Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Looper007 wrote: »
    The Modern Day Footballer you mean. Milan offered him more money so he jumped at it. Yeah the one Season thing pissed me more off then anything but I don't expect loyalty from no player today.

Arsenal let him go over the sake of less then £10k. They offered £50k whereas Milan offered £50k a week after tax.

When you look at the audacious undeserved contracts we went on to hand out in a heartbeat to the likes of Bendtner, Chamakh, Santos.....Flamster always done a job for us when called upon and has every right to be pissed off on that basis.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    He was committed to Arsenal and fulfilled his contractual agreements.

He had a 4 year deal and Arsenal tried to get rid of him after 3 years (to Birmingham I think).

He stayed, served his 4th year and did a great job.

I don't have any problems with the manner in which he left the club.

Also he is a right footed player and yet filled in at left back and played exceptional during our Champions league run in 05/06. He'd be a decent signing. I have no problem with players leaving on a bosman to be honest. Its their right. Up to the club to tie him down if they want him bad enough. Its the players who sign a contract and yet then try to force a move who i cant stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah I suppose I am wrong after all we left Lauren and Edu go the same way did we not

Yeah I suppose I am wrong after all we left Lauren and Edu go the same way did we not

+ He is great buddies with Cesc as they were both more or less starting off at Arsenal at the same time. They had a good central midfield partnership on occasions with Flamini breaking up the play nicely for Cesc. Could prove an asset for when Cesc does finally want to leave Barca ;)

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I miss Edu.The game that sticks out was that 3-2 win (I think?) away to Celta Vigo in '04, we played pretty poorly but his second was an abolute cracker.

I seem to remember there being a lot of stigma about our away form in Europe at the time, particularly against spanish teams and us answering a lot of critics that night.

Cant remember the manner in which Lauren left for Pompey (free or fee) but Edu went on a free. Edu wasnt the liveliest of players or a box to box player by any means but being Brazilian he had that match winning ability. Remember his tour de force v Celta Vigo in the CL back during the invincible season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Love that signing, great depth for the squad and adds something we dont have, along with another midfielder (Cabaye) and the middle of the parks looks ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

No probs with Flamini. Will make a great squad player and will offer great cover while Arteta is out injured.

Hopefully we'll see more of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

il probably be shot down for this but whats the deal with Bendtner? We're paying his wages, he has no desire to move to another club, why dont we use him in some shape or form as opposed to letting him rot in the reserves. He is a big time charlie full of his own self importance but he had his moments of class and could come in usefull
    At the very least we might encourage some other teams to get a look at him

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I miss Edu.The game that sticks out was that 3-2 win (I think?) away to Celta Vigo in '04, we played pretty poorly but his second was an abolute cracker.

I seem to remember there being a lot of stigma about our away form in Europe at the time, particularly against spanish teams and us answering a lot of critics that night.

We had stuffed Inter in the Bernabeu in November 03 so had answered them a bit before that but your spot on we had a poor record up to that year. 04 was bittersweet in many ways as we really really should have been good enough to beat Chelsea at Highbury. It was a heartbreaking night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

You're definitely not wrong. Nobody knows the truth. We're all entitled to our opinions and I've called a fair amount of players a shower of ***holes because they've left too :D

Looking at that video of Flamsters rocket above, does anyone else think Diaby almost looks like a basketballer on a court the way he seems to just glide around the field? :D To me he just has his unusual way of moving his feet. Both seem to move in tandem. Perhaps its just me or perhaps its the reason for his many injuries, i dunno :) Its just a pity we dont get to see it often enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Cant remember the manner in which Lauren left for Pompey (free or fee) but Edu went on a free.

Lauren went during the January window. Fee was initially undisclosed but 'Arry later announced that it was for £500,000 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

wonga77 wrote: »
    il probably be shot down for this but whats the deal with Bendtner? We're paying his wages, he has no desire to move to another club, why dont we use him in some shape or form as opposed to letting him rot in the reserves. He is a big time charlie full of his own self importance but he had his moments of class and could come in usefull
    At the very least we might encourage some other teams to get a look at him

Maybe in the cups to give Giroud a break. They're both similar enough in terms of style, tall and more suited to playing off another striker but Giroud is much much better at the role. To be honest, I hope Bendtner doesn't play for Arsenal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Any experienced day trip match travellers around?

After scoping cheap flights for a Saturday 3.00 kick off, but the times are tight. Be scheduled to land at 13.10 on Sat in Gatwick. Theoretically Gatwick Express and Tube should take an hour to get to Arsenal but has anyone tried anything like this before?

You can also get the direct Thameslink train to St Pancras / Kings X, which leaves you two stops to the ground via Piccadilly or Victoria Line.

Just jump on the next train that comes in heading for the smoke ;)

http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk/plan-your-journey/GTW/STP/arrive-2013-08-24T14:45:00/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Im not too fussed about seeing him play again either but its such a massive waste of money and talent, at least let him work for his wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Having Flamini back is good cover i guess..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Willian not 100% to join Spurs. He is said to have other options.
    I wonder is he trying to up the fee or are we in for him too? :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Arsenal let him go over the sake of less then £10k. They offered £50k whereas Milan offered £50k a week after tax.

When you look at the audacious undeserved contracts we went on to hand out in a heartbeat to the likes of Bendtner, Chamakh, Santos.....Flamster always done a job for us when called upon and has every right to be pissed off on that basis.

So you believe he would have stayed as long as Arsenal matched Milan's wages, and obviously paid him whatever signing on fee they were offering?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Luap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

sze
    jenkinson sagna mert gibbs
    flamini
    wilshere ramsey
    theo giroud cazorla

looking like this will be the line up v fulham. or will rosicky start instead of flamini i wonder and have us set up like last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wouldn't mind wilshere dropped, I thought he was very poor against villa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Oranage2 wrote: »

I worry myself has he peaked too soon.
    Injuries have held him back big time ro be fair but he needs a good season

Is the Flamster thing official?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Having Flamini back is good cover i guess..

Arsenal need squad players as much as they need quality starters at the moment. Shrewd enough signing for free.

I'm not on a wind-up or anything but it's mind-boggling that Wenger left the squad so thin before the start of the season. Fair enough the big signings are hard to pull off, but spend £10-20m or so on 3 or 4 players to fill out the squad.

Surely there's plenty of options out there that can improve the bench, regardless of the difficulty there in bringing in real quality signings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Oranage2 wrote: »

I think he's head and shoulders your best midfielder. He suffered from there being no holding midfielder, so he was probably the one asked to come deep most.

The whole shape of the midfield against Villa was a shambles and I would blame that on injuries and Wenger before I would blame it on Wilshere.

Don't forget that little turn in the build up to the goal. That was a moment of real quality that led to a goal, most would have booted it.

gosplan wrote: »
    So you believe he would have stayed as long as Arsenal matched Milan's wages, and obviously paid him whatever signing on fee they were offering?

Hard to really know but when you let a contract run right into the last year before properly sitting down to negotiations then there is always the risk of the player walking out on a Bosman. It would be hard to turn down Milan in any situation tbf especially when there was so much uncertainty at Arsenal. If Arsenal were serious about keeping him they would have tied him down alot earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Is it Offical that Flamini has signed for us then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I like flamini. He reminds me of fond times when we went on our run to the champions league final - he was heroic that season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Just thought I would throw this in here, robbed from the spurs meltdown William thread!

Look at chelseas midfield without William.

Chelski current midfielders:
    1 Juan Mata
    2 Oscar
    3 Mikel
    4 Victor Moses
    5 Andre Schurrle
    6Michael Essien
    7 Ramires
    8 Frank Lampard
    9 Kevin De Bruyne
    10 Marco van Ginkel
    11 Eden Hazard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Willian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Meh about Flamini. He will be a good cover player but Arsenal have a history of signing players for cover who end up getting way too much gametime. Still need another midfielder imo.

get the feeling we wont sign any other central midfielders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

stuchyg wrote: »
    Willian

William is easier on predictive text.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Raf32 wrote: »
    get the feeling we wont sign any other central midfielders

Yep, Arteta will be first choice with flamini as cover I think. Still, let's hope they spend big on other areas of the squad if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Flamini's a very sensible move, covers DM/RB/LB, with all of our injuries he will definitely get game time and you know you're getting a consistent, solid performer. Still need a big creative/goalscoring player though and a CB.

Raf32 wrote: »
    BBC say we could send 100 million, what I would do,
    Begovic - 15
    Richards/Sakho - 10
    Flamini - Free
    Cabaye - 15
    Di maria and Benzema - 60

Still think we need all them so flamini is a start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

whats flamini like these days? Is he good enough to be a squad player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Bale was listed on Real Madrid's official website before being taken down again. Pic here. Apparently same thing happened with Modric before.

So looks like that is done. Our chances of doing a deal with RM increasing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Came across all funny a few minutes ago. Can't describe the feeling at all. I maybe sense signings. Could this funny feeling be that i'm becoming ......... upbeat? ..... Can't say i've felt like this for a long time. Feel really strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Came across all funny a few minutes ago. Can't describe the feeling at all. I maybe sense signings. Could this funny feeling be that i'm becoming ......... upbeat? ..... Can't say i've felt like this for a long time. Feel really strange.

Ill have whatever your smoking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I feel like we won't sign anyone decent..

Hopefully I'm wrong:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

darego wrote: »
    surely if suarez changed his mind and is in fact staying 1 more season at liverpool, both him and pool would have been very public about the u-turn and either him and/or brendan rodgers would have made a statement to clarify everything to the liverpool fans

i am still hopefull over getting suarez

Gary Payne @garypayne19 20m

Another twist in the Luis #Suarez transfer saga in Friday's @guardian_sport. read online from 2230 tonight

could be very good or very bad news

Another twist in the Luis #Suarez transfer saga in Friday's @guardian_sport. read online from 2230 tonight

twist for me assumes he is staying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

Suarez to Madrid, Benzema and Di maria to us. :D

• Advertisement

Hard to really know but when you let a contract run right into the last year before properly sitting down to negotiations then there is always the risk of the player walking out on a Bosman. It would be hard to turn down Milan in any situation tbf especially when there was so much uncertainty at Arsenal. If Arsenal were serious about keeping him they would have tied him down alot earlier.

If he was playing seriously a year earlier, we would have been serious about keeping him.

It's not the club's or Wenger's fault he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Bet its something to do with Madrid

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

If the Guardian news tonight is about Suarez moving then it's probably the most pivotal moment of the summer for Arsenal in terms of signing players. It will be the catalyst that the transfer window has been crying out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

i've heard its a new contract with a 60m release clause. but i've heard that on twitter.

I'd much much much prefer benzema

Hyzepher wrote: »
    If the Guardian news tonight is about Suarez moving then it's probably the most pivotal moment of the summer for Arsenal in terms of signing players. It will be the catalyst that the transfer window has been crying out for.

Not a hope he's going to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement