Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I am not believing any of these stories any more until I see the player in Arsenal kit on Arsenal.com. Sick and tired of the constant speculation bull**** in the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

jonny666 wrote: »
    Why arent we buying a central defender?? I really hope Wenger doesnt think we can cope. There isnt even twitter talk of us buying one!

There is were still being linked with Sakho and Richards. We shall see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Sagna played well at the weekend and Verm's back in sept. I'm sure he wont buy a CB.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Sagna played well at the weekend and Verm's back in sept. I'm sure he wont buy a CB.

I don't know he has already stated publicly he wants a defender, all well and good counting Sagna as a CB but when he does play there it only leaves us with one option for RB which ain't good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You might be right but that's still way too thin.

It's 5 players for 3 positions. 2 absences and we're left with no cover.

It's not that I'm being pessimistic either. We've played three games and had no cover in all if them at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

gosplan wrote: »
    You might be right but that's still way too thin.

It's 5 players for 3 positions. 2 absences and we're left with no cover.

It's not that I'm being pessimistic either. We've played three games and had no cover in all if them at some point.

The bench looked pitifully weak on Saturday - everyone can see this. I'm confident that won't be the case once the transfer window has closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Sanga did play well and im worried wenger will see it that way. Verms fitness cant be trusted. He has been injured more then he has been fit the last two years. Cover for center back is vital I think

jonny666 wrote: »
    Sanga did play well and im worried wenger will see it that way. Verms fitness cant be trusted. He has been injured more then he has been fit the last two years. Cover for center back is vital I think

Hope we can get Sakho from PSG - more than cover, he would provide competition.

greendom wrote: »
    Hope we can get Sakho from PSG - more than cover, he would provide competition.

Big time, he's the kind of athletic defender i like and would be suited to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Which of their feet for that price? The right or the left?

OK - so I undervalued both - how much did Real pay for both ? - my point is that either would be a far better prospect than Cabaye. I think we should be looking at Sahko as well - however I don't think Arsene will sign such a high profile centre half. I can see us making signings - what i don't see are the "world class" players we need - we had a chance to make a statement of intent at the start of the summer and missed that oppertunity - we got a reprieve with the Fenerbache result that at least guarantees us Champions Lge qualification and should hand us back a huge initiative when looking to sign players ... I honestly believe there are players out there who would improve the team and squad - not so sure the will and the negotiating skills are in place to get those players - hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

We will 100% not sign a CB, Flamini will be brought in which can cover RB and wenger will think we are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Raf32 wrote: »
    We will 100% not sign a CB, Flamini will be brought in which can cover RB and wenger will think we are good to go.

And I think we will be good to go

You not think so??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Anymore rumblings on Flamini actually? Im just finished work and was looking forward to a glut of posts to read on here but not much

Eminems new album in coming November though so that will suffice :pac:

And I think we will be good to go

You not think so??

I do as well just like seeing all our best players playing so all the injuries annoying me at the moment. Least Kos is back for sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I do as well just like seeing all our best players playing so all the injuries annoying me at the moment. Least Kos is back for sun.

I would rather he buy a RB

But seen as choice is flamini I think we're well stocked back there now

I would rather he buy a RB

But seen as choice is flamini I think we're well stocked back there now

Me too, but if we got a kepper, Di Maria, Cabaye and a striker I wouldnt mind

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Maybe a little crazy but I'd love to see what AW could do with Torres

Hyzepher wrote: »

sly bid if chelsea sign a striker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Just when you thought Podolski couldn't be any more likeable, it turns out he has his own foundation to help disadvantaged kids and adults http://lukas-podolski-foundation.com/seite.php?name=home&lang=en Top man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Think we'll get 2 players, max. Square pegs in round holes will cover the other areas.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Think we'll get 2 players, max. Square pegs in round holes will cover the other areas.

think we will get 3, he has said he is short one at the back, middle and up front so think he wont go and leave us short or will lose any backing he has left including mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

This window could not have gone any worse. Absolute disaster.

Not so sure about Flamini - if he is the same player who left, yes definitely. Why have Milan let him go? If he can't do a job for Milan why would he be able to do a job for us ? This kind of reminds me of the Silvestre/Benayoun scenario ... not good enough for other teams but good enough for us :( ... I'd prefer a defensive midfielder who is more capable than Flamini - I'd actually prefer if we signed Sahko and maybe used TV5 as a covering defensive midfielder/LB cover ... whatever about his current defensive form, I believe he has enough quality to fill the defensive midfield role. Ideally I'd like us to sign a defensive holding midfielder, a link player to link midfield and attack - the Bergkamp role - and a winger who can operate left and right. Giroud is a good enough target man and he will score goals - maybe a player who will sit in and around him would be a better option than another "goalscoring centre forward" like Benzema (don't believe we'll get him anyway). Di Maria looks interesting and has a bit of previous linkage to us ... as I said a while back it's about fitting the pieces together with what we have - I couldn't see Suarez, Benzema, Grenier or Reus fitting our shape ... I could see Ozil/Khedira/Toulalan fitting as defensive midfielders (in Arteta's absence - Khedira probably suited better to this role than Ozil) ... there's definitely a gap now that Ox is injured ... I'm as confused as most are here - why did we shift so much deadwood and allow players to go out on loan unless we had a definite strategic plan for the transfer window? ... it does't look too planned to me ... but then of course we (the fans) are always the last to know ... all the rest is media speculation and rehashed bull shi - ite ... interesting week ahead

Santi101 wrote: »

If it had closed last night I would agree

Eminems new album in coming November though so that will suffice :pac:

God I'd rather rip my ears off than listen to him: p.

I have No problem signing Flamini but if he is being signed for anything other than pure squad filler and we don't sign better defensive options I will not be happy.

Sakho or Richards is what we need not Flamini, Flamini can be the Grimandi type a player to fill in a few positions when were stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

ugsparky wrote: »
    Not so sure about Flamini - if he is the same player who left, yes definitely. Why have Milan let him go?

Milan offered him a new contract. He declined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Hold your horses, the transfer window only starts for us after CL qualifications, so we still have 2 days to go before OUR transfer window starts :D

In future we should ban all transfer gossip until a few days before the window closes, if only for our sanity :o

ugsparky wrote: »
    Not so sure about Flamini - if he is the same player who left, yes definitely. Why have Milan let him go? If he can't do a job for Milan why would he be able to do a job for us ? This kind of reminds me of the Silvestre/Benayoun scenario ... not good enough for other teams but good enough for us :( ... I'd prefer a defensive midfielder who is more capable than Flamini - I'd actually prefer if we signed Sahko and maybe used TV5 as a covering defensive midfielder/LB cover ... whatever about his current defensive form, I believe he has enough quality to fill the defensive midfield role. Ideally I'd like us to sign a defensive holding midfielder, a link player to link midfield and attack - the Bergkamp role - and a winger who can operate left and right. Giroud is a good enough target man and he will score goals - maybe a player who will sit in and around him would be a better option than another "goalscoring centre forward" like Benzema (don't believe we'll get him anyway). Di Maria looks interesting and has a bit of previous linkage to us ... as I said a while back it's about fitting the pieces together with what we have - I couldn't see Suarez, Benzema, Grenier or Reus fitting our shape ... I could see Ozil/Khedira/Toulalan fitting as defensive midfielders (in Arteta's absence - Khedira probably suited better to this role than Ozil) ... there's definitely a gap now that Ox is injured ... I'm as confused as most are here - why did we shift so much deadwood and allow players to go out on loan unless we had a definite strategic plan for the transfer window? ... it does't look too planned to me ... but then of course we (the fans) are always the last to know ... all the rest is media speculation and rehashed bull shi - ite ... interesting week ahead

Wait what, Suarez /Benzema wouldn't. suit out shape??? Of coarse they could slot straight in at CF.

Ozil as a DM what? He is an out and out brilliant world class AM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Flamini? Bloody hell.

Is this what we get Top 4 for? To buy average freebies like him. Ridiculous.

Nothing Wenger can do to salvage the window now, no business will be enough. We're gonna battle with Spurs for 4th because of Wenger's failures this Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

think we will get 3, he has said he is short one at the back, middle and up front so think he wont go and leave us short or will lose any backing he has left including mine.

Sagna is our 4th CB. We wont get reinforcements there. Certainly not a starter anyway. No real chance of us getting the marquee signing we crave either, teams are too reluctant to let their best players go so late in the window.

• Advertisement

Wait what, Suarez /Benzema wouldn't. suit out shape??? Of coarse they could slot straight in at CF.

Ozil as a DM what? He is an out and out brilliant world class AM.

Agreed about Ozil but not quite true - have seen Ozil taking the ball off centre backs when playing for Madrid - and as I said "fit with our current shape" - we have two centre forwards with proven goalscoring ability - Giroud and ... Podolski who is more of a centre forward than a winger ... hence Di Maria/Giroud/Theo or Di Maria/Podolski/Theo ... that was my thinking and the reference to "fitting in with our shape" ... trying to guess Arsene's thinking on squad shape and balance ... but I also said I was confused :o ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Just when you thought Podolski couldn't be any more likeable, it turns out he has his own foundation to help disadvantaged kids and adults http://lukas-podolski-foundation.com/seite.php?name=home&lang=en Top man.

Always liked him. Fair ****ks to him.

Why is there talk of being farmed out? He's done well for Arsenal, no?

... On something entirely different ... did anyone see the Barca v Malaga game last evening ... Malaga had a young blond Polish guy playing who looked the biz and had only just got his permit cleared to play in La Liga ... he looked class ... there are players out there if the scouts/manager know where to look ... and not necessarily at a cost in excess of £20M ... Pawlowski ... on loan from Widsew Lodz ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Flamini? Bloody hell.

Nothing Wenger can do to salvage the window now, no business will be enough. We're gonna battle with Spurs for 4th because of Wenger's failures this Summer.
    Wenger logic: Signing Flamini like buying two players, get cover for midfield and fullback positions. Plus he's French and Free.
    How many more boxes could he want ticked. Is he injured!!!

Flamini? Bloody hell.

well 2 out of 3 ain't bad - we've held onto our top names and got rid of a load of dead wood. The third part is pretty important, admittedly but that's still to come hopefully. Good things come to those that wait ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

He's a better squad player than what we've left go. Should be good from the bench and occasional starts.

Calm down, the window isn't closed. There will be more signings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Please pleas please sign someone.
    Thanks!

SkySportsNews: Nicklas Bendtner is holding talks with Crystal Palace.
    There is a god :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He is God

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Wonder what our wage bill will be with him and chamack and a few others gone? It must be down at least 300k a week

• Advertisement

well lads what would you think if Verm was converted to a reserve DM, he can play a bit of football, tackle and run, his problems at CB are caused by bad positioning and some errors, but with Kos and Per behind him that wouldn't be an issue.

It's something i wouldn't object to in principle as he is the club captain after all.

well lads what would you think if Verm was converted to a reserve DM, he can play a bit of football, tackle and run, his problems at CB are caused by bad positioning and some errors, but with Kos and Per behind him that wouldn't be an issue.

It's something i wouldn't object to in principle as he is the club captain after all.

... and he's Belgian ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Think about what you've just said there. Then think about why we look so vulnerable on the counter attack at times.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Re: Vermaelen at DM, I just don't see it. I reckon he'd be lost in midfield.

Think about what you've just said there. Then think about why we look so vulnerable on the counter attack at times.

fair point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hyzepher wrote: »

This comes up every few months and makes me want to jump off a bridge. Hes ****e, there's no looking past it.

****e under Ancellotti
    ****e under AVB
    ****e under Di Matteo
    ****e under Benitez
    Will be ****e under Mourinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Feckin Sky Sports announcing Arsene Wenger coming up next.
    Thought it was a transfer announcement.
    More rubbish as Arsene said absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Looks like we have pretty much agreed a fee with Madrid for Di Maria, but it will take some convincing to get him to want to leave. Can't blame him neither for wanting to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

dvemail wrote: »
    Looks like we have pretty much agreed a fee with Madrid for Di Maria, but it will take some convincing High wages to get him to want to leave. Can't blame him neither for wanting to stay.

Fixed that for you :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I don't see why people are expecting signings before the end of the Fenerbache game.

Take a hypothetical situation where a player wants to join us to play Champions League football, and that's a big deciding factor in joining us. Then they won't sign anything until Champions League football is secured. Their lawyers will make sure that they won't be signing till qualification is official.

Plus there is the fact that Wenger said there'll be no signing till after the Fenerbache game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement