Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yes. None of spurs signings are proven at the highest level. They might be closer to it... but it doesn't mean they make the step up.

Hah. Alright then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

gandalf wrote: »
    Delighted Flamini has been signed as a squad player as he is experienced, can cover three different positions and is familiar with the setup. It doesn't take away from the fact that we need more players of 1st team quality specifically a DM, CB, CF and maybe a winger.

who said he has been signed? link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone who is turning there nose up at the players spurs have brought in is nothing short of delusional they have signed players in every position we need reinforcing and more so

Im an Arsenal fan true and true but by **** they've done some fantastic business this summer and I for one am truly jealous of them having Baldini, Levy and a young hungry manager who's sole job is to manage not run the club like our Arsene

To be honest if we do bring in a star player i'll be very surprised at this late stage , Can see us drawing with them sunday though

I think we will beat them on Sunday but overall to compete in 4 competitions and play over 50 games they are much better equipped at the minute.
    Our squad is alarmingly short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Hah. Alright then.

I agreed with some of the points you made at the start of your argument but I have to disagree with your fourth and last point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

5 days to go and no signing. What an absolute disaster. How did It come to this? Seriously an explanation has to be given. Its not acceptable.

Highest paid manager in the league.
    Highest ticket prices.
    £170m in the bank.

And so far we have signed a French kid on a free transfer. With 5 days to go in the window. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They're a lot more proven than the likes of gnabry and have been playing first team football at their previous clubs.

I think we have the makings of a great team at the moment, and I really really like the players we have but to think our squad has enough depth to compete this season is downright insane.

Relying on Ryo, Gnabry et al to make a breakthrough rather than signing established players is along the same lines of taking out a mortgage because you have a good feeling about the lotto this week. Nuts.

Gotta agree with this. We cannot be relying on these young lads to make the step up. Even Sanogo shouldn't be near the first team yet.

Spurs have spent well but they have paid big fees for some of the players. If one of the big money ones don't work out they could end up talking a huge loss. Especially if they don't make champions league. Their wage bill must be higher then ours now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Wow. Even after all thats happened over the last 8 or so years there are still so many deluded Arsenal fans out there believing the next great team we have are coming through the ranks...

Honestly lol.

We grow em'.
    We sell em'.
    We stay static.
    Repeat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The fact that we're in here talking about Spurs sums up perfectly how badly they've ****ed up this summer (and it isn't the only one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Spurs fan in peace again ...

Christ I'd be pulling my hair out if I was you guys and I completely understand your frustration. Even I'm nearly frustrated and I'm a yid.

I think every spurs fan in the world actually really feared the pre summer, talked up investment arsenal were about to make in the team. We all thought you guys were gonna spend 50/60/70 million quid if not more and leave us for dust after all the progress we made.

Now I'm the first to admit, we're notorious for celebrating something we haven't even managed yet but you've really given is all the encouragement we need this summer. We can't believe what's going on up the road. You guys really need to sign players or you will come up short. Even Liverpool are looking saucy this year. It could be proper squeaky bum time come end of May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

G1032 wrote: »
    who said he has been signed? link?

Sorry I read the posts preceding mine to indicate that he had signed. Obviously he hasn't yet (ffs we can't even sign an ex-player on a free who seems to want to join us!).

• Advertisement

@GeoffArsenal says Flamini has re-signed. Break out the mineral water!

Huzzah.

Lets go for the treble!

Until January.

I'm patiently waiting for the return of Anelka.

It still remains in tact!

http://havearsenalspentanymoneyyet.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I'm seriously starting to believe Wenger won't buy big. We might drag in the usual dregs with the one great signing. The sad thing is this team needs 4 top signings and we could win the league. I'm pretty confident of that. Pity our Manager seems to think us fan's are ungrateful.

I'm patiently waiting for the return of Anelka.

I would laugh but I wouldn't be surprised if this comes true.

Maybe we could get Henry again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Chill out

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm seriously starting to believe Wenger won't buy big. We might drag in the usual dregs with the one great signing. The sad thing is this team needs 4 top signings and we could win the league. I'm pretty confident of that. Pity our Manager seems to think us fan's are ungrateful.

I still get migraines from the "brainwashing" Wenger has warned us all about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

do ya ever notice the great relationship we have with past players? They are always training with us or looking to come back.

yay

FearDark wrote: »

Jeffers? Second time lucky for the Fox In The Box?

Whats Wayne Rooneys brother up to these days? John Rooney, can we get him. Technically its a big name signing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Maybe Wenger was the one who bid for Bale. ;)

Whats Wayne Rooneys brother up to these days? John Rooney, can we get him. Technically its a big name signing.

Higuain's brother is actually playing great these days: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federico_Higua%C3%ADn

2 pound bid with 100,000 a week wages. Sounds about right. :pac:

Martin Keown will be next.

• Advertisement

Maybe Wenger was the one who bid for Bale. ;)

The Bale of hay you mean. He's still trying to knock the price down to 50p.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

The Bale of hay you mean. He's still trying to knock the price down to 50p.

Trying to bring it in from France too I hear. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Are we really still going on about Spurs and who they're linked with/signing all the time?

gosplan wrote: »
    Are we really still going on about Spurs and who they're linked with/signing all the time?

They are in talks with Ajax for Christian Eriksen. We should be shown them who's boss not the other way round. Where's our ambition.

To be fair they've outdone us completely in this window, arch rivals, seemingly competing for the same position this year. So yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We finished a point ahead of Spurs last season. They have reacted to that and we've stood still. I think its perfectly valid to talk about our rivals for the 4th place trophy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

7 pages to read, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Gringo180 wrote: »

Ah the eternal optimist :)

They are in talks with Ajax for Christian Eriksen. We should be shown them who's boss not the other way round. Where's our ambition.

Who gives a sh1t?

Our situation is our situation. It's independent of whatever they do. We show them who's boss when we play them, not by being linked with players.

As an aside though I think people have to really question how we rate players these days. I think a noxious combination of twitter, football manager, and YouTube compilations have caused us to totally lose sight of any meaningful way to judge a player.

So if Lamela is the sh1t, then what about Osvaldo? How good were Roma's strike force last year? How come they're not in Europe?

If Erikson is that great, then where was the move for him all summer?

How come Willian is the only player who chose to join a bigger club?

Do not trust twitter, do not trust newspapers. There is an army of well paid scouts and managers who really know what they're doing (except at Arsenal). If someone like Erikson was that great then he would not be available for 15 million now.

So will people please stop posting rants whenever Spurs are linked with someone who wouldn't make our team.

Gringo180 wrote: »

I've started just cutting straight to the last page. Saves time and bleeding of the eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

Controversial post, gosplan. But made sense to me.

37xac.gif

Who gives a sh1t?

Arsenal fan's do. You are shown far too much disrespect to their signings. We would give our left arm for some of those players. Lets stop been foolish and stop trying to make excuses for our managers lack of ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Arsenal fan's do. You are shown far too much disrespect to their signings. We would give our left arm for some of those players. Lets stop been foolish and stop trying to make excuses for our managers lack of ambition.

If he's guilty of anything this transfer window it's being too ambitious. The calibre of player we have been attempting to bring in has been higher than anything Spurs have bought.

Who gives a sh1t?

Our situation is our situation. It's independent of whatever they do. We show them who's boss when we play them, not by being linked with players.

As an aside though I think people have to really question how we rate players these days. I think a noxious combination of twitter, football manager, and YouTube compilations have caused us to totally lose sight of any meaningful way to judge a player.

So if Lamela is the sh1t, then what about Osvaldo? How good were Roma's strike force last year? How come they're not in Europe?

If Erikson is that great, then where was the move for him all summer?

How come Willian is the only player who chose to join a bigger club?

Do not trust twitter, do not trust newspapers. There is an army of well paid scouts and managers who really know what they're doing (except at Arsenal). If someone like Erikson was that great then he would not be available for 15 million now.

So will people please stop posting rants whenever Spurs are linked with someone who wouldn't make our team.

That's a good post Gosplan however it does not explain our inactivity in the market or why any player we have tried to sign has snubbed us. I myself fear that we are just not serious enough or offering enough. The valuations we are putting on the players we have tried (genuinely) to sign are either outdated or maybe miserly IF we have tried to sign them at all.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    If he's guilty of anything this transfer window it's being too ambitious. The calibre of player we have been attempting to bring in has been higher than anything Spurs have bought.

Doesn't mean anything if you underbid and walk away. We can't close deals or even get our foot in the door right now.

Where am I being foolish?

What excuses am I making?

Anyway, Personally I don't doubt that Spurs have signed a few decent players.

No-one knows which ones they are though. They're employing a scattergun approach to get the best sub-CL players that might go some way towards replacing Bale or improving their forward line.

But there's a huge random element to it and I'm sick of people banging on about how amazing every player they're linked with is.

I don't think we've tried hard enough. We could have got Higuain if we spent a few more quid on him, yet we didn't. No excuse for a Big club like ours to not compete in the transfer market. This summer should have been our statement of shown the City's, Utd's and Chelsea's we mean business. Yet again our Manager makes excuses for signing anyone. We shouldn't be so thread bare for a top 4 side.

Tomorrow's CL pots:

Pot One: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica.

Pot Two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, PSG, Juventus

Pot Three: Zenit, Man City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Leverkusen

Pot Four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucuresti, Viktoria Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna

The Group of Death for us would be Juventus, Dortmund and Napoli in my opinion. Easiest group would be Schalke/CSKA, Olympiakos, Austria Vienna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

That hasn't been true in a long time. Sanogo cost £500,000.

Have Arsenal spent any money yet? Yes.
    Have Arsenal spent much money? Not even close.

We've been drawn WBA away in the League Cup by the way.

That's a good post Gosplan however it does not explain our inactivity in the market or why any player we have tried to sign has snubbed us. I myself fear that we are just not serious enough or offering enough. The valuations we are putting on the players we have tried (genuinely) to sign are either outdated or maybe miserly IF we have tried to sign them at all.

Agree with this.

I do think the offers and attempts were genuine but I just think that in terms of transfers, Wenger is perfect ... for the 03/04 market.

But was this just all a smoke screen to appease us fans? Why the fcuk didn't we just pay the extra few million for Higuain? If we don't sign anybody I am not joking we are in for a long long season, I just can't see us even getting top 5 with this squad of players and then you will have the big clubs who are ambitious and winning trophies sniffing around for Cazorla, Kos and Wilshere, and how can you blame them for leaving to further there career? Would anybody work in McDonald's if they were offered a job in a Gordon Ramsey restaurant??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭G1032

So we'll get Juve, Dortmund and Celtic.......!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't think we've tried hard enough. We could have got Higuain if we spent a few more quid on him, yet we didn't. No excuse for a Big club like ours to not compete in the transfer market. This summer should have been our statement of shown the City's, Utd's and Chelsea's we mean business. Yet again our Manager makes excuses for signing anyone. We shouldn't be so thread bare for a top 4 side.

We dropped interest in Higuain when we thought Suarez was achievable.

I'm not saying this window hasn't been an absolute disaster that has been as badly mismanaged as you can imagine by the way.

Still 4 and a half days to turn it round.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement