Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Any move for Bernard is linked with the Suarez transfer imo. You'd be looking at 50m for Suarez and 18m for Bernard were they to happen so I'd guess that they won't be signing Bernard if Suarez is a go. Likewise if Suarez isn't happening they'd probably step up interest in Bernard or an equivalent. Signing both would leave far too little left in the budget (from my understanding) to bulk up the squad at cb and possibly cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Imagine him playing with world class players around him.

Funnily enough he doesn't shine as much for Spain as he does for Arsenal.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

AdamD wrote: »
    Any move for Bernard is linked with the Suarez transfer imo. You'd be looking at 50m for Suarez and 18m for Bernard were they to happen so I'd guess that they won't be signing Bernard if Suarez is a go. Likewise if Suarez isn't happening they'd probably step up interest in Bernard or an equivalent. Signing both would leave far too little left in the budget (from my understanding) to bulk up the squad at cb and possibly cm.

Surely we can afford both plus a back-up CB and half decent cover for DM. I know the "war chest" is supposedly 70m, but they could spend doubly that on players and still not be out of pocket imo.

If they blow the 70m on Bernard and Suarez it would only take another 25m or so to sign a 4th choice CB and cover for Arteta.

The club are filthy stinking rich, it's time they flaunted it a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Wenger won't sign a CB I don't think, seems to see Sagna as the back up there. A DM, Bernard and Suarez would be doable but I won't believe it until I see it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

TheGunns wrote: »
    Wenger won't sign a CB I don't think, seems to see Sagna as the back up there. A DM, Bernard and Suarez would be doable but I won't believe it until I see it

Have a look at this about a DM http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/why-arsenal-may-not-pursue-midfield-destroyer-135050456.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Sounds like Bernard to Porto is done. Not happy that we're losing out to players who are moving to Napoli and Porto; they should be gettable for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭TheGunns

Sounds like Bernard to Porto is done. Not happy that we're losing out to players who are moving to Napoli and Porto; they should be gettable for us.

It's World Cup year, players want to shine and not lose their place. Rumors of Bernard to Porto were there long before we were linked too, wouldn't be surprised if we were never in for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,428 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I am still of the opinion that all this talk of buying BIG is a complete con job.
    I could be wrong but so far I see nothing to make me change my mind.

I am still of the opinion that all this talk of buying BIG is a complete con job.

I think we want to but we're just awful in the transfer market. I genuinely do no expect any newcomers for first day of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

what would you consider the £40mil offer for suarez & the £20mil bid for bender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

I'm getting a bit depressed lads - this was the summer we should have got the business done and take advantage of being the only "settled" club in the top 4 with the managerial changes going on ... but OH NO! No, let's leave it till the last day ... or not at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I think we want to but we're just awful in the transfer market. I genuinely do no expect any newcomers for first day of the season.

There definitely will be players coming in. Even just due to the fact we've gotten rid of so many players, something like 25 so far.

batistuta9 wrote: »

How much did we bid for Higuain and Bernard?

Both are meaningless bids. Even if they were genuine, they were never going to be accepted. If Wenger buys no-one, he'll use the exact argument you just used in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

same sh!t different year really.

title challengers with the same squad as last year? don't think so. actually if the likes of gervinho moves to roma itll be slightly weaker - miyaichi will likely take his place

How much did we bid for Higuain and Bernard?

nothing probably, the same amount the club bid for every player they're not going to sign or attempt to sign

maybe the will/are trying to sign Bernard idk

EDIT: and what do you consider the other two actual bids that have been made, not just rumours?

Both are meaningless bids. Even if they were genuine, they were never going to be accepted. If Wenger buys no-one, he'll use the exact argument you just used in September.

i know where you're coming from but you can't really believe thats what they're doing

i know where you're coming from but you can't really believe thats what they're doing

I have to believe they're doing something more but their strategy is bizarre and we're letting top quality players pair off to clubs without putting up any fight, all while we seemingly have all our eggs in the Suarez basket. Imagine if two months ago someone told you that coming into August we had spent £0 and according to Wenger are "nowhere near anyone", then think of what your reaction would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Who actually said we were ever in for him? Was it some fan somewhere said that he would be a good player for us and it took off, or was there a reliable source in anyway associated with this story?

nothing probably, the same amount the club bid for every player they're not going to sign or attempt to sign

maybe the will/are trying to sign Bernard idk

EDIT: and what do you consider the other two actual bids that have been made, not just rumours?

I know he made bids but I am beginning to think that it is a scam as neither bids will buy the players.
    I am waiting for the spanner in the works on the Suarez effort to be honest.
    I found the following statement from Wenger very interesting, particularly the bit in bold -

We are ready to do quick deals but all the transfers do not depend only on us, but we are prepared to wait. It looks unlikely before the Emirates Cup. We still have a strong squad but we are there on the market to try to strengthen our team. With or without additions we can be title challengers next season.

• Advertisement

farna_boy wrote: »
    Who actually said we were ever in for him? Was it some fan somewhere said that he would be a good player for us and it took off, or was there a reliable source in anyway associated with this story?

O Jogo said we had a €16m bid immediately turned down. His club confirmed that an English team made a bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Considering Martinez went for £35m to Bayern then £20m for Bender is not even remotely enough, especially considering the lack of established defensive midfielders in circulation.

The Mirror claims our next bid will be £42.5m. Wenger is not serious. http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/transfers-luis-suarez-joins-arsenal-2096789

farna_boy wrote: »

i posted a link in the other thread from some Brazilian site about, that's where i seen it first, well it was mentioned on some site and i checked the Brazilian one

the story of a medical on Friday & the waiting until the tours over came from l'equipe

now its in portugese papers

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Source? Just had a glance at the usual reliable South American/footy journos and no one has said anything since the Copa Libertadores Final really. Despite what some English media claim, Porto are favourites for to sign Bernard for me though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

AdamD wrote: »

Wenger has been hinting at Sagna being 4th choice CB. Dont be expecting anything there. CB is way down the list of priorities.
    I have to believe they're doing something more but their strategy is bizarre and we're letting top quality players pair off to clubs without putting up any fight, all while we seemingly have all our eggs in the Suarez basket. Imagine if two months ago someone told you that coming into August we had spent £0 and according to Wenger are "nowhere near anyone", then think of what your reaction would be.

We've already spent £500,000.
    The Mirror claims our next bid will be £42.5m. Wenger is not serious. http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/transfers-luis-suarez-joins-arsenal-2096789

Never thought I'd see the day when Arsenal fans say a bid of £42.5m isnt serious. Deluded.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Source? Just had a glance at the usual reliable South American/footy journos and no one has said anything since the Copa Libertadores Final really. Despite what some English media claim, Porto are favourites for to sign Bernard for me though.

A few from @Zizouology tonight:

@Zizouology: BREAKING: Adriano Spadoto [Bernard's agent]: "Bernard will be signing for Porto or Shakhtar. There's a huge possibility."

@Zizouology: BREAKING: Adriano Spadoto [Bernard's agent]: "I think Bernard is signing for Porto, let's wait until Monday or Tuesday for concrete details"

@Zizouology: Bernard's move to Porto will be official in the coming days. Porto took advantage of their connections with BMG to close the deal [O Tempo]

Agent quotes from here: http://www.maisfutebol.iol.pt/fcporto/bernard-fc-porto-atletico-mineiro-empresario-proposta-shakhtar/1474499-1304.html

I know he made bids but I am beginning to think that it is a scam as neither bids will buy the players.
    I am waiting for the spanner in the works on the Suarez effort to be honest.
    I found the following statement from Wenger very interesting, particularly the bit in bold -

We are ready to do quick deals but all the transfers do not depend only on us, but we are prepared to wait. It looks unlikely before the Emirates Cup. We still have a strong squad but we are there on the market to try to strengthen our team. With or without additions we can be title challengers next season.

I don't buy the scam stuff, it's, well its a bit nuts

the bit in bold?
    well he's hardly going to concede the title before the season even starts now is he and bigging up your players publicly isn't that mad or telling either, every manager likes to show they've faith in their players and they probably like hearing it too

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Wenger has been hinting at Sagna being 4th choice CB. Dont be expecting anything there. CB is way down the list of priorities.

We've already spent £500,000.

Never thought I'd see the day when Arsenal fans say a bid of £42.5m isnt serious. Deluded.

Anyone who thinks we will sign Suarez with these bids is deluded. Do you think they will accept £42.5m after very publicly baulking at £40m? Of course not. I'm happy to see we're making big money offers but these offers will not be accepted and thus, are meaningless and a waste of the club's time.

EDIT: Apologies, we've spent £500,000. Whoop-dee-doo.

• Advertisement

I don't buy the scam stuff, it's, well its a bit nuts

the bit in bold?
    well he's hardly going to concede the title before the season even starts now is he and bigging up your players publicly isn't that mad or telling either, every manager likes to show they've faith in their players and they probably like hearing it too

That is not my point at all.

I know we have a good panel BUT title contenders if even weaker than last year? Don't think so and the players probably don't think so either. Haven't several already called for the panel to be strengthened too?

We all know that if a serious offer is made from a European club it is likely to be snapped up by Liverpool. Our only chance of acquiring him is if/when Liverpool decide he is too disruptive and/or that 40 million plus is too much money to have wasting on the sidelines. So we are not really in competition with anyone else for him and of course it is a serious bid.

greendom wrote: »
    We all know that if a serious offer is made from a European club it is likely to be snapped up by Liverpool. Our only chance of acquiring him is if/when Liverpool decide he is too disruptive and/or that 40 million plus is too much money to have wasting on the sidelines. So we are not really in competition with anyone else for him and of course it is a serious bid.

I and many people know that it has not a chance of being accepted.
    So why continue to make silly bids if we know they will not be accepted? What's the point?

I and many people know that it has not a chance of being accepted.
    So why continue to make silly bids if we know they will not be accepted? What's the point?
    In the hope that Liverpool decide that they are better of with re-investing the money we are offering into their squad rather than holding onto a liability.

That is not my point at all.

I know we have a good panel BUT title contenders if even weaker than last year? Don't think so and the players probably don't think so either. Haven't several already called for the panel to be strengthened too?

how are they weaker?

saying the club is weaker because of the lot who left is akin to saying its weaker because gunnersaurus is out for 6 weeks after breaking his arm attempting to have a ****

yeah they have, they know as well as everybody there's money there and know that the better the squad/players the better you're likely to do

In the hope that Liverpool decide that they are better of with re-investing the money we are offering into their squad rather than holding onto a liability.

If that's the case then I feel sorry for us.
    I wonder did Ferguson take that line with RVP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Anyone who thinks we will sign Suarez with these bids is deluded. Do you think they will accept £42.5m after very publicly baulking at £40m? Of course not. I'm happy to see we're making big money offers but these offers will not be accepted and thus, are meaningless and a waste of the club's time.

I think once it gets close to £50m, they'll accept. Nobody in their right mind would show up, ask how much they want, and write a cheque for that amount. Not how it works in reality. You start low and work up until both sides come to an agreement.

If nobody else comes in, I think Rodgers will be willing to take £45m as he needs time to reinvest it. No point in him waiting until the last day to accept a £50m+ offer if he cant spend it.

how are they weaker?

saying the club is weaker because of the lot who left is akin to saying its weaker because gunnersaurus is out for 6 weeks after breaking his arm attempting to have a ****

yeah they have, they know as well as everybody there's money there and know that the better the squad/players the better you're likely to do

We were not good enough in the last number of years to challenge for the title and we are not good enough now. The table doesn't lie.

If that's the case then I feel sorry for us.
    I wonder did Ferguson take that line with RVP.

It's a different situation as RVP only had a year to run on his contract and that put Fergie in a much stronger position. I don't understand why that would make you feel sorry for us ?

It's a different situation as RVP only had a year to run on his contract and that put Fergie in a much stronger position. I don't understand why that would make you feel sorry for us ?

It's the miserly way we work that makes me so.
    How many good players have we missed because we were miserly?

We were not good enough in the last number of years to challenge for the title and we are not good enough now. The table doesn't lie.

so you want wenger to publicly admit that

"Hey, lads you're shít, you'll win me nothing, you're not good enough"

• Advertisement

so you want wenger to publicly admit that

"Hey, lads you're shít, you'll win me nothing, you're not good enough"

If the lads are begging for to have the squad strengthened then they probably know it already.
    I don't think any of them are "****" either which is very unfair to suggest. All are good players but we need the special ingredients that we are being denied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I like the way we've decided to start telling journalists that we're going to put in another offer and exactly how much it's for before actually bidding.

Hmmmm, wait a minute.

I think we have about a week until Real give up on Bale and move for Suarez. We need to bid at least £45m + add-ons or just duck out while the only other remaining top class strikers, Soldado and Martinez, haven't yet moved to Spurs and Napoli respectively. We will be an absolute laughingstock if Real buy Suarez with the majority of the Higuain money. Should've just paid for Higuain and moved onto strengthening the other areas weeks ago.

Careful now, apparently that talk means you need a tinfoil hat.

I just can't imagine going from zero to not paying £25 million for Higuain to knowing we'll have to pay £50 million for Suarez, there's not much logic in that.

I just can't imagine going from zero to not paying £25 million for Higuain to knowing we'll have to pay £50 million for Suarez, there's not much logic in that.

higuain was sold for €40mil = £34.5mil, they mustn't have wanted to do that

they want suarez and didn't want higuain, that's perfect logic. why should they buy what they don't want?

they want suarez and didn't want higuain, that's perfect logic. why should they buy what they don't want?

Well, we did want Higuain and we even agreed terms with him. It seems pretty likely that we'll end up with the nightmare scenario of neither.

Well, we did want Higuain and we even agreed terms with him. It seems pretty likely that we'll end up with the nightmare scenario of neither.

did they sign him? no, so they didn't want him that much after all then did they

they wanted him at, probably the amounts that were mentioned in the press, low to mid 20's

they weren't prepared to go another 10mil on him, something they're happy to do with suarez

the money was there for higuain to be bought as seen by the last bid for suarez

if they really wanted him they would've signed him - simple

I don't get why Higuain would be seen as too expensive at that price while Suarez wouldn't at that other price.

I don't get why Higuain would be seen as too expensive at that price while Suarez wouldn't at that other price.

by who people in here or Wenger?

personally i'd rather paying over value on saurez rather than higuain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

They're not the same player. That's where the logic is.

You and I see 'generic South American striker'. Those involved in football at the highest level would see much more.

Very interesting point in the guardian yesterday which basically said Higuain could only play in the CF position which means benching him or Giroud always whereas Suarez could play instead of him or with him. That's quite a difference and who knows what other ones there are?

We just all wanted Higuain because then it'd be over, we 'd have our star striker and we could stop reading this thread.

In reality though there's s lot about Higuain we don't know because despite what we like to think we're a fairly ignorant bunch when it comes to the nuances of particular players.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement