Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Wenger has said Flamini is just at Arsenal to work on his fitness and he is doing that very well, but a lot saying this is down to the club just wanting to announce signings beforehand.

Ha said all players are fit no new injury worries

and on Benzema and Di Maria... "I don't want to speak about names. I leave that to you and you do it very well."

When asked on signings.. 'Every player's first question is 'do you play in the Champions League or not?' That is the first requirement'

'You'd be surprised how early we acted [in the transfer market]. [Sometimes] it doesn't come off'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Wenger has said Flamini is just at Arsenal to work on his fitness and he is doing that very well, but a lot saying this is down to the club just wanting to announce signings beforehand.

Ha said all players are fit no new injury worries

and on Benzema and Di Maria... "I don't want to speak about names. I leave that to you and you do it very well."

When asked on signings.. 'Every player's first question is 'do you play in the Champions League or not?' That is the first requirement'

'You'd be surprised how early we acted [in the transfer market]. [Sometimes] it doesn't come off'

So no flamini against Fulham?

jonny666 wrote: »
    So no flamini against Fulham?

I seriously doubt it will be announced before noon today so no I'd imagine.

Wenger: 'I'm confident [I'll make the signings I need]. We have some funds available'

On signing Flamini, Wenger: "I don't say there is no chance and I don't say there is a chance." Q So there is some chance? Wenger smiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

And yet when Gazidis announced we had a billion pound to spend earlier in the summer he also stated that us not having guaranteed CL football has never come up when trying to sign a player.

They need to start getting their lies straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

john cross (mirror) reckons they're waiting to announce a big name before they announce Flammers.

How long does it take to get paperwork done??!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Frisbee wrote: »
    And yet when Gazidis announced we had a billion pound to spend earlier in the summer he also stated that us not having guaranteed CL football has never come up when trying to sign a player.

They need to start getting their lies straight.
    Meh if a player has to ask us that he shouldn't be anywhere near our club!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Wilshere is about 70% fit and there's no way he should be playing 3 games in a week.

Roaster wrote: »
    Wilshere is about 70% fit and there's no way he should be playing 3 games in a week.

Agree, should start with poldi on the left tomorrow and santi in wisheres position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I get the impression that there won't be any announcements until Champions League qualification is assured. Switch off Twitter till next Wednesday

Meh if a player has to ask us that he shouldn't be anywhere near our club!

I don't know if they are looking to sign players of the caliber of Bezema and Di Maria Ill understand, if they end up only signing players like Cabaye it will be a very different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Agree, should start with poldi on the left tomorrow and santi in wisheres position

If Podolski isnt starting at the weekend, safe to assume something is up and he could be sold.

It would be bananas to sell him, bearing down on goal he is our best finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

greendom wrote: »
    I get the impression that there won't be any announcements until Champions League qualification is assured. Switch off Twitter till next Wednesday

I would be hoping that we are not waiting until Wednesday for things to happen.

Unless there is monumental self-destruction then I think it's fairly safe to assume we are through. They would have to score 4 without conceding. That is not going to happen, even on a bad day for us. They don't have the quality to do that.

jester77 wrote: »
    I would be hoping that we are not waiting until Wednesday for things to happen.

Unless there is monumental self-destruction then I think it's fairly safe to assume we are through. They would have to score 4 without conceding. That is not going to happen, even on a bad day for us. They don't have the quality to do that.

I know, but if lawyers are involved in drawing up contracts they could be holding things up until we're officially through.

I don't know if they are looking to sign players of the caliber of Bezema and Di Maria Ill understand, if they end up only signing players like Cabaye it will be a very different story.

I just meant surely they should know if were in the champions league at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    If Podolski isnt starting at the weekend, safe to assume something is up and he could be sold.

I really like him but I wrote last season I think he might be sold. he's on one of the highest wages at the club and not a first team regular, I don't care about wages but I can see why wenger would want to off load him

Theo is a better finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cant tell if your being sarcastic or not?lol

theo's a good finisher, and improving. But Poldi's more clinical and the stats bear this out.

theo's a good finisher, and improving. But Poldi's more clinical and the stats bear this out.

I certainly don't think anyone hits the ball harder

I think theo is the better finisher with one on ones,just look at his goals.

• Advertisement

I think theo is the better finisher with one on ones,just look at his goals.

well this is true, but it's because theo's pace sets him up for more one v ones, on a shots to goals basis poldi's ahead.
    Either way i'll be sad if we get rid, and if we get rid and don't replace with a guy from the top bracket - Di Maria - then I'll be livid.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Spuds have supposedly enquired about pod! Story on metro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Mickeroo wrote: »

cant believe people get paid to write such crap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Were looking to buy a left winger and a striker

Pod can't already get in the team

I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't mind seen him going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I'd probably swap him for Bale.

AW on signings "I'm confident, yes because of the desire of the players to join us".

Something big is gonna go down before the window shuts I'm very very confident

AW on signings "I'm confident, yes because of the desire of the players to join us".

That's not much good if we're offering nothing close to the the fee that the selling club are requesting.

It only serves to unsettle their player, get up the selling clubs back and then we're basically right back to where we started.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I hope it's not the interest payment on all that cash we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Were looking to buy a left winger and a striker

Pod can't already get in the team

I'm in the minority here but I wouldn't mind seen him going

Having Podolski on the bench is exactly the type of strength in depth we need imo. Shouldn't be letting him go; there'll be more than enough games for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

The Metro today also reckons Koscielny is a doubt for tomorrow's game after getting kicked in the face the other night...

cson wrote: »
    Having Podolski on the bench is exactly the type of strength in depth we need imo. Shouldn't be letting him go; there'll be more than enough games for him.

Exactly. Madness to let him go I think

The Metro today also reckons Koscielny is a doubt for tomorrow's game after getting kicked in the face the other night...

Shows the quality of journalism at that periodical. Hopeless !!

cson wrote: »

Can't agree would rather giroud or an ox off the bench

And remember World Cup year if he won't start ( no chance he will) he might want too move

I thought there was a touch of sulkiness when he came on the other night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

And remember World Cup year if he won't start ( no chance he will) he might want too move

He'll never get in that German team anyway

I didnt pick up on the sulkiness :pac: but there will be plenty of game time to go around. Squad is thread bare and he can play up top or on the wing. Id be all for holding on to him. Even if we signed another striker. We need quality through out the squad. I hate making comparisons but look at UTD. They have Hernandez as pretty much 4th choice striker. We need something similar. Its not too hard to imagine a scenario where Giroud and a new striker are both injured. Or tired from playing too many games. Having Podolski to pick up some of the slack sounds ideal to me.

That said, if he is sulking or looking to leave he should be let go.

• Advertisement

jonny666 wrote: »
    I didnt pick up on the sulkiness :pac: but there will be plenty of game time to go around. Squad is thread bare and he can play up top or on the wing. Id be all for holding on to him. Even if we signed another striker. We need quality through out the squad. I hate making comparisons but look at UTD. They have Hernandez as pretty much 4th choice striker. We need something similar. Its not too hard to imagine a scenario where Giroud and a new striker are both injured. Or tired from playing too many games. Having Podolski to pick up some of the slack sounds ideal to me.

That said, if he is sulking or looking to leave he should be let go.

Squad is threadbare now and he is nearly surplus to requirements what will he be if we sign 3/4 players

L'prof wrote: »
    I'd probably swap him for Bale.

Bale's already arrived at the Bernabeu...

BSWIJ9MCIAI0KUk.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

danlen wrote: »
    He'll never get in that German team anyway

Yeah, that guy with 111 caps has no chance of getting in. 5 appearances in 2013.

Squad is threadbare now and he is nearly surplus to requirements what will he be if we sign 3/4 players

Atm Santi and Podolski are the only players who can play on the left. Ox is out for 3 months at least. Who knows what condition he might come back in. Could be next year before we see the best of him. Even if we signed 2 attacking players id still keep him.

Yeah, that guy with 111 caps has no chance of getting in. 5 appearances in 2013.

Comment was obviously in relation to the starting XI at the 2014 World Cup. Pretty clear he won't get into the team.

Thanks for you're excellent supply of statistics though.

• Advertisement

Comment was obviously in relation to the starting XI at the 2014 World Cup. Pretty clear he won't get into the team.

Thanks for you're excellent supply of statistics though.

He's playing at the moment, starting a good few times. Not sure where this clarity that he won't get in the team that he's in right now is coming from.

He's playing at the moment, starting a good few times. Not sure where this clarity that he won't get in the team that he's in right now is coming from.

In the current qualifying campain Germany have played 6 games and Podolski has started exactly zero of them.

To me that would be pretty clear evidence he's not going to be getting into their starting XI for the World Cup itself. Bar two of Ozil/Reus/Mueller/Gotze get a bad injury of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭ronjo

In the current qualifying campain Germany have played 6 games and Podolski has started exactly zero of them.

To me that would be pretty clear evidence he's not going to be getting into their starting XI for the World Cup itself. Bar two of Ozil/Reus/Mueller/Gotze get a bad injury of course.

bolding makes you even more clever!

Ah ignore me, I am just grumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Roaster wrote: »
    Agreed, he looked out on his feet with 10 minutes to go on Wednesday, can only think he was left on because they thought it would help improve his fitness? Seemed a bit silly
    Considering how deep Wilshere has been playing would Santi really suit that? Ramsey, Cazorla and Rosicky as our 3 in the middle seems a bit reckless.

No idea why he hasn't gotten more game time but I think if they were selling him they wouldn't have given him 10 minutes vs Fenerbache as that cup ties him I think.

ronjo wrote: »
    bolding makes you even more clever!

Ah ignore me, I am just grumpy.

I knew I should have just went the classic CAPS LOCK emphasis. :D

So no Flamini for tomorrow it would appear? Gambling again.

All of those are better than him, yes, but Ozil doesn't play wide. Or at least he shouldn't. And to be fair your original comment was that he wouldn't get in the team.

All of those are better than him, yes, but Ozil doesn't play wide. Or at least he shouldn't. And to be fair your original comment was that he wouldn't get in the team.

Which is still the case. He hasn't been in the team for any of the campaign thus far and most likely won't be in the future, bar injury to at least a couple of those mentioned.

I don't see how me saying he wouldn't get in the German team is all that much of a debatable topic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

****ing sign Flamini ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Which is still the case. He hasn't been in the team for any of the campaign thus far and most likely won't be in the future, bar injury to at least a couple of those mentioned.

I don't see how me saying he wouldn't get in the German team is all that much of a debatable topic?

Because he consistently plays for the German team? :confused:

Germany national team
    Year Apps Goals
    2004 8 2
    2005 12 8
    2006 17 12
    2007 7 2
    2008 16 7
    2009 9 6
    2010 14 5
    2011 12 1
    2012 12 1