Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Phoenix wrote: »
    Whats the general opinion of the Arsenal posters here?do you want suarez at your club?

anyone who says no is fúcking nuts tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Don't like the lad at all but if he managed with his contribution to push us to the very top you wouldn't argue. We need a catalyst to get us back to where we were early 2000s and he might just be that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭TheBza

batistuta9 wrote: »

The bad outweighs the good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Whats the general opinion of the Arsenal posters here?do you want suarez at your club?

100%.

I said the same last year before we were linked with him.

Can't think of another player bar Messi & Ronaldo that would have as much of an impact for Arsenal. Competition for Giroud, could also play up front with him sort of as a LWF.

Apparently he's also got the best movement you'll see in a CF and we've got the midfield to exploit it.

Admittedly he's a nasty character but it seems to be all on the pitch. Not that this makes it OK or anything but we could even use a bit of that at times.

I don't think he's worth 50 million but I just want us to go and spend it so I can get on with looking forward to the new season (this is why fans don't make good board members).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

He (with 1 or 2 other acquisitions) will turn us from a team fighting for 4th to a team fighting for 1st. Even if its just for a couple of seasons it will be worth it. He'll be a massive great stick for the media et al to beat us with but he 'll be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Hearing Suarez still wants out of England and can't understand the arsenal links.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Perfectly put Sir.

greendom wrote: »
    He (with 1 or 2 other acquisitions) will turn us from a team fighting for 4th to a team fighting for 1st. Even if its just for a couple of seasons it will be worth it. He'll be a massive great stick for the media et al to beat us with but he 'll be worth it.

Just on this note,

I've no doubt that we'd get 3 seasons max and he'd be off if Madrid it someone wanted him. Regardless of how we do, I just can't see him staying in one place for two long with the pace he pisses people off.

But we'd recoup our money mostly and if we could even get 3 years of competitiveness, Wenger could hopefully purchase the next Hazard or Ageuro instead of the next Gervinho or Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hearing Suarez still wants out of England and can't understand the arsenal links.

We might be able to defend ourselves in a court case but lets be honest we've tapped him up, and given that we wouldn't have bid had he not been interested.

• Advertisement

Apparently suarez was talking to a Uruguay journo and was saying he wants out of England, if he goes arsenal he will still feel uncomfortable and on top of that the lfc fans will hate him. He says he can't believe the silly story's that come out about him every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

if we land him I think well end up regretting it. higuain was the one for me - an excellent goal getter that would have enjoyed it at the club and would more than likely have given us his best years. suarez has all the hallmarks of being a disaster and to go off and spunk 45-50 million on him? thanks but no thanks.

I agree we need a bit of nasty and the likes of paddy v had it but they could control it - how long before luis slaps a ref or kicks someone in the head and gets a major ban? he wont last another 3 seasons in England anyway he wants out.

id love to be wrong and if I am ill hold my hands up no problem but I really think we should be going after a safer bet for our record signing

sonic85 wrote: »
    if we land him I think well end up regretting it. higuain was the one for me - an excellent goal getter that would have enjoyed it at the club and would more than likely have given us his best years. suarez has all the hallmarks of being a disaster and to go off and spunk 45-50 million on him? thanks but no thanks.

I agree we need a bit of nasty and the likes of paddy v had it but they could control it - how long before luis slaps a ref or kicks someone in the head and gets a major ban? he wont last another 3 seasons in England anyway he wants out.

id love to be wrong and if I am ill hold my hands up no problem but I really think we should be going after a safer bet for our record signing

But many people here didn't want to pay the money for hig sayin it was too much, I wonder how they will feel if we don't sign a striker at all and the money is left in the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Apparently suarez was talking to a Uruguay journo and was saying he wants out of England, if he goes arsenal he will still feel uncomfortable and on top of that the lfc fans will hate him. He says he can't believe the silly story's that come out about him every day.

not true
    this is the original liar see he is LFC fan

https://twitter.com/auxmanya91

@MostarLFC "It's about leaving England or staying Liverpool, going to Arsenal is not a good choice"

@MostarLFC LAST MOMENT: A Journalist of Uruguay (@MartinCharquero) text a SMS for Luis Suarez: "Luis, are you reading newspapers?"

this is the journo he quoted

@ LBCeleste that boy @ auxmanya91 not right. In my mind I never put that. I'm surprised you put those things.

https://twitter.com/MartinCharquero

he calls the boy a liar to this other journo who reported it.

who expalins the whole thing

@LFCfan1892_ @MartinCharquero I have apologized, to Martin. Looks like the boy was not right... it happens .. what can I say! Sorry.

@Scott_JT @MartinCharquero Not real. Martin never exchanged messages w/Luis. A boy created the tweets... feel awful about it.

https://twitter.com/LBCeleste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

But many people here didn't want to pay the money for hig sayin it was too much, I wonder how they will feel if we don't sign a striker at all and the money is left in the bank.

its kind of gas - when we were first linked with higuain people (not necessarily here) were creaming themselves saying what a great statement it was going after a player of his calibre and how much hed improve the side but then when the rumours of suarez came along it was a complete 180 degree turn - higuain wasn't worth the fee Madrid wanted etc.

I like suarez as a player - his ability cant be argued with. hes just too much of a nutcase.

arseblog again today is a good read and he linked a good article from ESPNs site http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/8101?cc=5739#

TheBza wrote: »
    The bad outweighs the good.

they don't though, they really don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Was on the fence about Suarez for the amount of money but the fact really is, if we sign Suarez then it'll be far easier to attract that better DM and CB. We won't be settling for Williams and Diame or the like, really Suarez is that next level player. The club should definitely try buy him, we've a much better squad than Liverpool already so imagine putting someone like him in there.

Another plus is Suarez could play up on his own, out wide or behind Giroud. Worth the risk, we haven't gambled in years and if he works for a season and we win something then I'll be more than happy.

We get two good seasons out of him and he pays for himself. We miss out on cl and it'll cost us a fortune in cash and club reputation. We should push on and do it all to get him. him and giroud, theo, santi, jack. Mouth watering,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Not even going to think of his value to us until he's signed.
    BUT i am drooling at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cardiff have just had an £6.8m bid for Capoue accepted. Always thought he would have been a good player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

If or when he comes he better win us a trophy before he acts the prat and fcuks off

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    Cardiff have just had an £6.8m bid for Capoue accepted. Always thought he would have been a good player for us.

Cant be true, heard PSG and Monaco were in for him. Would be madness for us not to go for him at that price

keano_afc wrote: »

Fook that's cheap, he's a tidy player

they don't though, they really don't

So having a dirty racist cheat at the club is fine then? Id say the majority of Arsenal fans on here were condemning him after the racial and biting incidents or all the other cases of him diving, or the world cup incident, but now we bid for him its all forgotten. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Yes, he's a fantastic player and all but the chap is a liability and a little scumbag.

So having a dirty racist cheat at the club is fine then? Id say the majority of Arsenal fans on here were condemning him after the racial and biting incidents or all the other cases of him diving, or the world cup incident, but now we bid for him its all forgotten. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Yes, he's a fantastic player and all but the chap is a liability and a little scumbag.

I doubt there's been one post that says he isn't a risk, its far from forgotten but there's no doubting hes beyond any talent we have so it outweighs the downside of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

so what? football fans not moral leaders. I find it hard enough keeping it moral at home and at work. Thats football its everywhere. Fickle by nature, I called Henry every name going for about an hour after the WC incident and I adore the man!

Only hypocrites here will be the people coming in celebrating if he wins us something after not wanting him.

He might be a lunatic racist.

But he'd be OUR lunatic racist.

Only hypocrites here will be the people coming in celebrating if he wins us something after not wanting him.

He wouldnt win us something the team would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

So is there anything we can all do to band together and distract Real Madrid for maybe two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

So is there anything we can all do to band together and distract Real Madrid for maybe two weeks?

Let's start a rumour that they're moving the team to Albuquerque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Give them Daniel Levys phone number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What if,

What if the club doesn't sign anybody of note in the summer window?

Wouldnt that be a right kick up teh jacksie

ultimately, yes.
    what's the major issue with it?
    you and others don't like things he has done, so what

Do L'pool fans have a problem with him at or staying at their club?

Does Wenger, a man who watched players train to get a report on their attitude, a man who shops in the €2 shop when he has to & is notorious for not paying over his valuation of a player, who wouldn't spend an extra 2mil on schwarzer, etc. a man who dropped interest in m'villa over a questionable reputation (apparently), a man that has done whats in the best interests of the club
    Making an offer of £40, again £40mil not tell you and everyone else what you are asking?
    well it should, it speaks volumes, this actually should tell you and eveyone else if he's worth it or if he's too big a liability

no hypocrisy at all i or no one else here has tried to excuse him, from what i've read.
    i'm not or i don't think anyone else is saying it's forgotten, it that we realise how good he is, it's his footballing ability that matters to us, that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Arsenal getting all down and dirty and still a big chance they wont land their villain.

whats the world coming to.

Leiva wrote: »
    Arsenal getting all down and dirty

:confused:

Interesting stuff from The Independent tonight that explains Real's lack of a bid thus far:

Liverpool would prefer to sell to someone outside the Premier League and have been frustrated by Real Madrid’s apparent lack of interest. Real have told their young strikers Jese Rodriguez and Alvaro Morata that no more forwards will be bought this summer, leaving their path clear to the first team.

Real showed an interest in Suarez earlier in the summer and believe personal terms with the forward would be quickly agreed. But they were also made aware of the buy-out clause and baulked at the £40m price tag. The Real president, Florentino Perez, would prefer to concentrate on raising the necessary funds to sign Gareth Bale this summer or next year.

Bale fits the profile of an ideal Perez signing with the sort of commercial appeal that Suarez does not have. Madrid would take 50 per cent of Bale’s image rights, an operation that would not be as lucrative in Suarez’s case.
    Missing out definitively on the Tottenham forward this summer and any continuation of Wednesday’s lack-lustre pre-season form could yet see Real reconsider on Suarez. The Spanish side were unimpressive in their second pre-season friendly against Lyons, scrambling to a 2-2 draw and if their form does not pick up, attitudes towards Suarez could change.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/luis-suarez-pins-hopes-on-premier-league-settling-liverpoolarsenal-standoff-8732679.html

Right.

Have to stop following this story.

At least today Madrid look to be less interested.

My hope is that Suarez will talk to Arsensl now. I imagine Wenger would be good at convincing.

Has anybody seen Suarez operate out wide left in any Liverpool games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

As some other poster has already said, I think we need a bit of aggression back in our team, Wilshere has it but not too many more, Suarez brings bucketloads of this to Liverpool, chases down every lost cause, fight for every ball, something we're severly lacking.

wonga77 wrote: »
    As some other poster has already said, I think we need a bit of aggression back in our team, Wilshere has it but not too many more, Suarez brings bucketloads of this to Liverpool, chases down every lost cause, fight for every ball, something we're severly lacking.

And he scores for fun :D

• Advertisement

Has anybody seen Suarez operate out wide left in any Liverpool games?

Don't think so. Pretty sure he just operates a bit deeper than the main striker usually but open to correction on this.

He's been really effective as a main striker for both Liverpool and youaregay when he's allowed to just attack the channels.

I mentioned the lwf bit but there's no real winger involved. It'd more be a forward playing to the left of Giroud as I see that as our best team.

Suarez up top and Podski out left would rule too.

Leiva wrote: »
    Arsenal getting all down and dirty and still a big chance they wont land their villain.

whats the world coming to.

Bizarre.

Strong rumours now that Bernard has moved to Porto.

Strong rumours now that Bernard has moved to Porto.

twitter or the papers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

twitter or the papers

I've seen nothing on twitter about it apart from the journalist who broke in l'equipe has tonight said it wont happen tomorrow as wenger wants to wait till he has returned from Asia we shall see.

I've seen nothing on twitter about it apart from the journalist who broke in l'equipe has tonight said it wont happen tomorrow as wenger wants to wait till he has returned from Asia we shall see.

Just Twitter. Let's see how tomorrow goes. The original rumour as I recall was about him having his medical on Friday.

• Advertisement

I'd rather not, Higuain for £30 million would be better then him for £50 million. That said, if we signed a couple of defenisive rocks and played 4-2-4 with Suarez up there then I'd be surprised if it didn't work.
    bad2dabone wrote: »
    He might be a lunatic racist.

But he'd be OUR lunatic racist.
    I'm sure Walcott would put manners on him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its not that I would not like Suarez at the club but I think the price tag Liverpool have put on him is delusional. Why sell our best player and the best forward in the PL for 22 million only a year later to splash out 40+ million on a player who cant play the first 6 games of the season and although a decent player not as good as VP is.... makes no sense. They would have been better off spending 40 million last year or the year before in getting decent players in to support Cesc and VP so we can win something.

I still think the main target is Higuain, Arsenal are just trying to force a move so all the other cards come into play.

jank wrote: »
    I still think the main target is Higuain, Arsenal are just trying to force a move so all the other cards come into play.

Hmmm, if you're right about that then I think you should start a Twitter account.

jank wrote: »

today main headlines: uncofirmed reforts suggest that the RMS Titanic is believed to have sunk and in association football Gonzalo Higuain has completed a move to Napoli

Hmmm, if you're right about that then I think you should start a Twitter account.

if it happens his credibility will be plus infinity

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement