Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

snowblind wrote: »
    If you look at this the other way, you'll notice why Pogba is very unlikely to want to move. Pogba is the 1st choice backup for ALL of Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal. As a result he might get more playing time than ANY of those three. Marchisio is out for a month at the beginning of the season - it's all Pogba.

Juve director Marotta's words are quite clear too: “We do not have the slightest intention of listening to any offer which may arrive for our midfielder.”

Also when Conte signed a renewal with the club, he named two players not to be sold: Vidal and Pogba.

Why would he want to compete for an upper middle table spot in the brits, when he's already got two trophies in a year and going for more, with a serious challenge in CL! And in a team with a real plan for future, in which he is very much key.

Also if the player was angling for a move, wouldn't you think the most notorious agent of them all, Pogba's agent, Mino Raiola, was making a big big noise about it. He isn't, because the rumour is just another rumour...clearly enough for a Juve fan to be absolutely unfazed and amused. Just like the earlier rumours of selling Marchisio or Vidal...

tl;dr - dream on! Meanwhile, I'll be spotting more of this: http://i.imgur.com/7TIIs0z.gif

For the record, I'm not discounting any of that, if anything I believe it to be the more likely scenario... but for the fact Wenger hasn't given up on it yet. I get the feeling he has some angle on it we don't. Why would he walk away from Bender and not Pogba? Still feel it's highly unlikely to happen though.

It's a bit beside the point though, but I'd disagree on one thing: Juve are further away from being serious contenders in the CL than we are imo, or at least no better. They have the same problems with a lack of depth that we do and, although their strike force has been heavily reinforced, I'm not confident their starting 11 is any better than ours. Compare the the performances of the two clubs against Bayern last season, we at least gave Bayern a run for their money in the second leg, Juve had to resort to damage limitation!

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Nah just your general tone, ya should pop on over to the Liverpool thread I reckon there's a few lads in there who you would get on famously with ;).
    General tone, of showing unfavourable details in regards to something you want?

At least I didn't insult anyone...;)

For the record, I'm not discounting any of that, if anything I believe it to be the more likely scenario... but for the fact Wenger hasn't given up on it yet. I get the feeling he has some angle on it we don't. Why would he walk away from Bender and not Pogba? Still feel it's highly unlikely to happen though.

It's a bit beside the point though, but I'd disagree on one thing: Juve are further away from being serious contenders in the CL than we are imo, or at least no better. They have the same problems with a lack of depth that we do and, although their strike force has been heavily reinforced, I'm not confident their starting 11 is any better than ours. Compare the the performances of the two clubs against Bayern last season, we at least gave Bayern a run for their money in the second leg, Juve had to resort to damage limitation!
    I'd say if there's a 50 million bid, there might be talk. 30, be it pounds or whatever, will not cause any hesitation in the Juve camp.

And for the other point, it's a can of worms. Let's just say that our record against Bayern was better than that of Barcelona and we have strengthened the exact weaknesses we had. Plus Pogba is boooooming. I think our squad is pretty deep atm. Let's come back to this at the end of the season ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

How was I being an ass? By being a realist?

Actually, you said Arsenal would be competing for an upper mid-table spot.

Arsenal finished 4th last season and lost no key players and their young players can only have improved. Add to the fact we will sign 2 or 3 players soon.

You can not call Arsenal a team competing for 7th-10th and claim to be a realist at the same time.

Also well done for judging Arsenal on their first game of the season. You must have put a lot of money on them when they beat Everton 6-1 :)

I'm joking of course. But I think Arsenal deserve a little more respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I'd say if there's a 50 million bid, there might be talk. 30, be it pounds or whatever, will not cause any hesitation in the Juve camp.

And for the other point, it's a can of worms. Let's just say that our record against Bayern was better than Barcelona's and we have strengthened the exact weaknesses we have. Plus Pogba is boooooming. Let's come back to this at the end of the season ;)

50 million pound is an over estimation of both his worth and how much Juventus value him.

A €35m bid could mean a big decision would have to be made, all depending on whether or not Pogba want's to leave of course.

If he doesn't want to leave at all, €45m won't be enough.

If he does, a £30-35m bid from Arsenal would be very tempting for a player Juve got for free last year

Personally, I wouldn't sell him at any price if I was them

And for the other point, it's a can of worms. Let's just say that our record against Bayern was better than Barcelona's and we have strengthened the exact weaknesses we have. Plus Pogba is boooooming. Let's come back to this at the end of the season ;)

My girlfriend is a Juve fan so I'm really hoping we might get a chance to play ye some time this season! Though I may come to regret that should we win :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Lukas-Podolski.com ‏@Podolski10 1m
    Getting instructions by the boss in training. Team is hot for the derby...;) #afc #derby #poldi #9 #aha #podolski pic.twitter.com/Zq8g5tHSoM
    Hide photo
    BSXcg_QIUAAzqZn.jpg
    hard to imagine he wants out with all the random happy crap he tweets!

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Actually, you said Arsenal would be competing for an upper mid-table spot.

Arsenal finished 4th last season and lost no key players and their young players can only have improved. Add to the fact we will sign 2 or 3 players soon.

You can not call Arsenal a team competing for 7th-10th and claim to be a realist at the same time.

Also well done for judging Arsenal on their first game of the season. You must have put a lot of money on them when they beat Everton 6-1 :)

I'm joking of course. But I think Arsenal deserve a little more respect.
    Fair enough, the upper middle table bit was just me being a bit cheeky and I thought it was transparent as such. I do claim to be a realist about the other parts of my message though!

Not judging Arsenal on the first match, didn't see it. I'd wish you would do better than all of the other "big" clubs. But...I have my doubts. I'll keep them to myself from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Hmmm interesting

DC ‏@DLDN22 32m At the start of the window I was firmly 'Wenger in'. Once it closes, based on what's happened and what I've heard, I could want him to go.

I'm still hopeful this summer won't be a complete disaster.

Ah ffs lads... it was clearly a bit of good humoured banter! Arsenal fans in are becoming way to quick to jump on people's back these days. Got to stop reading the tabloids!

It's Friday, time to relax with a beer. :cool:

• Advertisement

50 million pound is an over estimation of both his worth and how much Juventus value him.

A €35m bid could mean a big decision would have to be made, all depending on whether or not Pogba want's to leave of course.

If he doesn't want to leave at all, €45m won't be enough.

If he does, a £30-35m bid from Arsenal would be very tempting for a player Juve got for free last year

Personally, I wouldn't sell him at any price if I was them
    It sure is an over estimation! Juve have no need to sell, no need for that money. (Or if you think that is naive, read: Juve have no way of spending it in the right way, to improve on him with that money, this late in the transfer window)
    Why would they sell a player AT the value he is worth when they need his services and plan to do so in the future? And knowing that his value is only going to go up. You got the same idea as Marotta and Conte, that's why they are both determined to keep him. And from every word and gesture of the man himself, I believe that he wants to stay. The only claims to his willingness to leave have been on peoples twitters and message forums like this. Enough said...however promising the project of Arsenal, and illustrious the team in everyones eyes at the moment, I doubt Pogba has any reason to consider a move ;)

My girlfriend is a Juve fan so I'm really hoping we might get a chance to play ye some time this season! Though I may come to regret that should we win :D
    I'd love to see that myself! See you in the match thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I find it tough to be optimistic until we get pictures of quality signings on arsenal.com. Seen all this talk before, don't buy it quite yet.

I be more over the moon when I see it come up on arsenal.com. Until then I be still a little weary. Hoping I'm proved wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Things are quiet lads :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Wow, quietest this thread has been in months. Did we make a signing or something?

wonga77 wrote: »
    Things are quiet lads :(

Around here that's a good sign usually means people have nothing to moan about ;).

Enjoy while it lasts :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Will It be easy to get a stream for the match in the morning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Have a look at this lads just wet meself laughing at it, fair play Gilles not letting a former Spurs player score at the Emirates haha legend:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Wooo could put a bid in for Cabaye myself if I won it!

I just did. Missed the euromillions tonight so might aswell do that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

eerily quiet here, calm before the storm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'll always remember Gilles for digging Diego Simeone and giving him a few stitches.

Nasty game against Lazio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Off to London in a few hours, my first away game. Been practicing my abusive chants over the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Is their a new thread or something? 5 posts in the last three hours (excluding this one) is very low considering how active the thread has been since it was made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is their a new thread or something? 5 posts in the last three hours (excluding this one) is very low considering how active the thread has been since it was made.

It's the nerves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Could be the calm before a massive ****storm if the result doesn't go our way tomorrow :p

dorgasm wrote: »
    Could be the calm before a massive ****storm if the result doesn't go our way tomorrow :p

Hopefully it won't come to that, at least it shouldn't could also be the nerves as the end of the transfer window draws closer everyone waiting with bated breath kinda thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Hopefully it won't come to that, at least it shouldn't could also be the nerves as the end of the transfer window draws closer everyone waiting with bated breath kinda thing.

Pretty much that. I was gripped to the transfer updates during the summer but I now greet every new mentioned target with detached scepticism; hence I can't be bothered debating the virtues of Benzema etc unless something happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

anymore AFCamden tweets?

what do you think it was about?
    the obvious is wengers' refusal to spend.

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    anymore AFCamden tweets?

what do you think it was about?
    the obvious is wengers' refusal to spend.

No he's mentioned it a few times in the last week or two that Wenger has been the stumbling block this summer not money not Dick Law or Gazidis and has said a few times this is the first time he has questioned Wenger and his decisions going by what he has heard from inside the club.

In saying that he is still hopeful he will turn it around and hasnt given up hope yet. Reckons there is up to 100m at Wenger's disposal and he has been hesitant to splash it. Old habits die hard I would imagine hopefully the club is putting pressure on him and he does pull off the moves and brings in the players everyone wants to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

No he's mentioned it a few times in the last week or two that Wenger has been the stumbling block this summer not money not Dick Law or Gazidis and has said a few times this is the first time he has questioned Wenger and his decisions going by what he has heard from inside the club.

In saying that he is still hopeful he will turn it around and hasnt given up hope yet. Reckons there is up to 100m at Wenger's disposal and he has been hesitant to splash it. Old habits die hard I would imagine hopefully the club is putting pressure on him and he does pull off the moves and brings in the players everyone wants to see.

i know they aren't given much credit or whatever but ages ago on the sunday supplement they were on about arsenal, wenger, not spending, etc.
    and it came up it that a reason for it was because david dein isn't there any more, not because he was great at what he did, contacts, etc. but because of wenger being indecisive & him counteracting that

they reckoned wengers' really bad for it, humming and hawing (words they used) over players and missing out or not making bids because of it
    Dein would get player he knew wenger wanted, convince him, push him to do it, whatever you want to call it & now there's nobody to do that or at least nobody as good as Dein was/that has as much influence with or on wenger

so i wouldn't be totally surprised if it was wenger not spending but i don't think he does it out of anything other than what he thinks is best, if you know what i mean

also i'm sure he has a significant impact on some players the club would be trying to sign
    or keep for that matter, did you see wilsheres' - heir apparent to the Mr. Arsenal throne - comments today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Did you see wilsheres' - heir apparent to the Mr. Arsenal throne - comments today?

What, this?
    Wilshere wrote:
    I want to win things with Arsenal and I want to be there in the future, but if the boss leaves then things could change.

Arsenal are always in my heart and by signing a deal for the next five years shows my commitment to them and their commitment to me, so at the moment everything is good.

Arsène Wenger has been there for so many years and he's always delivered trophies. OK, we've had a little dip in the last five or six years, but he's a great manager and people who question his ability are ridiculous.

He's qualified for the Champions' League for 16 years so I think he's the right man for the job.

Lets just hope it doesn't come to that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

FFS I went against all my morals last week and picked spurs to win and the LMS tells me I lost.

If they took the 3 points off them id be happy but what a sh!t site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Off to London in a few hours, my first away game. Been practicing my abusive chants over the past few days.

"Sami you're a ****" is my personal favourite.

NaNaNaNaNaNaNa etc etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Though it's been bungled, particularly with the cases of Higuain & Suarez, one overriding positive about the transfer market this season is the calibre of players Arsenal are chasing.

People have been pissed off with Spurs spending but Higuain, Suarez, Bender, Di Maria, Benzema are all well beyond the talent they're bringing in.

Now only if a couple of them would actually sign.

At this point, and I really think I'm accurate with this one ...

The worst case scenario is lots of squad players on deadline day

While the best case scenario is really good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

gosplan wrote: »

Yeah, but that is a bad scenario.
    We have a team and squad full of squad players.
    We need the spark.
    We need the player that lifts the others on an off day, not let them crumble.
    We need the player that turns a nil all into a one nil win.

Yeah, but that is a bad scenario.
    We have a team and squad full of squad players.
    We need the spark.
    We need the player that lifts the others on an off day, not let them crumble.
    We need the player that turns a nil all into a one nil win.

Absolutely agree. But I think the club are prioritising those players.

There's blame to be attached for the fact we're still waiting for a signing but I like where they're aiming.

Bale was announced as completed this morning by Marca so hopefully Madrid get bored over the next few days and move for Suarez.

Benzema seems to be wanted there by the manager & he doesn't want out ... but he was also booed off the other day.

I still wouldn't hold out too much hope for him.

Di Maria looks to he on his way out though.

The problem is that we've left it do late that the two players would have to decide they want a move to Arsenal in the next few days and that's unlikely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

gosplan wrote: »
    Though it's been bungled, particularly with the cases of Higuain & Suarez, one overriding positive about the transfer market this season is the calibre of players Arsenal are chasing.

People have been pissed off with Spurs spending but Higuain, Suarez, Bender, Di Maria, Benzema are all well beyond the talent they're bringing in.

Now only if a couple of them would actually sign.

At this point, and I really think I'm accurate with this one ...

While the best case scenario is really good

It's a very good point about the calibre of players we're after but that only makes a difference if we get them.

I don't agree with the deadline day thing either; it yielded Santos and Park who were difficult to shift and the latter is still an Arsenal player amazingly.

Is the match on tv today?

• Advertisement

It is on BT Sports 1, mate.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    It is on BT Sports 1, mate.

Sound, didn't even think about checking BT sport.

3 points today?

3 points today?

As long as we don't put in a cowardly performance.

Have Giroud as captain of my fantasy team so it all comes down to 12:45 for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I'm really hoping Giroud hits big today, mostly for the win but I think if he really gets going then we could have a winner.

Better ref than last week wouldn't go astray either

TheGunns wrote: »
    I'm really hoping Giroud hits big today, mostly for the win but I think if he really gets going then we could have a winner.

Better ref than last week wouldn't go astray either

Yes, Howard Webb is obviously a lot more consistent than most others.

cson wrote: »
    It's a very good point about the calibre of players we're after but that only makes a difference if we get them.

I don't agree with the deadline day thing either; it yielded Santos and Park who were difficult to shift and the latter is still an Arsenal player amazingly.

But there have been good deadline day signings too.

Santos was pretty good about moving on though. Initially he was a decent part of the squad and even got a couple of important goals.

Last year, he was found out defensively. We bought Monreal and he left at the first chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

No Wilshere today. Correctly called by some of the lads on here! Fair play.

Midfield of Rosicky, Ramsey and Santi. Podolski on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Someone start a match thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If anyone has a receipe it would be much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Nice piece by Rachel Wyse in the indo today.
    I love her even more now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement