Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Raf32 wrote: »
    to be honest i would take anything at this stage, even numbers to just make up the bench

I wouldn't we need squad filler but for me to be saittisfied with this summer I want top class.
    FearDark wrote: »
    To be fair Wenger has made such a BALLS of it theres little or no chance of us picking up top class signings.

We will get Flamini and possibly Cabaye and if we're lucky some DM from the French league none of us have heard of.

He has made a balls of it true, I am frustrated but I'm not giving up hope till the window closes otherwise I'd be ranting now and I don't want that :pac:.
    I'd flamini as top class.....

huh?

Edit: seen your re edit. I wouldnt put Flamini as top class but I'll take him as the squad filler no problem, we need that as much as we need the top class signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

As I said earlier just because they want to stay and lets be honest it's Real Madrid who wouldn't want to stay put, that does not mean the club want them to stay ;).

Doesnt matter a fcuk to be honest.Fact is we havent signed anyone. This is nearly worse than this time 2 years ago when we signed arteta etc on the final day. I have no faith at all in our transfer policy and i cant believe we havent signed anyone all summer.Its a bloody disgrace!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Sergio wrote: »
    Doesnt matter a fcuk to be honest.Fact is we havent signed anyone. This is nearly worse than this time 2 years ago when we signed arteta etc on the final day. I have no faith at all in our transfer policy and i cant believe we havent signed anyone all summer.Its a bloody disgrace!

The recent results are putting a gloss on things. We are still in dire trouble without a few signings.

Sergio wrote: »

Jasus you could have at least used Santos as an example in your rant, using Arteta just proves there is still time and reason to have hope ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Tottenham have broken their transfer record three times this summer and that shows ambition, something which we really lack. sure we may write off their signings as "average", but thats all their current platform allows them to ( small revenue intake from WHL and no champions league football), but these signings will help bring them to the next phase of their plan which is champions league football. Who knows then? A team with champions league football, willing to spend and have ambition and they can kick on to even higher levels. While we find ourselves with 5 days to go with one first team signing ( an injury prone kid) with one of the best platforms in the world, for me as an Arsenal fan all my life is extremely worrying. If we dont show ambition in the next few days we are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Flamini will be our only signing before the NLD, and even that is taking a lot longer than it should. Embarrassing. The meltdown is coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

AdamD wrote: »
    Seriously, explain why you'd want Torres. I really, really, really don't get it.

Ah no. Don't get me wrong here.

I'm more saying if Torres and Mata were the two 'world class signings' we've come to expect, I'd bite your hand off at this stage.

On the other hand though. Torres was so good for Liverpool. He just tore apart premier league defences for a couple of years. I know that's gone now but who knows, maybe it could resurrected? I wouldn't be confidant though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quazzie wrote: »
    Meh. Anyone that has signed for Spurs I'm not too fussed about to be honest. Spurs are about their level.

Soldado and Lamela are two signings that if we had made them I'd have been very happy. Probably Capoue too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Yeah he's top class alright, Milan let his contract run out.

Sarcasm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Yeah he's top class alright, Milan let his contract run out.

He rejected a new contract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

To the tune of "we are family" (by arseblog) ;

Matthew flam-in-i

We sign him because he is free

I laughed anyway.

If you don't think Spurs' signings of nearly €100m (and still going) hasn't closed the 1 point between us and them last season, you are blinkered by bias.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

bad2dabone wrote: »
    To the tune of "we are family" (by arseblog) ;

Matthew flam-in-i

We sign him because he is free

I laughed anyway.

I laughed too...because they spelled his name wrong :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

TheGunns wrote: »
    He rejected a new contract

Didn't we also poach him for free of a French club, sounds like he has commitment issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

All this talk of early signing versus late signing is a load of bull**** in my opinion.
    We are ARSENAL a Champions League team for the last 16 years and lads are trying to convince us that players are reluctant to sign for us until we have made CL again. Bull**** and i'm calling it as such. If that was the case then why was there no deals done secretly with the proviso that the announcement would be made today after our qualification or the signing would fall through if we didn't make CL?

There will be feck all money spent by our club yet again. I told you all at the start of the summer. We will get 1 or 2 on the cheap I reckon and on the deadline as usual. A few squad players. Our club is more about money and profits than ambition and the last 8 years prove that. If we spend anywhere near 30 million on a player i will stand in the nip at the Square in Dundalk and that won't be a pretty sight.

• Advertisement

If you don't think Spurs' signings of nearly €100m (and still going) hasn't closed the 1 point between us and them last season, you are blinkered by bias.

No one thinks Spurs haven't signed well it's just we are or were hoping for better signings than those that they have signed so far this summer ;).

Looking at twitter you can already see the tension rising it will be unbelievable levels of anger if nothing gets done by Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Delighted Flamini has been signed as a squad player as he is experienced, can cover three different positions and is familiar with the setup. It doesn't take away from the fact that we need more players of 1st team quality specifically a DM, CB, CF and maybe a winger.

All this talk of early signing versus late signing is a load of bull**** in my opinion.
    We are ARSENAL a Champions League team for the last 16 years and lads are trying to convince us that players are reluctant to sign for us until we have made CL again. Bull**** and i'm calling it as such. If that was the case then why was there no deals done secretly with the proviso that the announcement would be made today after our qualification or the signing would fall through if we didn't make CL?

There will be feck all money spent by our club yet again. I told you all at the start of the summer. We will get 1 or 2 on the cheap I reckon and on the deadline as usual. A few squad players. Our club is more about money and profits than ambition and the last 8 years prove that. If we spend anywhere near 30 million on a player i will stand in the nip at the Square in Dundalk and that won't be a pretty sight. I have been calling this all summer and there are only 5 days left now.

Heartbreaking to be promised a record summer of signings, and to see it happening to spurs instead. While on August 28th with zero excuses left, we still have signed nobody.
    I can't believe it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Considering just how important Bale was to them last year though (like it really was ridiculous how many games he won on his own for them) you have to take that into account.

That's obviously no excuse for what we've done but I honestly think we'll finish above them. I'm saying that presuming that we are going to make at least 2 signings in the next few days of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If we spend anywhere near 30 million on a player i will stand in the nip at the Square in Dundalk and that won't be a pretty sight.

Just quoting this in case you come to your senses and delete it :)

We will require photographic evidence and a copy of the arrest report as proof ;)

If we don't sign a few world class players by Monday I believe Wenger has failed at his job because we won't be winning any titles this year AGAIN and I for one will want him to resign.

Also the club can stick there media watch crap up there hole.

If we don't sign a few world class players by Monday I believe Wenger has failed at his job because we won't be winning any titles this year AGAIN and I for one will want him to resign.

If we don't sign players I will agree with you, I will be calling for heads to roll or at a bare minimum a director of football be appointed.

Also the club can stick there media watch crap up there hole.

Some of the abusive responses that twitter account gets are hilarious

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Some of the abusive responses that twitter account gets are hilarious

I've never actually looked at the responses must give it a look next time, not suprised though.

What annoys me more than the twitter media watch is the fact they have it up on the homepage of Arsenal.com gobshiites.

If we don't sign players I will agree with you, I will be calling for heads to roll or at a bare minimum a director of football be appointed.

It is a crazy way to run the club as last minute Joes.
    I don't care whose fault it is either whether it be the Board, Wenger or Wenger's bloody cat. The club and it's fans deserve better and I cannot understand why Gazildis came out and said that we had loads of money to spend. Rubbing the fans noses in it.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Even the most blinkered Arsenal fans have to admit that Spurs have bought in some quality. Bale is a huge loss to them but at least they have re-invested the money while we have repeatedly sold our best players, spent very little of it, charged the highest prices and the money is gathering interest somewhere.
    I just cannot figure out why the fcuk this is taking so long, surely there is at least 1 person in the club that has an idea about negotiating, or to put it like this, surely there is somebody at the top table that can see that unless something changes, we're headed for serious trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

EVERYBODY PANIC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Didn't we also poach him for free of a French club, sounds like he has commitment issues.
    Or is he signs a contract then he has the respect to honour it - not dissimilar to what wenger has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Whether it's due to incompetence or not, it is absolutely criminal for a club in the position we're in to go through an entire transfer window with absolutely nothing of note to show for it. There's absolutely no reason for it at this stage, and it's not like the squad doesn't need new additions.

As AFCamden said on twitter:
    Highest paid manager. Highest paid CEO. Highest ticket prices. More cash than the other 19 clubs combined.

0 senior signings on Aug 28.

Finally we are all on the same page at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Honestly folks, calling for heads to roll just because we haven't signed anybody is daft.

I want us to make signings as much as anybody, but if we don't it's not necessarily the end of the world. For all you know, not signing anyone could force Wengers hand in terms of giving game time to Gnabry, Frimpong, Miyaichi etc. anyone of whom could potentially make the step up. Or not. Remember Ashley Cole was rumoured to be lined up to exit the club before an injury to Sylvinho gave him his break? Anything can happen in football and the team should be judged solely on the performances.

Spurs have spent millions on players with great potential. We already have players of great potential on the bench. We need established world class players to move this club onto the next level. That's a tougher nut to crack.

If come the end of Oct we're languishing in midtable, then yes, let's have that discussion on whether changes are needed in management. But the 2nd of Sept? Madness. People here really are losing the plot.

Why haven't we made a second bid for Cabaye yet? It's like we made some lowball bids to temporarily placate the fans after the Villa defeat and then hoped fans had forgotten about the bids once we beat Fenerbache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Honestly folks, calling for heads to roll just because we haven't signed anybody is daft.

I want us to make signings as much as anybody, but if we don't it's not necessarily the end of the world. For all you know, not signing anyone could force Wengers hand in terms of giving game time to Gnabry, Frimpong, Miyaichi etc. anyone of whom could potentially make the step up. Or not. Remember Ashley Cole was rumoured to be lined up to exit the club before an injury to Sylvinho gave him his break? Anything can happen in football and the team should be judged solely on the performances.

Spurs have spent millions on players with great potential. We already have players of great potential on the bench. We need established world class players to move this club onto the next level. That's a tougher nut to crack.

If come the end of Oct we're languishing in midtable, then yes, let's have that discussion on whether changes are needed in management. But the 2nd of Sept? Madness. People here really are losing the plot.
    I think the people who think this is ok are the ones who have lost the plot tbh

I never looked for anyone to go.
    I don't care whose fault it is but something is very wrong.
    I want the club to take action and sign the players we need.

Are you comparing Lamela/Soldado/Paulinho to Gnabry/Sanogo/Frimpong?

I like how with just a few days before the deadline of AKBs' "let's see how things are come Sept 2", people are now trying to move the goalposts to October.

AdamD wrote: »
    I think the people who think this is ok are the ones who have lost the plot tbh

So someone who judges the team and the manager on the back of results is more insane than someone who judges them on the back of the gossip pages in the rags? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

wonga77 wrote: »
    Even the most blinkered Arsenal fans have to admit that Spurs have bought in some quality.

Exactly - they have proven you don't need to have Champions League football to make big signings as long as the players believe the club is going places.

They also did as much of their business as possible early and given players time to bed in.

Granted Lamela was signed late - but at least they'd already strengthened at that stage, and weren't sitting there waiting for a signing to bring them up to enough players to actually fill a bench with no u17s on it.

• Advertisement

Its shiit like this that makes me angry. "next level" Oh FFS!! We should be at the stage where we are WINNING things or at least competing, we are doing neither. Have some goddamn ambition. "next level" Oh, so what should we be aiming for 3rd this year? I'm ****ing sick of it, If Wenger doesn't do his job by Monday he should just go because we will be officially be going backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Erikson now talking to tottenham as well.

Its almost like taunting someone who is starving with all the food you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Those players may be good prospects but can't be relied upon if we actually want to win something. Even with new signings, they'd still get playing time here or on loan. There's no reason to be putting so much faith in the youngsters when we have so much cash at our disposal. We have to make use of the resources we have or else what's the point?

Yes. None of spurs signings are proven at the highest level. They might be closer to it... but it doesn't mean they make the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I like how with just a few days before the deadline of AKBs' "let's see how things are come Sept 2", people are now trying to move the goalposts to October.

Also in fairness those 3 were signed as starters, the 3 Arsenal players are squad players. Bit unfair for us to be comparing those.

So someone who judges the team and the manager on the back of results is more insane than someone who judges them on the back of the gossip pages in the rags? Really?

I would think that having 13 fit first team experienced players for Sunday is not planning properly. You need experienced pros to play against any team in the top 8 in my opinion. We are a 3/4 more injuries short of a team similar to the one that were hammered 8 -- 2 by United.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Yes. None of spurs signings are proven at the highest level. They might be closer to it... but it doesn't mean they make the step up.

Serie A & La liga aren't top level? Is it because they haven't played a cold rainy night at Stoke?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They're a lot more proven than the likes of gnabry and have been playing first team football at their previous clubs.

I think we have the makings of a great team at the moment, and I really really like the players we have but to think our squad has enough depth to compete this season is downright insane.

Relying on Ryo, Gnabry et al to make a breakthrough rather than signing established players is along the same lines of taking out a mortgage because you have a good feeling about the lotto this week. Nuts.

At least they spent the money and tried.
    We haven't even spent the CESC or RVP money yet.

As mush as some people have been going into hypebole about us being doommed at times this is just equally as bad as any of that if not worse.

How can one be content with having so much money in the bank a squad that is painfully thin to the point the clubs has become a laughing stock.

Have people running the club who quite obviously are the most inept bunch ever to try negotiate deals for players.

You can gloss over it all you want regardless of were we finish this season there are big problems at the club that need to be sorted and you can be assured with this current squad we will not be title challengers something we should be with our finances. Believing people being angry over the current situation should we not sign players is living with your head in the clouds ignoring the garingly obvious flaws we have.

Gazidis and Wenger take home just under ten million in wages a year probably more if you factor in bonuses what have they done to earn that in this transfer window so far? Apart from piss off a few clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Anyone who is turning there nose up at the players spurs have brought in is nothing short of delusional they have signed players in every position we need reinforcing and more so

Im an Arsenal fan true and true but by **** they've done some fantastic business this summer and I for one am truly jealous of them having Baldini, Levy and a young hungry manager who's sole job is to manage not run the club like our Arsene

To be honest if we do bring in a star player i'll be very surprised at this late stage , Can see us drawing with them sunday though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement