Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Vela scored twice tonight to put his side into the CL and knock out Lyon, think some in here were talking about the possibility of raiding a team like that if they missed out on CL football this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Its just like a cycle at Arsenal the past 8 years, we buy players, we make them better, we sell for profit, buy more players with potential, make them better and sell for profit again. This was the first season in a long long time that we had a huge chance to strengthen the team without losing any of our top players, but we have seem to have blown this opportunity to close the gap on our rivals. It is just demoralising stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

Tomorrow's CL pots:

Pot One: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica.

Pot Two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, PSG, Juventus

Pot Three: Zenit, Man City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Leverkusen

Pot Four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucuresti, Viktoria Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna

The Group of Death for us would be Juventus, Dortmund and Napoli in my opinion. Easiest group would be Schalke/CSKA, Olympiakos, Austria Vienna.

Would normally be: sherlock-202-scare.jpg

But with all our new signings it'll be: tumblr_inline_milr7jEdwb1qz4rgp.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

greendom wrote: »
    We dropped interest in Higuain when we thought Suarez was achievable.

I'm not saying this window hasn't been an absolute disaster that has been as badly mismanaged as you can imagine by the way.

Still 4 and a half days to turn it round.

I hope you're right Greendom I really hope you are, But this transfer market was a mess and Wenger has to take the blame. Signing Flamini ain't shown any kind of ambition to compete. What shocks me is how upset Wenger is that fan's want cash to be spent on players. He really think's the fans and press our out of line.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Its just like a cycle at Arsenal the past 8 years, we buy players, we make them better, we sell for profit, buy more players with potential, make them better and sell for profit again. This was the first season in a long long time that we had a huge chance to strengthen the team without losing any of our top players, but we have seem to have blown this opportunity to close the gap on our rivals. It is just demoralising stuff!

It is sad that we are clearly not going in the right direction in terms of things on the field. Wenger has to take the blame, to go into this season with such a thread bare squad is unforgiveable. We have to play over 4 fronts this season and we barely have a second string team. If we don't sign big in the next few days we will be out of everything by the end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm curious if we see another Suarez bid now that we've qualified. Reckon he would be a lot more interested now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Im going to hold my counsel for the next few days and if there no signings confirmed by sunday then i give up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tomorrow's CL pots:

Pot One: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, FC Porto, Benfica.

Pot Two: Atletico Madrid, Shakhtar Donetsk, AC Milan, Schalke, Marseille, CSKA Moscow, PSG, Juventus

Pot Three: Zenit, Man City, Ajax, Borussia Dortmund, Basel, Olympiakos, Galatasaray, Leverkusen

Pot Four: FC Copenhagen, Napoli, Anderlecht, Celtic, Steaua Bucuresti, Viktoria Plzen, Real Sociedad, Austria Vienna

The Group of Death for us would be Juventus, Dortmund and Napoli in my opinion. Easiest group would be Schalke/CSKA, Olympiakos, Austria Vienna.
    Juve and Napoli can't be in the same group. Put PSG in instead though, and it's just as scary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm curious if we see another Suarez bid now that we've qualified. Reckon he would be a lot more interested now.

I'll be upset if we dont bid again tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Log on, have we got anyone?

No

Star-Trek.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I just think teams will be so reluctant to sell their best players this late in the window, when they've essentially so little time to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

keano_afc wrote: »
    I just think teams will be so reluctant to sell their best players this late in the window, when they've essentially so little time to replace.

Once the Bale deal happens, Eto'o goes to Chelsea and Spurs get Eriksen - all of which could happen tomorrow - all of the major clubs are finished buying, bar us and Man Utd. So we're absolutely going to find selling clubs trying to completely rinse us on price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Its 30 years since I first stood on the North Bank and I have seen the good and the bad time but regretfully this is the first year I have despair.

We have witnessed other Clubs do good business and strengthen their squads not just tho challenge foe 4th place but to win the premiership and go on the the Champions League.

But what do we do. We have left 20 players go and have brought in a kid. It make me wonder if players do not have faith in what the Club stands for or do they not want to sign for us.

IMO we have become a mediocre club run by shareholders for the profit of shareholders to whom 4th is an acceptable standard. We do not have the team to challenge for a top 4 next Season never mind get out of the pool stages of the CL.

The depression has set :(:mad:

Once the Bale deal happens, Eto'o goes to Chelsea and Spurs get Eriksen - all of which could happen tomorrow - all of the major clubs are finished buying, bar us and Man Utd. So we're absolutely going to find selling clubs trying to completely rinse us on price.

Bonkers that we are waiting on Bale to make a move. Wenger has made an absolute BALLS of this whole thing. We could end up holding our diicks.

Watching the highlights from Mondays RM game, I'm probably the last to watch it. Di Maria was unreal.

Liam Brady sounds confident we'll see one or two surprises :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Maire2009 wrote: »
    Liam Brady sounds confident we'll see one or two surprises :o

Matching Lee Dixon's confidence. It's not much but it's all we've got.

greendom wrote: »
    Matching Lee Dixon's confidence. It's not much but it's all we've got.

I'll clutch at them straws for dear life until the window slams shut on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm calm

2 big signings will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,445 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

FearDark wrote: »
    Bonkers that we are waiting on Bale to make a move. Wenger has made an absolute BALLS of this whole thing. We could end up holding our diicks.

First we were waiting on CL qualification.
    Now we are waiting on Bale to go.
    Next we will be waiting on the Jan window.
    Then the summer window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Liam Brady also said he wouldn't be suprised if Wenger bought no one if the right targets weren't available.

It's not the lack of signings that will kill you.

It's the hope!!

I can't believe the latest excuse is we're waiting on ****ing gareth bale to move.
    There can be no more excuses.

Strengthen the team Wenger.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    I can't believe the latest excuse is we're waiting on ****ing gareth bale to move.

But who's better then the players we have Wenger will say. Then the who's that good on the market line will be next. He's always good for a laugh is Wenger .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

If we want to sign from Madrid then yes we are waiting for Bale to move. Any hope of Di Maria would hinge on that deal

Translation:

"Just wait for all the world class players to find new clubs and we'll take whats left"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I see Vela got two for Sociedad in the CL , seems to have improved a lot, how we could do with him to pad up the squad a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I see Vela got two for Sociedad in the CL , seems to have improved a lot, how we could do with him to pad up the squad a bit

He was hopeless in England. Spain suits him far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

That's not an excuse from the club. And in fairness, they never said anything about waiting till CL, though Wenger did say afterwards that 'it begins now'.

Fans are just searching anywhere for something concrete, an event after which signings will definitly happen.

• Advertisement

I know gosplan. I'm just worn-out by this summer.

I know gosplan. I'm just worn-out by this summer.

Damn right.

What i wouldn't give for the old days when you might hear something in a Saturday paper.

This round the clock update thing is a killer when you've a manager who's willing to wait till the 11th hour.

I still look at a few things to keep me positive.

1: Wenger has faith in his players but he's not nuts. He knows we need additions.

2: He rates his players very highly. The only moves we've anything concrete on (bar Cabaye) would all go into the first team. There haven't been that many players of that calibre available FOR ARSENAL this summer and it seems he's holding out for them.

3: He must be pretty confidant of picking up squad fillers on deadline day or close to it. While we'd all love to see five players signed at this stage, I don't think he's in a huge hurry to just fill the squad a bit.

I'm still positive players will come in.

If it goes according to Wenger's plan, we'll have something really good.

If it doesn't, expect another Gervinho, Arteta, Santos, Mert deadline day.

Am I the only Gooner who's a bit blasé about the transfer window?

I think we'll be fine and there's worse things to be stressing ourselves over.

Am I the only Gooner who's a bit blasé about the transfer window?

I think we'll be fine and there's worse things to be stressing ourselves over.

Sure, if your happy playing for 4th, the rest of us want a trophy.

Is that a yes or a no? I really can't tell.

I certainly ain't happy with getting 4th. I think we should be fighting for the title and winning a Cup or two. Wenger needs to step it up now, no more excuses. I hope he signs players over the next few days cause if he doesn't he's going to feel the full force of a backlash from the fan's and press.

• Advertisement

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    He was hopeless in England. Spain suits him far better.

I wouldnt rule him out coming back and having a big impact on the English game in a few years though. He'll get games and confidence and come into his own as a player as well as gaining the most valuable trait of all which is maturity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Looper007 wrote: »
    I certainly ain't happy with getting 4th. I think we should be fighting for the title and winning a Cup or two. Wenger needs to step it up now, no more excuses. I hope he signs players over the next few days cause if he doesn't he's going to feel the full force of a backlash from the fan's and press.

You mean the fans on here who wanted Wenger out before the window even opened?

Or maybe you mean the press, who are trying to sell newspapers?

Or others in the press who seem to have a grudge against Arsenal i.e. Ronnie Whelan and Stewart Robson?

This thread is getting worse. We now have Spurs fans "coming in peace" but clearly just trying to stir **** and succeeding! What's worse is the amount of people falling for it.

If anyone tries to post anything positive or at least not towing the line that the f*cking Armageddon is coming, they get berated for "settling for 4th" and not wanting the club to win.

FFS we all want Arsenal to win but attacking other Arsenal fans is not part of the and just the amount of BS being posted at the moment is embarrassing.

To be honest I'm getting more deluded with the other fans and posters in here than what Wenger is or isn't doing.

farna_boy wrote: »

Or others in the press who seem to have a grudge against Arsenal i.e. Ronnie Whelan and Stewart Robson?

This thread is getting worse. We now have Spurs fans "coming in peace" but clearly just trying to stir **** and succeeding! What's worse is the amount of people falling for it.

If anyone tries to post anything positive or at least not towing the line that the f*cking Armageddon is coming, they get berated for "settling for 4th" and not wanting the club to win.

FFS we all want Arsenal to win but attacking other Arsenal fans is not part of the and just the amount of BS being posted at the moment is embarrassing.

To be honest I'm getting more deluded with the other fans and posters in here than what Wenger is or isn't doing.

We are split at the moment . Two camps the ones who are happy with the way Wenger is running things and the camp that are fed up with his excuses and want us to compete again. It's sad we ain't all singing from the same Hymn sheet farna boy. We all want Arsenal to do well but finishing 4th just isn't enough for some of us anymore. It's B.S to you cause you don't agree with any of it. If Wenger splashed the cash no one be moaning at all about transfers. Simple as.

The press will get on our back's cause we haven't shut them up and strengthen our squad. Our manager still sprouts the same crap to them. He hasn't proved them wrong. Whelan and ex Liverpool from 80's is just bitter about 89 that's all when we beat them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Looper007 wrote: »
    We are split at the moment . Two camps the ones who are happy with the way Wenger is running things and the camp that are fed up with his excuses and want us to compete again. It's sad we ain't all singing from the same Hymn sheet farna boy. We all want Arsenal to do well but finishing 4th just isn't enough for some of us anymore. It's B.S to you cause you don't agree with any of it. If Wenger splashed the cash no one be moaning at all about transfers. Simple as.

The press will get on our back's cause we haven't shut them up and strengthen our squad. Our manager still sprouts the same crap to them. He hasn't proved them wrong. Whelan and ex Liverpool from 80's is just bitter about 89 that's all when we beat them.

Safe to say one of those camps is significantly bigger than the other.

dorgasm wrote: »
    Safe to say one of those camps is significantly bigger than the other.

And will get certainly bigger by Monday if no money is splashed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

There is only one camp I'm in that's the ARSENAL camp

Everything else is a load of bollox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

farna_boy wrote: »

Great post. However I think the word you are looking for in the last line is "disillusioned" and not "deluded".

Besides, Mr Alan has trademarked that word. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I tell you one thing if spurs hammer us at the emirates and no big signings come in any fan that still thinks wenger is right for the job would want to be put in a straight jacket and be taken away by the men in white coats

@WayneVeysey, of Goal.com (I know, I know. Look, I KNOW!) has tweeted 'Arsenal have signed a player. Story to come...'

Yeah, it's probably confirmation of Flamini. But you never know.

I tell you one thing if spurs hammer us at the emirates and no big signings come in any fan that still thinks wenger is right for the job would want to be put in a straight jacket and be taken away by the men in white coats

Give him a chance he will sign players next summer :pac:. You will hear that from his supporters.

No more excuses this Monday will tell us a lot and will either make him or break him at the club. I can't see fan's excusing him if he doesn't make some legit great signings, he will be on borrowed time that's for sure. Monday will be Wenger's judgement day. I hope he makes some stunning last minute buys but I'm not confident sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

@WayneVeysey, of Goal.com (I know, I know. Look, I KNOW!) has tweeted 'Arsenal have signed a player. Story to come...'

Steve Bould on a pay as you play deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Today is the day, something big is coming........

I think it's Flamini, not exactly going to set the world on fire with that is Wenger. Good squad player that's it.

Soups123 wrote: »
    Today is the day, something big is coming........

Yeah Bale joining Real Madrid.

Yep, it was the Flamini deal. :rolleyes:

Move along now folks...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement