Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

davycc wrote: »
    Well it would appear ironic considering you couldnt even beat little Napoili for Higuain;) We pulled out, didn't loose out ;)
    Or Liverpool for bite-merchant Suarez:D We stopped bidding didn't loose out to another club.
    Or Gustavo went to relegation fodder Wolfsburg etc;). That one yeh that was a strange one

I can see the bids for Draxler Ozil & the other RM lads etc all going the same way.

Sanogo & Flamini so far but have faith as Gallas & Bentley are both currently free agents knocking around london with time on their hands & would add some much needed depth,steel & in Gallas case Leadership:cool: What a load of bollocks just because you took our casts off don't mean well take them back.

but getting back to your original point#;Not a single top club was in for a single one of their purchases.

Well in Eriksens case at least Dortmund & AC Milan ,megarich russian oil/mafia & Cryuff himself said about Eriksens transfer to Spurs that its he understands its not all about the money of other clubs bigger bids ,its about him joining the right club for his progression;) & Im assuming Cryuff knows even more about it than us mere mortals here on Boards:D

In Capoues: Rumored only Cardiff offically bid

Cahdli Rumored and neither would I count as a big club.

Lamela: it was Arsenal, Napoli Once again rumored very little to back that up.

Vlad Chiriches: Chelski, & Man City after him.a clone of Verts but right footed:cool: Once again only rumours no offical bids etc.

Soldado : Chelsea , Arsenal, Liverpool. Rumoured no way Arsenal or Chelsea were in for him, plus right now Spurs are a bigger draw than liverpool

Paulinho : Inter Milan, Chelsea. More rumours

Willian :the one that thankfully got away nothing but a merc/whore but sure he has same bloodsucking agent as Tevez so a bullet dodged IMHO.
    All about the $$$$ looking at his previous transfers... So the one transfer were another club a bigger club swooped in suprsie suprise they actualy chose Chelsea but of coarse he is a whore who only wants money :pac::pac:.

Not to say Spurs havent signed well but that post was bollocks ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I'm sorry Davy but your post was completely inconsistent and unsupported.

I don't think I even read to many reports on Goal.com or any other useless website about Arsenal being linked to Soldado, let alone a genuine rumour. I assume that you read the odd article and now consider it fact that they were in for Soldado?

Also, Wolfsburg aren't relegation fodder. They have set aside some early worries so far this season and I'd like to see if you will come back in and admit being wrong about that one, seeing as every other one of your points are completely without proof; hence why you can not be taken seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

cathalio11 wrote: »
    I'm sorry Davy but your post was completely inconsistent and unsupported.

I don't think I even read to many reports on Goal.com or any other useless website about Arsenal being linked to Soldado, let alone a genuine rumour. I assume that you read the odd article and now consider it fact that they were in for Soldado?

Also, Wolfsburg aren't relegation fodder. They have set aside some early worries so far this season and I'd like to see if you will come back in and admit being wrong about that one, seeing as every other one of your points are completely without proof; hence why you can not be taken seriously.

To be honest, the point is moot anyway. There wasn't much competition for Spurs' signings this summer but that tends to be the same for us. Any time a player we want is being courted by different clubs, we tend to back out or bid less than the club he eventually ends up at. I don't remember hearing about any other clubs after Podolski or Cazorla before we brought them in. Honestly the last time I can recall us bringing in a player lots of sides in Europe wanted was back in 2009 with Arshavin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I know we've had disappointments this transfer window, but at least our biggest signing of the summer didn't trot down the road to Chelsea after having his fee, personal terms and medical all wrapped up. Also, it was nice of Spurs to pay his flights and accommodation for the trip.

That's the only transfer ye have had competition with and ye ended up being taught a lesson.

Anyway. Buzzing for the derby, I'm really liking our chances here despite our lack of bodies. Getting through this without adding to our casualty list is vital. On top of that, we all know the transfer window only starts for us after the derby. Players want to make sure we have the derby win secured ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

The day has finally arrived

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

This game could go any way today. I'm baffled as to what team we're gonna put out nevermind you guys.

Its a crazy one. Wenger can't possibly set up a team to counter ours given that nobody can really know what team spurs will put out. Presumably so he just sets his own team out to win rather than a game of chess. It might be (hard to believe) the most entertaining darby in years.

Someones gonna win it though. I can't see a draw . Easy to say tis to cover all bases, but either we'll hammer ye or you'll nick it 1-0. I don't see an even Stevens 3 all today.

Looking forward to it now. Enjoy the game lads. Just hope we've got the bragging rights come this evening.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    This game could go any way today. I'm baffled as to what team we're gonna put out nevermind you guys.

Its a crazy one. Wenger can't possibly set up a team to counter ours given that nobody can really know what team spurs will put out. Presumably so he just sets his own team out to win rather than a game of chess. It might be (hard to believe) the most entertaining darby in years.

Someones gonna win it though. I can't see a draw . Easy to say tis to cover all bases, but either we'll hammer ye or you'll nick it 1-0. I don't see an even Stevens 3 all today.

Looking forward to it now. Enjoy the game lads. Just hope we've got the bragging rights come this evening.

Considering we only have 11 players our team kinda picks itself :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭cathalio11

I hate to reply so childishly to such a diplomatic post but...

I think we're going to either hammer you (again) or Spurs nick the luckiest, and I mean luckiest, of 2-1 wins :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

but either we'll hammer ye or you'll nick it 1-0.
    Seeing as you have won your first two games with resounding 1 nil wins thanks to penalties?

I'm not sure where you're getting the confidence that you'll hammer Arsenal.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Confident of a win today. Our team is settled and playing some free spirited stuff the last few games whereas Sp*rs are bedding in a new team and haven't got their fluidity going yet.

2-0 I am going for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It will be interesting to see how all these new Spurs signings react to the intensity that's the NLD. If they rise to the occasion then Spurs might get a result. It also depends on our central midfield pairing keeping defensive discipline.

I have butterflies in my stomach already!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't call it at all. Spurs have looked pretty poor so far but who's to say this wont be the day they gel.

I think we'll win but it won't be a drubbing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Is transfer talk banned today?

Di Maria starting for Madrid today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Is Vivano any good? seems like he is on his way for a medical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

im quietly confident for today. Its very strange. Im more confident today of winning then I was last year or the year before.

Gianluca Di Marzio (very reliable Sky Sport Italia journalist, 244k Twitter followers) says Palermo keeper Emiliano Viviano is having a medical with us today. Loan deal, option to buy. Sounds like he'll be a backup goalkeeper for us if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

jonny666 wrote: »
    im quietly confident for today. Its very strange. Im more confident today of winning then I was last year or the year before.

Better team. We actually play like a team now with high pressing and starting counters quicker and quicker. Great to see.

Only from 2-7 jack, work away :):)

Raf32 wrote: »
    Is Vivano any good? seems like he is on his way for a medical

loan with option to buy, 6'5 serie B goalkeeper.
    Arsene...:pac:

Looks familar....lol
    th?id=H.4915681366639514&pid=15.1

Raf32 wrote: »
    loan with option to buy, 6'5 serie B goalkeeper.
    Arsene...:pac:

Looks familar....lol
    th?id=H.4915681366639514&pid=15.1

Sounds like another 'make do' signing as I imagine he'll be our sub-keeper. Should've just bought Begovic but I suppose that would involve money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

3-2 i reckon to us :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Benzema starting too and Ozil on the bench. No chance we'll get Benzema anyway as they'd have started making eyes at Suarez by now i think if they were willing to let him go.

Wouldn't worry about Di Maria starting to be honest, since Bale hasn't gone through it makes sense that they would play him.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Benzema starting too and Ozil on the bench. No chance we'll get Benzema anyway as they'd have started making eyes at Suarez by now i think if they were willing to let him go.

Wouldn't worry about Di Maria starting to be honest, since Bale hasn't gone through it makes sense that they would play him.

If we win today: we get Montero.

If we lose today: we try extra hard to get Di Maria/Draxler, but probably get Montero.

Draxler has spoken. Ball is in our court.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2013/09/01/4228713/draxler-if-schalke-want-to-sell-me-ill-leave

"I don't mind people speculating, I'll let them have their fun," he said. "If nothing extraordinary happens, I will be here on Monday.

"But Schalke could change their mind and say 'Well, 40 or 30 million euros is not so bad,' and then I can't do much about it."

"If the club absolutely wants to sell me, I will not say 'No, I want to stay.'"

If we win today: we get Montero.

If we lose today: we try extra hard to get Di Maria/Draxler, but probably get Montero.

Genuinely don't think the result will be a factor in who we bring in. But for Levy stalling we'd probably have signed one of them before now.

Is any one else worried about spending 40 million on Draxler? I know I shouldn't give a toss about money but 40million seems excessive.

Is any one else worried about spending 40 million on Draxler? I know I shouldn't give a toss about money but 40million seems excessive.

Ah, it's not our money and we're owed a treat :D I've been watching him for years in the Bundesliga; he could be one of the world's best players in the next few seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Anyone know if they have skysports at reus airport near barcelona or nearby

Yes and no. On one hand he's much too young to fetch that kind of price imo, on the other he must be pretty special if Wenger is willing to spend that much on him. Woulld want us to be bring in one of Di Maria or Ozil along with him though.

At the end of the day it's not my money so feck it, he can only improve the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I might have cared back in June.

Now we've more money than we can spend this window and will make loads more before the next window.

If it can be argued that a player will improve the FIRST team, then at this stage I really don't care about value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Gianluca Di Marzio (very reliable Sky Sport Italia journalist, 244k Twitter followers) says Palermo keeper Emiliano Viviano is having a medical with us today. Loan deal, option to buy. Sounds like he'll be a backup goalkeeper for us if true.

Another cheap keeper that no one has heard off ffs...........same s**t different season!!!!!:mad::rolleyes:

Sergio wrote: »
    Another cheap keeper that no one has heard off ffs...........same s**t different season!!!!!:mad::rolleyes:

3 average goalies is better than 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

James Horncastle ‏@JamesHorncastle 45m
    But as I said, took a step back, I feel, in last couple of seasons. Still think he'd push Szcz hard if he rediscovers his form
    Expand
    James Horncastle ‏@JamesHorncastle 46m
    Part of the new wave of Italian GKs along with Sirigu: Understudies to Buffon. Took it in turns to stand in for him for ITA post-WC 2010
    Expand
    James Horncastle ‏@JamesHorncastle 48m
    Though I feel Fiorentina might regret that. Neto doesn't seem any better than Viviano + should he return to 09-11 level he's a decent GK
    Expand
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
    James Horncastle ‏@JamesHorncastle 49m
    Loaned by Palermo to Fiorentina, the hometown club he supports last season. Potential to be a leader. Yet Montella wasn't convinced.
    Expand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

We need another striker as well. I just can't see us making that many signings tomorrow sadly. Going into Monday with a win over Spures and making two or three top signings should be nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,118 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Personally I believe Szczesny is our current and future #1 so I really don't care if we buy in a new keeper. What I want to see personally is some back up/long term replacement for Arteta, a decent and solid centre back, and someone to challenge, Giroud which gives us a second attacking option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Sergio wrote: »

Just because you've not heard of him doesn't mean no-one else has; looks like he's a replacement for Mannone and as 3rd/4th choice Italian keeper that's a definite upgrade

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yes and no. On one hand he's much too young to fetch that kind of price imo, on the other he must be pretty special if Wenger is willing to spend that much on him. Woulld want us to be bring in one of Di Maria or Ozil along with him though.

At the end of the day it's not my money so feck it, he can only improve the team.

My worry is that it won't be a Wenger signing. In the sense that even though Wenger wants him he wouldn't pay 40 million for him and that Ivan is panicking because we are running out of time and players and Ivan is goina pay whatever it takes to keep the fans happy.

If we do really splash the cash I can't see us doing it every year and if we mess it up this year we could suffer for a good few years

Ah, it's not our money and we're owed a treat :D I've been watching him for years in the Bundesliga; he could be one of the world's best players in the next few seasons.

Really hope you're right :)

greendom wrote: »
    Just because you've not heard of him doesn't mean no-one else has; looks like he's a replacement for Mannone and as 3rd/4th choice Italian keeper that's a definite upgrade

From what I've read from a few Serie A-focused tweeters like Dylan Fahy and Adam Digby, Sorrentino is actually the better Palermo keeper. 2/3 of our signings coming from European second divisions (Ligue 2, Serie B) should not be our standard.

I'm fine with Viviano though because GK isn't a pressing need of ours (though we should've just bought Begovic) but we need a lot more than 'make do' signings such as him and Flamini.

I'm pretty worried no one on here think's we need a top striker with pace, it's clear we need one as well as Giroud is doing well but we need that player that can get a goal out of nothing. It's scary cause it's looking like we are buying the usual free signings. We need a LW, CB, top class striker I just can't see Wenger splashing the cash that is needed. It's like what Robbie Flower said it's like it's Wenger own cash and he's hating to spend it.

• Advertisement

From what I've read from a few Serie A-focused tweeters like Dylan Fahy and Adam Digby, Sorrentino is actually the better Palermo keeper. 2/3 of our signings coming from European second divisions (Ligue 2, Serie B) should not be our standard.

I'm fine with Viviano though because GK isn't a pressing need of ours (though we should've just bought Begovic) but we need a lot more than 'make do' signings such as him and Flamini.

In fairness he was on loan with Fiorentina last year so hardly a second tier player and the amount of people calling for Cesar here including myself, who by definition so is also a second tier goalkeeper. Would rather have had Guaita, watched him a lot, going to be a top goalkeeper.

I wouldn't like to be Wenger if we get beat well today and he doesn't buy those top players tomorrow. It's going to be crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Quazzie wrote: »
    What I want to see personally is some back up/long term replacement for Arteta, a decent and solid centre back, and someone to challenge, Giroud which gives us a second attacking option.

Isn't Flamini the back up option now for Arteta, I agree with you on the striker. I thought Higuain was going to be our man until Arsene went on his failed Suarez lovefest but I really don't see who they can get at this short notice. I definitely don't believe it will be Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭dvemail

Big thing for me is that if we do actually buy Draxler for the 40m reported and it works out, Wenger may start to loosen the purse a bit more in the future. But if it doesn't, we can be sure to never see another signing over 20m as long as he is in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭meriwether

davycc wrote: »
    Well it would appear ironic considering you couldnt even beat little Napoili for Higuain;)
    Or Liverpool for bite-merchant Suarez:D
    Or Gustavo went to relegation fodder Wolfsburg etc;).

I can see the bids for Draxler Ozil & the other RM lads etc all going the same way.

Sanogo & Flamini so far but have faith as Gallas & Bentley are both currently free agents knocking around london with time on their hands & would add some much needed depth,steel & in Gallas case Leadership:cool:

but getting back to your original point#;Not a single top club was in for a single one of their purchases.

Well in Eriksens case at least Dortmund & AC Milan ,megarich russian oil/mafia & Cryuff himself said about Eriksens transfer to Spurs that its he understands its not all about the money of other clubs bigger bids ,its about him joining the right club for his progression;) & Im assuming Cryuff knows even more about it than us mere mortals here on Boards:D

In Capoues: Arsenal ,Cardiff:D, liverpool & even Barca all rumoured.

Cahdl:i it was Shaktar Donesk & liverpool

Lamela: it was Arsenal, Napoli

Vlad Chiriches: Chelski, & Man City after him.a clone of Verts but right footed:cool:

Soldado : Chelsea , Arsenal, Liverpool.

Paulinho : Inter Milan, Chelsea.

Willian :the one that thankfully got away nothing but a merc/whore but sure he has same bloodsucking agent as Tevez so a bullet dodged IMHO.
    All about the $$$$ looking at his previous transfers...

Did you essentially make all that up?

Arsenal were in for Lamela? How much did they bid?

Arsenal were in for Soldado? How much did they bid?

Arsenal were in for Capoue? How much did they bid?

Looper007 wrote: »
    I'm pretty worried no one on here think's we need a top striker with pace, it's clear we need one as well as Giroud is doing well but we need that player that can get a goal out of nothing. It's scary cause it's looking like we are buying the usual free signings. We need a LW, CB, top class striker I just can't see Wenger splashing the cash that is needed. It's like what Robbie Flower said it's like it's Wenger own cash and he's hating to spend it.

Benzema seems to be the only one we're being linked with at the moment and I doubt he's going anywhere. The only other ones on the market are Suarez (not a hope) and Rooney really, really can't see us going in for either of those tomorrow.

I think that's why they've shifted focus to the likes of Ozil, Di Maria, Mata Kaka and Draxler. At the end of the day, if we signed a few of those players I don't think we'll need a top striker. Chelsea arguably don't have a top striker in their squad yet are still considered title contenders, Lukaku is their best one at the moment imo (bar a Torres renaiissance) but they're not giving him games and I'd put him on a par with Giroud at most.

Even if we did sign the above though I agree we do need another striker in the squad to give us depth at least as well as a different option to Giroud, especially with Podolski injured. Our only other options are Walcott and Sanogo at the moment. No question we need to strengthen the position but provided we make a few of the big signings we're linked with I don't think top top quality is a priority, ideally I'd love to have the likes of Benzema/Suarez/Rooney up front with Giroud as our second option though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

We were in for Viviano last year, and the year previous if memory serves me right. I think he turned us down last year, guaranteed first team football and was making the bench for the Italy squad for a few games.

He's a good keeper, would be along the lines of Muslera, top young talent but needs to balance out the attributes. Can make astonishing saves, and then feck up with positioning or a rebound from a save. But to be fair, nearly all Italian keepers are solid in the basics of keeping. Great shot stoppers, and good thinkers.

Arseblog - 2012

Regarding Kaka, I don't think he'll make a great signing. If we get him on loan then so be it. He may be looking at next year's world cup, but he's 31, an attacking midfielder and looking to start in the PL? Don't think so, but again a good acquisition if he's on loan. He played some nice football for the games he got last year with Real. He keeps the head down and will provide an attacking influence - he doesn't drive into the box, usually hangs outside for a rebound of backwards pass. But, I haven't seen enough of him in the last 2 years to give a judgement.

Haven't seen much of Montero, anyone provide an insight into himself? I was watching the Schalke match last night, only saw that KPB is now playing with them. He would've made a tasty purchase for ourselves. Fully matured at AC and provided some great goals, etc.

Today's game; if we screw up our counter attack and don't hold well defensively, Spurs will profit from it. Their last two games they kept on running into overlapping defences but still had some really good chances. Chadli was good last week for them. Soldado I wouldn't be too worried about, it's the wingers! Once we can control them we'll be okay I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Today is a good day for the Flamster to be anointed! Welcome back sir :)

flamini2.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

On the way to the game now. Screw Spuds and the transfers for a few hours and lets supports the squad thats there!!!

COYG!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

From what I've read from a few Serie A-focused tweeters like Dylan Fahy and Adam Digby, Sorrentino is actually the better Palermo keeper.

Have seen Sorrentino in action- I am from Greece and an AEK Athens fan and he played for us a few years ago.
    Great reflexes. He seemed to have potential. Not sure how he progressed, haven't been following him, I would have him in as a 2nd/3rd option.

Not that I think a keeper is on top of our priorities list. . .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement