wrote: »

After scoping cheap flights for a Saturday 3.00 kick off, but the times are tight. Be scheduled to land at 13.10 on Sat in Gatwick. Theoretically Gatwick Express and Tube should take an hour to get to Arsenal but has anyone tried anything like this before?

You'll make it no bother once your flight isn't delayed. Just a tip, don't bother with a Gatwick express ticket, you can get a train to Victoria for much cheaper with Southern Rail, only takes about 40 mins, maybe less.

http://southernrailway.com

You'll probably get a ticket for £15 on that, Gatwick Express is around £30 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Who said that?

Lets rephrase it then.

LOL Sturridge being as good as Benzema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Who said that?

You did.

lertsnim wrote: »
    You did.
    When?

You did...
    Benzema isn't fit to lace Suarez's boots. In fact, I am not even convinced he's a better player than Sturridge and Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I don't think we can exclude any names at this stage....it's still not beyond the realms that Arsene & Fergie did a deal over RVP that would allow Rooney to come to Arsenal providing we matched the highest bid......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Liverpool fans are great craic altogether. All these great players they have, it's a wonder they havent been in the Top 4 for years.

This time next year, we'll be millionaires, Rodney!

You did...
    I clearly didn't.

Let's go through some English language 101.

" I am not even convinced he's a better player than Sturridge and Coutinho"

In here we find a direct implication that you think it's possible that Sturridge Coutinho, and Suarez are all better than Benzema.

"I am not convinced A is better than B & C" implies immediately that B & C could very plausibly be better than A.

You also said Suarez being better than Benzema is "indisputable". Let's examine that.

Suarez has 38 goals, 16 assists in 77 games as the main man for Liverpool. Very good. Indisputably. That's 0.701 goals/assists per game

Benzema has 56 goals, 29 assists in 125 games for Real. Very good. Indisputably. 0.68 goals/assists per game. Not as good a rate, but maintained for longer, and no bitey racist incidents either.

Now I think Suarez is probably better than Benzema, but indisputably is not the correct word to use here.

(numbers are for league games, straight off wikipedia)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Should be ok. Ive done it a few times and the only thing to fcuk you up is the weather.

Flight delayed 3 hours for snow before. By the time it left 2nd half was kicking off and I was sitting in the pub with a 1000 euro hole in my pocket:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Not a day tripper but live about half a mile from the ground for oer 10 years and have a season ticket.....

Very very tight using Gatwick express or victoria.

Gatwick Express takes 30 minutes. If you land at 13.10, it will take you at least 20 minutes to get to train station with the whole Gatwick shuttle train to the customs etc.

It will take you 30 minutes on tube from victoria to Finsbury Park.

Then 10 minute walk to the stadium.

Much better option is the direct train from Gatwick to St Pancras (Kings Cross). It takes 45 minutes, goes on the hour at 02,17,32 and 47 minutes.
    Kings cross is then just a short trip on the tube to the ground.

You would make the 13.32 or 13.47. Then short walk (or run to picadilly line) and you will be there at the match to spare. Whenever I fly from Gatwick I work out that i'll be home iin about 1.15 to 1.30 using that train. And it is much cheaper than the gatwick express. Only thing is to make sure there is no engineering work on that end. Any delay longer than 30 minutes though and you will miss the start of the match.

PM me if you need any more help.

• Advertisement

So Real buy Suarez for let's say 35 million.

Then we buy Suarez off them for 40 million.

Real make 5m facilitating the deal and Liverpool don't sell to us.

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

don't be cheap - give them the extra £1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Let's go through some English language 101.

" I am not even convinced he's a better player than Sturridge and Coutinho"

In here we find a direct implication that you think it's possible that Sturridge Coutinho, and Suarez are all better than Benzema.

"I am not convinced A is better than B & C" implies immediately that B & C could very plausibly be better than A.

You also said Suarez being better than Benzema is "indisputable". Let's examine that.

Suarez has 38 goals, 16 assists in 77 games as the main man for Liverpool. Very good. Indisputably. That's 0.701 goals/assists per game

Benzema has 56 goals, 29 assists in 125 games for Real. Very good. Indisputably. 0.68 goals/assists per game. Not as good a rate, but maintained for longer, and no bitey racist incidents either.

Now I think Suarez is probably better than Benzema, but indisputably is not the correct word to use here.

(numbers are for league games, straight off wikipedia)

Suarez starts and finishes nearly all games for Liverpool.
    Benzema has been rotated/substituted during the last two seasons.

Does anyone have a comparison based on minutes played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Benzema has prvoed he can do it at a top club, Suarez and Co haven't.

Suerez is debatably better but no doubt a lot more detestable!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

As entertaining as this all is, I just want something to be confirmed and completed so we can start talking about actually signing someone rather than saying the same things over and over again about some random and unconfirmed target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I notice from AW's comments that he's definite that Miyaichi will feature in the first team this season.

Not signing a winger then. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

this may be purely blind faith in wenger, but i get the feeling we are going to be very very happy come the end of this market.

Raf32 wrote: »
    this may be purely blind faith in wenger, but i get the feeling we are going to be very very happy come the end of this market.

That is blind faith.

In fact; it's bordering on cult like faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

I do have faith still but you also have to remember it is not just down to him and clubs are gonna demand silly money.

It just depends how silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

cson wrote: »
    That is blind faith.

In fact; it's bordering on cult like faith.

We get that you don't like Wenger, it's not even close to a cult though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I agree, I think the plan was to buy big anyway, the way the squad has been reduced so heavily suggests that was always going to happen.

Looking at the business that Spurs have done will only increase that intention, not to mention the crowd reaction on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Looks like Mathieu Flamini could be our second signing of the season! If the Guardian are to be believed he could be in the squad for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Looks like Mathieu Flamini could be our second signing of the season! If the Guardian are to be believed he could be in the squad for the weekend.

I would be content with that. You don't often get squad players for free with the quality that Flamini has.

What would make me disappointed and angry about this signing would be if it prevented Wenger from buying a better player in that defensive midfield position as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He's already training with the Arsenal first team so I think it's a matter of when and not if he signs.

I think the top brass will wait until they can announce it on the same day as another signing to try and create more of an impact on the fans. I'd say it's been done on a handshake already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I would be content with that. You don't often get squad players for free with the quality that Flamini has.

What would make me disappointed and angry about this signing would be if it prevented Wenger from buying a better player in that defensive midfield position as well.

It'd be OK as a stopgap if we don't have a decent target in mind.

Hopefully next year, we can go back in for Bender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I hope he got **** wages for trying to be a big time charlie leaving the last time on the back of one decent season

I hope he got **** wages for trying to be a big time charlie leaving the last time on the back of one decent season

He was committed to Arsenal and fulfilled his contractual agreements.

He had a 4 year deal and Arsenal tried to get rid of him after 3 years (to Birmingham I think).

He stayed, served his 4th year and did a great job.

I don't have any problems with the manner in which he left the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

He had a 4 year deal and Arsenal tried to get rid of him after 3 years (to Birmingham I think).

The Modern Day Footballer you mean. Milan offered him more money so he jumped at it. Yeah the one Season thing pissed me more off then anything but I don't expect loyalty from no player today.

Looper007 wrote: »
    The Modern Day Footballer you mean. Milan offered him more money so he jumped at it. Yeah the one Season thing pissed me more off then anything but I don't expect loyalty from no player today.

Coupled with the fact that his father lives in and/or is from Milan.

I believe that in 2008, choosing Milan over Arsenal wasn't exactly a controversial decision.

In fact, Flamini won more trophies at Milan that he would have at Arsenal so it was a good decision after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Looper007 wrote: »

Bit of a double standard no? The club were looking to shift him the season before. It's more so the clubs own fault that he left.

TheGunns wrote: »
    We get that you don't like Wenger, it's not even close to a cult though

I love the guy. If you know me on here you'll have no doubt as to my support of the man. This is the first time I've had doubts though - the constant we are working 24/7 to bring in people rhetoric is wearing thin on me. Which is why I jumped on the blind faith thing.

We tried to flog him to Middlesbrough.

In fairness, the manner we signed him off of Marseille should have left no one under any illusions as to what kind of player he is in terms of loyalty. Besides Milan offered him a 6 figure salary we were never going to meet, he'd have been mad to blow ~40k a week out of loyalty. I wouldn't do it if I was player.

I do love how footballers are held to a different standard of loyalty to every other employee out there when you just know for the people pushing the loyalty thing that if another employer came and offered them x times their current wage they'd be off without a second thought.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement