Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

We play on Tuesday, Spurs play on Thursday, and we're at home. Bound to be the favorites for this one anyway.

Team I'd like to see tonight:
    Woj
    Jenkinson Mertesacker Koscienlny Monreal
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Gnabry
    Podolski/Sanogo

Podolski at LW if Sanogo starts at CF. Of course knowing Wenger he'll probably start our best 11. Mad fecker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I get what you're saying, but Van Persie didn't downgrade in quality with his move. He upgraded. So under no circumstance can he be deemed at a reject whatsoever.

Di Maria and Benzema meanwhile...

That definition would make Suarez an Ajax reject, going from a League winning team to a struggling one, Sturridge a Chelsea reject, Toure a Man City/Arsenal reject, Coutinho an Inter reject etc.

A team like Liverpool hovering around 6-8th would be full of rejects. Don't you agree?

Frisbee wrote: »
    Thoughts on the team for tonight? I don't think we should change it too much as a solid first half is vital, if they were to get an early goal it could get nervy. I'd like to see:

Szczesny
    Jenkinson
    Sagna
    Koscielny----Monreal
    Ramsey----Wilshere
    Walcott
    Rosicky
    Podolski
    Giroud

That should be capable of progressing. Mertesacker has played all of every game so far plus all of pre-season so a game off before the derby would be handy. Monreal instead of Gibbs to get him some match practice. Give Cazorla a break and I'm worried we're going to over use him after a very limited pre-season.

If we can get a couple of goals that give the likes of Sanogo, Gnarby etc. the last 25-25 minutes.

I like that team, can bring on Cazorla if there is any danger, can take Giroud and Ramsey off after 55 if it is safe, plus give a youngster 10-15 min at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,456 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Getting fed up of this "reject" debate.
    I don't believe that was the poster's intended remark either.
    Lets move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Godge wrote: »
    A team like Liverpool hovering around 6-8th would be full of rejects. Don't you agree?

I think we can all agree on that one :D

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

bad2dabone wrote: »
    well by that definition any player who leaves one of the top 3 world clubs, bayern barca or madrid is a reject.

Eto
    Zlatan
    Robinho
    Figo
    Gomez
    Raul
    etc etc

Rejects.

I don't care if someone considered Di Maria a reject, he'd walk onto any premier league team i think. Same with Ozil. I'd love him at arsenal.

I didn't call them rejects though :confused:

I clearly said they're (Di Maria, Higuain and Özil) making a step down. RVP made the step up to United.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Raf32 wrote: »
    we will go for torres im sure of it
    Ew. Would rather go with Podolski and Sanogo.

Godge wrote: »
    That definition would make Suarez an Ajax reject, going from a League winning team to a struggling one, Sturridge a Chelsea reject, Toure a Man City/Arsenal reject, Coutinho an Inter reject etc.

Herp derp.

Suarez wanted out of Holland. He had achieved all he could possibly achieve there. Ask the majority of their fans if they consider him a reject. His behaviour limited his options of a move to a club in a better position than Liverpool though, I've made no bones of admitting that part playing a big role in Liverpool signing him.

Coutinho could be considered a reject by management, sure. But Inter's management are one of the most clueless around. LI'll reference the fans and they mostly wanted him to feature more in the team. Rafa rated him very highly too, that's good enough for me.

Sturridge depending on one's outlook can be considered a Chelsea reject. For me, he stood little chance of making it at Chelsea because at the time, young players barely got much regular game time. Even under Villas Boas where he played somewhat regularly, he originally wanted to bring in Hulk for that RWF spot. I was always of the opinion he was better off staying at City.

Anyway, this is rather off topic talking about Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Yes. If Ozil, Benzema or Di Maria left Real Madrid, it would be a step down in terms of clubs.

I can see no reason for why you came into this forum other than to provoke Arsenal supporters.

That isn't cool.

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Yes. If Ozil, Benzema or Di Maria left Real Madrid, it would be a step down in terms of clubs.

I can see no reason for why you came into this forum other than to provoke Arsenal supporters.

That isn't cool.

After the amount of times I've engaged in genuine conversations with you lot over Arsenal Football Club in... get this ...... the Arsenal thread, I wouldn't think at this stage I'd be more or less accused of being a troll in attempting to rile up you lot. But alas you post what you do, good on you.

Look at what I quoted originally. It made no sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Jesus this place has turned hostile..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

After the amount of times I've engaged in genuine conversations with you lot over Arsenal Football Club in... get this ...... the Arsenal thread, I wouldn't think at this stage I'd be more or less accused of being a troll in attempting to rile up you lot. But alas you post what you do, good on you.

We know you're not a troll. I enjoy your contributions. It's late in the window and we're a sensitive bunch at the moment :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Jesus this place has turned hostile..

Its hard enough listening to fellow gooners doom and gloom without everyone else chipping in too.....:D

That's all very fine. But there are a great bunch of lads in this thread and of course we have our quota of passionate fans, deluded fans, pessimistic fans, fans with bad haircuts etc etc, but at the end of the day we're all here to discuss Arsenal and we don't appreciate other fans coming in and not having one good thing to say.

I am positive that if I entered the Liverpool thread, I could see some very deluded posts; but I don't think I will get anywhere by challenging it.

I'm not saying that you're not welcome here. You have as much a right as anybody else on the site to be here; but you've got to understand that some of your criticism is going to be taken in the worst way possible.

Of course, Suarez made a step up by moving to Liverpool. But when a Liverpool fan comes in here, expect your team to be questioned. Just like if I went into the Liverpool forum with a huge Arsenal badge under my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Turkish reports saying Real have agreed a fee for Di Maria from Galatasary. Wtf?

http://bit.ly/17jrYsL

Turkish reports saying Real have agreed a fee for Di Maria from Galatasary. Wtf?

Let's just hope he doesn't want to go to Galatasaray himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They've agreed one from us too so I suppose the player gets to choose

dorgasm wrote: »
    Let's just hope he doesn't want to go to Galatasaray himself.

I can't imagine he would but I thought the same about Gustavo and Wolfsburg. If we have a bid in let's hope we haven't underbid compared to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Was it the Turkish Daily Mail by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Would like to see Walcott get a break,

I'l guess we line up like this:

...............Szcz
    Jenks...Mert...Kos...Monreal
    Ramsy..Cazorla..Wishere
    Rosicky..Giroud..Pod

Maybe rest santi and bring on fringpong :D

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Was it the Turkish Daily Mail by any chance?

Yeah that article made no sense to me at all :D

Has a player ever gone to Turkey and come out better?

Has a player ever gone to Turkey and come out better?

Eboue?

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Eboue?

Maybe? Though he's yet to come out.

But I'm sure you know what I mean. It's hardly the greatest career choice at all. Players move their from big European clubs and they tend to wither out. I'm sure there are a few exceptions but as I said, I'm sure you guys know what I'm trying to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

I'm not liking the fact that our move for any Madrid player depends how soon Madrid get Bale. Ozil / Di maria depends on Bale and Benzema depends on Suarez. At least we tried eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

How many Premier League Players has Arsene Wenger bought in the last 7 years ? Gallas and Silvestre are the only ones I can think of.

How many Premier League Players has Arsene Wenger bought in the last 7 years ? Gallas and Silvestre are the only ones I can think of.

Diarra off chelsea, Arteta.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Diarra & Arteta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Were Southampton in the PL when we signed Walcott?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Were Southampton in the PL when we signed Walcott?

Don't think so

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Pudders

Arteta and Diarra.

Buying Premier League players is so mainstream.

tumblr_m5ih15R5u71qe2l8vo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Wouldnt be suprised to see Gnabry get a start tonight or at least get some minutes. Id give Mert and Walcott rests.
    Schzeney
    Jenkinson Sagna Koscielny Monreal
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Gnabry Podolski
    Giroud

shano_88 wrote: »
    Wouldnt be suprised to see Gnabry get a start tonight or at least get some minutes. Id give Mert and Walcott rests.
    Schzeney
    Jenkinson Sagna Koscielny Monreal
    Ramsey Wilshere
    Rosicky
    Gnabry Podolski
    Giroud

Sagna needs a rest if only to prevent him being injured for Sunday. We have little cover for the defence.

Sagna needs a rest if only to prevent him being injured for Sunday. We have little cover for the defence.

It's a tough call either way because Per could probably do with a rest too.

• Advertisement

Buzzing for tonight's game.

No harm having a match like this when we're in such form.

With Spurs playing on Thursday, a win tonight could do us very very nicely.
    dorgasm wrote: »
    It's a tough call either way because Per could probably do with a rest too.

On paper, it may seem that Per needs a rest, but when I sit down and think about it; he is obviously very fit giving how little or no muscular injuries he picks up and then there's the case that his game is built on his positioning and not running around the place.

I think we saw a great strength to Per's game when he played those 2 Emirates Cup games in a row.

I could be very wrong though. Resting Sagna may be the best way to go though. Just in case a centre back or Jenkinson pick up an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

True. Pity we dont have a squad for these situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Per is Very fit, but yeah no harm to rest him.
    I'd give Jenks a run at CB, and put Bellerin in at RB. I'd love to see Bellerin break into first team this year.

Arsene won't take the chance though in this game, but i'd do it for the 2nd half maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think we'll thump Fenerbache tonight , And just found out TV3 are doing it too delighted an early goal for us tonight will set us up nicely i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Jaysus lads its only a few games into the season and were already calling for players to be rested :D

• Advertisement

I think we'll thump Fenerbache tonight , And just found out TV3 are doing it too delighted an early goal for us tonight will set us up nicely i think

The tele will be on mute if Lawrenson is commentating.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Jaysus lads its only a few games into the season and were already calling for players to be rested :D

Only because we are short of defenders and replacement defenders and there are some BIG games coming up quickly. Now if we had a proper panel?

Only because we are short of defenders and replacement defenders and there are some BIG games coming up quickly. Now if we had a proper panel?

That international fixture the week before the season started didnt help either, but the only player I would be worried about is Cazorla who could do with tonight off. Id love to see Frimpong get a start tonight see what hes made of these days.

I'd give Jenks a run at CB, and put Bellerin in at RB. I'd love to see Bellerin break into first team this year.

Ah, Jesus.

I like a lot of the things you say on here; but that is beyond ambitious :D

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The tele will be on mute if Lawrenson is commentating.

Also on ITV ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Wondering about Eisfeld - is he available ? Best form of defence is attack so 60 mins with a strong team and then give the younger guys a good run out - 45 mins if we're a couple up at half time. Have a feeling that it will be a dullish draw ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ah, Jesus.

:D:D

I think he played CB as a youth, and he's got the physical attributes.....

but yeah, maybe I'm being mental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

:D:D

I think he played CB as a youth, and he's got the physical attributes.....

but yeah, maybe I'm being mental.

In one of his interviews from pre season he said CB was his preferred position. Might see him there when hes older.

Just read Carl Jenkinson's Wikipedia page.

Under personal life, it says he is trilingual. Even by the accent of him, it's obvious that he hasn't a word of Finnish or Swedish. Added to the fact that he said he doesn't speak Finnish :p

Nothing surprising from Wikipedia's part but I thought it was barely worth a mention :D

Ah, Jesus.

Well Carl himself seems to think he could play there:

From Arseblog:

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/07/interview-carl-jenkinson-talks-life-at-arsenal/

"Gunnerstown – When you signed there was a big deal made about the fact you could play anywhere across the back four. Is it now a case something you’ve put that to one side in your mind or are you definitively a right-back?

For me personally, not at all [has he given up on being a centre-back]. Obviously the boss picks the team and he has the main say. I’d say right-back is my position…it’s where I enjoy playing the most, but I played a lot of my youth career at centre-half up until I was 18. A lot of people have said often to me that they prefer me as a centre-half so that’s an option of course. I think it’s always been a strength of mine that I can play in a few different positions. Right-back is now my main position, but I can definitely play centre-half as well. I can even play at left-back as well."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement