Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

So were gonna sign half the Real Madrid team

I've read in a lot of places that moves for Madrid players all depend on getting bale in. Surely spurs would drag the **** out of that transfer to leave us no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

jank wrote: »
    Why should we sing another CM? We have loads of them. We need SK or Winger

We've loads of attacking midfielders, we lack players with good enough positioning to protect the back four. Only Arteta is good at this (although Ramsey has also shown a lot of improvement in this area lately). Wilshere, Cazorla, Rosicky and even Diaby (when fit) all roam around a bit too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

A lot of those moves would be for players who would be backup to Arteta and surely that is the role that Flamini would take up if he were to be re-signed so im not sure how much stock to put in those suggestions although they could be true. Seems like everyone is holding out in the hope that Wenger surprises them with a move for someone not linked in the press like Jackson Martinez while also getting in one or 2 of the more believable bigger names linked to them atm like Di Maria or Sakho while also getting in a typical unknown but could surprise you wenger style signing like perhaps Todor Nedelev

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

I reckon at best were gonna get Flamini, Di Maria and possibly Cabaye but that would possibly take a cave in from Newcastle on price.

The other Mardid player links are the papers putting two and two together.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yep. If we were going to get a big name striker we would have done so by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

I reckon at best were gonna get Flamini, Di Maria and possibly Cabaye but that would possibly take a cave in from Newcastle on price.

The other Mardid player links are the papers putting two and two together.

Spurs seem to be digging in their heels over the Bale deal, and I don't think Di Maria/Ozil will move anywhere until it's sorted.

If our only signing before the NLD is Flamini and we lose, this thread will completely lose its sh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Spurs seem to be digging in their heels over the Bale deal, and I don't think Di Maria/Ozil will move anywhere until it's sorted.

If our only signing before the NLD is Flamini and we lose, this thread will completely lose its sh*t.

Wont just be this thread, it will be the biggest fan revolt since the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not to strengthen in this window with so many areas needing cover would be a sackable offence in the eyes of many Arsenal fans. Wenger would be one bad performance away from serious trouble.
    Surely he can see that and will sign players.
    As has been said umpteen times we could mount a serious challenge for the league with 3/4 good players so why be content to battle for 4th every season especially when we have the funds?

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Yep. If we were going to get a big name striker we would have done so by now.

Like when Utd signed Berbatov ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cant help but feel so underwhelmed by Flamini. Such a stink of desperation of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

we will go for torres im sure of it

keano_afc wrote: »
    Cant help but feel so underwhelmed by Flamini. Such a stink of desperation of it.

It's also desperate that we're in the hunt for Real rejects (regardless of their quality, that is what they are) in moves that depend on our biggest rivals selling their best player to them. It's completely reactive and Levy holds all the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

It's also desperate that we're in the hunt for Real rejects (regardless of their quality, that is what they are) in moves that depend on our biggest rivals selling their best player to them. It's completely reactive and Levy holds all the cards.

Aren't any players we get rejects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

There is no shame at all in going for Real Madrid's "rejects", given the stupid rate that they freeze out/let go MASSIVE talents. It's Di Maria and Benzema we were talking about ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Those "rejects" we bought from Inter Milan & Juventus once upon a time did ok i seem to remember !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

this reject argument is a very poor one - all we should be asking ourselves is - will they improve the squad and will they get us challenging for honours ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In fairness if Barca sold us Messi you could paint him as a Barca reject.

What would you consider to be a good signing/ positive move for the club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'll take those rejects any day of the week. Flamini and Cabaye are bench warmers and would only add depth to the squad, something we badly need, but those Real rejects would be first team starters and would give us some extra quality on the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Not sure about the Levy part - wouldn't have thought he'd dice with £80+ million just to thwart Arsenal's transfer target's ... I can see some logic but surely he would be thinking more of investing in his own team ...

Rejects is wrong ... if not Bergkamp, Overmars, Henry, Pires etc were all rejects ... not good enough for the teams they played for before they joined Arsenal ? I think it's more a case of a new manager having a different philosophy and vision for his team and certain players not fitting this plan. Sometimes players may choose to experience playing in a different league - that wouldn't make them rejects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Both Bergkamp and Henry could have been said to be 'rejects' when we bought them. Some people are really losing the run of themselves these days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Raf32 wrote: »
    we will go for torres im sure of it

Ye can have Ba for half the price and wages plus I'm sure any one of the Chelsea camp would happily drive him over to ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ye can have Ba for half the price and wages plus I'm sure any one of the Chelsea camp would happily drive him over to ye.

Giroud is better, and much better-looking, so no thanks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Reject is a rediculous notion.

If a player is better than who we have, then sign him. Who gives a sh1t where they came from.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    In fairness if Barca sold us Messi you could paint him as a Barca reject.

What would you consider to be a good signing/ positive move for the club?

Don't misunderstand me; I'd be happy if we bought Ozil and/or Di Maria. My point though is that we've dithered so long that the landing of our big targets is entirely out of our hands and relies on a complicated world record-breaking transfer and its brinksmanship resolving itself. The Real guys we want aren't going anywhere until the Bale deal happens, and that could take until after the NLD. Can we afford to wait around? I would offer very reasonable bids for the Real guys we want with implicit deadlines for Real's response.

Kondogbia off to Monaco, they paid his release clause.

http://www.rmcsport.fr/info/513842/kondogbia-route-monaco/

• Advertisement

Giroud is better, and much better-looking, so no thanks :cool:

Agreed on both, no homo. :pac:

Kondogbia off to Monaco, they paid his release clause.

http://www.rmcsport.fr/info/513842/kondogbia-route-monaco/

Wasnt overly keen on the lad anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Seen as everyone talks of sackable offence if he don't strengthen and we loose the NLD

What if we don't strengthen but stuff them lot and then went out and got 2 marquee signings on Monday

Would wenger be a genius??

Seen as everyone talks of sackable offence if he don't strengthen and we loose the NLD

What if we don't strengthen but stuff them lot and then went out and got 2 marquee signings on Monday

It's pointless talking about sackings; it'll very happen. But if he doesn't sign anyone and we lose the NLD then I'm certain he won't get a new contract and this will be his final year.

The other scenario sounds great but it wouldn't make him a genius because our upcoming trolley dash stems from a lack of planning or failure to see our problem areas. Not that I would care come Tuesday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

It's pointless talking about sackings; it'll very happen. But if he doesn't sign anyone and we lose the NLD then I'm certain he won't get a new contract and this will be his final year.

The other scenario sounds great but it wouldn't make him a genius because our upcoming trolley dash stems from a lack of planning or failure to see our problem areas. Not that I would care come Tuesday morning!

I agree he wouldn't be a genius or if it went the other way I don't think he should be sacked

It's either gonna be a gamble that paid off or one that backfired spectacularly

• Advertisement

Bale should be gone by the time the NLD rolls around anyway so thats always a positive, given that the transfer window ends on Monday, even if Real leave it until deadline day to sign him they wont want Bale playing in a game on Sunday.

Has to be movement directly after this game tonight and a signing or two by thursday, no excuses after tonight

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Agreed on both, no homo. :pac:

It's not homo, he's really really really ridiculously good looking.

The Fenerbahce game is a given as it was over after the first leg.
    Now if them lot stuffed us and we had run out of time to strengthen or failed strengthen then that would be a different story. The **** would hit the fan i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

This might sound ludicrously optimistic to some here but I'd be confident of 3 points in the derby based on the games I've seen both teams play so far this season, regardless of any signings. There's an organised assuredness to the team that I couldn't imagine Wenger will tamper with anyway.

Even if we go and buy Benzema, Ozil AND Di Maria I doubt any of them would start without getting integrated into the squad and training regime first.

Looking back on the doom & gloom in the aftermath of the Villa game, most of us overlooked the freak injury to Gibbs forcing Sagna to be played out of position, the harsh decisions against Kos, Cazorla and Monreal being unfit, the fact 9 of our players were returning from international duty, all these things contributed hugely to eroding that stability that has been displayed in the vast majority of games since last Christmas.

Spurs are bedding in half a new team and I would expect a lot of those new players to be exploitable, not being able to really grasp the intensity of the game beforehand.

I've been wrong lots before, but I think the Gunners win Sunday... -1 goal.

There I said it.

Feels good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Looking at that rubbish last night between Utd and Chelsea shows were not actually that far off them, which makes it all the more important that we bring in a few quality players to close the gap. I get the feeling Wenger has learned from past mistakes in the market like Santos, Squillachi etc and will only sign real quality which is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Raf32 wrote: »
    Has to be movement directly after this game tonight and a signing or two by thursday, no excuses after tonight

There always seems to be a distraction. Its a pretty feeble excuse to use the CL to be honest. Unless the famed "24 hour transfer team" were in Istanbul on a jolly.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think we should beat Spurs regardless of signings. They look pretty toothless so far without Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think we should beat Spurs regardless of signings. They look pretty toothless so far without Bale.

true, they're yet to gel with the new players. I thnk we'll give them a spanking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Don't misunderstand me; I'd be happy if we bought Ozil and/or Di Maria. My point though is that we've dithered so long that the landing of our big targets is entirely out of our hands and relies on a complicated world record-breaking transfer and its brinksmanship resolving itself. The Real guys we want aren't going anywhere until the Bale deal happens, and that could take until after the NLD. Can we afford to wait around? I would offer very reasonable bids for the Real guys we want with implicit deadlines for Real's response.

Are you for real with that part in bold? They will just say no, we are not selling until we have got Bale and this is what we are selling for.

I think you are just dreaming up a scenario that has no chance of working in the hope that you can criticise Wenger and Arsenal after the fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Just because a team sells a player doesn't make him a reject. We bought Giroud and Podolski last summer, two strikers, and sold Van Perise, one striker. By your definition, Van Persie is an Arsenal reject.

Now while I would love to class him in that fashion, in reality we would have loved to hold onto him.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Godge wrote: »
    Just because a team sells a player doesn't make him a reject. We bought Giroud and Podolski last summer, two strikers, and sold Van Perise, one striker. By your definition, Van Persie is an Arsenal reject.

Now while I would love to class him in that fashion, in reality we would have loved to hold onto him.

I get what you're saying, but Van Persie didn't downgrade in quality with his move. He upgraded. So under no circumstance can he be deemed at a reject whatsoever.

Di Maria and Benzema meanwhile...

5-2 to Arsenal. Again :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

well by that definition any player who leaves one of the top 3 world clubs, bayern barca or madrid is a reject.

Eto
    Zlatan
    Robinho
    Figo
    Gomez
    Raul
    etc etc

Rejects.

I don't care if someone considered Di Maria a reject, he'd walk onto any premier league team i think. Same with Ozil. I'd love him at arsenal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I get what you're saying, but Van Persie didn't downgrade in quality with his move. He upgraded. So under no circumstance can he be deemed at a reject whatsoever.

Jesus, being linked to Arsenal is deemed enough to brand you a reject. Their career must be deemed over if they have designs on LFC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Looking at that rubbish last night between Utd and Chelsea shows were not actually that far off them, which makes it all the more important that we bring in a few quality players to close the gap. I get the feeling Wenger has learned from past mistakes in the market like Santos, Squillachi etc and will only sign real quality which is a good thing.

We will beat Spurs but I bet United would have turned us over last night, as they always do at Old Trafford. Mourinho set out for a point and got it.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    This might sound ludicrously optimistic to some here but I'd be confident of 3 points in the derby based on the games I've seen both teams play so far this season, regardless of any signings. There's an organised assuredness to the team that I couldn't imagine Wenger will tamper with anyway.

Even if we go and buy Benzema, Ozil AND Di Maria I doubt any of them would start without getting integrated into the squad and training regime first.

Looking back on the doom & gloom in the aftermath of the Villa game, most of us overlooked the freak injury to Gibbs forcing Sagna to be played out of position, the harsh decisions against Kos, Cazorla and Monreal being unfit, the fact 9 of our players were returning from international duty, all these things contributed hugely to eroding that stability that has been displayed in the vast majority of games since last Christmas.

Spurs are bedding in half a new team and I would expect a lot of those new players to be exploitable, not being able to really grasp the intensity of the game beforehand.

I've been wrong lots before, but I think the Gunners win Sunday... -1 goal.

There I said it.

Feels good!

I think we will win too but i'd have a different opinion if our already depleted panel was playing Man Utd or Chelsea away and had even more injuries.
    ~Anyway we just have to strengthen if we are to make a challenge.

Seeing As Bale didnt bother his bo**lcks to turn up for Spurs training I'd say yere chances of a NLD win just went through the roof.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I get what you're saying, but the downgrade isn't what makes a player a reject. RVP wanted to leave and we didn't really want to sell him, that's why he wasn't a reject because we didn't reject him, he rejected us. If it's true that Madrid want to sell Benzema and co. but they don't want to leave then they are pretty much rejects. Still top quality players though, which is the important thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Thoughts on the team for tonight? I don't think we should change it too much as a solid first half is vital, if they were to get an early goal it could get nervy. I'd like to see:

Szczesny
    Jenkinson
    Sagna
    Koscielny----Monreal
    Ramsey----Wilshere
    Walcott
    Rosicky
    Podolski
    Giroud

That should be capable of progressing. Mertesacker has played all of every game so far plus all of pre-season so a game off before the derby would be handy. Monreal instead of Gibbs to get him some match practice. Give Cazorla a break and I'm worried we're going to over use him after a very limited pre-season.

If we can get a couple of goals that give the likes of Sanogo, Gnarby etc. the last 25-25 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement