Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So unless we qualify for the Champions League we sign nobody?
    Great to see other teams don't use the same criteria and are progressive.
    They seem to think they can pass out the parked car and are prepared to spend to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Quazzie wrote: »
    I don't see why people are expecting signings before the end of the Fenerbache game.

Take a hypothetical situation where a player wants to join us to play Champions League football, and that's a big deciding factor in joining us. Then they won't sign anything until Champions League football is secured. Their lawyers will make sure that they won't be signing till qualification is official.

Plus there is the fact that Wenger said there'll be no signing till after the Fenerbache game.
    Surely that would have been decided last Wednesday at 9 30pm. We won 3-0 away from home for god sake, the tie is finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

So unless we qualify for the Champions League we sign nobody?
    Great to see other teams don't use the same criteria and are progressive.
    They seem to think they can pass out the parked car and are prepared to spend to do it.

I imagine we'd have a list of secondary targets had Champions League not been attained. That list is nestling at the bottom of a bin somewhere, I would imagine. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

AdamD wrote: »
    Surely that would have been decided last Wednesday at 9 30pm. We won 3-0 away from home for god sake, the tie is finished.
    We lost a 4 goal lead to Newcastle in half a game. Officially nothing is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

We lost a 4 goal lead to Newcastle in half a game. Officially nothing is over.

This.

If anyone can concede 4 goals to an inferior team at home it is us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

And when exactly is the last time we conceded 4 goals at home? Nevermind to an inferior team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

newbie2 wrote: »
    This.

If anyone can concede 4 goals to an inferior team at home it is us.

Based on last weeks match, I'm pretty sure my 5-a-side team would give Fenerbahce a good game :pac:

Arsenal play well, should be a comfortable hammering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

And when exactly is the last time we conceded 4 goals at home? Nevermind to an inferior team

When career defining decisions need to be made and millions of pounds spent, players and clubs need certainties not almost certainties

maximoose wrote: »
    Based on last weeks match, I'm pretty sure my 5-a-side team would give Fenerbahce a good game :pac:

Arsenal play well, should be a comfortable hammering.
    If I was making a move from a Champions league like Real Madrid, I'd be looking for more certain words than "should".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭MaxPower89

Wasn't Flamini referred to as 'the running man'? Is he still so?

Barely saw him play for Milan, but if he has the energy and tuffness that he had before he left, then I'm happy to see him join us. We are short squad players at this stage, so they all count. We don't want a repeat of last season and get dumped out of the cups to Bradford etc, when we rest Santi, Arteta, Ramsey etc, so sign him up.

• Advertisement

Cant remember 4 and tbh i doubt Fener have the quality but we conceded 3 against Villa and probably should have been 4 given that they hit the inside of the post.

We cant leave anything to chance. Fener have nothing to lose.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I don't see why people are expecting signings before the end of the Fenerbache game.

Take a hypothetical situation where a player wants to join us to play Champions League football, and that's a big deciding factor in joining us. Then they won't sign anything until Champions League football is secured. Their lawyers will make sure that they won't be signing till qualification is official.

Plus there is the fact that Wenger said there'll be no signing till after the Fenerbache game.

Is CL football all Arsenal can offer these days? The lack of CL football doesn't seem to hurt other clubs - are they so much more appealing than us. Or is it just the money talking?

MaxPower89 wrote: »
    Wasn't Flamini referred to as 'the running man'? Is he still so?

Barely saw him play for Milan, but if he has the energy and tuffness that he had before he left, then I'm happy to see him join us. We are short squad players at this stage, so they all count. We don't want a repeat of last season and get dumped out of the cups to Bradford etc, when we rest Santi, Arteta, Ramsey etc, so sign him up.

Flamini set a record for amount of KM covered in a champions league game back in 2007. Think he might have also done similar in the Premier league.

Havent seen much of him the last few years and its fair to say the tempo in Serie A is a bit slower then the EPL so i would doubt he had to cover as much ground

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Is CL football all Arsenal can offer these days? The lack of CL football doesn't seem to hurt other clubs - are they so much more appealing than us. Or is it just the money talking?

When you say other clubs (looking at just EPL) only City and Spurs have really spent.

Not knocking what Spurs have done because they are giving it a go but I dont believe any of the players they signed are in the category of player that would insist on CL football, they are probably just below that.

For us Cabaye if wanted should sit in that category the other players link e.g. Rooney, Suarez, Benzema, Di maria etc. would definetly insist unless there was a Man City/Chelsea type project underway.

In say that I am not convinced we will pull in any of these players either way!

Soups123 wrote: »
    When you say other clubs (looking at just EPL) only City and Spurs have really spent.

Not knocking what Spurs have done because they are giving it a go but I dont believe any of the players they signed are in the category of player that would insist on CL football, they are probably just below that.

For us Cabaye if wanted should sit in that category the other players link e.g. Rooney, Suarez, Benzema, Di maria etc. would definetly insist unless there was a Man City/Chelsea type project underway.

Many teams have spent money in the EPL so far --
    http://www.betinf.com/england_transfer.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

http://www.betinf.com/england_transfer.htm[/QUOTE]

I forgot Willian (although not sure if thats done). Who would you have liked from everything else other that what City and Chelsea got? Spurs have done well but I would really have hoped we would sign from a category one more level up, not knocking there business but its 1 level below a Suarez, Di Maria.

Spending money is fine but if it has to better the first 11 otherwise is pointless. And as I said saying all that I am not convinced we will get players of that in but the point remains

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Personally I think it's a cop out that we've been fed the excuse of buying players until after we've qualified for the group stages of the Champions League. We've had long enough all summer and yet all we've managed to get in is Sanogo.

Spurs and Liverpool have managed to bring players in. I know others will argue that we've been looking to transfer in a higher class of player, but I don't know. It just smacks of desperation now, the players we're being linked with.

I can see us ending up with Cabaye and Flamini and that's it. I hope to God I'm proven wrong. We desperately need options up front and in defence, and yet it looks like both players mentioned above are our targets. I'd love an Eduardo type player to compliment our attack. I hope I'm just venting here. Come Tuesday and if our squad hasn't at least 2-3 quality players more, I can see this being a very tough season for us Arsenal supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

anyone have a sneaky feeling about rooney?

Raf32 wrote: »

What, that he'll end up at Chelsea? Ye

• Advertisement

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Personally I think it's a cop out that we've been fed the excuse of buying players until after we've qualified for the group stages of the Champions League. We've had long enough all summer and yet all we've managed to get in is Sanogo.

Spurs and Liverpool have managed to bring players in. I know others will argue that we've been looking to transfer in a higher class of player, but I don't know. It just smacks of desperation now, the players we're being linked with.

I can see us ending up with Cabaye and Flamini and that's it. I hope to God I'm proven wrong. We desperately need options up front and in defence, and yet it looks like both players mentioned above are our targets. I'd love an Eduardo type player to compliment our attack. I hope I'm just venting here. Come Tuesday and if our squad hasn't at least 2-3 quality players more, I can see this being a very tough season for us Arsenal supporters.

Jesus really, what ever about Spurs who have signed nice players but what Liverpool have signed? really

Basically this. The players we are being linked to, and will hopefully follow up on, will insist on CL football. I couldn't imagine DiMaria moving to a Europa league team.

Jesus really, what ever about Spurs who have signed nice players but what Liverpool have signed? really

Fair enough the class of player Liverpool have brought in won't set any hearts racing, But they have managed to identify targets they thought would add to their squad. We, on the other hand have been sitting around and now it looks like we might start to get active.

I'm waiting till Sept 2nd before I judge the state of our squad but at this moment in time I'm not getting my hopes up. Not even remotely optimistic.

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Fair enough the class of player Liverpool have brought in won't set any hearts racing, But they have managed to identify targets they thought would add to their squad. We, on the other hand have been sitting around and now it looks like we might start to get active.

I'm waiting till Sept 2nd before I judge the state of our squad but at this moment in time I'm not getting my hopes up. Not even remotely optimistic.

Liverpool have identified plenty of targets that failed more than I am aware we have. they missed out on Willian, that spainish CF who signed a new contract, the Midfield lad that went to Germany and one or two more maybe.

I dont doubt we are identifying targets I just dont know how much we want to get it done and how hesitant Arsene is

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

you make it sound that all our signings need to be world class and require CL football

Dunno do i want him near the club to be honest. He could prove a highly toxic influence that could upset the whole dynamic

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Not having secured CL football is a weak excuse.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    you make it sound that all our signings need to be world class and require CL football

I dont know what our signings need to be because as a fan I genuinely dont know what our target is.

If its CL football then it needs to be players in the category of Begovic, Sakho, Di Maria, Suarez etc. meaning the player comes into the first 11 and pushes out a player to squad status.

If its to compete for top 4 then anything from players like Michu, Cabeye, Paulinho etc.

Not having secured CL football is a weak excuse.

It is for the complete lack of movement and considering we don't pay the monies needed on wage etc CL football seems to be one of the most important things we can offer.

I am not saying I am happy with that but it is the truth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Looper007 wrote: »

They remind me of the People's front of Judea.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

The longer it goes without us signing a rooney or a di maria makes me think that we will just end up with flanini and possibly cabaye or some other unknown.

Think about what you've just said there. Then think about why we look so vulnerable on the counter attack at times.

You've answered it yourself - because we don't have a covering defensive midfielder who will sit back and defend the back four. TV5 in front of the defence would not be the same as TV5 in the last line of defence - something similar to when we operated with three central defenders and attacking fullbacks. As I said if Flamini is at the level he was when he left then I would be happy to see him return as a squad player - his tackle on Nani when Nani was head juggling at OT was legendary - Nani was blessed he didn't break him in half ... and it was a clean ball first man second tackle ... I wept when he left ... Cesc and himself would have won us the league ... eventually ... despite that tw*t Gallas :mad:

FearDark wrote: »
    The longer it goes without us signing a rooney or a di maria makes me think that we will just end up with flanini and possibly cabaye or some other unknown.

I think we should close down all our lines of communication - concentrate on beating that pub team from up the road ... then wake up Tuesday morning and just like Christmas morning our presents will be there ... surely a team with Santi can expect to get presents ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I don't think not having secured CL football is being bandied about by posters as an excuse for the inaction that's been going on all summer long. Wenger needs to sort out this mess or get someone to help him with transfers.

All that said, I think Wenger sees it as a logical sequence, and however wrong he may be, he'll probably wait cause he can get a tenner off once CL is secured it something.

There are very rare cases such as the Suarez one. Not that I think he's coming but it would be a fcuk up of epic proportions for him to sign for us and then basically be back in the same situation as last year only at a different club starting a new contract.

Spurs have shown however this summer that CL is one thing but approaching players with intent and communicating ambition to them will actually get the job done.

Albeit that their new signings might not quite be at the level we're looking for but I think it's safe to say if we had been in for someone like Paulhino, we'd still be dragging our feet and fcuking it up at this stage. Instead, he's settling in and finding his feet - what a great idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

They remind me of the People's front of Judea.

more like the Judean Peoples Front :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ugsparky wrote: »
    TV5 in front of the defence would not be the same as TV5 in the last line of defence

Don't you think BS3 and PM4 did well at the back last time out though? Especially as LK6 was suspended. CJ25 was muck though. Surely MA8 and JW10 can help out the back four adequately while LP9 and TW14 maraud forward? Also, do you think you will sign WR10 or LS7 before the window shuts?

I would have just facepalmed your post but I get the feeling you wouldn't have gotten the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Kirby wrote: »
    Don't you think BS3 and PM4 did well at the back last time out though? Especially as LK6 was suspended. CJ25 was muck though. Surely MA8 and JW10 can help out the back four adequately while LP9 and TW14 maraud forward? Also, do you think you will sign WR10 or LS7 before the window shuts?t.

My head hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

Kirby wrote: »
    Don't you think BS3 and PM4 did well at the back last time out though? Especially as LK6 was suspended. CJ25 was muck though. Surely MA8 and JW10 can help out the back four adequately while LP9 and TW14 maraud forward? Also, do you think you will sign WR10 or LS7 before the window shuts?

I would have just facepalmed your post but I get the feeling you wouldn't have gotten the point.

When I started reading your post I was thinking what the fcuk is this eejit on about with this bull****? :D

What follows is all hypothetical.

If we signed Di Maria, and say couldn't get someone like Benzema, Suarez or Rooney, would people still be pissed off not to see a CF arrive at the club?

I mean would people still expect us to blow a lot of money on someone at Giroud's level?

I still think personally that we should go back and offer 60 million to Liverpool for Suarez but if we have to look below that level (admittedly the clubs fault) cause there's no-one else, then is there any point?

I mean Giroud/Poldi/Sanogo for one position isn't great because it's a pretty important position and there's only one real option but surely there's no point signing a Soldado type player for 25 million to essentially lengthen that list for the same position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

When I say quotes like this I really do wonder are we going to sign anyone?

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/wenger-forwards-are-making-their-case

http://www.betinf.com/england_transfer.htm[/QUOTE]

I forgot Willian (although not sure if thats done). Who would you have liked from everything else other that what City and Chelsea got? Spurs have done well but I would really have hoped we would sign from a category one more level up, not knocking there business but its 1 level below a Suarez, Di Maria.

Spending money is fine but if it has to better the first 11 otherwise is pointless. And as I said saying all that I am not convinced we will get players of that in but the point remains

We are constantly being told that Wenger spends his day looking through videos of games from all over the globe in order to spot talent. It's not who i'd pick to strengthen our team but who Wenger picks.
    Either his video is broken or his eyesight is failing because we got nobody. Somebody printed a list of the players we were linked with through the media. Surely there's someone on that list who Wenger thinks is good enough for us.
    It's nice that you think we will bring in better players than Liverpool or Spurs have signed but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Roaster wrote: »

When Jonathon Pearce mentioned to Wenger about Giroud and Podolski's goals so far, a wry smirk appeared instantly on Wengers face as if to say 'See i told you we were ok'.

Both decent squad players to be honest and i think Podolski in particular is top class but Wenger doesnt seem to be planning for the contingency of players getting injured even after all of these years. Even after the 8-2 mauling at United two year ago he still doesnt seem to have learned the importance of squad strength.

See, he's just preparing us for what I mentioned above.

If we're going to spend big on a FW, then it has to make Giroud second choice. Otherwise it might not be worth it.

He better bloody spend the money somewhere else though.

We wont buy another CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What do you want him to say. "The players at my disposal are just not good enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I think we need another guy either at Giroud's level or above, even if we get Di Maria.
    we only have 1 guy who can hold the line, OG. when he's out our play suffers. Pod and Theo can’t play like that.

I think Giroud will be good for 20 league goals this season if he stays fit, but if he gets injured for a lenghty spell we could suffer.
    and a big club like ours should have at least 2 international standard CF's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Still think we need a world class striker, with pace who can create his own chances. Giroud has played well this season but his lack of pace and making a chance out of something worries me. I think Giroud would do wonders against a Stoke or West Ham but when it comes to Chelsea and Utd his lack of pace and trickery is a big negative.

I'm staying positive right now that after the Game this week we will signings coming in over the Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday. If not I'm going to be very angry once again.

Giroud isn't a player that will win you premier leagues.

Thats the bar we should set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

FearDark wrote: »
    Giroud isn't a player that will win you premier leagues.

Thats the bar we should set.

Neither is Welbeck. But he has his place in the United starting 11 these days. No club has a team of superstars.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement