Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

AdamD wrote: »
    Because he consistently plays for the German team? :confused:

Germany national team
    Year Apps Goals
    2004 8 2
    2005 12 8
    2006 17 12
    2007 7 2
    2008 16 7
    2009 9 6
    2010 14 5
    2011 12 1
    2012 12 1
    2013 5 2
    Total 111 46

Did you read any of my previous comments?

What I claimed: Podolski wouldn't get into the German team for the upcoming World Cup.

Facts: World Cup qualifying campaign so far; Germany played 6 games, Podolski started zero.

He is not going to oust any of those ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

All of those are better than him, yes, but Ozil doesn't play wide. Or at least he shouldn't. And to be fair your original comment was that he wouldn't get in the team.

he meant the team as the starting 11

which i'd agree with him on, thats the team, the rest is the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The games are coming thick and fast now and it's maddening that we have such a small panel. It is inviting injuries and preventing players from recuperating.

Get the finger out Arsene before treatment room looks like Casualty.
    It's actually bordering on neglect of the team and our season.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

On the bright side: http://instagram.com/p/dUcNoZA_s2/

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

danlen wrote: »
    Did you read any of my previous comments?

What I claimed: Podolski wouldn't get into the German team for the upcoming World Cup.

Facts: World Cup qualifying campaign so far; Germany played 6 games, Podolski started zero.

He is not going to oust any of those ahead of him in the pecking order right now.

Ok I get what you're saying, he will probably make the squad though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Soldie wrote: »
    On the bright side: http://instagram.com/p/dUcNoZA_s2/

*runs*

All the supportive comments are hilarious :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Am I the only one who'd still like to see Nicky B as an option off the bench?

I think he should be registered if we don't buy another striker. If we do he can go on loan to whoever will take him.

Ofc nightmare scenario would be Flamini on a free, Bendnter back in the squad, Sagna covering CB and Miyaichi as the new winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yes.

The greedy ****er can waste away as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, there'd be the danger that our old Plan B of Bendtner on the wing would come back into the fold.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

As things stand we need Bendtner.

Hopefully we get our deals done before D-day and we can send him off to Kazakhstan or somewhere.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

More than anything we need a win tomorrow. Then at least we are 1 pt better off than last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Hyzepher wrote: »
    More than anything we need a win tomorrow. Then at least we are 1 pt better off than last year

Worrying thing is from these first three fixtures, we collected all 9, so two big wins needed.

FearDark wrote: »
    As things stand we need Bendtner.

Hopefully we get our deals done before D-day and we can send him off to Kazakhstan or somewhere.

Nah they beat Celtic, he wouldn't get game time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭DenMan

Did we draw our first two games last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

DenMan wrote: »
    Did we draw our first two games last season?

Ye Stoke and Sunderland - first two games, two draws.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Ye Stoke and Sunderland - first two games, two draws.

And some supporters were happy with these results!

It's funny how Arsenal results over the last 10 years have gone. In years that we do well and challenge we have more losses but tend to draw a lot less. It's not always the losses that bring you down the table, it's the draws against the teams you should be beating.

Some years we were only a few losses behind the teams ahead of us but ended up being 20+ points worse off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

And some supporters were happy with these results!

How many times have I seen this post now? More often than justifiable imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Sky Sports (Andy Burton): "When Ancelotti came, 3 players approached him and told him they wanted to leave: Kaka, Benzema and Di Maria."These 3 players were jeered in recent friendlies and are unhappy, Ozil is rumoured with with Alonso's injury it is unlikely.for Kaka, there are no suitors who can take him, or are willing to match his wage demands.Reports circulating of Suarez coming to the club, but that would ONLY be possible if Benzema was to leave."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

cson wrote: »
    There'd be the danger that our old Plan B of Bendtner on the wing would come back into the fold.

:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Guardian reporting that Arsenal have briefed journos that they're looking at a 46 million move for Benzema.

It's all about whether Madrid want Suarez instead. Yesterday's BR statement interpreted as the 'come and get him' that it was.

I think we deserve it tbh. Lash in another 25 for Di Maria as well. Resign Flamini and give us a halfway decent CB and I would ****ing sing Wenger's praises to the rooftops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

pay 45 for benzema when we could have got a more prolific goal scorer in higuain for 10mil less. meh

we might be finally spending some money on a good player and i'm not that happy wtfook is wrong with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Benzema is a better all rounder than the Hig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

darego wrote: »
    pay 45 for benzema when we could have got a more prolific goal scorer in higuain for 10mil less. meh

we might be finally spending some money on a good player and i'm not that happy wtfook is wrong with me :D

I think Benzema is the all round better player than Higuain and Wenger looks to his strikers to add more to the team than just scoring goals. Benzema would be some player for us and Di Maria well this lad is one ofthe most under rated players in world football, anytime I watch Madrid he seems to be causing as much trouble for defenses as Ronaldo would, he just doesn't score as much as him.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Benzema is a better all rounder than the Hig.

how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

You get a player though who is much much better outside the box though than Higuain, while still being a considerable goal threat.

Personally, I feel we don't necessarily need a 30 goal a season striker, considering Giroud, Podolski, Walcott and Cazorla all got double digit returns across all competitions last season. Add a 15 goal a season striker who might help create chances so all the above score 3 or 4 more each and you pretty much have the same effect.

Also last season, I feel in the tight games we struggled more in creating clear cut chances more than we did to put them away, which is why I think a more versatile striker would be a better fit for us rather than a clinical finisher.

how?

just from watching madrid I think he links up with the team better - Higs probably a better finisher, scores more with less chances, but Benzema always seemed to me to have more ability.

Granted there's not much in it though.

At this stage I actually don't care about the cost as long as I feel he'll improve the team - and for me he does that.

Despite the way the summer has gone so far, AW might actually get out of this looking like a genius. Depends on a few things happening our way but still possible to strengthen the team considerably and only the freak result against Villa the only negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Still confident

Hon wenger

• Advertisement

Despite the way the summer has gone so far, AW might actually get out of this looking like a genius. Depends on a few things happening our way but still possible to strengthen the team considerably and only the freak result against Villa the only negative.

To be honest, it's showed up both the best and worst of Wenger. At the start of the summer he seems to have had a really clear plan to bring in a forward and a midfielder who would be of 'world class' ability. The problem is, the targets he went for initially (Jovetic, Bender, Pogba, Suarez etc.) were just too ambitious. And rather than panic buy he's opted to hold out and wait til the end of the window to see if targets of that calibre can be patiently coaxed away.

Anyway, my take is that without us fans realizing it (largely due to the bias of the press, who consistently put a negative spin on every move he makes) he was attempting to go beyond our best expectations for this summer, by attempting to assemble a squad that would not just secure CL qualification but potentially compete for trophies too. My reading of where the problem comes from though is that he doesn't have someone along side him who could sort out the fantasy from reality (a Baldini or Dein, whatever you want to call it), hence the long periods of apparent inactivity as Wenger reverted to the extended network of former players and scouts to fill him in as to what might be attainable. Simply put, he's had too much on his plate the Summer for him to be effient about things and we've lost ground as a result.

What confuses me most though is where the bid for Cabaye rests in all this... was it just to appease fans, distract the press or is it recognition he may not be able to attract the players of the calibre he desires?

Maybe Cabaye was just a stop gap or backup player and if 10m was accepted it would have been an almost guaranteed profit when we eventually sold him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

T
    What confuses me most though is where the bid for Cabaye rests in all this... was it just to appease fans, distract the press or is it recognition he may not be able to attract the players of the calibre he desires?

To piss off Pardew :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

To be honest, it's showed up both the best and worst of Wenger. At the start of the summer he seems to have had a really clear plan to bring in a forward and a midfielder who would be of 'world class' ability. The problem is, the targets he went for initially (Jovetic, Bender, Pogba, Suarez etc.) were just too ambitious. And rather than panic buy he's opted to hold out and wait til the end of the window to see if targets of that calibre can be patiently coaxed away.

You could be pretty much spot on apart from the Pogba link is only recent ;), and is still floating about a bit with rumours of Juventus are looking at Kondogbia another possible Arsenal target as Pogba's replacement.

1185301_566481566732371_1980116361_n.png

You could be pretty much spot on apart from the Pogba link is only recent ;), and is still floating about a bit with rumours of Juventus are looking at Kondogbia another possible Arsenal target as Pogba's replacement.

No, the Pogba link was initially made way back in May (see http://arsenalssillyseason.wordpress.com/). Most outlets reported we made contact as early in June, some even reporting we'd made a bid back then. Quotes from Moratta from early in the summer would seem to back this up (although it's not clear from them if we were among the clubs snooping around).

Pogba himself wants first team football. That's why he left United, and, despite being their best player at times toward the end of last season, this season he's still after finding himself behind Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal at Juve (Marchisio is the weakest of the three but is some what undroppable as he's the fans favourite at the Juventus stadium). I think the player himself would probably be open to a move and Wenger opted to drag this one out in the hope the situation changes, rather than drop it outright as we did Bender.

Juve have been unequivocal in their statements he would not be sold, but the rumours haven't died down which makes me think there's the possibility of the player being restless and angling for a move. Given Juve seem to prise loyalty more than most big clubs I feel they may opt yet just to cash in, assuming they can find a replacement.

No, the Pogba link was initially made way back in May (see http://arsenalssillyseason.wordpress.com/). Most outlets reported we made contact as early in June, some even reporting we'd made a bid back then. Quotes from Moratta from early in the summer would seem to back this up (although it's not clear from them if we were among the clubs snooping around).

Pogba himself wants first team football. That's why he left United, and, despite being their best player at times toward the end of last season, this season he's still after finding himself behind Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal at Juve (Marchisio is the weakest of the three but is some what undroppable as he's the fans favourite at the Juventus stadium). I think the player himself would probably be open to a move and Wenger opted to drag this one out in the hope the situation changes, rather than drop it outright as we did Bender.

Ah right my apologies I only heard of it during the week :o, with the reported 20 million bid gone in in the last week. Apparently I don't know how true it is Pogba is also open to a move because he currently earns about 10k a week at Juventus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Is the Cabaye deal completely dead I wonder?

Just logged onto me Paddy Power account and I had a free €5.01 bet. They gave everybody who were signed up as an Arsenal fan a free bet because Wenger hasn't spent any money yet :pac:

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Is the Cabaye deal completely dead I wonder?

we're rumoured to be increasing our bid to 16m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Ah right my apologies I only heard of it during the week :o, with the reported 20 million bid gone in in the last week. Apparently I don't know how true it is Pogba is also open to a move because he currently earns about 10k a week at Juventus.

£20m bid -> Accepted?
    > Meet wage demands + Promise 1st team football -> Enjoy having the best up and coming MF in world football.

£20m bid -> Refused? -> £30m bid --> Meet wage demands + Promise 1st team football -> Enjoy having the best up and coming MF in world football.

Forget about Di Maria, Pogba is the real gem. He'd be your most important player within 1 year and one of the best players in the league within 3.

I've put it on over 2.5 goals vs Fulham :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

M5Fw62D.jpg

Anybody read Arseblog, Wilshere saying anybody to question the manager is ridiculous. You have to give it to Wenger never once has he ever seemed to lose the trust of his players. I get the feeling if we keep the faith with him he is going to build something very special again, maybe not this year but definitely next year. I am very optimistic now that we are going to add some serious quality to the team in this window and in January too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Juve have been unequivocal in their statements he would not be sold, but the rumours haven't died down which makes me think there's the possibility of the player being restless and angling for a move. Given Juve seem to prise loyalty more than most big clubs I feel they may opt yet just to cash in, assuming they can find a replacement.
    If you look at this the other way, you'll notice why Pogba is very unlikely to want to move. Pogba is the 1st choice backup for ALL of Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal. As a result he might get more playing time than ANY of those three. Marchisio is out for a month at the beginning of the season - it's all Pogba.

Juve director Marotta's words are quite clear too: “We do not have the slightest intention of listening to any offer which may arrive for our midfielder.”

Also when Conte signed a renewal with the club, he named two players not to be sold: Vidal and Pogba.

Why would he want to compete for an upper middle table spot in the brits, when he's already got two trophies in a year and going for more, with a serious challenge in CL! And in a team with a real plan for future, in which he is very much key.

Also if the player was angling for a move, wouldn't you think the most notorious agent of them all, Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola, was making a big big noise about it. He isn't, because the rumour is just another rumour...clearly enough for a Juve fan to be absolutely unfazed and amused. Just like the earlier rumours of selling Marchisio or Vidal...

tl;dr - dream on! Meanwhile, I'll be spotting more of this: http://i.imgur.com/7TIIs0z.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I find it tough to be optimistic until we get pictures of quality signings on arsenal.com. Seen all this talk before, don't buy it quite yet.

1237589_619543471410835_309103638_n.jpg

snowblind wrote: »
    If you look at this the other way, you'll notice why Pogba is very unlikely to want to move. Pogba is the 1st choice backup for ALL of Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal. As a result he might get more playing time than ANY of those three. Marchisio is out for a month at the beginning of the season - it's all Pogba.

Juve director Marotta's words are quite clear too: “We do not have the slightest intention of listening to any offer which may arrive for our midfielder.”

Also when Conte signed a renewal with the club, he named two players not to be sold: Vidal and Pogba.

Why would he want to compete for an upper middle table spot in the brits, when he's already got two trophies in a year and going for more, with a serious challenge in CL! And in a team with a real plan for future, in which he is very much key.

Also if the player was angling for a move, wouldn't you think the most notorious agent of them all, Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola, was making a big big noise about it. He isn't, because the rumour is just another rumour...clearly enough for a Juve fan to be absolutely unfazed and amused. Just like the earlier rumours of selling Marchisio or Vidal...

tl;dr - dream on! Meanwhile, I'll be spotting more of this: http://i.imgur.com/7TIIs0z.gif

Aren't you just delightful.

What is it with this summer and opposition fans coming in here and being asses.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Aren't you just delightful.

What is it with this summer and opposition fans coming in here and being asses.
    How was I being an ass? By being a realist?

snowblind wrote: »
    How was I being an ass? By being a realist?

Nah just your general tone, ya should pop on over to the Liverpool thread I reckon there's a few lads in there who you would get on famously with ;).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement