Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Ramsey went off with a few minutes to go. Any news on his issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

cathalio11 wrote: »
    Ramsey went off with a few minutes to go. Any news on his issue?

Precaution re a slight muscle strain, to be assessed tomorrow. He didn't mention anything about it on Twitter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Wow,

Tranmere have a player called Max Power - epic.

We should sign him. And Danny Invincible too. Can't understand how a professional player with that name isn't at Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,450 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Just looking at the squad from tonight's game and we have 13 fit first team members for Sunday -

Arsenal
    01 Szczesny
    03 Sagna
    04 Mertesacker Booked
    17 Monreal
    25 Jenkinson
    10 Wilshere
    14 Walcott (Miyaichi - 74' )
    16 Ramsey Booked
    19 Cazorla
    09 Podolski (Gibbs - 49' )
    12 Giroud (Sanogo - 60' )
    Substitutes
    21 Fabianski
    06 Koscielny
    28 Gibbs
    07 Rosicky
    26 Frimpong
    22 Sanogo
    31 Miyaichi

This panel if far too small and I believe Wenger is too intelligent not to add to it. I reckon we will get 3 players in asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hope ye're all right lads

Is Kos back for Sunday? I'm in England on Sunday. But at a wedding. In essex. Better be over by the time we kick off! It'll be the first nld i'll have missed in donkeys years!

Missed the match tonight, from the looks of it, fener were paid off by Spuds to kick sh*t out of us, but we played pretty well and Rambo was motm again.

That sound about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Yeah he was rested tonight should definitly back from what I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No Liverpool?
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    The fans don't like to mention it, but in days of yore Liverpool actually won the champions league.
    As I say though, they like to keep it quiet.

/blows cobwebs off the door handle to your trophy room.

You might want to get some WD40 for that creaking hinge....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Buzzzzzzzz... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

mike65 wrote: »
    You might want to get some WD40 for that creaking hinge....

Every home should have a can of WD40,

Super invention

WD40 and Duct tape.

If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40

If it does move and it shouldn't, use Duct tape.

So, WD40 for Arsenals trophy cabinet

And Duct tape for Brendan Rodgers mouth?

:D

^^^^Bravo

keano_afc wrote: »
    Aaron Ramsey might just be the best Welsh player north London has ever seen.

True....you also also had another guy old whats his name.......hmmmmmm let me think.............

...................GOT IT!
    BIG JOHN HARTSON! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Raf32 wrote: »
    Wenger gave a non-reply when asked about Juan Mata's dad apparently being in the directors' box at Arsenal tonight

he said this:
    Wenger, who came close to signing Mata two years ago before he went to Chelsea, said: "Well, yes. I like him.

"I have heard like you, because I watched the game last night, that Juan Mata could be on the market. I don't know... there is anyway a reluctance in England to sell to each other."

When asked whether Mata's father was a guest of Arsenal, Wenger smiled: "No. I don't know. Maybe."

Chelsea sold us both Lassana Diarra and William Gallas during Mourinho's first reign and they lent us Benayoun. Diarra i might add was a young player we got for £2m who was eventually sold for £24m to Real Madrid

In turn we sold them Ashley Cole.

I cant see them being unwilling to sell us a player to be honest or United being unwilling either for that matter.

• Advertisement

"No, I don't know, maybe"

He gave three answers to one question. Classic Arsene.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

He is infuriating.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Going to be an epic few days until the end of the Transfer Window. The squad is super thin.

Come on Arsne splash the **** out!! We have an insatiable hunger to satisfy after years of slimfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Excitement doesn't describe it now :P Imagine if we did sign Mata

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

TheGunns wrote: »
    Excitement doesn't describe it now :P Imagine if we did sign Mata

Don't do it to yourself!

• Advertisement

Forget about mata that's not gonna happen. There's a chance of Ozil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Flamini and Cabaye is all I'm allowing myself. Anything else would be a bonus and a massive shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Ive given up checking who we are linked with now at this stage i hear ozil is the new name mentioned next it will be ronaldo.

Sooner deadline day arrives the better that will be a day of great joy or despair for us.

Saying all that apart from villa loss the lads have been good this season witnh ramsey really stepping it up a few gears.

We have a good foundation but need a one or two stars and a few squad players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

How about a 'we've only got one sub' chant?

I've still decent hopes for this week. Wenger is stubborn but he's not stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

"No, I don't know, maybe"

He gave three answers to one question. Classic Arsene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OUR transfer window is now officially open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

BBC with an article about how we benefit from the seeding system, as though we don't deserve to be top seeds.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23680545

Bit ridiculous really, as the only side ranked below us with a real argument to be ahead of us are Dortmund IMO. PSG and City haven't got much of a Europeans record to allow them to argue that they should be ahead of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

BBC with an article about how we benefit from the seeding system, as though we don't deserve to be top seeds.

Bit ridiculous really, as the only side ranked below us with a real argument to be ahead of us are Dortmund IMO. PSG and City haven't got much of a Europeans record to allow them to argue that they should be ahead of us.

We've gotten out of the group stage 14 times in the last 15 years. Placing us at least in the top 16 in each of those years. I'd like to see a table that counts all the group qualifiers in that period and see where we rank. Surely it would be in the top 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

What's Draxler's release clause, €45m? Yes, it's a sh*t ton of money but if Di Maria doesn't happen we should do it. He was immense last night and still only 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

That article states:
    They have been a pot one (or top-eight ranked) team in each of the past 10 campaigns, but have not beaten another top-ranked side since they eliminated AC Milan in the last 16 in 2007-08.

Did we not beat Bayern Munich 0-2 last season?

EDIT* maybe they're talking about aggregate score..

Still - load of old balls

myabe I'm reading it wrong - but I stopped after that line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Head guy in BBC sports is a huge spuds fan, always has it in for us. City have been in it twice and not gotten out of the group stages, any high ranking would be a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It's not possible to have a system that would be fair to everyone, someone will always lose out. What is good about the current system is that it does not immediately reward the sugar daddys, PSG, Man City, etc, but at the same time clubs like Dortmund lose out.

A better system would be to just have a totally open draw, but UEFA will never go for that. It would mean that you could have weaker teams in the knock out stages and that is not good for their bank balance.

Or just have league winners/champions league holder as first seed and leave everyone else open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What's Draxler's release clause, €45m? Yes, it's a sh*t ton of money but if Di Maria doesn't happen we should do it. He was immense last night and still only 20.

Didnt he only sign a new contract a few months ago, doubt he'd want to leave.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Didnt he only sign an ew contract a few months ago, doubt he'd want to leave.

Schalke has gotten off to a very poor Bundesliga start and scraped into CL last night over POAK. He publicly stated yesterday that he wants the club to make new signings. Also, @SportBild tweeted earlier that Schalke are thinking of selling him for €45.5m.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but it's feasible if we wanted to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Schalke has gotten off to a very poor Bundesliga start and scraped into CL last night over POAK. He publicly stated yesterday that he wants the club to make new signings. Also, @SportBild tweeted earlier that Schalke are thinking of selling him for €45.5m.

I'm not saying it'll happen, but it's feasible if we wanted to pay.

Very true, given the right money I'd say he'd jump at a chance to moving to the EPL and with Arsenal having a few German internationals that always helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

That article is ridiculously condescending.
    In the past five seasons, the average rankings of the other teams in the Gunners' group has been 55, and they have not even had any dark horses like Dortmund were last year to deal with - in fact, the furthest any of their group rivals has got in that time is the quarter-finals. That happened three times, and the teams involved (Marseille, Shakhtar Donetsk and Porto) lost by a 13-3 aggregate scoreline.

Dortmund were in our group the season before last, they didn't make it out of the group because we knocked them out.
    In any case, the seeding system will not change for the next six years. The regulations for the next cycle of Uefa club competitions, from 2015 to 2019, were agreed in May.
    That means Arsenal fans can rest easy and continue to celebrate their coefficient - they might even have won a trophy by then too.

And the writer is not only a moron but a douchebag.

But he'll be cup tied for CL, no?

Sounds like he'll be there til January at the earliest.

But he'll be cup tied for CL, no?

Sounds like he'll be there til January at the earliest.

Draxler? Any players in teams that qualified last night are still free to join a different club between the group stages begin. I looked up the UEFA rules after seeing the Podolski/Schalke rumours a while back.

EDIT: apologies, I'm wrong. If both teams qualify through the qualifying stages then the player is cup-tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Its 14 hours now since the window opened. Who have we signed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

keano_afc wrote: »
    Its 14 hours now since the window opened. Who have we signed?

Its not that simple-

- Wenger probably starts his work day at 11am
    - Then he has a lunch between 11.30 and 2pm
    - Then home time at 3pm

So expect the sightings at about 2.30pm!

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Its not that simple-

- Wenger probably starts his work day at 11am
    - Then he has a lunch between 11.30 and 2pm
    - Then home time at 3pm

So expect the sightings at about 2.30pm!

cushiest job in football!!

(apart from reserve goalie)

bad2dabone wrote: »
    cushiest job in football!!

(apart from reserve goalie)

In the 2011/2012 season Wayne Bridge earned £4.7m and played 8 games in all competitions, all of which took place a few months after he started dating one of The Saturdays. That just can't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭ronjo

it just dawned on me why we havent signed Suarez yet.
    As Liverpool played in the League Cup last night one extra game in his suspension was used up.

Well played Gazidis :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Flamini is signed apparently.

More details are scarce, but welcome back Flamster. Gilles Grimandi Mk2.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Flamini is signed apparently.

More details are scarce, but welcome back Flamster. Gilles Grimandi Mk2.
    Given the club's utter incompetence when it comes to negotiating for players that cost actual money, it has to be done really.

Here's to paying premium wages on peripheral squad players and instead of paying premium transfer fees!

• Advertisement

In the 2011/2012 season Wayne Bridge earned £4.7m and played 8 games in all competitions, all of which took place a few months after he started dating one of The Saturdays. That just can't be beat.

I bow down to Wayne Bridge's talents!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Im glad to have Flamini back anyway, regardless of who else is signed. A tidy player with a bit of heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭golfball37

He even got to snub John Terry that year too, lucky boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

Will Flamini be the latest Frenchman to wear the supposedly cursed no. 18 jersey!?

Worn previously by Squallaci, Silvestre, Cygan and Grimandi. Have I missed anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Will Flamini be the latest Frenchman to wear the supposedly cursed no. 18 jersey!?

Worn previously by Squallaci, Silvestre, Cygan and Grimandi. Have I missed anyone else?
    Grimandi was a great servant to the club, Would hardly say he was cursed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement