Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

I'm in shock.
    This Ozil deal is for real.

I think i might cry or scream or do something.

No F*cking work getting done for a WEEK after this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭KINGVictor

Still not letting myself get excited.

I can fully understand that.

Meanwhile Telegraph's Jeremy Wilson reckons we could make a late bid for Suarez today

Arsenal have agreed a club transfer fee of £42 million for Real Madrid and Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil. Club officials are now in Germany, where Ozil is with the national team, in an attempt to finalise personal terms and complete a medical. Ozil has had some doubts about the move but Arsenal are confident that the deal will be completed today. They are offering him a deal to become the club’s highest paid player, with wages of around £150,000-a-week being proposed. Theo Walcott is currently the highest paid player on £105,000-a-week. The club’s previous transfer record was the £15 million spent on Andrei Arshavin.
    Arsenal also have a deal in place for Palermo and Italy goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano. He is seen as backup to Wojciech Szczesny rather than a new number one. The confidence over Ozil means that interest in Real Madrid’s Angel di Maria has subsided. Arsenal are also chasing one other deal, thought to be a striker. Abel Hernandez and Demba Ba have been under consideration. They were also thinking about final bids for Luis Suarez, Karim Benzema or Wayne Rooney but know that they would be difficult deals to complete. Benzema wants to stay at Madrid. Liverpool and Man U have made it clear they do not want to sell Suarez or Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

So Wenger has:

1. Turned the club around after the end of Georgie G's spell and the disaster of Bruce Rioch.

2. Won lots of stuff.

3. Given Gooner fans unforgettable moments. Actually given football fans magical moments. 3-0 up, Keown chips it forward, Adams rampages on to it, "would you believe it?!!!!!".

4. Overseen the move to a fantastic new stadium and managed the finances.

5. Overseen a lean spell of no silverware.

6. Signed Mesut Ozil.

7. Mesut

8. Ozil

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Where have we signed Ozil?

Come on dont be daft that wenger is capable of signing such a world class player.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

cracking signing lads

happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Alot of reporters are scrambling to confirm it, its probably not completely done but very close. I still maintain that Cross doesn't have a clue.

*Breathes slowly in and out of paper bag

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Agueroooo wrote: »
    cracking signing lads

happy?

Loki.gif

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bild saying the medical is happening right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Any chance of an auld sneaky Centre Back?

Not trying to be a party-pooper but.....

As amazing a player Ozil is, i feel you guys still need someone in the Paddy Vieria mode. Flamini is a quality signing, was superb yesterday. But he doesn't have age or fitness on his side. Hell, even a Manu Petite version 2 type would do.

It's not realistic to keep expecting Wilshere and Flamini to do all the ball-winning. Without that type of player, it's putting too much pressure on Per and Laurent at the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

As amazing a player Ozil is, i feel you guys still need someone in the Paddy Vieria mode. Flamini is a quality signing, was superb yesterday. But he doesn't have age or fitness on his side. Hell, even a Manu Petite version 2 type would do.

It's not realistic to keep expecting Wilshere and Flamini to do all the ball-winning. Without that type of player, it's putting too much pressure on Per and Laurent at the back.

We did just fine with Arteta in that role last season. With Flamini showing he is still more than capable of fulfilling it (in a slightly different way to MA) that need it is not so urgent.

umm we are not getting Ozil LOL.

stop dreaming lads it aint going to happen.

too good to be true.

Look what happened to Suarez and Higuin deal.

i believe it until i see it on arsenal.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Mezut Ozil, now that would be fooking amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Now this is the right sort of news to start a Monday :D

I'm not thinking it's done yet, but I'm very optimistic.

Update from Telegraph live updates:

Ozil won't have to worry about being the only new boy on the Arsenal block. Demba Ba is expected to be joining him any minute now.

Flamini is 29. Right at his peak. Couldn't have asked for a better age for him.

As for fitness, the lad will run until he drops. Fitness has never been a problem with him. If he can continue the way he has started, he will turn out to be a genius signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

hmm, Ba, if he's cheap he will do as backup to Giroud, wouldn't have him as a starter though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

Vieira was not a ball winner. Strong and combative yes, but he was always running upfield and never offering a lot of protection to the back four. That job was done by Petit/Gilberto.

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Update from Telegraph live updates:

Ozil won't have to worry about being the only new boy on the Arsenal block. Demba Ba is expected to be joining him any minute now.

If its not on arsenal.com i dont believe **** that comes from other sources
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Flamini is 29. Right at his peak. Couldn't have asked for a better age for him.

As for fitness, the lad will run until he drops. Fitness has never been a problem with him. If he can continue the way he has started, he will turn out to be a genius signing.
    i swear his younger then Arteta as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

I have tried to not get excited about Ozil until it's on Arsenal.com.....I have failed!

OMFG!!!! I can't actually believe it. Wenger you genius. :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Frisbee wrote: »
    Any chance of an auld sneaky Centre Back?

Have to say I was disappointed when I saw that Liverpool had snagged Sakho. Since we're "splashing the cash", we should give Hummels a try!

I know Nuri. No chance, right?

i swear his younger then Arteta as well?

Didn't even notice until now, but Arteta would have been the almost the exact same age when we signed him. He hasn't exactly faired too badly.

I think Flamini can be a big player for us again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Metro (I know I know) saying we're actually going to pay Bendtner 3m to go to Palace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭the untitled user

L'prof wrote: »
    Have to say I was disappointed when I saw that Liverpool had snagged Sakho. Since we're "splashing the cash", we should give Hummels a try!

I know Nuri. No chance, right?

At the moment we're probably better off not breaking the balance in the back four. With Kos and Per look the best partnership in the prem right now, we've TV to act as LCB cover and with Sagna showing he can do an admirable job covering for Per at RCB. And as Flamini is capable of offering cover for the FB positions, an extended run for Sagna in CB isn't the end of the world for us right now.

Long term we should be looking to get someone youngish in to replace Per,
    but if there's the chance we can push on in the Prem this year then maybe it'd be better to wait. Who knows, perhaps a signing like Hummels could be a realistic prospect in a year or two if the current team can really push on!

Was thinking here it must have been terribly frustrating for Wenger all summer.

He's clearly had Ozil lined up all summer. These things don't happen overnight. Weeks, maybe months, of work gone into this. With Real telling them "yes but you've to wait til we get Bale secured". And Wenger having to bite his tongue in the face of vitriolic pressure, for fear of scuppering the deal.

Goes to show that sometimes you need to trust a person!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

At the moment we're probably better off not breaking the balance in the back four. With Kos and Per look the best partnership in the prem right now, we've TV to act as LCB cover and with Sagna showing he can do an admirable job covering for Per at RCB. And as Flamini is capable of offering cover for the FB positions, an extended run for Sagna in CB isn't the end of the world for us right now.

Long term we should be looking to get someone youngish in to replace Per,
    but if there's the chance we can push on in the Prem this year then maybe it'd be better to wait. Who knows, perhaps a signing like Hummels could be a realistic prospect in a year or two if the current team can really push on!

Isaac Hayden?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

whats the story with miguel, how is he progressing. i always saw him as our longterm CB prospect

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

whats the story with miguel, how is he progressing. i always saw him as our longterm CB prospect

Gone out on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

He is awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Good feet but lacks pace and real aggression. I cant see him making it with us to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

He's gone to Leicester on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

BTJ0e-VCEAE4I1D.jpg

greendom wrote: »
    We did just fine with Arteta in that role last season.
    4th.

He's clearly had Ozil lined up all summer. These things don't happen overnight. Weeks, maybe months, of work gone into this. With Real telling them "yes but you've to wait til we get Bale secured". And Wenger having to bite his tongue in the face of vitriolic pressure, for fear of scuppering the deal.

If Ozil is the only signing he's been lining up then it's been a poor window.

What was said about him and poker ? ;)

danlen wrote: »
    BTJ0e-VCEAE4I1D.jpg

I was hoping he meant that Bendtner would be leaving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Some German chap on SSN saying Ozil didn't show up for the German team meeting as he was down the road doing our medical with the Bayern doctor.

Cheers Bayern I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Great signing for Arsenal feel like a little kid right now :). Add more signings to this and we be a force to be reckon with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Lets pretend we get Ozil, Ba and Di Maria. Lets also pretend everyone (bar Diaby) is fit.
    Starting 11:
    Scz
    Sagna, Mert, Kosc, Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Ozil
    Walcott, Giroud, Di Maria

With a bench of :
    Wilshere, Ba, Jenkinson, Vermalen, Flamini, Ox, Podolski, Monreal, Gonnaneedabiggerbench, Fabianski

Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

first picture of Ozil in an arsenal shirt!!!!!

BTJ6ZElIAAAj5Ys.jpg

bad2dabone wrote: »

BTJ6ZElIAAAj5Ys.jpg

Your fecking hilarious :D:D

• Advertisement

Lets pretend we get Ozil, Ba and Di Maria. Lets also pretend everyone (bar Diaby) is fit.
    Starting 11:
    Scz
    Sagna, Mert, Kosc, Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Ozil

With a bench of :
    Wilshere, Ba, Jenkinson, Vermalen, Flamini, Ox, Podolski, Monreal, Gonnaneedabiggerbench, Fabianski

Not bad.

Hate to say it but I'd be starting Cazorla ahead of Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Starting 11:
    Scz
    Sagna, Mert, Kosc, Gibbs
    Arteta Ramsey
    Ozil

With a bench of :

Not bad.

your forgetting santi and rosicky :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

BTJ6ZElIAAAj5Ys.jpg

Poor lad not blessed with the looks but he's a great player. He looks a bit like that Austalian Comic Chris Lilley.

Reunited, wonder how much influence Mertesacker had in the transfer

BTJ8Q5mCQAAJjof.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I've just realised Ozil's debut will be against us (Sunderland). Oh fuck.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

BTJ6ZElIAAAj5Ys.jpg

Haha, you have an undeniable talent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Raf32 wrote: »
    your forgetting santi and ramsey :D

I have ramsey. can't believe I completely forgot Cazorla :o

and Rosicky!

4th.

With the squad at our disposal that was a reasonable return. Hoping for better this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

2z40goz.gif

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    With the squad at our disposal that was a reasonable return. Hoping for better this year
    What are you trying to say? That having Arteta in that position makes finishing 4th acceptable?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement