Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

greendom wrote: »
    Can you explain/expand on that?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/25/world-cup-2010thierry-henry

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8824705.stm

and so on. I'm sure you are familiar with the consistent reports of French unrest.

To expand more on my point while in jest it was to the poster who said he would be concerned Suarez would cause a rift as the French players might be friendly with Evra. I don't think it will b a problem as Evra has been the center of many French problems and in MY opinion there will be no such issue. I don't think loyality to compatriots is going to be something we have to worry about. The prof is French and he is leading this charge. Excuse my language if it offended you. I can assure you I don't think French footballers are prostitutes and have many beautiful relationships with various other French people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Think we will get word about Bernard tomorrow? Final over with and all that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think we went for an illegal approach on Suarez in the hope of a transfer embargo imposed on us so we wont have to spend any money :D

That was a joke by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mirror reporting that Liverpool will sell him for £50m. Either we move quick before Real and pay that or hope that Suarez bites Rodgers or does someone to drastically reduce his value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Mirror reporting that Liverpool will sell him for £50m. Either we move quick before Real and pay that or hope that Suarez bites Rodgers or does someone to drastically reduce his value.

I don't think speed will make any difference - if Madrid are interested they will bid before any deal goes through with us. I can imagine Liverpool going to the Bernebeau with a stack full of Suarez dvds if Madrid don't come to the auction unaided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

There is a lot of shit being posted in here at the moment. The team we have got us 4th last year, as some people are at pains to remind us. During last season, we had three new players who had never played with either each other or the rest of the team before, which means a "bedding in" period was required.

Poldi also admits to being injured for the last few months of the season and still managed to get us a few goals.

Given all that, plus the fact Chelsea only finished two points ahead of us and Utd may take a while to settle, I see no reason why the current team couldn't finish in the top three at the very least, if not higher.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

**** that.

We wouldn't pay an extra 4.5 million for huguain.

Load of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

No way is Suarez with all his baggage worth £50m. I doubt you'd find a single non pool fan who thinks that.

Not a Liverpool fan at all but I think he is worth it.
    TheGunns wrote: »
    I would think 150k is the max, doubt anyone is currently on that

Podolski is our highest, on ~£110,000.
    darego wrote: »
    would have took higuain for 33.5~35 mil over suarez any day of the week

Suarez is one of the best in Europe. Higuain isnt even one of the best in Spain. Suarez is a much better player who we wouldnt have to worry about adapting to the league.
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Hig going to Napoli just shows what a useless shower we have running our club. Now it's Suarez or bust.

FFS :mad:

Yeah, I'd much rather have the Liverpool owners running us :rolleyes:
    gosplan wrote: »
    On a positive note we can all maybe agree on...

I had genuine concerns before this summer that Kronke would be happy to finish fourth every year and take as much money out of the club as he wanted.

Regardless of who we end up with, at least the era of austerity/stadium building is coming to an end and we seemingly have an owner who wants us to compete and doesn't mind overspending a bit to get us the big signings.

Then why did he wait so long?
    We should make Liverpool an offer of 50 million and then go about our business of filling the other gaps in the team.

We dont agree on much, but I agree with you on that.
    KINGVictor wrote: »
    I agree with you to a large extent but then the accountants will be doing a lot of Cost/Benefit analyses especially if signing Suarez will cost 50 Million- thats a lot of nuts for one player. A counter argument is that we could have signed Hig and Fellani for that amount- However given the lack of alternatives we have at the moment, I will wholeheartedly support a 50 million move for him (if) they can make another good signing alongside Suarez.

That's a deluded counter arguement. Higuain cost £30m, no way in hell would we get Fellaini for only £20m.
    Top 4, yay!

Ask Liverpool how much they'd give for top 4 every season.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Ask Liverpool how much they'd give for top 4 every season.
    Should I also go ask someone with cancer what they'd give for meningitis?

Should I also go ask someone with cancer what they'd give for meningitis?

Honestly Button wtf are you on about.

This thread is some joke at the minute.

• Advertisement

HazDanz wrote: »

I thought we were coming up with ridiculous, irrelevant questions for me to ask people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Has been for at least a week now.

Though his choice of analogy was quite over the top(!), I can see Buttonftw's point, 4th not good enough now that we have the means to aim above that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Why would Liverpool threaten legal action over a clause which, according to them, effectively does **** all?

Why would Liverpool threaten legal action over a clause which, according to them, effectively does **** all?

Exactly and why would Arsenal be so keen on triggering it ?

To answer my own question there seems to be confusion about the contract wording. Suarez and his team believe it to be a release clause, Liverpool convinced it enables the player to speak to the club who made the offer.

I magine Liverpool would have been clever enough with the wording and will be very surprised if a release clause has bben triggered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

F**K! Just noticed this is a new thread, 48 pages in 3 days???! What did I miss??

jordainius wrote: »
    F**K! Just noticed this is a new thread, 48 pages in 3 days???! What did I miss??

Literally not a thing. Probable a headache but that's about it :P

greendom wrote: »
    Exactly and why would Arsenal be so keen on triggering it ?

It clearly p*ssed them off so there must be a basis for their want to make an issue.

It must be a gateway of sorts they didn't want open to speed the process up.

Let's get it done. £50m would certainly test their resolve...

BP-fbYpCQAAuniu.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Reports are now saying Suarez is angry over Liverpool's rejection of the offer as he thought the 40million triggered a release clause once they finished outside the top 4 and is he is now consulting his lawyers.

Oh and this thread has gone full retard the last few days, you never go full retard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The clause and this saga of late remind me of the Third Floor in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone. Harry and the gang(Arsene and negotiators) open the door which Dumbledore( Liverpool)does not want them to know about, or go near. They open the door ( the clause) and behind it lies a three headed dog that can be very dangerous and that isn't afraid to bite (Suarez).

Reports are now saying Suarez is angry over Liverpool's rejection of the offer as he thought the 40million triggered a release clause once they finished outside the top 4 and is he is now consulting his lawyers.

Oh and this thread has gone full retard the last few days, you never go full retard.

Check the Liverpool thread for Suarez's understanding of contracts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Jeremy Wilson ‏@JWTelegraph 1m
    Arsenal expect Luis Suarez to tell Liverpool today that he wants to leave and join them #afc #lfc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

LOL at ESPN yesterday during Liverpool's preseason game in Melbourne :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Reading real fans were calling suarez name after yesterdays match, I just cant see bale wanting to go to real, its a big change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Reading real fans were calling suarez name after yesterdays match, I just cant see bale wanting to go to real, its a big change.

Yeah but the good news is that Ancelotti had them line out in a 4-3-2-1. This is similar to the 4-3-3 he used at PSG.

He used a 4-3-3 at Milan towards the end and switched between a diamond and 4-3-3 at Chelsea.

Overall, it seems as though the 4-3-3 or similar Christmas tree is his preferred formation.

Yesterday, it was Ozil & Ronaldo behind Benzema.

So it seems that Benzema and Suarez would not play together in any of Ancelotti's preferred formations.

So Suarez would be a back-up or competition for Benzema but that's all.

Now, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Real did splash 50m on a backup but st the sane time they'd be mad not to spend 60 on Bale first if they're only playing one striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

My tickets came today for the emirates cup and showed it to my dad who has never been to the emirates. He was so happy about it and thanked me.

Moments like that are priceless.

Cant wait. a whole day at the emirates. two matches. excellent!

Suarez is ours. he will go for 45m plus bonus/add on fees depending on apperances and disipline :)

On a serious note i can expect us to offer 45m max and the rest will be paid on bonuses etc.

Looking forward to seeing him at the emirates cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Suarez is ours. he will go for 45m plus bonus/add on fees depending on apperances and disipline :)

On a serious note i can expect us to offer 45m max and the rest will be paid on bonuses etc.

Looking forward to seeing him at the emirates cup
    You'll also get to see Hig there too. In the wrong jersey for my liking though.

I'm kinda starting to rethink and wish we had just gone with Higuain, cause then at least this would all be over!

However I still think footballistically (:p) that Suarez is the better option for us certainly.

football wise suarez is a no brainer. As good as RVP if not better plus younger and has more years left in him.

check this video out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5sWfPCqvqg&feature=c4-overview&list=UUpryVRk_VDudG8SHXgWcG0w

I have a great feeling for next season. i think we will challenge for the title. The team looks very relaxed and together again. The chemistry and vibe i see from these videos and pictures are great.

What was probably lacking before was that chemistry and togetherness in the team. You never saw this much with the old arsenal. You really need a good vibe and chemistry to help become a great side and i believe this team has that.

I am hoping Suarez will continue that and wont become a rotten apple in our side. i hope he can get along with all the other lads. Maybe then he will change his attitude when he sees how arsenal do things behind closed doors.

If we can turn drunken people like Tony Adams sobar and world beaters, we can help make suarez cut out the antics and become a better person on and off the pitch.

• Advertisement

Why is everyone so sure Suarez is joining?

Honestly if real come in I reckon we have no chance.

Starting to think 2 25 million pound players would be a better option, than the 50 million Liverpool want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

What's he like off the pitch? I've only seen pictures of him carrying his daughter. Looks like a family man. He's not going around burning crosses and chomping on random strangers is he?

cos if he is, then thats not cool Luis. Not cool.

Why is everyone so sure Suarez is joining?

Honestly if real come in I reckon we have no chance.

Starting to think 2 25 million pound players would be a better option, than the 50 million Liverpool want.

Real really have the power to make it go either way entirely. If they go after Bale, then we would likely get Suarez. And if they go for Suarez he'll probably go there and Bale would be left at Tottenham and we'd be left with our dicks in our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

What would people be happy with here come Sept 1? Out of interest.

If we did get Suarez would everyone be happy with that one big signing?

I probably wouldn't. The way I see the squad right now I think we need about 4 players; Striker, Winger, CM and backup CB. I don't think we'll get that from Wenger. He'll possibly use Gnabry and Miquel for the Winger and CB elements of that. He can't not sign a CM in my mind. We have Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey in there right now. Any of them pick up an injury for any length of time and we are ****ed. Arteta in particular.

I'd love to see him throw £30-40m at Lyon for Gonalons and Grenier. If you added Suarez to that and picked up a backup CB then we'd be alright imo. You'd have to hope the likes of Chamberlain can have a much bigger impact this season.

I agree with the above, last year going forward we were one of the worst threats I hate seen under Wenger, boring and predictable, and couldn't create the chances to kill off a game, this position needs to be looked at too, but I'm sure we are lookin at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

farna_boy wrote: »
    There is a lot of shit being posted in here at the moment. The team we have got us 4th last year, as some people are at pains to remind us. During last season, we had three new players who had never played with either each other or the rest of the team before, which means a "bedding in" period was required.

Poldi also admits to being injured for the last few months of the season and still managed to get us a few goals.

Given all that, plus the fact Chelsea only finished two points ahead of us and Utd may take a while to settle, I see no reason why the current team couldn't finish in the top three at the very least, if not higher.

I don't think it's about 2nd, 3rd or 4th at all.
    We should be in it to win it. Try thinking positively :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

If we get Suarez I dont think we'll chase anyone else. The writing was on the wall when Sagna played CB a couple of weeks ago. Mert, Kos, Miquel and Sagna are our CB's until Verm is back. There wont be a midfield signing either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

What would be funny is if arsenal spent the 50 million and he turned out ****e again like torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Someone like Di Maria would be a great signing for ye imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

cson wrote: »

I probably wouldn't. The way I see the squad right now I think we need about 4 players; Striker, Winger, CM and backup CB. I don't think we'll get that from Wenger. He'll possibly use Gnabry and Miquel for the Winger and CB elements of that. He can't not sign a CM in my mind. We have Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey in there right now. Any of them pick up an injury for any length of time and we are ****ed. Arteta in particular.

I'd love to see him throw £30-40m at Lyon for Gonalons and Grenier. If you added Suarez to that and picked up a backup CB then we'd be alright imo. You'd have to hope the likes of Chamberlain can have a much bigger impact this season.

Suarez, Bernard, some young CB in the Mertesacker mould, a combative DMF.

You're right though. The DMF is vital as we can't cover an injury to Arteta.

Mert is similar I think. We need another stopper in defence so we don't ever have to try Verm and Kos together again. Were we linked with that young ugly Greek fella?

People are making noises about someone who can provide LB cover as well but in fairness this can't be a priority. You can't do much better than 2 lbs and a CB that can play there. At some point you just have accept it as bad luck and switch jenkinson or play Rosicky there or something.

• Advertisement

I probably wouldn't. The way I see the squad right now I think we need about 4 players; Striker, Winger, CM and backup CB. I don't tshut storm continues to blow we'll get that from Wenger. He'll possibly use Gnabry and Miquel for the Winger and CB elements of that. He can't not sign a CM in my mind. We have Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey in there right now. Any of them pick up an injury for any length of time and we are ****ed. Arteta in particular.

I'd love to see him throw £30-40m at Lyon for Gagainst Real Madrids and Grenier. If you added Suarez to that and picked up a backup CB then we'd be alright imo. You'd have to hope the likes of Chamberlain can have a much bigger impact this season.

Grenier scored a wonder goal last night for Lyon against Real Madrid.They'll probably go and buy him too sit on the bench. As to your main point we do need to strengthen in Central midfield and at centre back and I'm hoping work is ongoing there while the Suarez ****-storm continues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Rosicky at LB would be a disaster :o but I get what you're saying

Can see Suarez and a midfielder and maybe another cheap signing, that'd be our lot. Not the end of the world if Suarez doesn't work out, would be more than happy with the Gonalons and Grenier deal from above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

niallo27 wrote: »
    What would be funny is if arsenal spent the 50 million and he turned out ****e again like torres.

Suarez has already proved himself in the EPL.
    If anything our system of play will even improve him and make him a top goal-scorer for a few years.
    He will work for us and we will work for him. Win/win.

Yeah we still need cover in defense and midfield on top of the top class attacker.

People are making noises about someone who can provide LB cover as well but in fairness this can't be a priority. You can't do much better than 2 lbs and a CB that can play there. At some point you just have accept it as bad luck and switch jenkinson or play Rosicky there or something.

Exactly. Absolutely no need to sign a player that can cover CB/LB, as you said we should be looking at getting a young player in the Per mould. Monreal and Gibbs with TV able to play there too is massive cover for LB. Even at RB we have Sagna (who looks to be staying which I'm delighted with), Jenkinson and Rambo can and has done a very good job there too.

Its Arteta really that I'm very worried about. He does such a crucial job for that team that you can't really quantify until he isn't there. We really need someone to cover him and I have to think we'll get someone in otherwise there's no way Wenger would have let Coquelin go on loan. It'd be shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Mert is similar I think. We need another stopper in defence so we don't ever have to try Verm and Kos together again.

Verm & Kos wasn't the problem, Mert & Verm was, because Mert didn't have the pace to cover for Verm when he decided, as he does, to go walkabouts.
    We have Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey in there right now. Any of them pick up an injury for any length of time and we are ****ed. Arteta in particular.

I'd love to see him throw £30-40m at Lyon for Gonalons and Grenier.

In fairness we have Cazorla, Rosicky, Chamberlain and on the basis of this tour Zelalem soon enough as well. I think Grenier would be great, anyone see this ridiculous goal from yesterday?...

Sadly I think he's signed a new deal with Lyon though. When you think of the price for Suarez, Fellaini's £22m no fuss buy-out clause seems a good deal. Could it be that Arsene is waiting to see what happens with Cesc? if we spend £45m on Suarez and bought Fellaini we might leave ourselves unable to activate our buy-back clause.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think Ramsey will do really well for us this season. It's Wilshere I'm more concerned about, I think it could take a while for him to get back on it.

CM and striker are the top priorities for me. An attacking midfielder and a defender would be nice on top of that.

Exactly. Absolutely no need to sign a player that can cover CB/LB, as you said we should be looking at getting a young player in the Per mould. Monreal and Gibbs with TV able to play there too is massive cover for LB. Even at RB we have Sagna (who looks to be staying which I'm delighted with), Jenkinson and Rambo can and has done a very good job there too.

Its Arteta really that I'm very worried about. He does such a crucial job for that team that you can't really quantify until he isn't there. We really need someone to cover him and I have to think we'll get someone in otherwise there's no way Wenger would have let Coquelin go on loan. It'd be shooting yourself in the foot otherwise.

Very true regarding Arteta. Wenger isn't a fool, he is well aware of what he needs and cover for Arteta must be his next priority after all this striker stuff is sorted with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Very true regarding Arteta. Wenger isn't a fool, he is well aware of what he needs and cover for Arteta must be his next priority after all this striker stuff is sorted with.

i'm sure he's working on it, we weren't linked for Lars Bender until the bid was rejected. I'm certain there are more dealings going on behind closed doors than just the Suarez saga.

• Advertisement

Greniers goal reminds me of Pires. That same sort of nonchalant class about him.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement