Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Metro (I know I know) saying we're actually going to pay Bendtner 3m to go to Palace.

Assuming he is on 50k a week that would mean 3m / 50k = toughly little over 1 year (60 weeks) remaining on his contract so 2014 is roughly the year of termination. If anything he is probably on more then 50k as his contract would in all probability officially end July 1st 2014 so that would suggest closer to 60k a week.

That would mean that in 2009, Bendy signed a 5 year contract :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What are you trying to say? That having Arteta in that position makes finishing 4th acceptable?

When you compare our squad to those of the 3 teams above us, 4th was a reasonable return.

greendom wrote: »
    When you compare our squad to those of the 3 teams above us, 4th was a reasonable return.

So you agree with me that Arteta isn't good enough to play in a team aspiring to win the league? I really fail to see your point, we did "just fine" with everyone in the squad, improvements are needed all over the pitch.

4th.

If Ozil is the only signing he's been lining up then it's been a poor window.

If the form book is anything to go by then we are good enough to be contenders and that the squad has gelled only to add one or two names to it in order to give it strength in depth.

We came 4th last year because the damage to our title/2nd hopes was done very early. Back 19 games of the season we were best team. Squad has improved even since then and now with the additions of Ozil and Flamster it gives us further experience and strength. Add another name or two and get the lads back from injury and we'll be on the pigs back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

What are you trying to say? That having Arteta in that position makes finishing 4th acceptable?

4th is acceptable. Would you have rathered we finish 5th?

Fourth is pretty much the same as second. For me, it's 1st, 2nd to 4th, 5th and below. Those are the three categories. Finishing in that middle category is acceptable. Finishing in the first one is the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

gnfnrhead wrote: »

Fourth is pretty much the same as second. For me, it's 1st, 2nd to 4th, 5th and below. Those are the three categories. Finishing in that middle category is acceptable. Finishing in the first one is the goal.

No finishing 1st acceptable anything else is a fail. I don't get fan's who are happy to accept 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

No way. 3rd and 2nd are pretty much identical. I hate 4th and I hate Champions League qualification pre-game nerves.

So you agree with me that Arteta isn't good enough to play in a team aspiring to win the league? I really fail to see your point, we did "just fine" with everyone in the squad, improvements are needed all over the pitch.

The squad has improved over the course of the season. The new boys Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud have all had their bedding in season and will improve this year. Ramsey is getting back to fulfilling the potential we all knew he had. I'm hoping the same is true with Wilshere. The Kos/Metersacker partnership has been a huge plus and only really came together in March of last season.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic about this season, before we even consider the new signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Wilshere hasn't reached full fitness this season, have arsenal fans seen something I haven't. Some saying he shouldn't be a starter? Are these the loon-fringe-element or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

I'm giddy from this Ozil talk.

Brain cannot process

• Advertisement

No way. 3rd and 2nd are pretty much identical. I hate 4th and I hate Champions League qualification pre-game nerves.

I think the team benefitted from the 2 Fenerbache games (bar the Podolski injury) and gave the team the confidence to beat Spurs.

And now a very realistic goal. 3 names of experience and class today, get the 5 boys back....and we'll challenge.

This squad of players have a great sense of togetherness. Had we a Mert or an Arteta instead of a Gallas and an Adebayor back in 07/08 we wouldnt have blown the league (I say this in terms of the leadership they show in contrast to the latter two as well as command of respect)

I think the team benefitted from the 2 Fenerbache games (bar the Podolski injury) and gave the team the confidence to beat Spurs.

I agree but in general I hate finishing 4th and knowing that it's around the corner, awaiting the draw etc. The tie against Udinese a few years ago had me worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

KINGVictor wrote: »
    Your fecking hilarious :D:D

must say i stole the pic its not my own work :)

I agree but in general I hate finishing 4th and knowing that it's around the corner, awaiting the draw etc. The tie against Udinese a few years ago had me worried.

With Ozil signing and another two top signings and this team can go for the title. I hate that some of the fan's on here are happy to accept 4th right now. I want us to fight for the title and the cups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Looper007 wrote: »
    With Ozil signing and another two top signings and this team can go for the title. I hate that some of the fan's on here are happy to accept 4th right now. I want us to fight for the title and the cups.

I think every Arsenal fan wants us to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think I owe emiringstar an apology, he was right all along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Just after bumping into Djourou, literally, he was too busy texting to pay attention to where he was walking, me too :D

FearDark wrote: »
    I think every Arsenal fan wants us to win.

Well I like us to show it a little more. This team we have is very good with Ozil it can get better and with another two great signings and we will be a team to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Ozil deal looks to closing in now, despite conflicting reports of interest from Man U and the player himself being unsure of the move? We all have our targets and dreams of who we'd like to get in but realistically what do you see happening today apart from this potential deal? All talk of benzema seems to have silenced. Would you be satisfied with oz, di Maria and Ba ( as is widely being reported) so you think there'll be any other surprises?

jester77 wrote: »
    Just after bumping into Djourou, literally, he was too busy texting to pay attention to where he was walking, me too :D

How's he playing over there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

On the game yesterday lads, have to say this Arsenal team have all the materials to be title challengers, the heart the lads showed out on the pitch yesterday was great to see. I think we are finally turning a corner now and Wengers plans are falling into place, what a difference 2 weeks in football makes eh, exciting times ahead for us!!!

jester77 wrote: »

Probably why he is so injury prone :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

What a midfield we have.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    On the game yesterday lads, have to say this Arsenal team have all the materials to be title challengers, the heart the lads showed out on the pitch yesterday was great to see. I think we are finally turning a corner now and Wengers plans are falling into place, what a difference 2 weeks in football makes eh, exciting times ahead for us!!!

I think a very good striker and another top class signing and I think we be very happy fan's come 11 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Can't believe we're gonna sign Özil. I'll go out tomorrow and buy a jersey with his name on it if it comes through.

Absolutely ****in' brilliant!

I think a very good striker and another top class signing and I think we be very happy fan's come 11 pm.

Rumoured to be currently in talks with Chelsea for Demba Ba. Think it probably only a loan move with option to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Can't believe we're gonna sign Özil. I'll go out tomorrow and buy a jersey with his name on it if it comes through.

Absolutely ****in' brilliant!

Real cheap too, only 4 letters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Ba as a backup to Giroud is OK. a bit meh. I'd be intrigued by Abel Hernandez, as he's an unknown quantity to me. Ideally we'd sign someone who would be ahead of Giroud in ability. We've got the cash to do it, but probably not the time! but Ba on a 1 year loan with work being done on another striker at the end of the season, wouldn't be awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Ozil, Ba, Viviano & Cabaye would be a good days work !! Although Viviano looks like he will keep up the tradition of recent arsenal goalkeepers !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPv7T5XtgU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fair play if ye get Ozil lads. Huge signing for ye, could be a club legend given his age and background. He was fecked around a bit at Madrid so if things go well at Arsenal and he gets offered decent wage increases on the next couple of contracts he might be content to stick around for a good while.

You've had an immensely frustrating summer so I don't think any opposition fans (well, maybe Spurs fans excepted! :)) could begrudge you this one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Really happy with Ozil but we can't stop there. Really need another big name signing at CF and cover at the back. Not sure how I feel about Ba

Ozil deal looks to closing in now, despite conflicting reports of interest from Man U and the player himself being unsure of the move? We all have our targets and dreams of who we'd like to get in but realistically what do you see happening today apart from this potential deal? All talk of benzema seems to have silenced. Would you be satisfied with oz, di Maria and Ba ( as is widely being reported) so you think there'll be any other surprises?

Benzema probably depended on Liverpool's willingness to sell Suarez to Real which i think he'll probably stay on now tbh.

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Really happy with Ozil but we can't stop there. Really need another big name signing at CF and cover at the back. Not sure how I feel about Ba

Ba i'm not too crazy about but rather have him then no striker. But agree we need more top signings by 11 pm.

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »

Apparently we're done at the back. I imagine it'll be Ba, Viviano and Ozil (I like how I can just casually say that :D) and hopefully a winger too. We're still very light on the wings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Demba Ba would be a very shrewd signing, he is a 20+ goals a season striker with the right service and the good thing is he wouldn't mind been used in a rotation system between himself and Giroud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

How's he playing over there?

To be honest I don't know, I would be more of a St. Pauli follower. HSV have had a poor start to the season, they picked up their first win at the weekend. A girl came running out of a shop to get a photo with him, so at least he gets recognised!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ozil is an incredible signing for Arsenal
    i can't believe Madrid are letting him go
    he is there best player after Ronaldo

I think we should do a take it or leave it bid for Suarez. The later is gets, the less likely they are to sell. They could very well be tempted to give Rodgers an extra bit of cash for a couple of late signings considering how well his other signings are doing.

• Advertisement

Apparently we're done at the back. I imagine it'll be Ba, Viviano and Ozil (I like how I can just casually say that :D) and hopefully a winger too. We're still very light on the wings.

I think Kos, Mert, Verm and Sagna will do the job. We were the second best defence last season.

Another striker is a must and a top quality one at that.

another LW too would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

So am Lambart or Shevely anyone

If the form book is anything to go by then we are good enough to be contenders and that the squad has gelled only to add one or two names to it in order to give it strength in depth.

We came 4th last year because the damage to our title/2nd hopes was done very early. Back 19 games of the season we were best team. Squad has improved even since then and now with the additions of Ozil and Flamster it gives us further experience and strength. Add another name or two and get the lads back from injury and we'll be on the pigs back.
    Back 19 games of the season including being embarrassed in Europe and embarrassed by Blackburn Rovers. Even just going by form, we got 40 points over the second half of last season, that's not a league-winning ppg.
    The squad has improved over the course of the season. The new boys Cazorla, Podolski and Giroud have all had their bedding in season and will improve this year. Ramsey is getting back to fulfilling the potential we all knew he had. I'm hoping the same is true with Wilshere. The Kos/Metersacker partnership has been a huge plus and only really came together in March of last season.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic about this season, before we even consider the new signings
    Over the course of last season or this season? If you mean this season then yes, it would be quite difficult to not improve on a 3-1 home loss to a team that spent all last season in the bottom half of the table.

wawaman wrote: »
    Ozil, Ba, Viviano & Cabaye would be a good days work !! Although Viviano looks like he will keep up the tradition of recent arsenal goalkeepers !
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rPv7T5XtgU

Looked to have gotten injured in that though which to be fair could easily happen.

Back 19 games of the season including being embarrassed in Europe and embarrassed by Blackburn Rovers. Even just going by form, we got 40 points over the second half of last season, that's not a league-winning ppg.

Topped the 2nd half of the table iirc. Granted the cup form was poor but Blackburn was one of those freak games while Bayern are a class side who went on to win the CL and who we went on to beat 2-0 in their own backyard and near almost knocked out of Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I owe you an apology!

You kept the faith and it seems it has paid off.

Topped the 2nd half of the table iirc. Granted the cup form was poor but Blackburn was one of those freak games while Bayern are a class side who went on to win the CL and who we went on to beat 2-0 in their own backyard and near almost knocked out of Europe

United topped by a point or two. Basically, had we beaten them instead of drawn, we'd have topped it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Over the course of last season or this season? If you mean this season then yes, it would be quite difficult to not improve on a 3-1 home loss to a team that spent all last season in the bottom half of the table.

On today of all days, could not try not to be so pessimistic and miserable ALL the time.

The top players we need :pac:
    You can go a little crazy at times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Could you not just for one day sit back and smell the coffee?

Edit: already covered above :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement