Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

FearDark wrote: »
    Giroud isn't a player that will win you premier leagues.

Thats the bar we should set.

I agree but he's a player worth having as a back up. He can do the job agaisn't the Stoke's and Swansea's of this world. Just think we need somebody who's a few notches above Giroud, someone who can change a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Kirby wrote: »
    Neither is Welbeck. But he has his place in the United starting 11 these days. No club has a team of superstars.

I fully agree with you. For me Giroud is a Wellbeck if you get me. We still need that world class striker though. If we don't buy that world class striker we should look at other options for when Giroud is unavailable because at the moment we are just too thin.

Neither is Welbeck. But he has his place in the United starting 11 these days. No club has a team of superstars.

Well they have Van Persie knocking goals in Giroud is are Welbeck we need our Van Persie. We just want a World class striker I don't know why so many are agaisn't it on here.

Looper007 wrote: »
    Well they have Van Persie knocking goals in Giroud is are Welbeck we need our Van Persie. We just want a World class striker I don't know why so many are agaisn't it on here.

Because its inevitable we won't get one, Wenger is setting us up for that news.

We will not get a CF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow, we're agreeing all over the place these days.

If you're playing a lone striker, then to consistently challenge for something as long and arduous as the league, you need a really good striker there. Drogba, RVP, whoever.

Giroud's current problem for me is he doesn't bully or outpace defenders so he doesn't really make his own chances. He's limited to whatever Walcott and Cazorla provide him with. In the really important games, this might be one decent chance that HAS to be taken. I just don't think he's at that level yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

So we're not getting a CF and we're not getting a CB. And people still think we'll sign more than 2 players? I've said for a bit now that I'll be amazed if we get more than 2 players and I don't see any reason to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

greendom wrote: »
    What do you want him to say. "The players at my disposal are just not good enough"

Eh no, but he could say "I think we need one more CF to battle on all fronts and to ensure we have squad depth..."

keano_afc wrote: »
    So we're not getting a CF and we're not getting a CB. And people still think we'll sign more than 2 players? I've said for a bit now that I'll be amazed if we get more than 2 players and I don't see any reason to change that.

Flamini and Cabaye. No CF.

That'll be our lot. People can quote me on this after 2nd Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think we'll get Flamini + either Cabaye or Di Maria

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Pretty poor analogy, Giroud doesn't have a world class striker alongside them banging them in and relieving some of the pressure so he can do his job and improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

United in for Di Maria now SSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

United in for Di Maria now SSN.

That's that done so. :(

AdamD wrote: »
    I think we'll get Flamini + either Cabaye or Di Maria

Still be disappointing for me. Not one of them will send a shiver up our rivals spines. Good players but not world beaters. Sadly they are 4th place signings.

I'm not positive about signing anyone of worth before the window shuts.
    Absolutely nothing is happening and Wenger is to blame.
    Disgusted with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Still be disappointing for me. Not one of them will send a shiver up our rivals spines. Good players but not world beaters. Sadly they are 4th place signings.

Di Maria? He is far better than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Flamini, perhaps.

Cabaye was a star player in the Newcastle team that finished 5th two seasons ago. He is a very talented player. I wouldn't call him just a 4th place player but I'd be very unhappy if he is all we get from all the hype at the start of the Summer.

Di Maria is world class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Todor Nedelev 20 year old Bulgarian winger. We are apparently on the verge of signing him after a 3 million euro offer from Roma was turned down. Spurs were also interested apparently.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Flamini, perhaps.

Cabaye was a star player in the Newcastle team that finished 5th two seasons ago. He is a very talented player. I wouldn't call him just a 4th place player but I'd be very unhappy if he is all we get from all the hype at the start of the Summer.

Di Maria is world class.

Cabaye is not a defensive midfielder but I imagine he'd be able to perform the Arteta deep midfielder role very effectively. I imagine our set piece delivery would improve significantly as well.

Cabaye is not a defensive midfielder but I imagine he'd be able to perform the Arteta deep midfielder role very effectively. I imagine our set piece delivery would improve significantly as well.

And we wouldn't have Santi or Walcott on direct free-kicks anymore, I would hope. Don't remember any of them scoring one for us. Could be wrong though.

Cabaye, like Maloney and Snodgrass, is guaranteed to score 1-3 free-kicks a season.

Though, maybe I'm talking out of my ***.

That's that done so. :(

Yes i'd fear that.
    Why go for a team satisfied with 4th place when you can go to the Champions who show ambition. Isn't that why our best players left too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Todor Nedelev 20 year old Bulgarian winger. We are apparently on the verge of signing him after a 3 million euro offer from Roma was turned down. Spurs were also interested apparently.

Goes without saying really.

dvemail wrote: »
    Goes without saying really.

Yeah, Spurs were in contact with me last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Yeah, Spurs were in contact with me last week.

hope you turned them down mate

Chelsea kicking RVP.......

i am liking this.

Continue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

looking at RM tonight, AW should break the bank for Di Maria & Benzema

What a dire game. Tearing my hair out, we really only need 3 or 4 really good platers to challenge, if this is the best the top teams can offer. We're being seriously sold short.

keano_afc wrote: »
    What a dire game. Tearing my hair out, we really only need 3 or 4 really good platers to challenge, if this is the best the top teams can offer. We're being seriously sold short.

Been saying that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

Hyzepher wrote: »
    looking at RM tonight, AW should break the bank for Di Maria & Benzema

di maria and benzema both starting? :confused:

darego wrote: »
    di maria and benzema both starting? :confused:

Yes. Probably why Benzema is happy with staying. Bale arriving will reduce Di Maria's playing time. Don't know by how much though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Wenger is crazy if he thinks he can afford to ignore our GK, CB and FW needs. Wouldn't surprise me though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I still maintain we don't need a goalkeeper.

A CB preferably a top class one but would settle for a squad filler if signings in other areas were outstanding.

A DM one to at least roatate and battle with Arteta not a squad filler.

A CF without a doubt needed badly do rate Giroud but as others have said we need a pacey CF who can create something out of nothing and Giroud aint that.

Wingers aswell if im being greedy Di Maria would do nicely.

Confidence on getting all them extremely low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Well at least I've never found an Arsenal game as utterly boring as that was

AdamD wrote: »
    Well at least I've never found an Arsenal game as utterly boring as that was

Christ that was shocking alright, Mata and Kagawa not even featuring shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Christ that was shocking alright, Mata and Kagawa not even featuring shocking.

Mata didn't play? Maybe they don't want to risk his move to us with an injury? :D

The problem with Cabaye is that he won't make our first team.

But seriously everyone, he we are debating the people that we're actually linked with.

They'll never happen.

Wenger will come up with some left of field madness to surprise us. Not saying it'll be a good surprise or not.

Nice. And there was I earlier n the summer thinking we'd have to settle for Suarez rather than hold out for 'the pride of Botev Plovdiv'.

Todor Nedelev : anagram : Revolt Needed

(stolen from Twitter)

gosplan wrote: »
    Nice. And there was I earlier n the summer thinking we'd have to settle for Suarez rather than hold out for 'the pride of Botev Plovdiv'.

Saw a tweet saying he was the Bulgarian Bale :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Neville talking Arsenal now for anyone who switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Don't you think BS3 and PM4 did well at the back last time out though? Especially as LK6 was suspended. CJ25 was muck though. Surely MA8 and JW10 can help out the back four adequately while LP9 and TW14 maraud forward? Also, do you think you will sign WR10 or LS7 before the window shuts?

I would have just facepalmed your post but I get the feeling you wouldn't have gotten the point.
    Didn't think CJ25 was muck - neither now so that's a BF0 ... think we'll see a few surprises though in N5 ... a lot of people are thinking that Arsene is being smug and deluding us ... is it possible he has two or three lined up instead, one of them being a massive surprise completely off everyone's radar? ...

Didn't understand the thing about the facepalm ... and didn't even see it as my eyes are fecked ... can barely see the letters on the keyboard ... you're right ... I'd have no idea what you're talking about ... Verms or TV5 as he is commonly referred to in the Highbury Barn ... in Islington ... N5 ...

So more of the same

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-karim-benzema-been-2225958

Also talks have been taking place with Flamini and his agent who happens to be Darren Dein.

So more of the same

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-transfers-karim-benzema-been-2225958

Also talks have been taking place with Flamini and his agent who happens to be Darren Dein.

Paper and ink again Marty.

I'm still holding out for Cesc...

...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

From The Times tomorrow:

Arsenal are expected to lodge a fresh £13.5 million offer for Yohan Cabaye in the next 24 hours after having an initial offer rejected last week.
    The midfielder asked Newcastle United to excuse him from the opening two league games of the season and he believes that he will have more chance to start regularly at Arsenal than at Paris Saint-Germain, who are also interested in him.

Arsenal will move for one of Gareth Barry, the Manchester City midfielder, Josuha Guilavogui, of Saint-Étienne, or Morgan Schneiderlin, of Southampton, if their attempt to land Cabaye fails. Barry would be the cheapest and is considered surplus to requirements at the Etihad Stadium. Schneiderlin, impressive in his first season in the Barclays Premier League, signed a new contract at St Mary’s in February, but would be tempted by the prospect of a move to North London. Guilavogui, 19, has broken into the France squad, but Saint-Étienne would countenance a sale for about £10 million.

Arsenal have withdrawn their interest in Vicente Guaita, after a £3.2 million offer was rejected by Valencia for the goalkeeper last week. Iker Casillas, linked to Arsenal, was left out of the Real Madrid starting side against Granada last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

From The Times tomorrow:

Arsenal are expected to lodge a fresh £13.5 million offer for Yohan Cabaye in the next 24 hours after having an initial offer rejected last week.
    The midfielder asked Newcastle United to excuse him from the opening two league games of the season and he believes that he will have more chance to start regularly at Arsenal than at Paris Saint-Germain, who are also interested in him.

Arsenal will move for one of Gareth Barry, the Manchester City midfielder, Josuha Guilavogui, of Saint-Étienne, or Morgan Schneiderlin, of Southampton, if their attempt to land Cabaye fails. Barry would be the cheapest and is considered surplus to requirements at the Etihad Stadium. Schneiderlin, impressive in his first season in the Barclays Premier League, signed a new contract at St Mary’s in February, but would be tempted by the prospect of a move to North London. Guilavogui, 19, has broken into the France squad, but Saint-Étienne would countenance a sale for about £10 million.

Arsenal have withdrawn their interest in Vicente Guaita, after a £3.2 million offer was rejected by Valencia for the goalkeeper last week. Iker Casillas, linked to Arsenal, was left out of the Real Madrid starting side against Granada last night.

Would be disgusted if we go for Gareth Barry instead of pushing the boat a bit further for Cabaye. Cabaye would definitely be a good addition and I can see him fitting nicely into our squad and style of play. Gareth Barry though? Also, Valencia said it's going to take (iirc) £20mil + to get Guaita so I think we can forget about that if we only offer £3.2mil initially.

Come the end of this window, the most I expect we'll do is Flamini and Di Maria possibly. It's an awful pity we had to wait so long for Champions League to be confirmed as I suspect we've missed several good opportunities as a result. That being said, the lack of Champions League football seems to be affecting us a lot more than say, Liverpool when it comes to attracting players. I've always wondered why that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Might be of interest....
    Greek football team spot Robert Pires in the stands on his holiday … bring him on for second half and he scores in 3-2 win

Also, to clarify it was a friendly. A nice touch by Pires to mess around and give them something to remember..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So were gonna sign half the Real Madrid team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Why should we sing another CM? We have loads of them. We need SK or Winger

Pires better be careful or he'll get a call from Wenger. The weight on that through ball was just gorgeous.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement